Tottenham Thread

How old are you that you know that Gallas' performance is the worst this side of the world war, or did i miss something in the '90's ?

I know that those players are gone, but Spurs could have used them because IMO there is not enough squad depth and this will cost them CL football this season.

I don't agree with you on AVB and the players' motivation. You see it often after a first good tie (look at Bayern, and they are German !).

I don't like Adebayor, but he scored the qualification goal, that wasn't luck. He was where he was supposed to be when Handanovic let Dembele's shot slip through his hands...

I still am certain that Spurs are not a one man team, but the team is relying too much on Bale. Like i said, Spurs aren't winners. They are the kings of choking and this for 50 years...it's in the DNA of the club (and to be honest that is what attracts about them). Since a couple of season they are really playing very good football, but even then they rarely harvest something out of, be it after eating the wrong food, or the number 6 of the EPL winning the CL against all odds...in the end Spurs deceive...players are started to believe it and Bale is becoming a talismanic figure (positive now, after Spurs didn't win a single match after his twenty-something first team starts).

That is not good, but you can't blame AVB. IMO he is a fantastic manager...the best Spurs have had this side of the world war...

OK, so you think Gallas had a good game then? (Purposely misunderstanding like you obviously did). Exaggeration for effect is not something you've never heard about, I suppose.

I've disagreed with many of Spurs' latest sales, a few years ago Spurs had the broadest squad in the league, we had 2-3 good backups for almost every spot in the team. Pavlyuchenko on the other hand needed to go, he spent 15 hours a day playing FIFA, and deteriorated at a rapid speed.

I never blamed Bale for the team losing in his first twenty something starts, Bale generally played well in all those matches and for me it was purely coincidental. Spurs isn't really a one man team, but the way AVB makes up the team we obviously are. AVB plays boring offensive football, because he lacks the creative engine on the midfield that he has always relied on to make his football attractive. When Tottenham is leading 1-0 under AVB, we always concede towards the end which again point to the fact that he does not make the necessary changes to make sure we keep it tight.

AVB might be good if he gets the exact team he wants, but his inability to take advantage of Spurs' "no nonsene Counter attacking squad" and make them play slow, boring and predictable football is just pathetic. When luck is the deciding factor in 95% of our wins, a good manager should be able to make some necessary changes.

Oh you are such twat to discuss with.
A blind man could see that Gallas was dramatic, for the record: i was only joking about the wars...that must have been obvious by my last sentence.
AVB gambled: he rested some players, but it turned out bad. If you can't play Gallas to defend a 3-0 lead, you'll never play him. He is part of the team...Most likely we won't see him back next season.

Don't think Spurs are a one-man team, as Bale isn't good enough to be a one man team. Sorry, laughed at the suggestions he was up alongside Ronaldo and Messi, LOL, jeez, he'll be lucky to be in the top 10 of EPL never mind World football.

What a laugh I had at that.

FD

Wow didn't see today's result coming. Figured this weekend would've been the start of the Spurs putting the pressure on to start challenging for the no.2 position.

Superstition? really?

I thought better of you...

This is the trick you always use to try and wind up people.
You deliberately "misunderstand" others and then build upon that to begin endless discussions.

Where did i say that i was superstitious ? How can you conclude that i'm superstitious ?

I tell you that as a club Spurs are underachieving for 50 years and that is what most fans think of it. Just read a couple of books from Spurs fans, it's a reocurring team that Spurs play very well, bit hardly ever harvest silverware, they nearly always end up wasting it...

Just what they are currently doing...loosing to Fulham...bye bye CL.

Sabatasso and Gerd you lots aren`t off the mark with each others mindset. Both seem to engage an argument very easy w/ anything really. I think Gerd is more settle approach while,Sabatasso is more direct approach w/ a clever few words that can make anyone burst. I wouldn`t call him a wum , he just offers a view from a different angle not protocol for Evo-webbers ;)

gerd, I quoted your exact words and used them to pin you as superstitious. Phrases like "it's in their DNA" clearly has no other origin than superstition. It is a popular phrase, but it doesn't make any sense. It's just one of those things that people say because a) they are superstitious or b) they think it sounds smart (but it really isn't). By calling you superstitious, I actually gave you the benefit of doubt.

Sabatasso and Gerd you lots aren`t off the mark with each others mindset. Both seem to engage an argument very easy w/ anything really. I think Gerd is more settle approach while,Sabatasso is more direct approach w/ a clever few words that can make anyone burst. I wouldn`t call him a wum , he just offers a view from a different angle not protocol for Evo-webbers ;)

The thing is, I offer my opinion which is always a subject of change if the arguments against my view are good enough. If there aren't any, then I won't change my mind and I won't budge an inch. I am a simple man, honestly.

