Tottenham Thread

Thanks Popov, possibly costing your team a point, and I don't think he'll get a starting place now if Ridgewell can play. So stupid. Good ambassador for my country...

"What Bale's got that Ronaldo hasn't is incredible strength and power"

Bwahahahahahahaha.

Jeff Stelling - love him - but that is a comment troll article if ever I've seen one.

Bale is brilliant, a World Class player at this point, but could the media always not go 3 steps ahead, they were calling him World Class 2 years ago and now they think he's better than Ronaldo and Messi!

World class is a subjective term but for me he isn't world class and many are going over the top when they talk about him.

Well, Tobi will this be the year Tottenham beats Arsenal at the ladder? I have a feeling Spurs will reach CL spot . Maybe, w/o qualifying matches either.

World class is a subjective term but for me he isn't world class and many are going over the top when they talk about him.

:P I've been openly negative about Bale for a while, Im trying to show no bias.

I think he's getting to the point were its definitely not ridiculous to call him that like it was prior, he's scored 15 goals this season which for a wide player is very good and you can see his development in the other area's of his game, his crossing is still brilliant and his assists are down to the lack of a quality striker getting onto the end of them.

He's probably just short of that tag but with everyone comparing him to Ronaldo i'd be alright with World Class.

He's easily the best wide player in the prem this year, and while he's not on the same level as the very very best players in the world (Messi/Ronaldo) he's certainly not far off it.

I do wonder what he'll do though. Spurs won't win the league I don't think, nor be guaranteed to be in the CL forever. Will he leave? I'd love to think a British player would go abroad. Maybe he could join the Bayern revolution!

and while he's not on the same level as the very very best players in the world (Messi/Ronaldo) he's certainly not far off it.

See Beach, I mean I think he really is that far off! the way you worded that sounds like he's a distant 3rd which isn't the case at all, he's probably top 5 in the Premiership in terms of attacking talent this season but I'd say Rooney, Suarez, Mata are all a tier above him at the moment.

The likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Falcao, Van Persie and Ibrahimovic are another level above those before you even get to Ronaldo and Messi.

But it's about positions surely? Who is a better out and out winger than Bale? Ronaldo definitely. But that's about it.

Obviously some others are arguably better footballers, but if you made a world XI and needed a true left-sided winger, I think that you'd be pick Bale.

Well it depends, why would you exactly need to pick a true left sided winger which isn't his position anymore, he's trying to morph into a inside forward who shows up everywhere. I'd have Mata ahead of him as I mentioned and obviously Ronaldo from the left.

Talents like Hazard, Neymar, Reus could also be argued to be on his level and potentially better.

Spurs are much more than only Bale.
His talent and ability have been exagerated for a couple of years now, the result is that most people underestimate him.

IMO Ashley Cole is still the best Brittish player, (not Rooney or Bale), the only Brittish player who has been the best of the world on his position for years now...do i like Ashley Cole ? Not at all, he seems a big cunt...but he is the best Brittish football player.

Your press is terrible: either they overhype players (Hart, Bale, Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain and 200.000 others) or they crucify them (De Gea comes to my mind).

But it's about positions surely? Who is a better out and out winger than Bale? Ronaldo definitely. But that's about it.

Obviously some others are arguably better footballers, but if you made a world XI and needed a true left-sided winger, I think that you'd be pick Bale.

As a winger Bale can easily be marked out of games and his dribbling is awful. Ronaldo would easily be the better of the two but he hasn't played as a winger for a long time. Since he moved to Madrid he's continued to improve/evolve but for some reason his dribbling has got worse.

When people talk about who is the best player its only fair to compare those that play in the same position. Its only the best of the best, those that on a different level to everyone else and are proven that can be compared to regardless of their position IMO.

Bale is the best left sided wide forward in the league, he is nowhere near world class. The form he is displaying now isn't new per se, he's flirted with similar in the past two seasons but for various reasons was non existent during the second half of the season. This season everything about Spurs is different and I expect him in particular to maintain his form, this would be his first full season where he's been the talisman for the team. One good season doesn't mean your one of the best in the world. He has to show consistency whilst still improving his game and (on occasion) making those around him better although that's difficult when you have to play with forwards that don't anticipate well and don't play with their head up.

If I were to compare Bale to another player, not by attributes but in terms of how both have or are developing it would be Rolls Reus. IMO he's ahead of Bale, he was excellent last season, developed his overall game, became a talisman and now he's playing at a level where Dortmund don't miss Kagawa (and he was brilliant for them).

I'd also put Hazard and some others ahead of Bale too. When I say this to some Spurs fans they think I'm crazy and some even go as far as to question whether I'm actually a Spurs fan. Peronsally I LOVE players that are fantastic dribblers its one of the reasons why I'd place Ronaldinho ahead of Cristiano and Messi and I'm desperate for Bale to improve his dribbling. Lennon used to be a very good dribbler when Moniz was the skills coach under Jol but whilst AVB has improved him a lot this season, his dribbling hasn't been good for many years.

@ Bebo I expect us to finish above you lot and unlike many Spurs fans, I still believe that 3rd is a realistic aim too. Aiming for fourth is horrible, weak mentality that must die. Barca, Juve and Bayern don't play in the EPL, there is nothing to be afraid of in this league.

@ Bebo I expect us to finish above you lot and unlike many Spurs fans, I still believe that 3rd is a realistic aim too. Aiming for fourth is horrible, weak mentality that must die. Barca, Juve and Bayern don't play in the EPL, there is nothing to be afraid of in this league.

I get it ,but its the Wigans n Norwich sort I fear :LOL: Aiming for 4th is not horrible its realistic .

Aiming for fourth is bad because the players will feel that they just need to do enough to secure that position when in fact they can go one better and qualify outright for the Champions League.

Playing against teams fighting relegation isn't pretty, it requires a lot of fight.

OOOOOOOOfffffffff

itrAe6dyDMLOe.gif

Good lord that equalizer!!!

That might be the best half-volley I've ever seen. Period. Full stop. It. Is. Magnificent.

ibwGlB8yaTthEj.gif

Last edited:
I think Bale is a right good player, over-rated yes I do think so.

But I have to say he's carrying Spurs at the moment, especially with their striking options.

FD

Yes it's certainly at the point whereby if he keeps doing this week after week he will go from being a very good player to pushing towards that world class bracket. I think he was overrated a few years ago but he is slowley getting to the point of a fair rating now. Bear in mind, as you say, that Tottenham are a bit lightweight in terms of strikers (Defoé is pretty average and injured now anyway, Adebayor a bit inconsistant). In terms of attacking midfielders their recent signings are yet to fully gel (Dempsey, Sigurdsonn) and not quite in the same bracket at Modric was 2 seasons ago. A lot of Spurs's attacking threat seems to come from Bale (to a lesser extent Lennon and Walker) so he must deserve some credit for them to be where they are in the table.

At the moment I'd probably give him the Premier League player of the season, but of course there is still over a third of the games left.

At the moment I'd probably give him the Premier League player of the season, but of course there is still over a third of the games left.

IMO it's between Leighton Baines and Van Persie. One could also argue about both Bale and Fellaini.

If any other player than Van Persie wins, all hell will brake loose because the fans of the big clubs will say he is overrated.

The fact that Bale was chosen as player of the year two years ago was not good for him (and like you said, at the time he was overrated, but still he was then already a very good player).

Back
Top Bottom