Tottenham Thread

A year of disastrous football, despite some results, is the proof that this wasn't "impulse" at all. Not all fans like their club playing piss poor football even if Man Utd fans didn't seem to mind for a few years lately.

if Utd played piss poor all that time and still won those titles..what does that say about the other teams? Playing unattractive football perhaps..but football that gets results isn't poor imho. Surely you as a German understand that :BOP:

I'm not German.

3 League Titles in the last 5 seasons :SMUG: yeah im OK with that.

I would too... mark emphasis on "OK" because the way they came wasn't much to be proud of. If you disagree, then fine.. it's really no point in discussing it.

if Utd played piss poor all that time and still won those titles..what does that say about the other teams?

Yes, what does it say? They sucked more perhaps?

It's quite obvious...

Last edited:
I would too... mark emphasis on "OK" because the way they came wasn't much to be proud of. If you disagree, then fine.. it's really no point in discussing it.

Wait...what? United shouldn't be proud of winning 3 out of the last 5 seasons (and coming 2nd by a point and GD the other two years) because the quality of football wasn't the best? What planet do you live on?

I'm more proud of Ferguson and United because they were able to compete at the very top for so long despite lacking the kind of investment happening all around them. It shows desire and a believe in working hard and over achieving given your talent level.

I'm far more proud of that then spunking a billion pounds on a dream team and being shocked when your 20 full international superstars all start playing well.

I am Swedish, actually and I joined the forum a couple of months ago. The only other PES related forum I've been active in is PSD under the nick "Batigol".

Wait...what? United shouldn't be proud of winning 3 out of the last 5 seasons (and coming 2nd by a point and GD the other two years) because the quality of football wasn't the best? What planet do you live on?

I'm more proud of Ferguson and United because they were able to compete at the very top for so long despite lacking the kind of investment happening all around them. It shows desire and a believe in working hard and over achieving given your talent level.

I'm far more proud of that then spunking a billion pounds on a dream team and being shocked when your 20 full international superstars all start playing well.

Being "happy" and being "proud" are two different things. Maybe United occasionally played well enough not to be completely ashamed the last two-three seasons under Ferguson but I would personally be more happy with the trophies. The few seasons before that I didn't really watch PL so I wouldn't know how anyone played. I agree that pride on account of the entertainment value comes secondary to actual trophies but the few matches I watched by United was borderline pathetic. When a team playing that badly wins the league it's a sign of weakness, and there's no wonder why there's always speculation that referees occasionally see/saw things in United's/Fergie's favor. PL seems stronger this year, and look where United is... tied with Spurs, and Spurs is having an abysmal season.

-----------

I can see Spurs going mid-table this year unless they find a good rhythm soon.

Last edited:
Im not sure I see the humor in the stats. Stokes had 3 players suspended :R1 from their last match. Good to see Spurs scoring from the spot to kick off their goals.

I find it rather odd that given the 'crisis' of a season that we seem to be having, we're still only 3 points off 4th and level on points with the champions.

Its more to do with the points teams seem to be dropping rather than us doing well. Although, we do have more points at this stage than we did last season (strange as we had a certain Mr. Bale in our team and went on to achieve our highest ever points tally.)

That also tells me that teams have improved vastly on last season as well (Everton, Liverpool, Newcastle et al.)

Looking forward to the NYD clash at Old Trafford with renewed optimism. Expecting a real humdinger of a game.

I find it rather odd that given the 'crisis' of a season that we seem to be having, we're still only 3 points off 4th and level on points with the champions.

Its more to do with the points teams seem to be dropping rather than us doing well. Although, we do have more points at this stage than we did last season (strange as we had a certain Mr. Bale in our team and went on to achieve our highest ever points tally.)

That also tells me that teams have improved vastly on last season as well (Everton, Liverpool, Newcastle et al.)

