Tottenham Thread

Its not about Levy being a tough guy, many fans don't like his negotiating style and wish he'd do business (transfers) quicker for ins and outs (myself included). Its about doing what's best for the club and in this case, receiving a transfer fee that is an accurate reflection of the player. Yes there have been some ludicrous transfer fees in the last twelve, eighteen months but that's the going rate whether people like it or not.

They (Real) want our best player, why should they be able to get him on the cheap, yes £27m for a player with his attributes in today's market is cheap. Some may say that Real don't need him but if they think about it and look at their midfield, they'll see where he does fit in.

What was wrong with the way this scenario was handled last summer? They (Luka, Roman, Chelski, the media) all piled on the pressure and expected Levy to bend over and sell to a domestic rival, he shocked them and didn't cave, he even offered them Bentley and Jenas instead (no joke). Their arrogance almost (?) cost them and they had to panic buy and get Meireles on deadline day.

There is demand for the player but Levy (rightly) won't sell to a domestic rival. Real have done similar (but not as extreme) to what Chelski did last summer so yes by default its a one team market but last summer comes into play and Real should have taken that into account. You want the player fine but your usual underhanded tactics didn't work for Chelski last summer and they certainly won't work for you twelve months later. Plus this time Luka doesn't have Harry playing the understanding father figure.

This alleged gentleman's agreement is ultimately the Levy's word vs Luka's, people can interpret it anyway they want but for me if its not on paper (which it isn't), it doesn't exist.

Its not about Levy being a tough guy, many fans don't like his negotiating style and wish he'd do business (transfers) quicker for ins and outs (myself included). Its about doing what's best for the club and in this case, receiving a transfer fee that is an accurate reflection of the player. Yes there have been some ludicrous transfer fees in the last twelve, eighteen months but that's the going rate whether people like it or not.

They (Real) want our best player, why should they be able to get him on the cheap, yes £27m for a player with his attributes in today's market is cheap. Some may say that Real don't need him but if they think about it and look at their midfield, they'll see where he does fit in.

What was wrong with the way this scenario was handled last summer? They (Luka, Roman, Chelski, the media) all piled on the pressure and expected Levy to bend over and sell to a domestic rival, he shocked them and didn't cave, he even offered them Bentley and Jenas instead (no joke). Their arrogance almost (?) cost them and they had to panic buy and get Meireles on deadline day.

There is demand for the player but Levy (rightly) won't sell to a domestic rival. Real have done similar (but not as extreme) to what Chelski did last summer so yes by default its a one team market but last summer comes into play and Real should have taken that into account. You want the player fine but your usual underhanded tactics didn't work for Chelski last summer and they certainly won't work for you twelve months later. Plus this time Luka doesn't have Harry playing the understanding father figure.

This alleged gentleman's agreement is ultimately the Levy's word vs Luka's, people can interpret it anyway they want but for me if its not on paper (which it isn't), it doesn't exist.

Well yes, by definition a gentleman's agreement isn't on paper - or else it would be a contract.

Anyway, I just don't see a happy ending. I mean, maybe Mourinho will decide he desperately needs another midfielder and is willing to spend a huge fee, and then Spurs come out on top, and Levy is justified. But from a negotiating standpoint, that would be stupid on Madrid's part.

What is your happy ending? It's clear to me that Luka does not want to be at Spurs anymore, and at 27 this really is the time for him to move to a 'top' tier of team like Madrid. You're basically saying that if Madrid don't offer more money, you'd like Luka to just shut up and play for ANOTHER year? It's one thing to ask a pro to do that for one season, but it's starting to take the piss imo.

Bale being valued at £70million by Levy according to that article Edmundo posted! What the actual fuck, I don't rate him that highly as a player, I don't think he even features in my top 10 premier league wingers let alone players, ridiculous price for him.

:BLINK:

:THINK:

:LOL:

Spurs or RM cmon! Sahin can`t even get a look at and Mou wants Mod. That is a massive insensitive plus being at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

If Madrid had truly offered £30M + Sahin as it has been reported, you just take it and run. Imo, Modric worth £40M but, as Ryan said, there are no bidders at all besides Madrid and, my personal hunch, Man Utd. With that amount of money you could after Leandro and a winger (Willian?).

