The TV Thread

Hi guys, I just switched my 360 from the really nice 42 inch hdmi to a crappy roughly 20 in which is in my room. Upside is I get more play time but the downside is it looks crap compared to the HD. So now I want a new tv, probably in the $500 range. I've no idea what to get though that will make the 360 look as good as it can for that price range.

Your thoughts?

It's not worth getting something cheaper, you will get streaking and you will curse yourself. When you're spending out a lot of money on anything you want it to be perfect or otherwise every time you watch the TV you'll think "damn, why the hell didn't I wait an extra couple of months and get the TV I wanted"... Trust me, been there, done that, worn the T-shirt.

What JB said. Avoid the cheaper brands like the plague!!! My mate bought a Technika HD LCD TV the other week and the PS3 looks shocking on it! especially when he plays FIFA. My advice is to try and save as much as poss and get yourself either a Sammy, Tosh or LG set... I have seen some of the lower Priced Sony Bravia's and they make my eyes bleed!

Yeah - my friend got a 50 inch lcd tv (Sorry can't remember the make etc) for the same price I got my 32 inch Panasonic TX32LXD70.

My Panasonic I got for £625 nearly a year ago - just been looking around and the cheapest I can see it for is £599 now!! which is a bit of a suprise - I thought it would have been cheaper by now as the TX32LXD700 is out now.

My Panasonic is fantastic - I have no fault with it. Games look brilliant and so does watching the TV, DVD's etc.

Anyway the 50" tv isn't very good - when he plays Fifa on it it is a pile of shit it stutters and is generally crap. If you can wait a bit longer you should.

Its well worth paying a bit extra for a decent TV - you will regret it if you don't.

Do alot of research aswell and look at reviews of how TV's are with games etc. Thats what I did for my TV and it was well worth all the research.

Ash on these forums gave me the idea for the TV aswell - he was a great help. I was meant to post pictures of the TV - but I have never got a Digital camera - so I couldn't. So sorry about that Ash - your help was greatly appreciated though :DD

Agree with BobbyBox, lots of research and try to see them working and check connections for ease of use etc... Then buy the best you can afford, these things are like buying a PC within months they are bigger and better, but you have to jump sometime..

Ok so since a nice tv is out of my price range, what about a good HD monitor? You can get cheap cables that'll let it run the 360 through it, What price range am i looking at for a good quality monitor, then?

I'm thinking that I'll be picking one of these up sooner rather than later.

It was offered in an official Sony deal at the start of '08 with a 40gb PS3, so with it being almost brand-new as well, it might be a pretty damn good TV.

Always been a Samsung guy with HDTV's, but I figured I might as well try a Bravia to see what they're like.

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=14028

what size are you looking at Staying? if you give us a guide price we can come up with something. Unless it took you an eternity to save your money I dont see why you couldnt wait and buy a reasonable HD TV though bud?

Sorry DJ I missed this post till now. Size will probably be around 20-25 in, not sure my budget could take much more than that.

got the samsung 40" tv i mentioned above playing the 360 through it via the pc connection and the picture is amazing.... i have component cables too but i think i'll stick with pc input it looks superb

Pioneer Kuro LCD's by the end of the year, they'll debut in Europe first and they've also stop all in house production of Plasma's and now they'll make them from parts bought elsewhere...Sharp.

Pioneer Kuro LCD's by the end of the year, they'll debut in Europe first and they've also stop all in house production of Plasma's and now they'll make them from parts bought elsewhere...Sharp.

Hopefully Panasonic :-!

Really sad news, but they will still be releasing plasmas with their Kuro tech which is the best!

I was in a similar budget as you my friend but to be honest you might aswell go for something worth while so ive decided im going to get this.. http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=723054&camp_id=ppc_tvcamp

from everyone i hear it is the "perfect gaming tv" so im gonna pay 300 and get 100 quid lent from my bro..:)

Samsung LE26R88BD

Can I just check that this TV runs games really well?

Especially Footy games like Fifa? Does it run Smoothly?

I have a panasonic 32" and it has 100hz and noticed this Samsung doesn't have it. So just worried it might have problems with watching footy on TV or playing footy games :))

The wife has let me invest in this for the bedroom :DD so It can't be any bigger than 26" as the room is quite small.

If anybody has other suggestions - I don't want to go over £400 and it has to be good for Gaming :))

Cheers

Samsung LE26R88BD

Can I just check that this TV runs games really well?

Especially Footy games like Fifa? Does it run Smoothly?

I have a panasonic 32" and it has 100hz and noticed this Samsung doesn't have it. So just worried it might have problems with watching footy on TV or playing footy games :))

The wife has let me invest in this for the bedroom :DD so It can't be any bigger than 26" as the room is quite small.

If anybody has other suggestions - I don't want to go over £400 and it has to be good for Gaming :))

Cheers

As i've read and heard Bobby its the best gaming tv going so yep its definetly the one you should get...

I've got it. Beauty of a thing...Have yet to notice any flaws. Also have my sattelite running on it and yesterday saw Transformers in HD. Awesome!!! I deffo recommand this TV

I've got it. Beauty of a thing...Have yet to notice any flaws. Also have my sattelite running on it and yesterday saw Transformers in HD. Awesome!!! I deffo recommand this TV

Nice one - Is it good for watching the footy - no ghosting or jerky movements etc?

I can confirm for you that it doesn't Bobby. Great little TV.

Good stuff - I think I will be getting one in the next few weeks. The wife is gonna buy it for my Birthday :DD (Although all our money is Joint - But I don't care :DANCE: )

So then I can play games when I want - Instead of having to get off when she gets home from work - YEE HAA!!!! :BY:

In my experience (and it is fairly limited admittedly), the best LCD for freeview TV is the Toshiba WLT-series. The quality is really, really good, beats the Sonys and the Panasonics IMO. But the best for games is the Samsung, which has a little bit more colour (with it's own special "game mode"), a little bit more clarity and a lot better contrast.

It's not a massive difference between the two though, I think the better colour and contrast of the Samsung is a bigger difference than the freeview quality between the two, if you see what I mean, so I would always go for Samsung and know that I'm getting the best of both worlds.

We have a Toshiba in the living room and Samsungs around the rest of the house, and most of the family have the ( newer :( ) Samsungs, which are really good. An uncle has a Panasonic and someone else has a Sony Bravia, and I can honestly say ( after all the hype you hear ) I don't think they're any better than the Samsung model you mention there, and certainly not worth paying any extra cash for.

So I would definitely recommend that TV to you Bobby.

Back
Top Bottom