Tottenham Thread

I think Real Madrid do not need Bale.

Real Madrid is going to face very closed down defenses, lots of short passing and dribbling will be needed. Ronaldo and Di María currently fill in the gap for insanely fast wingers. Only if Bale was to play as the left fullback in a 5-3-2 formation it could make sense to sign him.

But for over 100M? Real would be better of getting Ibrahimovic, Gundogan/Kondogbia and Marco Reus for that money. That would be a much better reinforcement for the squad than getting a player that's well suited for open spaces and long runs, but not to short-pass sieges.

If Levy gets 60M + Di Maria + Coentrao not only he will get an insane deal, he could invest 20M in Ibrahimovic, 40M in Rooney, and just call it a day. Spurs would be top 3 for sure.

And who would pay the pages for Ibrahimovic and Rooney let alone the fact those two would never go to Tottenham.

I wouldn't be shocked if these numbers are just paper talk and he ends up going for a fee of around 50M with Di Maria going the other way.

As much as I would likeLove! the Spurs to get weaker ...sry gerd,Tobi,TSO and others in here. I `m being reminded just how vital Bale is, not only to the Spurs,but to the EPL in whole. Perez wants to sink this league. He wants the world to follow his league . I enjoy La Liga and follow it very well my mistress is RealBetis ,but I'm devoted to everything in the EPL.

Rooney is no longer the face of the league!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/09/article-2359033-1ABC8FC1000005DC-12_634x521.jpg

How quickly things can change...

Just four years ago, Gareth Bale was a flop on his way out for £3m!

With all the ongoing talk regarding Gareth Bale and a potential record breaking transfer to Real Madrid, one could be forgiven for assuming that Bale’s career has been permanently moving upwards. However, things weren’t always this bright for the young Welshman, evidenced by this photo making the rounds this morning.

tumblr_inline_mqpq74CiTX1qz4rgp.png

Way back in 2009, Gareth Bale was struggling. A persistent string of reoccurring injuries and an inability to break into Tottenham’s first team had many questioning whether he had much of a career at all. So bad were his first two years with Spurs, that many expected Bale to be shipped out during the Winter transfer window for a cut-rate price of £3m.

Fast forward just four years, and Bale is valued at around £86m.

How quickly things can change!

http://blog.foxsoccer.com/post/56805683807/what-a-difference-a-few-years-make

This is absolutely crazy.

It should not be closed at that amount. Bale is nowhere near that good.

Ronaldo has appeared in 159 games with Real Madrid, scoring 175 goals. That's exactly 1.1 goals per game over four years. That's stunning. There will never be another player like that playing for Real Madrid.

And yet they are willing to pay more for Bale. Who has a less than 0.25 goal/game ratio. Yeah, he's good. But he's not in the same league as Messi & Ronaldo.

Is he better than Rooney? Better than Neymar? Better than RVP? I don't know...

but he has 0.25 for tottenham, they are extremely inferior to real madrid, i dont think its suitable to compare, but anyway if bale goes to madrid he'll need to improve his diving, how many times did he get caught diving last season? approximatley 5,347 times.

Ronaldo Nazario scored 42 goals in 46 games for PSV.
Romário scored 96 goals in 107 games for PSV.

Those were 100M worth players, breaking every record in the start of their careers for weak teams. I know Bale is not a striker. I know his contribution to the game goes further beyond his goals.

Still, you only pay the highest sum ever paid for a footballer if you are witnessing a rising start similar to these. Bale is awesome, yet he's no Giggs. No Figo. He's firmly in Beckham, Overmars territory: awesome player, yet not sure to be an über-classic superstar of all time.

Levy is playing with the boy, though. It is not fair to be rejecting these kind of stratospheric offers and denying the kid the chance to play the UCL next year... Just let him go already and cash in the most profitable transfer in the history of football.

Levy has every right to play it this way. Do you think Real Madrid have a divine right to buy Spurs' best player every year ? (Modric, a fantastic player who should play every second for every club in the world, but who was a substitute for Real Madrid).

You can also see it another way. Here is a well led club (Spurs) that is beaten financially by a club that can outbuy other clubs because they were supported by a corrupt system. Real Madrid would have been bankrupt if the communidad Madrileno hadn't bought their grounds and gave it back to the club. That way it is easy to outbid every other club.

Let's state some facts:

- Bale had a gentlemen's agreement with Levy in case the Spurs failed to reach UCL.
- Spurs failed to reach UCL.
- Real Madrid made a bid for the player. A generous bid. Then made another. And another.
- Levy is rejecting the highest bid ever made for a player.
- Bale is annoyed by the fact that, seemingly, no amount will be enough for Levy to let him go.

Real Madrid have the same right as anyone else to bid for a player. I personally believe Levy is being cruel with the kid, even if he has every right to do whatever he pleases. It's his club, after all.

Now with history:

Real Madrid bought some land in what then was the outskirts of Madrid in the late 50s. They built some training grounds there in 1963. Everyone else bought land in the same area in those decades.

Then every land owner in the area started requesting their land would be re-qualified for housing purposes, as the city of Madrid was growing fast. The City Hall agreed to all those requests with time, and eventually the city grew and all the area surrounding the Ciudad Deportiva (training grounds) became houses and offices.

In the late 90s Real Madrid asked for that same re-qualification, and sold that land, which had appreciated in value enormously, in order to build new training grounds in the new outskirts and make a profit.

Nothing wrong or weird there. Just a hugely productive investment over 40 years that yielded good returns. Nobody should apologize for that.

The gentleman's agreement isn't fact, it's one side's belief.

Bale and his agent didn't learn from Modric and his alleged agreement. If it's not written into the contract it isn't valid.