Last edited:
What happened to Basel ?
I saw this team twice against Racing Genk, and although both matches ended in a draw, Basel were both times second best.
Since then they hardly lost a match (if any). Yesterday they had an outstanding match against Spurs and fully deserved to win. I discovered a fantastic player: Salah.

All in all a very bad day for Spurs: both Lennon and Bale are injured, the positive point is that Gallas is also injured.

Now we'll see if Spurs are a one man team.

PS: AVB, please buy a good striker. Jan Vertonghen scored more goals than Defoe and Adebayor combined (i read this in a Belgian paper, to be honest this seems highly improbable, but Spurs really need a good goal scorer).

He plays more too , he snubbed Arsenal . He didn't want to play DM, but he could easily adopt that role. Spurs can slowly put him there and have the next Toure IMO.

Jesus... this is embarrassing. Villas Boas is incompetent... I can't remember a single good match by Spurs under him, including the wins were it's basically pure luck/happenchance, coincidence or Bale.

If it's going to penalties, Adebayor misses...

Jesus... this is embarrassing. Villas Boas is incompetent... I can't remember a single good match by Spurs under him, including the wins were it's basically pure luck/happenchance, coincidence or Bale.

If it's going to penalties, Adebayor misses...

And Dempsey is horrible

He isn't anything more than a rotation squad player, I never said he was horrible. He's slow, he lacks technique and he doesn't really fit Spurs formation.

What did I say?
Adebayor misses...

I just knew Adebayor was going to miss. Judging on how poor and careless he was, I just felt that if he were to take a penalty, he'd miss it.

adebayor lol, how is he a professional football player? today it looked like he hasn't ever kicked a football before... and his run up to the penalty?:CONF:

I just knew Adebayor was going to miss. Judging on how poor and careless he was, I just felt that if he were to take a penalty, he'd miss it.

Exactly the same here.

You know who Spurs miss ? Everybody's talking about Bale, but they miss Lennon.
Bit of a nightmare match for both Belgian players too: Moussa's ball loss led to the eqauliser and then that (well deserved) red card for Vertonghen.

Well done Basel, i thoroughly enjoyed their football.

Season is vitually over for us. Next time we play an EPL match we might well be 7 points behind Arsenal...

Let's rebuild for next season: a new striker.

You're right. Spurs need atleast one pacey player. If Bale doesn't play, they still have Lennon. Both didn't play yesterday and it really showed.

Pace isn't everything and the sooner we become a possession team the better.

Very disappointed to go out, Basel deserved it though.

No doubt many Spurs fans our happy now.

Agreed, but it seems that this Spurs team thrive off pace mostly.

We have no ball distributor as our holding midfielders are barely average at passing, and we don't have any creative central midfielders. Dembele's passing is below average, and Holtby's strength isn't exactly passing either and I doubt Holtby was intended a CM spot in the first place. At the moment, Vertonghen is our best passer...

With Modric we had both, as he was a semi deep playmaker and we could switch to pacey counters and back on the fly. He was always open for a pass, which made our less talented passers always have an easy option, and he was able to find the perfect balance between possession and killer balls. One classy passer can make a huge difference in a team...

Last edited:
Well Dembele can zip the ball around and he's very hard to shake off the ball but his confidence may be shot after that 'horror show' at Basel. I hope that's not the case as we need him to be on his game against City.

Disappointed with Holtby as I thought he had a lot more to offer.

Get the feeling Bale and Lennon are unlikely to feature on Sunday and with Aguero escaping a suspension, we don't stand a chance (although, having said that, Ade will definitely be up for this).

On the plus side (well, according to BBC Sport), Aguero and Silva seem doubtful to make the game on Sunday which would be a major boost.

Still can't see us beating City though :p

It's an interesting question for AVB. Does he risk his two most dangerous weapons in a game he might lose anyway, or save them for subsequent matches, when he might already be out of the race for 4th.

I like to think fortune favors the brave...

They've got no choice but to beach, they need 4th more than previous seasons because without it Bale will probably want to move on.

Holtby is a better passer than he has shown, I won't judge him until next season.

Dembele's problem is that he obsessed with beating his man with a side step dribble instead of playing with his head up and spotting the runs from his team mates. IMO he's better in a midfield three.

It's time Tom Carroll started, I don't care who drops to the bench.

Back
Top Bottom