The TV Thread

When watching SDTV from Sky, Freeview etc, use no sharpness or very little. If it's HD or DVD, leave it as normal I say.

The new Pioneer LCD available to buy certainly not cheap though guess comes as no surprise although i was expecting them to be abit more competitive with price.

£1,400 for 32" and 37" £1,600 ouch! and 46" coming later this year.

http://www.tlcbroadcast.co.uk/32inch-full-kuro-p-339.html
http://www.tlcbroadcast.co.uk/37inch-full-kuro-p-340.html

All i can say is they better be amazing for that price seems ISF calibrator checking them out now on avforums so will hear more soon.
Like to see how they stack up to their Plasmas, If their price is anything to go by the 46" will be over 2k... ;))

My TV is going back

It really didnt impress me that much at all. Xbox 360 was very good but SD wasn't at all so i aint keeping it.

My PJ looks better for SD although it does look a little washed out but that is probably the bulb (and the fact that the contrast is only 5500/1 compared to the LCDs 33000/1 :LOL:) and same for the 360. All the PJ is lacking is the contrast/brightness that CRTs and the LCD had, so i may just buy a upgraded model of my PJ that has a better contrast ratio

So yeah disappointed but that's £1300 back into the back burner

My TV is going back

It really didnt impress me that much at all. Xbox 360 was very good but SD wasn't at all so i aint keeping it.

My PJ looks better for SD although it does look a little washed out but that is probably the bulb (and the fact that the contrast is only 5500/1 compared to the LCDs 33000/1 :LOL:) and same for the 360. All the PJ is lacking is the contrast/brightness that CRTs and the LCD had, so i may just buy a upgraded model of my PJ that has a better contrast ratio

So yeah disappointed but that's £1300 back into the back burner

Did you try some settings on Avforums ? (As generally TV are crap out of box and need to tweak them) biggest problem with LCD is SD although its improving im not sure what you was expecting. But im guessing your projector 720p in that case it dosnt have to scale the pic as much as 1080p screen would have to which in turn causes more problems to pic.

I think i remember you saying you had Sky HD so definitely using box but i understand where you come from with complaint about SD it was LCD suffer from and especially when your at higer res as more scaling it needs to do. Heard new Kuro LCD have brilliant SD but no 1080p over VGA and Component plus the price would put me off.

Suppose to be few LCD coming that claim to have good SD Toshiba putting Cell processor in there TV they claim it drastically improves SD but we shall see. Im not so sure SD will be able to compare with a Plasma at all with LCD really its shame but its unfortunately how it is.

Edit: Saying this i have old Samsung M87 LCD and i can live with SD after alot of tweaking get used to it but HD on it brill so it all depends on if you can live with average SD but fantastic HD.

And also is this your first 1080p screen disappointed that you wasnt happy seems alot of happy users on Avforums.

Last edited:
Did you try some settings on Avforums ? (As generally TV are crap out of box and need to tweak them) biggest problem with LCD is SD although its improving im not sure what you was expecting. But im guessing your projector 720p in that case it dosnt have to scale the pic as much as 1080p screen would have to which in turn causes more problems to pic.

I think i remember you saying you had Sky HD so definitely using box but i understand where you come from with complaint about SD it was LCD suffer from and especially when your at higer res as more scaling it needs to do. Heard new Kuro LCD have brilliant SD but no 1080p over VGA and Component plus the price would put me off.

Suppose to be few LCD coming that claim to have good SD Toshiba putting Cell processor in there TV they claim it drastically improves SD but we shall see. Im not so sure SD will be able to compare with a Plasma at all with LCD really its shame but its unfortunately how it is.

Edit: Saying this i have old Samsung M87 LCD and i can live with SD after alot of tweaking get used to it but HD on it brill so it all depends on if you can live with average SD but fantastic HD.

And also is this your first 1080p screen disappointed that you wasnt happy seems alot of happy users on Avforums.

Yeah i tweaked it quite a bit and it did look better than when i first switched it on but it still wasn't as good as i thought it should be.

I only have Sky SD and i never thought about the upscaling to 1080p, the PJ is 1080i but i dont think its anywhere near 720p or 1080i (edit: looking at the manual im getting 720x576i which is Skys resolution anyway) because im using a S-Video cable to connect it.

It is my first 1080p TV as well yeah and my first LCD, i dont think ill buy another LCD if like you say they struggle with SD as this is what i watch the most. The only HD thing i have is a 360 so HD aint a biggy for me at present and i only got a 1080p TV to be future proof :))

Sky HD box will make it better SD but not by large margin but it was improvement to when i had Sky+ box.

Ye thats why SD looking good is because of that resolution projector running at unfortunately the downside to LCD and more higher res go more artifacts will be introduced on SD.

Edit: Also how far do you sit from screen ?