Looking forward to the NYD clash at Old Trafford with renewed optimism. Expecting a real humdinger of a game.
Yep its a weird season. Hopefully it ll get even more so with some shock January signings.
Hope the game at OT won't be as God awful like the game at WH Lane. Als hope we have some more of our regular starters back fromm injury for this one. Our B team like we fielded in the last game wont cut it against the Spurs imho

The thing about Spurs is the amount they spend and the hope they could or should be in the title hunt. Spurs out spend CITY n Chelsea combine:CONFUSE:

That is not true...you "forget" the Bale money...

Yes, but in the financial world ins` are in`s and outs` are out`s.
Spurs did very good business in buying n selling, but their profits aren`t leaps and bounds. A business model to respect , yes to some degree. A business model to grow fail! Fail, and Failed.

Spurs were so close in over throwing Arsenal, they were for the taking the difference is Arsenal stood by Wenger when the fans didn`t. Why? in a business aspect his pride was club 1st and him second. His legacy is running a successful model in an era where sugar daddy dump irresponsibly for success.Arsenal spends lots I know ,but they pay their debts responsibly. As a fan i hate seeing us drift behind season after season. Today, the tides are changing slowly. Spurs have a business model, they just lack faith in the person they hire to do the job. Spurs aren`t City ,nor Chelsea. They can afford to change bosses they`re model supports it. Spur`s model shouldn`t.

Last edited:
Spurs have a business model, they just lack faith in the person they hire to do the job. Spurs aren`t City ,nor Chelsea. They can afford to change bosses they`re model supports it. Spur`s model shouldn`t.

There was two incredibly strong reasons for sacking the previous two managers though. Had Wenger or any other for that matter made the same grave mistakes they would've been sacked as well.

- Redknapp had a very large squad but stuck with the same 11 players even when they were dead tired. That failed miserably as we all know. He's not much of a people person either, some love him while most doesn't.

- AVB has a single rigid match plan that the whole world knows in-and-out by now, and as long as he doesn't have a superior squad, as he did in Porto, he's doomed to fail. He continually got outsmarted or at the very least nullified by inferior teams.

Spurs gave them both the chance to do something about it, the signs were there and they didn't listen at all. Out the door, please.

-----

I know they won but how did Spurs play against Stoke?
Is there any signs of giving Manchester United a fight for the points in the upcoming match?

Last edited:
Cheers gerd :) can`t agree too much you`ll lose respect around here :P

@ZeroTheHero - wh0 takes the blame then? the one that hires? Spurs had a long serving squad and that made them such a strong force. Yet, your points are valid w/ both managers. Arry was loved by the media more than any gaffer in the modern day . Although, they were funny moments when called, a wheeler dealer :LOL:

Spurs played a wounded Stokes ,but should of buried them to the grave 5-0. I think MUTD are a confident animal pegged in a corner. I see a draw 1-1 w/ Spurs dominating every position. At worst they lose ,but play the better football.

Well, few clubs hang on to an unsuccessful/under-performing manager for long. Heck, most ambitious clubs doesn't hang on to a moderately successful one either. The blame is ultimately on the person that fails, but he who decides what is failure or not is the one that hires and fires.

Would you run your car on the wrong gasoline just because it's expensive to get some new, possibly right, gasoline for your car?

I thought so...

Wrong gasoline might not kill your engine outright, but it will harm over time. Better switch before it's too late.

Anyway, looking at Sherwood's results so far it's quite clear that when an unqualified person with a far from contemporary view on football tactics can make this squad perform better than AVB it's obvious that AVB should consider finding a different career. Spurs has actually played some nice team based football for the first time in one and a half season. I read somewhere that there are two kinds of people... those who learn from their mistakes and those who doesn't. AVB is evidently the latter type, which is not a perk to say the least. His results weren't abysmal but his football were and luck doesn't last forever.

------------

I didn't see the United match either but from what I've read about it the result was somewhat fair. I think this proves how utterly talent-less AVB really is. Unless Sherwood is a genius, which I highly doubt.

