Tottenham Thread

Someone on another forum said he reminds him of Milito.

Not really a fan of Osvaldo. But he has improved a lot since his Viola days which is where I saw him a few times and is performing much better at Espanyol, especially the 1st half of the season.

Oh and for me he's more like a Crespo than Milito but I can't really judge the guy anyway. Only seen him a couple times. Too early.

Someone on another forum said he reminds him of Milito.

More Crespo like. People say he is 25 but some players do take time to develop.

He is the sort of player Argentina are missing as a nine. Unfortuntely Batista hasn't got a scooby.

Espanyol striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo has emerged as a summer target for leading English clubs.

Sir Alex Ferguson's brother Martin, Manchester United's chief European scout, was joined by Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, Everton's David Moyes and Fulham's Mark Hughes at Monday night's 2-1 win against Athletic Bilbao and saw Osvaldo, Argentina-born with joint Italian nationality, score one goal and make another. Pete Jenson casts an eye over a man in demand.

So, will he be playing in England next season?

He fancies a move despite having a genuine affection for Espanyol. The club bought him for £4.5million and have an £18m buy-out clause on him.

They are a selling club but having shifted defender Victor Ruiz for £5.4m to Napoli in January and with the possibility of selling winger Jose Callejon they might not be in a 'must sell' position - although they would definitely do business for around £12m.

Is he worth that much?

It would be a slight gamble. He wasn't getting a game at Bologna when Espanyol coach Mauricio Pochettino took him on loan in January 2010.

But he became an instant hit with supporters and a real leader in the dressing room, filling the boots of outgoing club goalscoring legend Raul Tamudo.

So he can handle the pressure?

He's got plenty of attitude on the pitch but he also needs an arm round the shoulder. 'I play better when I'm happy,' he has said. 'In Italy I was not happy.

'There, unless you score 15 goals in three games you get dropped. Here I don't feel the pressure and I have fun. I need to feel important at a club.'

What kind of striker is he?

Espanyol play a 4-2-3-1 formation and he operates as a lone front man. He's quick, strong and very skilful.

He likes to face the goal, is very direct and knows how to finish with both feet and with his head.

And the supporters love him?

The top-selling shirt at Espanyol is the No 21 worn by the club's late captain Dani Jarque, who died in 2009 at the age of just 26. Osvaldo's No 17 shirt is close behind.

They love the tireless running, they love the goals (11 in 18 starts this season) and they especially love his machine-gun celebration when he scores.

So he'd light up the Premier League?

He's a Europa League player more than a Champions League player at the moment but he's only 25 so could really push on at the right club.

He has an Italian passport so there are no work permit issues and Argentina's wealth of great strikers means he won't be called away for too many internationals - he has not been selected for the Copa America next month.

Do mention his fashion sense.

If you must. White loafers, white cargo shorts, matching white pork-pie hat.

Don't mention the Hand of God!

He was born in the year that Diego Maradona knocked England out of the World Cup, and he's not averse to reminding people about it either.

He said before a recent game against Espanyol's cross-town rivals: 'I love to score beautiful goals but if I tap one in from the goal-line against Barca I'll shout to exploding point as if it's the Maradona goal when he dribbled around the English in 1986.'

It's not as if he'd be averse to a call up. Oh well. If you could get Aguero that would be something. I hate the idea of seeing Kun at Chelsea or Manchester City....

No chance with Kun, are wage limit will increase this summer but not to that level.

I agree with you though, it just doesn't feel right.

You guys know much Kun is getting paid in Atletico in his newly signed contract?!? Unbelievable!!! I doubt any club except City, United or Chelsea can afford him wage-wise alone let alone transfer money, etc. And even United are already paying HUGE money for Rooney after his contract extension and will soon likely have to up the wage for guys like Smalling and Chicharito as well, so not even sure if they can afford him.

City could get him as a Tevez replacement or if Inter don't get Tevez they could go for Aguero instead.

It's a shame that some clubs can skew the market so.

And I particularly dislike clubs buying sucess albeit in the case of the Abu Dhabi franchise this may take some time.

You are right though it's a dreadful possibility but may well happen.

Atletico might look then to try and poach Lamela. Perhaps Tottenham will take a punt on Wickham though again there is pretty stiff competition for his signature and he has signed a new contract with Ipswich.

Being the son of a soldier there is some degree of loyalty in the lad.

Perhaps someone like Butcher or Caulker who had an excellent Championship season unlike Townsend who I was unfortunate enough to witness live at Watofrd can also push for a starting spot.