Anyway, I think he will leave this time.

TSO - I'm just putting the finishing touches on Kensi's FA contract.

No way you get her. I'm pulling a Knicks, you know, "match any offer on Lin up to $1 billion"... OH WAIT!

Haha, seriously. Bale is definitely in the top 3. Possible 2nd. I wouldn't put him above Nani just because the Portuguese player has better stats pretty much every year and is more consistent.

I wouldn't class Nani as consistent, one game he's genius and the next he's anonymous, I think I prefer Valencia tbh but for me Bale is the best winger. In a team with better strikers his stats would be insane.

reminds me of Gary Cahil :LOL: Arsenal derisory offered of £9m with £6m cash initially.Then, sold to Chelsea a few months later in winter (transfer)window for £7m. Bolton got derisory relegated :P

If Mod don`t go to RM, then where Mutd? £29m? January 30th :SMUG:

*I kid!

Last edited:
A happy ending for me is £30m + Sahin (permanent or loan with option to buy).

I read this morning that Man City had a £20m bid rejected for Agger, apparently Liverpool want £27m. Put up or shut up Real Madrid.

If he has to stay then so be it, he can blame Real for not being realistic in their valuation of him.

Levy is doing Luka a favour. He will not playing much with RM.
And yes if you what Liverpool payed for Caroll and what City is prepared to pay for Agger (a good CB, but not a world class player like Modric) why wouldn't Spurs ask more for Modric.

Besides that Beach, i don't get you. Now that there is a team who holds on to his player, you sympathise with the big fish. If it would have been Chelsea, PSG or man City, you would have sympathized with Spurs. I don't see the difference. Real Madrid stayed rich in a fraudulent way, what they did is much worse than the sugar daddies.

Spanish football is on the verge of bankrupcy, yet the clubs continue to steal players from other clubs. Financial fair-play? My ass...

Beach doesn`t care for RM , he is concern for Mod as a player who`s been promised. I wanted fabregas to stay for my own selfish reason I knew his heart wanted to go.

I know most spurs fans want Mod to stay or rot! it`s the nature of the fans . So, when tobi and co. talks about Mod we all know and understand. Levy is legend for making a player stay. At Arsenal we don`t have a Levy we have Wenger the difference is a person who is connect and a person sitting in the office!

Bebo, you are a funny guy. You consider tobi as a Spurs fan, but so am i. It seems you don't consider me as a "real" Spurs fan (not that this is important, mind you).

The worst case scenario is the Berbatov scenario, that Modric leaves and that there is no time to buy other players with the money Spurs get for him (Berbatov revisited).

Of coarse I consider you one mate . I tread water around you and TSO ,because I don`t want to come across as harsh(rivalry-banter) hence tobi and co. . c0.(company - all other spur fans included w/o stating every name)

your honesty is golden !

Last edited:
I completely understand Luka's revolt as I believe him having a gentleman's agreement with Levy. The same agreement he had with Dinamo when they signed a long term contract. Club doesn't make him any problems if he wants to leave but also benefits from transfer money.
Apparently money doesn't make you a gentleman

@ Gerd - I seriously dislike Real Madrid's transfer dealings - I'm a United fan! But, I just don't get the point of screwing around with Modric - who has been a dedicated Spurs player for years now. He doesn't deserve that.

I've said the same thing with United players in the past. And this season we should let Berbatov go for something like £5m which is a joke for a player of his quality, because he deserves to play. Similar to Van Nistlerooy who we let go (sob) for only £12m.

You have to treat players that have put in their time with respect, just like any other profession.

Disco Benny is definitely the coolest footballer in the world. Imagine on your twitter saying:

Benoit Assou-Ekotto ‏@AssouEkotto
With a nap,the day is not enought long...i make a dream!As we signe a BIG STRIKER. Very good! who score many goal!!!but it was. A dream LOL

love modric, best midfielder in premier league on his day...

madrid have far too many good players, not even funny...

I find La Liga boring because of this though

23M is a great deal on Madrid's part, in hindsight it looks like Spurs should have cashed in last Summer considering a 40M bid was on the table at that time.

It's not £23m, all the media are quoting different prices because they don't know what it is.

Compare that to RVP where everyone is agreed and neither club has officially confirmed the fee.