This was from HD TV test review

Standard-def content looked rather good on the Sony. On top of excellent blacks and colours, the LCD HDTV did a better than average job of upconverting 576i video signal to fit onto its 1920 x 1080 high definition screen. Sufficient detail and sharpness were preserved without introducing excessive halos (which would have suggested overzealous/ undefeatable edge-enhancement). We could tolerate sitting as near as 6 feet away from the television, as long as the quality of the source was not too poor and the aspect ratios were matched (i.e. [4:3] for 4:3 material, and [Wide] for 16:9).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W4000/Picture-Quality/

Also there settings used

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W4000/Settings/

Last edited:
Thats a W4000 i have the V4000 which had things missing like 10 bit panel when mine had 6 and some more stuff

i sit about 8/9 feet from the screen

Thats a W4000 i have the V4000 which had things missing like 10 bit panel when mine had 6 and some more stuff

i sit about 8/9 feet from the screen

Oh i thought you bought a W4000 as thats what i recommended.

I seen your post on Avforums though about price V4000 is inferior to W4000 WCG-CCFL backlight,10bit panel, main things missing.

Its better TV overall but understand if your on budget not sure what size after but i seen 40" with 1 year warranty £869 and with 5 year warranty at JL its £999.

http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/sony-kdl40w3000-inch-p-2484.html

http://www.johnlewis.com/230508091/Product.aspx

Last edited:
Hey Bingham, you've got an M87?

Did you get settings from AVForums for it? I could do with some, SD isn't brilliant atm on it.

Using Sky HD on it right ?

Set contrast to low in settings and 1080i on Sky HD then use these picture settings.

Mode: Movie
Contrast: 88
Brightness: 58
Sharpness: 40
Colour: 55
Tint: 50
Colour tone: Normal
Backlight: 2

Detailed settings

Black adjust: off
Dynamic contrast: Low
Gamma: -1

White Balance : 17,15,11,5,13,30
My colour control: all 15
Edge enhancement: off
Colour space: Auto
xvycc: off

Oh i thought you bought a W4000 as thats what i recommended.

I seen your post on Avforums though about price V4000 is inferior to W4000 WCG-CCFL backlight,10bit panel, main things missing.

Its better TV overall but understand if your on budget not sure what size after but i seen 40" with 1 year warranty £869 and with 5 year warranty at JL its £999.

http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/sony-kdl40w3000-inch-p-2484.html

http://www.johnlewis.com/230508091/Product.aspx

It was a 52" so that's another reason for bad SD as on AVforums they are all talking about the 40"

after having a projector for so long going to a 40" would be like watching a portable TV :))

It was a 52" so that's another reason for bad SD as on AVforums they are all talking about the 40"

after having a projector for so long going to a 40" would be like watching a portable TV :))

Yeah i bet :LOL:

Your probs better off getting a 720p Pioneer Plasma or Panasonic PZ85 which is 1080p only downside it dosnt do 1080p over VGA not sure big thing for you though. Thing with Panny worries me is what you can see in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqW...st.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PZ85B/Picture-Quality/

These flashes are known as phosphor trails, the result of differential phosphor decay on plasma televisions. The good news is that the majority of people will not see it (individual susceptibility plays an important part): despite what the above video demonstrates, I simply did not experience such flashes in real-life viewing. The bad news is, if you've been troubled by such flashes on other plasma TVs, it's very likely that you will still see it on the Panasonic TH42PZ85B.

As it says all depends on how susceptible you are to these things looks very apparent in video but reviewer didnt witness it.

Or you could buy another projector but i dont know much about them so cant help you with that.

i have the panasonic th42pz70 which is a full 1080p tv and i have not got this problem. the panasonic px60 and 70 were the models before mine which suffered from the green glare in gow, thankfully mine does not :)),

although mine was a more expensive model than the px70 , i would be disappointed if the pz85 does it

btw i have 20/10 vision which is above average so i would deffo see it, it just isn't there, i have seen other things like colour banding and stuff which is more related to the source but not this issue thankfully, and yes i have looked for it

some people cannot see it, and if thats the case with me, then thank god as that would annoy me

Your probs better off getting a 720p Pioneer Plasma or Panasonic PZ85 which is 1080p only downside it dosnt do 1080p over VGA not sure big thing for you though. Thing with Panny worries me is what you can see in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqW...st.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PZ85B/Picture-Quality/

As it says all depends on how susceptible you are to these things looks very apparent in video but reviewer didnt witness it.

Or you could buy another projector but i dont know much about them so cant help you with that.

My mates got a 42" panny and his don't do that either

So yeah its either a Plamsa or a new PJ

Choices, choices

Do you need to sit with all the curtains drawn and in darkness to have a projector?

Or do they work ok now in normal daylight?

Depends on how many Lumens the bulb has

Mine only has 1100 so full daylight would be poor because all the light will hit the screen your projecting onto and just wash it all out. 1 curtain closed is watchable but still a bit washed out. A dark room is awesome though, that's why i like it when it gets dark early no need to close the curtains then :))

if you get a PJ with 2000/3000 lumens i guess you would be ok with some light, i have never seen any in action but if it does what its supposed to then its gonna be alot brighter

You can also set your lamp power to eco/low or high which makes it brighter still but reduces the bulb life, mines set to eco which is also why i cant watch it in pure daylight with the curtains open

Back
Top Bottom