Tottenham Thread

Good result for your boys tonight, Frings got a red for Bremen tonight, so if you can beat them at the Lane you'll be into the knockouts - and you've a good chance of topping the group given your head to head is better than Inters (by one goal).

I have to say I think Pavyluchenko is a better player and more of a threat than Crouch - was suprised he didn't start. Good to see Modric playing well again, especially given he had a nasty leg injury a while ago. Even though I'm not a Spurs fan I've always admired players like him who have had very difficult upbringings and tragic events in life, but have still made the most of their talents.

Come crunch time, Crouch will always get the nod over Pav, that's just the way Arry is.

To me Pavyluchenko just seems like a little bit more of a natural predator, he seems to have a very accurate shot on him compared to Crouch, also he looks like a defender's nightmare in terms of marking. He'll drop deep and draw the center backs to the middle of the pitch and then the next moment he's off down the wing or making a late run to the box. It's a shame Robbie Keane is out of form (and also your system doesnt really allow an extra striker if Van Der Vaart is playing) as the Russian could have linked up really well with Keane from a few years ago.

Also how come Palacios has lost his place ? He seemed like a superb player to me from watching him over the last few seasons, a superb engine on him and a great reader of the game - does Redknapp prefer midfield players offering a bit more upfront?

Wilson lost his place when he got suspended towards the back end of last season, Luka and The Hudd were paired in midfield and since then he can't get back in and probably won't unless someone is unavailable. Before he got suspended he was out of form and his brother's death also naturally affected him. Right now Jenas is ahead of him and Sandro is knocking on the door.

Pav has the best attributes and deserves a long run in the team but it won't happen, the team flows better when Pav plays but it won't happen Arry loves Crouch (and JD).

Damn, i missed this...in Belgium we got Kobenbavn - Barcelona on television (which was a good game too).

After the match in Milan, it was obvious that Spurs could win at home...that was a defeat that brought hope...

He did a good job, identified some good players/potential but he did also buy Darren Bent for £17million when Martin Jol asked for a left winger.

What is his role going to be at Liverpool? As long as he and Hodgson (and the new guy) our on the same page there shouldn't be any issues.

Either director of football or chief scout it seems, either way he's going to be involved in transfers. I believe he got Bale for Spurs so hope he can sort someone like that out for us :)

Tobi, i stil think Darren Bent could have turned out to be a great player for Spurs, IMO he never got a decent chance to prove himself. I prefer him to Crouch and Defoe.

I wasn't having a go at Bent, more the point that Commoli bought a striker when the manager wanted something completely different.

The problem I have with Bent is that he doesn't get involved in the play enough and he would never have fit into our previous system. However, now that VDV is here we only play with one striker and he could definitely fit into this system.

Yeah Bent was/is a very good striker. He showed that with Charlton and has been doing it non-stop since joining Sunderland too. And even at Spurs, he rarely got consecutive full-matches and when he did play, he didn't do bad. It's hard to find consistency when you're consistently (pun intended :P ) being rotated, yet his record ain't bad and he scored some good goals.

I definitely see what you mean in your last post tho Tobi and agree. In fact if Tottenham are to play with one striker, he'd been the perfect man to lead line. But anyway Sunderland are reaping the rewards now and Tottenham have their fair share of capable attacking threat so not exactly missing him.

As for Comolli, he's also the guy behind transfers of many French-based players like Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto who used to play for Auxerre and Lens respectively. Probably Adel Taraabt as well though he's a QPR player now, isn't he? Or is he on lona? That kid has the talent/potential but whether he'll ever fulfill it... is another thing.

Adel was a permanent transfer, loads of potential as you say, brilliant technique but also incredibly frustrating.

I hope to see him playing in a top division some day but he has to work on some things.

I quite like him, he seems down to earth and different to most other players. I read an interview where he says he doesn't like other footballers and only has one in his phonebook, and 3 he could call friends. I think he's improved over the past year or so, looked a lot more solid although he's still not great. Cool hair too.

He has his moments but he is better than most LB's in this league, he doesn't get enough credit.

He's improved quite a bit over the last 18 months, yeah.

He's a good player. Just nothing special. And still can get better.

That's one get out of jail free card used by Harry this season, he played right into their hands. Brilliant comeback but no doubt the press will kiss his ass again and ignore the fact that his starting line up and tactics (or lack there of) was a complete joke.

Gallas (and Younes the Bull) was immense and was clearly the MOM.

I went to see the match and to me Cesc Fabregas was man of the match (even if he was in the loosing team).
Although i'm over the moon that Spurs won and although Spurs were playing an excellent match, i still consider this more of a loss for Arsenal than a win for Spurs. I thought Spurs where a litle bit lucky. I wouldn't call it an undserved win however...

Ps: to met this was a once-off...but what great atmosphere...if i compare this to Belgian football...it's another planet.

Harsh draw for the Spurs. I was rooting you to be tied against Kobenhavn however I still think you have a chance against Milan. Just repeat the recipe of Inter matches (except that heartbreaking game in San Siro!)

I'm happy with the draw, confident we'll go through.

Back
Top Bottom