Gomes was like a tampon today stop most of the flow but couldn`t keep a clean sheet. Some say Spurs ended Arsenal`s season, can we say Arsenal ended the Spurs season too!

I can't stand with Gomes, he is too inconsistent for my taste.

The Spurs are like the Atlanta Hawks - 4th, 5th place, good teams but unable to take it to the next level and win titles.

WTF was doing D Rose at the LB position most of the time? I just didn't get it, sometimes Arry messes big. I've never expected to say this but I'm getting tired of him. Maybe with a experienced top coach, let's say Rafa Benitez, the Spurs would have what they need to bring World Class players, like Falcao and Hulk as the Portuguese Media are reporting.

I can't stand with Gomes, he is too inconsistent for my taste.

The Spurs are like the Atlanta Hawks - 4th, 5th place, good teams but unable to take it to the next level and win titles.

WTF was doing D Rose at the LB position most of the time? I just didn't get it, sometimes Arry messes big. I've never expected to say this but I'm getting tired of him. Maybe with a experienced top coach, let's say Rafa Benitez, the Spurs would have what they need to bring World Class players, like Falcao and Hulk as the Portuguese Media are reporting.

Well, I didn`t know the Hawks really existed since Dominique Wilkins (Jordan`s shadow ). Until they batter the Magics :COAT: Spurs won 1 out of 12 is just realistic horrid by their standards

That is a brilliant way of describing Gomes...one of the most funny things i read on this forum for a very long time...well done Beboq.

It's ridiculous. I remember being very impressed with him at PSV, where he didn't show anywhere near the same capacity to self-destruct and was a very entertaining goalkeeper.

I suppose it's the "Barthez effect". A very good foreign goalkeeper coming to England and not being able to catch a cold, albeit Barthez was very impressive in his first season.

It doesn't help when your unable to organise your defence and players like Dawson keep making the same mistakes every week. It also doesn't help when the players in front don't understand the importance of pressing the ball in key areas of the pitch. Last season the pressing game was an important factor, this season its non-existent.

Harry was on MOTD2 last night, apparently its been a great season. A season where we have scored less goals, conceded more goals, have less points and taken a whopping 8 points off the bottom teams. Great season indeed.

Harry is made of Teflon, he can get away with everything...even with the fact that Spurs underperformed in 2011.

Well it is rubber stamped he leaves Tottenham next summer is it not ?

He'll certainly get a rougher ride after that. My uncle who is a Lilywhite is not best pleased.

People are saying that Daniel Levy had that look on his face at the weekend, I missed it though and can't find a picture anywhere.

If Harry showed that he was willing to change and address certain issues then I wouldn't be against him been giving another season but the man is too stubborn.

Gomes did have consistency problems in PSV, Abou. He's always been the same really. Very good reflexes, jaw-dropping saves and the ability to fumble a simple shot or make stupid mistakes on a regular basis.

I remember him making many mistakes for PSV similarly. Fortunately for him, half the time it didn't cost him then, but he would still make amazing saves and then drop a simple cross or fumble a weak shot etc.

I pray that someone on our coaching staff is watching Liverpool suffocate Fulham right now.

Yeah I saw him, he looked confused.

Gomes did have consistency problems in PSV, Abou. He's always been the same really. Very good reflexes, jaw-dropping saves and the ability to fumble a simple shot or make stupid mistakes on a regular basis.

I remember him making many mistakes for PSV similarly. Fortunately for him, half the time it didn't cost him then, but he would still make amazing saves and then drop a simple cross or fumble a weak shot etc.
Yeah, that is true. I remember him fumbling a Juninho free-kick quite hilariously in the CL.

But I don't remember him making mistakes on such a consistent basis as he has at Spurs.

Nah he was always mistake prone like that bro, it's just with Spurs he gets a lot more visibility and exposure as most see them in Europe like Champions league this year for example (like PSV) but also weekly in league/cup competitions which wasn't the case during his PSV days so mistakes are also seen less.

Just ask any Dutch people here.

Still a good goalkeeper though it must be said though he would drive me crazy and I'd want someone else and his reflex saves are unbelievable!! The guy makes IMPOSSIBLE saves :SHOCK: like a superman in the net or something lol :WORSHIP: and concedes the stupidest ones! :LOL: His team-mates and Harry must both love and hate him! :LOL:

We'll get it if we finish 5th, today's result doesn't matter.

I think there is previous interest.

Today's quotes suggest he's not driven by money but it would take a miracle for him to join us.

Modric has signed a new 6 yrs deal last season Good Lord! I love how he says it`s disrespectful to hand in a transfer :WORSHIP:

Back
Top Bottom