Tottenham Thread

Spurs is considering AVB's position and rightly so. With that squad available to him he should be able to at least score some goals even if the squad isn't gelled properly.

It even seems like he forbids the team to counter attack, when they have a squad that would be very suited for it.

He is a great manager and he has brought amazing players since he arrived (altough he may have brought too much players and he completely fucked up the left back position). If he is sacked the squad his succesor would inherit is a lot better than the one Villas Boas inherited. With the players Spurs have, they have the potential to be the best team in the league in not very long

He didn't bring anyone, Levy did. I'm usually very much in favor of patience when it comes to managers but Villas Boas has struggled to make a good squad perform for a long while now. When you look at his decision making it crucial situations, not thinking of the Lloris incident, he seems to fumble rather than having a clear plan. He constantly use players out of positions and doesn't seem to be able to find a formation that fits the squad and the only thing that has been decent on occasion is his defense which is now faltering as well. He also does not seem to have a clear strategy unless the strategy is to bore everyone to death.

Last edited:
Spurs are still reeling from the fact Bale was baling them out time and time again last year, no one has stepped up this year in his place and maybe that's because most of those attacking players are just settling in themselves.

He didn't bring anyone, Levy did. I'm usually very much in favor of patience when it comes to managers but Villas Boas has struggled to make a good squad perform for a long while now. When you look at his decision making it crucial situations, not thinking of the Lloris incident, he seems to fumble rather than having a clear plan. He constantly use players out of positions and doesn't seem to be able to find a formation that fits the squad and the only thing that has been decent on occasion is his defense which is now faltering as well. He also does not seem to have a clear strategy unless the strategy is to bore everyone to death.
Baldini and Villas Boas are the ones that decide which players to buy.

Spurs are still reeling from the fact Bale was baling them out time and time again last year, no one has stepped up this year in his place and maybe that's because most of those attacking players are just settling in themselves.

Exactly.
Patience is needed more than ever.
Sacking managers never helps, there is even a scientific study about that...

The only thing about AVB is that he needs to get it right again soon, imo. He obviously had a very strong profile from his time at Porto - but - it's starting to look like perhaps that was the exception rather than the rule. As I understand it, Porto's team was a large level above everyone else in that league, so it's easy to question him, unfortunately.

I like him and he's the 'type' of manager I much prefer to ex-players, but he does have to start demonstrating he can do it after his time in England.

Like w virtually any sport out there: the true value/worth of a coach doesn't become apparent until he/she assembled a team with players brought in under their tutelage. It's the reason why the Wengers, SAFs, or the Phil Jacksons (NBA) are such unique success stories IMHO.

I don't totally agree with that. Some coaches like Ancelotti, Van Gaal and to a lesser extent Benitez have demonstrated the ability to take any set of players and do well with them.

That's massively out of order.

He paid his ticket, he should be able to chant anything he wants as long as it isn't something racist or extremely offensive.

Actually, Norway takes freedom of speech really seriously so he could be uttering racist viewpoints if he wanted to, unless they're directed at someone specific. There's freedom of religion too, so you could technically invent a few doctrines and have racism as a part of the religion and you would be untouchable by the law as long as you didn't direct the hatred at any specific person. He wouldn't become particularly popular though...

Nice to see that AVB got to pull his weight one last time before he's a goner.

Last edited:
That's massively out of order.

He paid his ticket, he should be able to chant anything he wants as long as it isn't something racist or extremely offensive.

I don't agree YoungGun, it's not because people pay a ticket that they can say anything.
I can understand AVB. Is that because i'm a Spurs fan ? Perhaps, but i don't think so...i still understand Cantona against Crystal Palace...

It is not because someone pays a ticket that he can shout whatever.There are limits to the freedom of speech.

There was this case of a(very good) Belgian football player whose wife had an affair with a (very good) cyclist. I was at the match a couple of days after this was disclosed in the media. Everytime the player had the ball half of the stadium sung the name of his wife's lover...he clearly suffered because of it and was substituted after less than half an hour...at the time i thought that was shocking behaviour from those fans (fans of the team i supported by the way).

Last edited:
I actually agree with gerd on this one. Shit-throwing has become a large part of football and it's really not OK. Players and staff are there to do a job and regardless of how they do it they shouldn't have to listen to shit from the stands.

If your local newspaper guy delivers the paper too late, do you start to sing "gone tomorrow!" as he walks by?

