Tottenham Thread

Also, at 1-0 a clear, I mean 'stonewall' penalty not given to United. Given Spurs' memory of Carroll and the Carrick non-pen from donkey's years ago, can we finally FINALLY put it to bed please?

To me it wasn't a certain penalty at all (but it might have been given). But i'm biased as a a Spurs fan.

Let's take a more objective opinion, the Belgian commentator: he wasn't sure at all...

But yes that might have been in Spurs' advantage. For the rest of the match te referee saw everything where there was the slightest doubt in Man Utd's advantage. You only have to look at the foul Kagawa did on Dembele, the ref was 2 meters away, yet he didn't bother. Later there was a similar Kagawa foul in the second half, ref did not bother and every single 50/50 decision favoured Man Utd.

Nevertheless, the way Man Utd counter is pure class, great first goal at a moment Spurs were taking the upper hand. Also very good match by both De Gea and Ferdinand.

IMO Spurs' point was more than deserved but United once again proved they are the strongest team. Spurs need a striker. I didn't understand AVB's subs: Huddlestone and Assou-Ekoto are not the players you bring in when you have two force something. And why on earth was Vertonghen on the bench.

Well played today Spurs - this new team is full of character and a joy to watch.

Point each was fair in the end I think.

Yeah definitely agree a draw was a fair result. But championships are often won on undeserved results ;)

True, but let's not forget that we nearly got maximum pts against all the top teams at their homes. Only Arsenal is left. I'd be surprised if City won't spill any points in their future away trips. Yes I'm disappointed but it was pretty entertaining to watch.

To me it wasn't a certain penalty at all (but it might have been given). But i'm biased as a a Spurs fan.

Let's take a more objective opinion, the Belgian commentator: he wasn't sure at all...

It was a pen. No doubt at all, check the United thread for a gif.

Not complaining with the result, just saying that as everyone in the media and Spurs fans constantly remind us of something from 5 or 8 years ago now, maybe we can add this to mythology of United always getting the decisions.

Looked a definite pen to me. The way Rooney's legs just seem to collapse under him tho probably played in the minds of the Lino and Ref

Looked a definite pen to me. The way Rooney's legs just seem to collapse under him tho probably played in the minds of the Lino and Ref

Haha, how's that for class? Apparently that's the same ref that saw Drogba 'onside' in the decisive, title-deciding call of a few seasons ago.

:) how about them apples

Don't understand a damn about that.

Good point, but today also learned me that unless AVB buys a couple of players, Spurs will not stay in a CL place. The first team is good (although we need a decent RB, Walker is making lots of errors, look at Van Persie's goal today for example)), but Spurs have no squad depth.

Either there will come injury problems or the first eleven will get tired towards the end of the season. Arsenal have bigger squad depth and will once again overtake Spurs although at the moment Spurs are much better...

dempsey could of got evra sent off but props to him for staying up and glad he got the equaliser at the end. (wtf was de gea doing though?) but also rooney penalty was blatant as fuck..

People were saying De Gea was having a great game but tbh if he had let any of the efforts in that he saved it would've been classed as a soft goal to concede.

People were saying De Gea was having a great game but tbh if he had let any of the efforts in that he saved it would've been classed as a soft goal to concede.

You've already made your opinions about De Gea clear, and to be honest you've made up your mind already much like the media. If you think these are easy then you clearly don't know much about keeping:

1358700172436.gif

ibd8WcY4YHf7DQ.gif

Those are both top drawer kick saves.

He could have punched further at the end, but it could have fallen anywhere tbh - just a bit unlucky it fell perfectly to Lennon.

He's made far fewer mistakes than all the big keepers in the prem this season bar Cech (Reina, Hart, Vorm, Krul). But anytime he does anything the least bit wrong, it's back page stories and featured on MOTD.

Seems deuce is getting hot 4 in 5

Dempsey was poor today apart from tap in at the end. I still think he is midtable quality (dont have a hissyfit just my opinion!

I am wondering, who do you support Gomito? (apart from everything USA related! :D )

Benii he had some good moments and bad, just like everyone else but at the end of the day he scored when his team needed it.. That is what makes a good quality player, and it was not a tap in ... That's just you being a troll again. I don't understand why you have to come in every thread and take digs at anything you can

Oh btw Dempsey has a habit of scoring clutch goals

I support dc united my local team

You've already made your opinions about De Gea clear, and to be honest you've made up your mind already much like the media. If you think these are easy then you clearly don't know much about keeping:

1358700172436.gif

ibd8WcY4YHf7DQ.gif

He could have punched further at the end, but it could have fallen anywhere tbh - just a bit unlucky it fell perfectly to Lennon.

He's made far fewer mistakes than all the big keepers in the prem this season bar Cech (Reina, Hart, Vorm, Krul). But anytime he does anything the least bit wrong, it's back page stories and featured on MOTD.

The trouble is he has a huge whole in his game when it comes to crosses. He might make some very good saves, but he seems so weak ct crosses. He's been in the UK for some time now but crosses are still a big problem, he improved other aspects of his game, but not this.

