The TV Thread

Plasma>LCD, its just the way it is for picture quality IMHO. The current X series you talk about? i.e. X2000?

Damn so close to the almighty Z release and none of the local shops know anything? though the F86's look good.....

Yep, give it time. I hope you aren't dissapointed dude, cos' if I remember, you have been waiting ages for this! Also have you had a look at the Panasonic 42PZ70 or PZ700, they are very good! :8):

It seems a very long time, I got a 32" Sammy to keep me going until I found a good 42"-46" screen...
I have not looked into the newer plasmas, don't ask me why? The 700 looks good, but expensive for a 42" will have a closer look at them!

Look for the 70, or personally I would look at the 50PZ70. You will regret getting a 42", that is if you have space. And then your next upgrade in 4 years will be a 65"er :p

Can't get far enough away with the room layout for much over 46" I think, and I'm sure given the pace of technology I'll be wanting a new screen with the LED back lights in a year or so!!
What's the main difference between the 70 and the 700, which I have now found at £1,359 without Vat..

Can't get far enough away with the room layout for much over 46" I think, and I'm sure given the pace of technology I'll be wanting a new screen with the LED back lights in a year or so!!
What's the main difference between the 70 and the 700, which I have now found at £1,359 without Vat..

Is that PX or PZ?
You want PZ, that is 1080p res, the PX is 768 lines.

I *think* hte main difference is aesthetical, i.e. the design. The 700 has an SD card slot, better audio etc. I think the picture quality is the same, but head over to the plasma section on AVForums to be 100% sure, I have been to busy to keep up with the latest models :p

Thinking about upgrading my Goodmans 26" HDTV for something a bit bigger, preferably with two HDMI ports and will run my consoles nicely. I think I can get about £200 selling my TV and could maybe add another £200/£300 towards a new TV. Any suggestions?

PZ, ash, look good... been tied up work wise so not had chance to have a look.. put a few grand aside on an electrics contract so should be okay for any make even a golden Sony, though I just can't see why they are so much more for the same or in most cases less technology.. Though my last large Sony is still going strong over 10 years later!!

What size are you after, 32"? Or more...because if you go for more on a budget, the quality goes down drasticallay, for £400-500 I would go for a 32" screen :)

Though my last large Sony is still going strong over 10 years later!!

Sony CRTs are the bomb! Esp. the Trinitron models, they were really up there!

Have a demo of the PZ, try a local independent, more chance of helping you out more, but watch out for their BS if they are not knowledagble in the field. They will all say LCD>Plasma etc lol :lol:

Hey ash, i'm planning on getting an lcd monitor for my 360, but I'm not sure which monitors have the right resolutions to keep my picture normal and not stretched. My budget is 200 pounds. The price for: http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_AL2216W_22_inch_LCD_ET.E16WE.008/version-1.asp is great but it seems the supported resolutions (http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/) only match 1280x1024 which I assume is stretched. Do you have any alternatives or know if it will be stretched?

thanks..

Wouldn't you be better spending a little more and buying a HDTV with a bigger screen?

I've been looking around, but I really dont know what to get. My max max max budget is 250 and all I need it to do is be able to play my 360 without any stretching and to be able to project my Macbook pro (i have freeview off it).

Clockender, I did some looking but no luck :( Try AVForums LCD section, and search all the keywords you can think of.

Milanista I'll get to you.

And those OLED TVs.... well finally they are coming out, but only millionaires can afford that TV. 11" for £1000 I bet, its a bit much lol

But its good OLED is coming out, hopefully in 5-8 years time, we will see it like LCD/plasma prices

Guys whats this I hear about Sharp TV's having the best screens? I was chatting to some guys who love their tech stuff and recommended me to get a Sharp tele.

Its just that I dont hear much about them from people. The main 3 brands that tend to get a mention are Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba. Samsung not as much. But I never hear Sharp. Is he chatting rubbish or is there some truth to it?

He pointed me to the new Sharpe LC37X20E. Apparently its 1080p at an affordable price. Also said they do a 1080p tv in 32inch. Any point in that?

As far as I've been told, Panasonic are the best (but way too pricey for the likes of me), Sharp are second best (but still a bit too pricey), Toshiba is third best (very good and affordable), and Samsung are the best you can get for the price. Apparently Sony TVs are a bit crappy - I know a few people with them and the quality isn't great. So we have a Toshiba in the main room and a Samsung in the bedroom.

6/12 months ago there was a Sharp TV coming out that was supposed to have it all (I'm sure it was the LC37X20E). 1080p, great contrast, great quality on all sources etc., but because it was so new I couldn't afford it. Now that time has moved on it may be an affordable price. But we settled for a Toshiba WLT68 (the freeview quality is second-to-none IMO, and there's a lot less motion blur than on most sets I've seen), plus a Samsung LEsomethingorother (good freeview quality, great console-input quality).

But like anything technology-related, it moves so fast that there's probably even better TVs out there now. That's all I know.

As far as I've been told, Panasonic are the best (but way too pricey for the likes of me), Sharp are second best (but still a bit too pricey), Toshiba is third best (very good and affordable), and Samsung are the best you can get for the price. Apparently Sony TVs are a bit crappy - I know a few people with them and the quality isn't great. So we have a Toshiba in the main room and a Samsung in the bedroom.

6/12 months ago there was a Sharp TV coming out that was supposed to have it all (I'm sure it was the LC37X20E). 1080p, great contrast, great quality on all sources etc., but because it was so new I couldn't afford it. Now that time has moved on it may be an affordable price. But we settled for a Toshiba WLT68 (the freeview quality is second-to-none IMO, and there's a lot less motion blur than on most sets I've seen), plus a Samsung LEsomethingorother (good freeview quality, great console-input quality).

But like anything technology-related, it moves so fast that there's probably even better TVs out there now. That's all I know.

Cheers for that mate.

The Sharp that I quoted is a new one, its released later this month. The magic of it is the price. 37inch HDTV with 3 HDMI ports and 1080p for under £1000 at some online stores.

Once I feel confident in buying a Sharp tv I'll grab it. Will need some reassuring first though ;)

Back
Top Bottom