Last edited:
Anyway, looking at Sherwood's results so far it's quite clear that when an unqualified person with a far from contemporary view on football tactics can make this squad perform better than AVB it's obvious that AVB should consider finding a different career. Spurs has actually played some nice team based football for the first time in one and a half season. I read somewhere that there are two kinds of people... those who learn from their mistakes and those who doesn't. AVB is evidently the latter type, which is not a perk to say the least. His results weren't abysmal but his football were and luck doesn't last forever.

------------

I didn't see the United match either but from what I've read about it the result was somewhat fair. I think this proves how utterly talent-less AVB really is. Unless Sherwood is a genius, which I highly doubt.

Well, I'm not going to claim Sherwood is a genius, but he's definitely not the tactically dumbfounded 4-4-2 "up and at them"-type of manager/coach a lot of people seem to think he is. If you've seen our games since he took over, we've been playing a variety of formations and have often changed things up during games. But I got to give it to him - it definitely helps being the lenient, regarded as a bit of a "simpleton" type of of coach when talking to the press after matches, they love that, and he's giving it to them, taking off a lot of the pressure AVB received for being too serious and tactical in his media talks. It seems a wise move so far.

Since Sherwood has taken over Spurs lie in 2nd place in the PL with ourselves top. Should be a good open game. Can see there being another 6 goals again, tho not all of them ours this time. You just know Adebayor is gonna have one of those unplayable games on wednesday night

Ref's a complete dipstick and a douchnozzle. Clearly never a penalty, and should of never sent Rose off. Also it should've been a goal earlier.

Spurs are 5th in the table with a negative goal difference. That's bizarre.

Linesman was right to disallow Dawson's goal, but the Rose one is soooo harsh. Marriner wasn't even going to give a foul, could easily have produced a yellow and been okay.

(and then yellows for both Silva and Navas who you can quite clearly see running up waving imaginary cards - it's in the same guidelines as the red for preventing a goal-scoring opportunity).

Referees do themselves no favours. This season has been the worst I can remember in terms of game changing decisions.

Personally thought it was offside because Adebayor attempted to head it. Not sure it was a freekick in the first place.

Wasn't a pen but in real time I thought it was. Tough for the linesman.

Whayever the case may be, I don't think there are many parallel universes out there where Spurs won tonight. We played well right from the off. :COOL:

I agree that was offside on adebayor , Rose looks very poor he was poor vs Liverpool , united (Adnan totally owned him) and now vs city too , pretty much every match of spurs I see rose play bad.

City should already have got a penalty in the first half (hands by Walker).
Beach, have you seen the match ?
City totally outplayed us, whatever the ref decided (to me it was a penalty) made no difference whatsoever...it should have been 0-4 after 20 minutes...
By always focussing on the refs, you "forget" how strong City are.

Best team in theleague by a mile.
It's interesting what Mourinho will do at the Etihad. He should go for a win against a direct opponent who is above Chelsea. But my guess is that he will go for a draw and hope that City will loose points against other teams...

About Spurs: can we have a "real" manager now ?
Against both Arsenal and City Sherwood proved that he is tactically inept, but the Brittish press prefer tactically inept manager who are nice to them and in some way it tends to work for Spurs (Redknapp and now Sherwood, who had a good start).

It is pretty clear that Spurs will not end in the top 4.
Hope we can do well in the UEFA Cup, but frankly who cares about the UEFA Cup ?

City were great, but as always, it's impossible to know what would have happened had Spurs stayed with 11 men. They ended the first half better.

And the FA agree it wasn't a penalty and red card: http://www1.skysports.com/football/...turns-red-card-shown-to-tottenhams-danny-rose

Ooops, says another game-changing referee.

Just saying it's ludicrous that one man can impact an event so thoroughly, without the benefit of technology to make the right decisions.

Back
Top Bottom