1358700172436.gif

ibd8WcY4YHf7DQ.gif

Neither would have been howlers but neither are great saves. One hit his legs and the other was right down the middle. I'd expect all PL keepers to stop them both

Benii he had some good moments and bad, just like everyone else but at the end of the day he scored when his team needed it.. That is what makes a good quality player, and it was not a tap in ... That's just you being a troll again. I don't understand why you have to come in every thread and take digs at anything you can

Oh btw Dempsey has a habit of scoring clutch goals

I support dc united my local team

It's not me being a troll.

I wonder if you would constantly praise Dempsey so much if he wasnt American?

I've been a GK myself and those saves were absolutely phenomenal. The best wasn't even shown in this thread.
I agree with edmundo about the crosses, but i still think De Gea has everything to become a top 5 GK in the world.

We got a deserved point but should have won the game if Defoe (and Dempsey) understood what a near post run was. It's ridiculous that they didn't recognise that United had taken away the option of Lennon's back post dink by packing the penalty area.

Bale was marked out of the game but the one time he put a perfect cross into the box, Defoe was once again flat footed. He's been playing with Bale for years but he still doesn't understand how and where he likes to cross the ball. Pathetic, it sucks that we have to rely on Defoe.

Gerd, Vertonghen was ill. Disco Benny was a useful sub but he was super rusty.

Last edited:
From the Guardian:

There are bad losers and then there is Ferguson
The talking points from Manchester United's matches could always be the same after they have not won. However it has come about, Sir Alex Ferguson has it in for one official or another, deflecting failure from his team and himself. It was the same again at White Hart Lane on Sunday – a fine sporting occasion marred by one unsporting man. As managers of less successful clubs rightly know, for all the claims that these things – arguable judgments and misfortunes – level out over a season, the bigger clubs on balance get the better rub of the official green. Ferguson's attempts to influence referees before matches have belatedly been constrained this season. His remarks afterwards continue to shame a club whose play before and during his reign have given more pleasure than most. Pity.

Manager criticizes official that costs team points in post match interview? My word what a shock.

Find me a manager that has never done it and I'll find you a liar.

I don't like it, but its as much a part of the game as many nasty parts of the sport.

No, Gerd has a point. Ferguson does it too much - he has to expect and accept that his teams will drop points. And he set Man Utd up defenisvely yesterday so he shouldnt complain. He didnt exactly go for Spurs.

He is a born winner though, he doesn't accept loss or draws - this is why Man Utd win so many trophies.

Wenger is another terrible loser.

My point is that after the first Wigan game last season Martinez went on a huge rant over an early penalty decision (the game ended 4-0). It was the only thing he talked about post match.

But no one at The Guardian or anywhere will write a 'talking point' about how loveable Martinez needs to be a better loser.

SAF/United get different attention. That's all that I dislike. Similar to this time next year, when everyone will still remember Carrick's non penalty from back in the day, but no one will remember Rooney's.

Wow, how's that for a stat (unexpected for me): at this stage last season Spurs had 8 more points than this year.

Another showing of how relatively weak the league is imo.

My point is that after the first Wigan game last season Martinez went on a huge rant over an early penalty decision (the game ended 4-0). It was the only thing he talked about post match.

But no one at The Guardian or anywhere will write a 'talking point' about how loveable Martinez needs to be a better loser.

SAF/United get different attention. That's all that I dislike. Similar to this time next year, when everyone will still remember Carrick's non penalty from back in the day, but no one will remember Rooney's.

No other manager does it as much as he and the way he does it. His post match rants are not emotional outbursts like (for example) Martinez. He does it to influence the officials next time they have to officiate a Man Utd match. IMO this unfair.

I also remember how he behaved when Ronaldo played for United. Ronaldo dived and Ferguson reacted on the side line. It looked like a carefully prepared choreography...I'm well aware that i'm very subjective on this (this was the very reason i stopped supporting Man Utd)...

But yesterday Ferguson made a tactical mistake and almost came away with because De Gea was brillaint and Spurs' finishing was rather poor. He brought Jones in as a midfielder in order to help Fabio sustain Gareth Bale. He succeded, Bale had relatively no influence, but all this opened up space on the other side of the pitch where Lennon ran riot with Evra. Yesterday the tactical winner clearly was AVB.

I'm pretty sure that internally Ferguson and his staff made an entirely different analysis than the one he ventilated in the press...

Wow, how's that for a stat (unexpected for me): at this stage last season Spurs had 8 more points than this year.

I'm also surprised but maybe that is also due to the teams Spurs has played...you can only compare at the end of the season (or halfway if there were no postponed matches).

It could also be seen that the league is stronger: teams like WBA, Swansea, Everton, Norwich are all stronger than last year and win points against the big teams. I see that as a strength for the league, not necessary a weakness (compared to Spain where Barcelona and Real never loose - and this is a bad moment to write this since Real Sociedad have beaten Barcelona and Real Madrid have a bad season).

Last edited:

On the flip side its +5 when you compare the fixtures directly.

Back
Top Bottom