Tottenham Thread

I'm really enjoying this brand of football, long live the 'Tottenham way!'

All Sherwood had to do was tweak what was already in place but he has got rid of the good bits and is starting from scratch.

All the structure, discipline and pressing that AVB drilled into the team has gone.

Insisting on playing Dembele further forward than Paulinho is just silly. Dembele is one of the most frustrating players I've every seem play for Spurs.

He brings Bentaleb into the team knowing his qualities only to nullify them by playing him in a deep position. If anyone saw the U21's play last season they'd know that he is a dynamic CM that operates best when he has protection (Carroll and Milos).

I've got lots more to complain (Aaron Lennon!!!) about but I'm still confident that we'll finish in the top four, such a frustrating season.

Have to disagree with you Tobi about top 4.

Liverpool looking really good at the moment. Part of me really wants them to get 4th after the way they demolished our bitter rivals. Take into account the goal difference LFC have on us added with a trip to Anfield, we've got an absolute mountain to climb!

I'm not at all confident that we'll finish top 4. Having watched the game yesterday, we were woefully bad (slow start again!)

And while we restricted Everton to few chances in the 2nd half, they still showed more passion and desire than we did (every second ball, possession, et al).

Half the players were still in sleep mode and constantly giving the ball away. Thank goodness for Lloris.

Onto the next game at struggling Newcastle. Can't see us winning. We always struggle at their place.

Last edited:
Spurs scored from their first shot on target, from a cheeky free kick with help from the ref who let them take it fast, not from the spot.

Spurs were terrible yesterday. Credit, they won, but it was woeful, Everton played them off the pitch.

Spurs scored from their first shot on target, from a cheeky free kick with help from the ref who let them take it fast, not from the spot.

Spurs were terrible yesterday. Credit, they won, but it was woeful, Everton played them off the pitch.

Have to agree with that beach...i saw the match and Everton deserved to win...

It also seems that Spurs fans (not only tobi) blame Dembele for everything that goes wrong.

There is a lack of creativity in the team.Dembele is perhaps the only one who tries something creative, but at times he slows down the game.... i know i'm biased because i'm fond of him, but what about the other players ?

Some Spurs fans rave about Eriksen, what did he do to deserve that, he'sbeen fairly ordinary. Townsend ? One of the most selfish and ineffective players of the league... Why not give Lamela a chance ? Why loan Holtby to Fulham...Sherwood has luck, imo he's clueless... When Adebayor is the best player, what more is thereto say ?

Gerd I could (and I'm sure I have previously) criticized other players but Dembele is by far the most frustrating, he could be an amazing player but his vision is non existent and it will forever hold him back.

I can forgive him for not being able to shoot well consistently but repeatedly missing (tunnel vision) and ignoring (when he turns into a basketball player and goes into iso mode) others ahead of you is just :BRICK:

Eriksen was poor yesterday but he can only do so much playing from the left and he is the most creative player available. Also how Lennon stayed on the pitch is just laughable, I'd love to know what Chadli thinks.

Only Hugo and Adebayor came away with any credit from that game, no structure, no shape, no movement, no tactics - just awful.

I think Louis van Gaal will change Spurs in the rightful way. He could be a permitted solution and would not have any complex w/ his decision making.

Performance was pathetic yesterday. I'd like to say that the curse of the Europa League struck but there were players out there who didn't play on Thursday and they too were poor.

Don't think we had a single shot on target yesterday.

Also, why was Eriksen on the bench throughout the match when Spurs desperately needed creativity?

However, if we don't qualify for the Europa League again, it will be too soon. I hope we get knocked out on Thursday.

Cardiff now a must win and then see what happens against Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool...0 points!

I only watched the first half, but it was all too clear that frustration among the players is building up...
Very very poor performance...

I'm just wait for LVG now, a strong squad being made to look average.

With Van Gaal it is all or nothing.
He's done well with Ajax, AZ and bayern Munchen.
But he has had specatacular failures too.
You should read the book about the German GK who comitted suicide. The way he was treated by Van Gaal and Frank De Boer (the other candidate that is often mentioned) is really disgracefull.

