Tottenham Thread

Nani was much superior that year which bothered me, Berbatov and Tevez too if I remember correctly.

So the only three players better than Bale were Man Utd players ?
Well at least Bale shows consistency over various seasons.
If a the time i would have asked who would be the best over a long period, nobody would have mentioned the "overhyped" Bale.
Where are those others now ?
In all season following that one, they were distinctly inferior to Bale...it seems that after all Bale wasn't such a bad choice.

But what has happened ? Bale is seen as the most overrated player in the world.
If Bale would play for United most big team fans would agree that he is one of the top ten players in the world (which he isn't imo).

Ps: don' take this personal younggun...

To be fair that was the year Nani had something like twice as many goals/assists as Bale. It was Nani's best year by far, and he was the far more productive player.

Don't agree about Berba/Tevez. Neither of them were every best player in the league quality.

On your consistent point, the most consistent player in the last decade in the premier league is Wayne Rooney. Who most people dismiss as overrated and not world class. That's in pretty much every way you want to measure it. Goals, assists, combined numbers, minutes, medals - you name it. Just shows the burden placed upon United players, imo. The only other player near him in productivity is Lampard, who is also often overlooked when people mention 'best players in the league'. The media have darlings, and they're very rarely the consistently best players.

Bale is in a purple patch at the moment, no doubt, but he's been anonymous for months at a time in the past few seasons.

Last edited:
I agree with you about Lampard, not about Rooney.
If your definition of consistency is that a player each your has a good period, then yes Rooney is consistent. That is not my definition.
Rooney rarely is good for an entire season...remember how he started this season...he seemed a turkey the week before Christmas...
To be fair, Ferguson uses Rooney as some sort of stop gap because of his versatility. If Rooney would play constantly as a CF or a false number 9, he would be among the top 5 players in the world. I'm not sure if Rooney cares about this. I don't think so because he is an example as a team player.

Talking about consistency: Ashley Cole. The guy is a big cunt. But for years now he is the best LB in the world. That is consistency.

Ashley Cole has been the most defensively reliable LB in the world, not the "best" overall. If he had contributed offensively once in a while, then maybe but that's only because it has been a shortage of left backs. If you take a look outside the PL, there are plenty of talented LB's that is solid defensively and contributes a lot offensively. Ansaldi is most likely the most complete LB in the world at the moment, and he's underrated because of the club/league he's currently at.

Ansaldi
Two footed
Strong in the air
Strong marking
Great crosser
Good dribbler
Good pace
Great stamina
*can also play Centre Back if needed

Rooney on his best is one of the best players in the world, but he's very inconsistent. His touch varies from magical to Sunday League quality, and sometimes it's like watching a comedy. I personally think that he would most likely be better if he didn't take as much responsibility defensively. It's fine to work hard as a first defender, but when he track too much back it means that he will often be gone from the positions he's supposed to cover offensively, and the other attackers are very easy to mark as a result. If he had worked hard in his own style as a "first defender" only, keeping himself on the upper part of the pitch for the most part, he would be able to create space and get into more scoring opportunities.

Lampard is the most admirable English player since Gary Lineker, I would be honored to shake his hand even if I don't particularly like Chelsea. He's legendary and deserve all the praise he can get.

Last edited:
Everybody always talks about Bale, but IMO Moussa is SPurs most important player. Just look at their record with or without him...If Moussa hadn't been injured, Spurs could have contested the title (in the end they would have lost it, but they would have been up there with United and in both match against United you can't say they were inferior and this without a really class striker).

I hope it helps his confidence because he's been poor lately, he holds onto the ball for too long.

On a similar note, I hope AVB gives Tom Carrol some games, the midfield two needs something else.

Last edited:
Everybody always talks about Bale, but IMO Moussa is SPurs most important player. Just look at their record with or without him...If Moussa hadn't been injured, Spurs could have contested the title (in the end they would have lost it, but they would have been up there with United and in both match against United you can't say they were inferior and this without a really class striker).

Ha Gerd you sound like me :)

I remember lately someone mentioned that Bale was all about pace... well how many of his latest goals has been about pace?

There's quite a few that involves close quarter dribbling and sheer power shots now...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE!

It has been quite a few times now that I've burst out when Bale scores, as if he's a United player... Damn, that strike was a beaut!

And a certain line springs to mind...

"What a hit, son, what a hit!"

:BYE:
It has been quite a few times now that I've burst out when Bale scores, as if he's a United player... Damn, that strike was a beaut!

And a certain line springs to mind...

"What a hit, son, what a hit!"

Don't worry..a few more months and you don't have to imagine it anymore ;)
Rvp and Bale combining would be beautiful. Anyway..good win for the spurs..will def be watching that arsenal game now.

I love the 'North London Derby', been some great games over the last 5-6 years between these two. Arsenal's Defence + Bale at the minute definitely gives off the impression Spurs should win but we'll see.

Bale looks unplayable at the moment, it might be one of those games where they just say 'if you score one, we will score more!' but our defence will have a torrid time.

Hopefully Bale gets sent off early...or Adebayor again, that was great :DD

:BYE:

Don't worry..a few more months and you don't have to imagine it anymore ;)
Rvp and Bale combining would be beautiful. Anyway..good win for the spurs..will def be watching that arsenal game now.

Spurs is a much bigger club now than what it used to be when United scavenged our squad for any talent. Bale has also signed a long term contract recently, and it looks like he's able to get to play at top level right where he is at the moment. In other words, there aren't any good reasons to change club at the moment.

He could only go to City imo. Only club that could afford him that could also use him. He really wouldn't fit into Chelsea's system.

I'd love to see him go to Bayern as a Robben replacement. Great club that is going to have a great manager and money to burn this summer.

I don't think he'll go to Man U. Can they afford him, with Rooney, Van Persie and Bale all on somewhere between £150,000 - £200,000 a week they would struggle with the wages. And unlike the board at Arsenal, Daniel Levy doesnt tend to get shafted so the fee would be pretty high, probably only City, Chelsea, PSG and maybe the two in Spain could afford him.

He would be great for Bayern...he is much better than Robben who is very talented but far too individualistic. And IMO this says more about Robben than about Bale.

Back
Top Bottom