To me Levy is happy for people to speculate and it should 'help' us with other deals.

Luka acted like a spoilt brat during this whole process, no class whatsoever but he's gone abroad and that's the most important thing. Arsenal could learn a lesson from that.

Last edited:
It's not £23m, all the media are quoting different prices because they don't know what it is.

Compare that to RVP where everyone is agreed and neither club has officially confirmed the fee.

To me Levy is happy for people to speculate and it should 'help' us with other deals.

Luka acted like a spoilt brat during this whole process, no class whatsoever but he's gone abroad and that's the most important thing. Arsenal could learn a lesson from that.

What could Arsenal learn from it? That a completely different player who wanted to go to real Madrid went to real Madrid because they wanted him and could pay the money for him?

There were no other foreign teams in for Van persie than Juventus, who dropped out a couple of weeks ago. Also we sold to Man city players that they were only willing to pay ridiculous sums of money for.

Anyway.....

I didn't word that properly, what I should have said was that they shouldn't have allowed a situation to occur where a key player has one year left on his contract.

If he didn't have the one year, they could have dug their heels in and said no.

I didn't word that properly, what I should have said was that they shouldn't have allowed a situation to occur where a key player has one year left on his contract.

If he didn't have the one year, they could have dug their heels in and said no.

So when a player has a couple of years left on their contract we should hold a gun to their heads and make them sign for 5 years?

It makes me laugh when people say Arsenal shouldn't have let it come to this point?

Apart from forcing the player to sign a new contract, what are they supposed to do?

Or if a key player has 2 years left on their contract and they are not signing a new one, we should just sell them straight away?

Both ways are nonsense in my opinion.

I think Mod n Rvp are different . Rvp has been at the club too long to know you don`t move to rivals. He once said " I love it ,when Spurs lose" Why is that? ,because he`s been here for a long while to know the NLD!!!! (North London Derby )

Mod has not been at the club for that long. He gave the club it`s all and knew the best option would be abroad. Chelsea offered more last season and it`s good business when you lean towards morale then cash! Mod was still the 3rd best mid-fielder in the league even when he felt hard done by and wasn`t happy. Which in reality he will move on and Spurs won`t see him again unless RM sells him back.

We on the other hand might see Rvp banging in goals ! I hope they win nothing though. In a perfect world ,Rvp`s family might hate life in Manchester . The fact is even if rvp does nothing like last season and scores 14 goals. He chose to leave to mutd!!! Spur fans can at least appreciate he went to a massive club abroad and playing with dream players Ronaldo,ozil,Di Maria,Benzema,Alonso etc.

so what your saying Manchester United isn't a massive club and RVP now isn't playing with 'massive' players.

Come on Bebo, the reality is he hasn't gone to a Sugardaddy club or any of that nonsense. Manchester United and Arsenal aren't rivals in the same vein Arsenal/Spurs possibly Chelsea or even Man Utd/Liverpool and City are.

It was a rivalry driven by being so competitive with each other and by the early to mid 2000's yes it definitely at that point would have been a bid deal but as of today their is no rivalry between United and Arsenal than there would be with Manchester United and Newcastle.

Well the players around RM are much better than mutd . Mutd are big but in terms of players not really . I think barça n RM have a great squad. I would think city has the best playets in the pl. You say we're no rivals, I say we are unless Arsenal is in Championship division.

Nah, sorry to disappoint you but I Madrid is better than Utd. I would give them edge in every single sector (gk, defense, mid, attack). Tbh, there's a significant gap between Barça/Madrid and the others. They are ridiculous good.

Back on topic, where's the f*cking striker??

Last edited:
Nah, sorry to disappoint you but I Madrid is better than Utd. I would give them edge in every single sector (gk, defense, mid, attack). Tbh, there's a significant gap between Barça/Madrid and the others. They are ridiculous good.

Back on topic, where's the f*cking striker??

Yeah, the duopoly in Spain really has pulled away from the rest of world football - mostly because of the TV rights and the fact it's a duopoly. I mean, those teams literally drop like 10 points a season!

For me it becomes incredibly uninteresting, but what do I know.

We'll see, interestingly enough Ive predicted City to win the Champions League and I do think City could beat Real (and personally I don't think thers much between us and City!)

Back
Top Bottom