I read that book on Robert Enke, it's true Van Gaal and De Boer do not come across very well at all. But the club he was at come across even worse. They didn't support him as an employee at all, let say that Van Gaal and De Boer didn't like Enke or didnt agree with him (however you want to phrase it) and it's clear he wasnt really given a fair chance and they just decided the club would go in a different direction. These things can happen in football, often players are brought by manager X, only for manager Y to take over a few months later.

However what was disgusting was the way the club, as an organisation, treated him. He had already had panic attacks before moving to Spain, and it was fairly well known that he was suffering from depression, yet instead of offering him help and treatment they booted him out loaning him abroad and then to the Spanish second division.

van gaal is one of the best ever for me. he is a builder from zero. but spurs need proper man management, a motivator imo.

I was impressed by Van Gaal and most of all because what he achieved with AZ.
I remember the book about Enke very well edmundo.
It was much worse what they did to Enke: both Van Gaal and De Boer (as a player) tried to give him the blam for their own failure in one particular cup match against a lower league team...i guess this happens (i see it happening in my professinal life too) but i' m rather harsh for things like that.

Van Gaal wasn't the biggest success with the Dutch national team either...on the other hand it was definitely him that laid the foudations for the fantastic Bayern team that we see no...

Looked like Vertonghen provoked and overdramatized a bit there to get a red card for Dnipro. If that's the case, he's worth less than used socks in my eyes.

He did it also with Torres, yes Torres scratched him, but the contact was slight and Verthongen milked it. Should Torres have got in trouble for the scratch probably yes, just like the Dnipro striker should have got a red card, and you could say give this maybe Soldado should have got a red card for that elbow lat night. But Verthongen needs to watch his behaviour, if he keeps making a meal out of these incidents his credibility will go and refs won't give him anything (like what happens with Suarez now).

Also in my opinion Dawson was very lucky to stay on the pitch, that tackle he did at the end could have been a direct red (it was a yellow), but he also could have got a yellow earlier in the game (after the Verthongen incident) when he was very confrontational. In any case Dawson is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen, the classic donkey, he doesnt read the game well at all but instead relies on making last ditch tackles after poor positioning, he always makes at least one catastrophic (or potentially catastrophic) error per game. I understand he used to be known as "Dickie" Dawson amongst Spurs fans/players a few years ago (due to his chronic ineptitude, "Dickie" rhyming with thickie) and he still looks so suspect. To really see how bad he is you just have to see how assured Chirices looks when he plays and how much more solid Spurs are.

I'm not suprised about that at all by Vertonghen. He was like that at Ajax too. Very sneaky player.

I'm not suprised about that at all by Vertonghen. He was like that at Ajax too. Very sneaky player.

Must be something he picked up there then. Two of the dirtiest players in recent history hails from Ajax as well so there's enough to ponder the point at least. Mark van Bommel and Nigel de Jong. Luis Suarez is also a fairly untamed beast, and has a past in Ajax as well... this is interesting.

Must be something he picked up there then. Two of the dirtiest players in recent history hails from Ajax as well so there's enough to ponder the point at least. Mark van Bommel and Nigel de Jong. Luis Suarez is also a fairly untamed beast, and has a past in Ajax as well... this is interesting.

Van Bommel doesn't hail from Ajax mate. ;)

But yeah, they have had some dirty players. Suarez was worse at Ajax than he is at Liverpool. He dove pretty much every game and bit Otman Bakkal too.

Right you are, he's PSV obviously. I don't really know Ajax well but I thought they were actually trying to represent a very positive and entertaining football. I've not been impressed with what I've seen in Europa League by them so far...

Last edited:
Spurs will be lucky if they manage 3 points in the next 4 matches. They've been very weak the last few matches, I saw Dnipro match which was a disaster in all but result. The Cardiff match was also pitiful and from what I read they were pathetic against Norwich. This team is a shame for PL and buckle under the slightest amount of pressure.

Chelsea (A) - total humiliation
Arsenal (H) - total humiliation
Southampton (H) - possible win
Liverpool (A) - total humiliation

I predict 2-12 or worse goal difference in these four matches.

EDIT: Thought I posted this in the PL thread... oh well I guess not.

Last edited:
Not a lot to shout about, I don't enjoy watching the team.

Back
Top Bottom