In this case word is not bond and Bale should get a new agent.

Also I'm not convinced that they have made a bid. In these high profile cases when bids are made someone always leaks it. Right now is just Marca (and agent talk) and the media are speculating what the bid will be.

As for Levy being cruel, as Stephen A Smith would say, that's asinine.

Last edited:
I've heard several completely different versions of the story about Madrid grounds. They could all be wrong, but to be honest i don't believe your side of the story...don't take it personal.

Fact is that in cases like this, the selling club has all the power. Just lets see how desperate Madrid (or Perez) are to buy Bale. IMO Real Madrid (Zidane) isn't that desperate to buy Bale, but Perez wants to make a gesture towards the socio's.

Levy is well aware about this...

What Perez is doing, is bad management imo, but then he has a tradition for bad management.

In theory i'm as biased as you are gedtillo, because i'm a Spurs fan. But what i want is that Bale will effectively sold for as much as possible and that Spurs can buy a couple of really good players with the money they get for him...

30 years living in Madrid. Read the links regarding the UE investigation. Las Tablas (the area subject of this investigation - not the Ciudad Deportiva deal of the late 90s) was a virtual desert in 1998. There are tens of thousands of inhabitants today there. But let them investigate, and if there is a ruling that some wrong was made, let them pay the penalty, of course.

Now with footy :)

We Real Madrid supporters are totally against this madness of paying absurd amounts for players. I believe there must be some middle-man making lots of money, but we don't like it.

We like the signings of Isco, Illarra, Carvajal, keeping Morata and Jesé: Spanish players that know what the cres represents.

If I were Florentino, I would withdraw any offer already made. Wait two years. Get Bale for free then.

This is absolutely crazy.

It should not be closed at that amount. Bale is nowhere near that good.

Ronaldo has appeared in 159 games with Real Madrid, scoring 175 goals. That's exactly 1.1 goals per game over four years. That's stunning. There will never be another player like that playing for Real Madrid.

And yet they are willing to pay more for Bale. Who has a less than 0.25 goal/game ratio. Yeah, he's good. But he's not in the same league as Messi & Ronaldo.

Is he better than Rooney? Better than Neymar? Better than RVP? I don't know...

Madrid are not buying just a player, they buy a player with image, currently the face of PL, player that can sell shirts etc.. they often don´t go just for the ability.. but also image.. as they did with Beckham for example..

30 years living in Madrid. Read the links regarding the UE investigation. Las Tablas (the area subject of this investigation - not the Ciudad Deportiva deal of the late 90s) was a virtual desert in 1998. There are tens of thousands of inhabitants today there. But let them investigate, and if there is a ruling that some wrong was made, let them pay the penalty, of course.

Now with footy :)

We Real Madrid supporters are totally against this madness of paying absurd amounts for players. I believe there must be some middle-man making lots of money, but we don't like it.

We like the signings of Isco, Illarra, Carvajal, keeping Morata and Jesé: Spanish players that know what the cres represents.

If I were Florentino, I would withdraw any offer already made. Wait two years. Get Bale for free then.
I dont know if the majority of fans agree with you. Florentino Perez has won the last two elections without even being any competitors. None competed against him because they knew it would be a waste of time.
Florentino Perez has ruined Real Madrid. Apart from the occasional Liga where you just compete with Barcelona, Real Madrid has won nothing since his policy started

Madrid are not buying just a player, they buy a player with image, currently the face of PL, player that can sell shirts etc.. they often don´t go just for the ability.. but also image.. as they did with Beckham for example..
I dont see it. It clearly was the case with Beckham and Ronaldo, two charismatic players with huge marketing power. I dont see Bale in that mould.

Bale has been on Magazine covers . He has not reach that point ,but it`s a matter of time. Perez wants him and knows that imagine rights for Bale will be important. Theo wanted a new contract due to his imagine rights being the face of the club. Bale is a calf cash atm and he`ll be a big cash cow sooner.If you can`t see it now... you`ll see it sooner then later. You never seen Time Square with a footballer (David Beckham was for underwear ) in front on millions ...Bale is becoming to big for Spurs,too fast.

Last edited:
then it might be realy Perez wish to buy best PL player to his team and make PL less attractive? as i read in some comments here..

Beckham and Ronaldo had the United marketing machine behind them, Bale isn't anywhere near those two commercially.

Also 85M Bid is in officially.

I just don't really understand the challenge in joining La Liga's big 2 anymore. You're basically moving to compete in maybe 4/5 big matches a year: the two classicos, the inevitable meeting in the Copa del Ray and a Champions League knockout round.

If you look at the stats, that's pretty much it. The rest of the season you coast along trying to remain focussed, garnering near 100 points.

yes, but i wouldn´t underestimate power of Atletico, Real Sociedad, Sevilla, Valencia, Bilbao, Malaga etc..

I just don't really understand the challenge in joining La Liga's big 2 anymore.

Yeah, but playing for Real or Barca, for a lot of football players, is a sign that 'you've made it'. Cristiano had it all at United, but he wanted Real. Kaka had it all at Milan, but he wanted Real etc.

The lure of Real Madrid Club de Fútbol. The glamour team of world football bar none. As Milanista said, one day you can tell your boys "I've made it! I played for Real Madrid."

yes, but i wouldn´t underestimate power of Atletico, Real Sociedad, Sevilla, Valencia, Bilbao, Malaga etc..
Why not ? Atletico, Sevilla, Valencia and Malaga have hugh debts and are selling their best players to foreign clubs.
I completely agree with beachryan. All these years La Liga has been about Real Madrid and Barcelona but now the gap between these two clubs and the other ones is ridiculous and it is only getting more and more deepen with time.

Back
Top Bottom