Common courtesy should apply on the stands as well as on the pitch. If anything, players have a better excuse for losing their heads and mouthing off than the supporters.

Sorry but I got to disagree. Unless there are offensive words toward Villas Boas in that chant, it is out of order indeed to eject a fan because of that. Only because he said AVB would be "sacked in the morning".

Apparently the fan wasn't exactly ejected. He was politely invited by a steward to sit on the other side of the ground, but the fan refused and said he'd go to the pub instead.
Still, the point stands. He paid for that seat and I don't think he did anything that justifies all this.

He was probably the only one in there singing that chant and AVB could spot him and single him out for it. But these things shouldn't get to a football manager anyway.

How many times did Wenger have to hear chants that were much worse, full of abuse saying he's a pedofile, especially at Tottenham's ground? Yet he never made a big deal out of it and just ignored all that nonsense.

The guy never stopped for 45 minutes apparently...
Your argument about Wenger and the Spurs fan is of no signicance, they also should be thrown out...
I imagineme being at work and some clown saying i will be sacked in the morning...and that for half of my workday...great...

It is not because a moron pays that this gives him a license to act like a moron. Adult people should behave even at football matches...

I also don't understand why you come up with that endlessly and boring rivalry between Spurs and Arsenal. The day that Spurs stops to look at Arsenal they will be a big team, i have the feeling that Arsenal as a club does not care much about Spurs, they just want to win things and don't look at Spurs...only the fans do these silly things.

Thinking Spurs are going to get their big 'finally getting it right' win tomorrow - at least in terms of the press. Will be a massive boon for AVB.

And the press won't be entirely right - this Spurs team is absolutely perfect to take advantage of United's weaknesses. That big middle bit, basically.

I could see Spurs comfortably walking out 3-0 winners at WHL against United, but then going straight back to dull draws and losses afterwards. Bizarrely, United are a better opponent for Spurs than someone like Southampton this year. United play open and give up chances to run at the back four - especially through attacking midfield positions - and that is exactly how Holtby/Sigurdsson/Townsend/Paulinho love it.

How many times did Wenger have to hear chants that were much worse, full of abuse saying he's a pedofile, especially at Tottenham's ground? Yet he never made a big deal out of it and just ignored all that nonsense.

So by your reasoning it's OK to abuse Negroes because they have been treated poorly historically?

Think again dude, and leave the hypocrisy where the sun doesn't shine.

The guy never stopped for 45 minutes apparently...
Your argument about Wenger and the Spurs fan is of no signicance, they also should be thrown out...
I imagineme being at work and some clown saying i will be sacked in the morning...and that for half of my workday...great...

It is not because a moron pays that this gives him a license to act like a moron. Adult people should behave even at football matches...

I also don't understand why you come up with that endlessly and boring rivalry between Spurs and Arsenal. The day that Spurs stops to look at Arsenal they will be a big team, i have the feeling that Arsenal as a club does not care much about Spurs, they just want to win things and don't look at Spurs...only the fans do these silly things.

I think the argument was significant because we're talking about 2 football managers: one who wasn't insulted but let some annoying individual get to him; while the other had been sistematically insulted, not only at White Hart Lane.

I'm not saying these things in light of any rivalry between Arsenal and Spurs. Wenger got that kind of abuse in other places as well, but I only mentioned Spurs because we were discussing Villas Boas and Spurs.

As for the fans who shouted those things to Wenger, they couldn't have been thrown out because there were possibly hundreds of them. Impossible to identify them, and nobody will ever eject an entire section of the stands for this reason.

Hostility from opposition fans unfortunately is a part and parcel of the game. There will always be those morons who will insult while shielded by the sensation of anonymity. And they always go unpunished too, hence the surprise about this Tromso fan being singled out.

So by your reasoning it's OK to abuse Negroes because they have been treated poorly historically?

Think again dude, and leave the hypocrisy where the sun doesn't shine.

Where the fuck did that come from, pal? :SHOCK:

Negroes?? Really? I don't see any correlation to what we've been discussing here. Whatever it is you're smoking, I advise to lay off that shit!

Rentboy, it's true that it's not realistic to ban a whole section, and to me that's a pity. In Belgium there is a rulle that the ref can interrupt the match or even stop it if the crowd shots offensive things. Interruption is used very regularly, but in my memory a match has never been stopped.

To me the fact that the Tromsø fan was alone, makes him even more daft. He got what he deserved.

I shouldn't have brought up Arsenal-Spurs. I misunderstood you and should have known that you are not that kind of fan. I apologize.

Are you guys really that dense?

He said Villas Boas should be fine with verbal abuse because Wenger has to take it and he deals with it.

So what if we exchange Negroes with football coaches;

"So by your reasoning it's OK to keep abusing football players and coaches because they have been treated poorly historically?"

By using comparison, in this case Negroes, you see how utterly stupid that statement by rentboy really was.

:LOL:

Only by your reasoning, nobody elses, I think you need to see somebody.

I actually you need to see somebody too... a teacher or lecturer for example. Expand your mind.

Last edited:
Zero the hero, if you continue like this,you are gonna get banned pretty soon.
It's the way you discuss that is extremely irritating (even if i agree with you regularly).

Only say this to help...

Its like somebody saying 'I like drinking tea' and then you coming back and saying 'so by your reasoning you like drinking piss?!'

There is expanding my mind and then there is what you are doing by twisting things in a quite mental way and putting words into peoples mouths.

Thankfully I wasn't taught by your teachers or lecturers ;-)

"You're getting sacked in the morning" is hardly slanderous. AVB needs to grow a pair.

Anyway, 2 goals scored and only 2 conceded so far. Things are looking up!

Zero the hero, if you continue like this,you are gonna get banned pretty soon.
It's the way you discuss that is extremely irritating (even if i agree with you regularly).

Only say this to help...

It's annoying because 1) It is annoying to be proven wrong 2) People aren't used to being told something without the truth being cushioned 3) I don't try not to be annoying.

In my defense though, I think it's extremely annoying to see all the narrow-mindedness around here so I nearly go out of my good shoes to spread the opposite gospel even in cases I don't really care about.

-----

I didn't see the match but it's good to see Spurs score goals. A defensive midfielder and aright back on the sheet isn't really what Spurs would have hoped for but it's better than no goals.

Rentboy, it's true that it's not realistic to ban a whole section, and to me that's a pity. In Belgium there is a rulle that the ref can interrupt the match or even stop it if the crowd shots offensive things. Interruption is used very regularly, but in my memory a match has never been stopped.

To me the fact that the Tromsø fan was alone, makes him even more daft. He got what he deserved.

I shouldn't have brought up Arsenal-Spurs. I misunderstood you and should have known that you are not that kind of fan. I apologize.

No worries, Gerd.

As for match interruptions, I think refs anywhere in the world have the power to stop the match if they see fit. If I remember correctly, there was one friendly match not long ago that was interrupted because of racist shouts from the crowd. I think it was AC Milan and Kevin Prince Boateng was racially abused.

Still, nice to hear that Belgium is setting an example and not tolerating other forms of abuse as well.

It's annoying because 1) It is annoying to be proven wrong 2) People aren't used to being told something without the truth being cushioned 3) I don't try not to be annoying.

In my defense though, I think it's extremely annoying to see all the narrow-mindedness around here so I nearly go out of my good shoes to spread the opposite gospel even in cases I don't really care about.

Arguing with lunatics isn't my favourite sport, but I just thought we should set the record straight: you haven't proven anyone wrong, you've only managed to prove you're a fool. And what's annoying in all this is you. You say you don't try not to be annoying, but I'd go even further: it really looks as though you're trying your best to be a nuisance here at every opportunity.

I can't remember a forum member here ever posting so much shit with twisted logics, an aggressive stance and now, apparently, having a knack at manipulating other people's words.
I'd knock that shit out if I were you. And steer clear of controversial subjects that didn't even need to be brought up in the first place.
You should really listen to Gerd's advice.

Aaaanyway... watched the match today and while a draw suits us Gunners, I feel Tottenham were hard done by with that penalty call. I'm still not so sure about that. Especially after Sandro's wonder goal (you won't see many of those from him). That was really bad luck.

IMO it was a penalty rentboy. Lloris should never have gone into Wellbeck's feet. I know Wellbeck searched the contact with Lloris' hand, but most refs would that penalty.

IMO the key moment was Soldado's miss when it was 1-0.

On the counter dembele lost the ball and Walkerd gave that assist to Rooney. It was 1-1 instead of 2-0.
You could also clearly see that this team has not geleden yet. Best example was around the 38th minute when Lennon (excellent 1st half) went into the box with the ball, centered and nobody was before goal. Both Soldado and the Brzazilian midfielder (i always forget his name) never went for the ball because they never realised that Lennon would have that ball.

Back
Top Bottom