The TV Thread

Hi
I'm look to buy a new HDTV LCD sizes between 37-42. I looking to spend up to £1000.

The most 3 important features i'm looking for is
1)Picture quality
2)Connector e.g, cam slot, s-video etc
3) 1080p full hd

Any recommendations ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sony 40D300 is an amazing set IMHO.

Are you ruling out plasmas?, because IMHO they are a lot better, and prices have dramatically fallen in that to keep up with LCD prices.

You can fix it by altering one of the options, I forget which one. :eh: Let me have a quick Google...

EDIT: Nope, can't find it, but we have that TV and had the exact same problem. ashmufc recommended a few setting tweaks and that fixed it, can't remember what they were though (I think they were sound related).

Last edited:
Sony 40D300 is an amazing set IMHO.

Are you ruling out plasmas?, because IMHO they are a lot better, and prices have dramatically fallen in that to keep up with LCD prices.

Did look at the sony Sony 40D300, but not too sure about it as on the sony site says its a 1080p tv, but on some other sites its says that its not a 1080p tv & only supports 1366 x 768 which would not make it a 1080p tv.

I'll add another vote for the 40D3000 - an amazing bit of kit (and I'm not being biased) ;)

nad2dare, it accepts 1080p signals and downscales to 1366x768. Apparently, this is better than straight-up 720p - haven't made the comparison though.

But it can be argued that there is no point investing in a 1080p 40" - as there is minimal improvement from a regular viewing distance. Also, you will notice more faults on regular SD signals.

I've got 1080p, HDMI 1.3, now 120hz, whats the next thing we're gonna be waiting for?
I was about to buy the X3500 but I already have a 1080p TV in my room. The problem is that the TV is borrowed from my dad until I buy my own and I thought I'd give it back when I get the X3500. But then I realised that HDMI 1.3 and 120hz arent really gonna justify the extra money I'm gonna have to pay for the TV, and my dad doesnt mind me holding on to his TV a while longer. Anyone reckon its worth waiting a while longer for something better? I already have 1080p.

Thanks for your opinions guys but the sony 40D3000 is a not i could settle with, must be 1080p, 1920x1080 resolution.

Cool, no worry.
Well I would definately WAIT for the upcoming Toshiba Z-series.

Are you ruling out plasma?

Plasma>>>>>LCD in picture quality terms, and they come in 1080p now.

TV must be lcd, yes i have ruled plasmas out, as I will mainly have my 360,ps3 connect to the tv.

Anyone have any ideas when the toshiba z or sony x series lcd are out ?

I use XBox360 on my plasma and its running perfect.

The new plasmas are more-or-less screen burn proof. I (well my family) watch so much logo TV and its still fine.

Na, that is an an old-aged rumour.

The new plasmas run for ages, few years easy! That isn't a problem anymore :)

It's just like how people used to say LCDs had image blurring at fast speeds and you couldn't view them from angles.

Seriously, anyone who saved up for a large screen LCD/Plasma back when they weren't HD and had these faults was a tit, they cost over £1000 for a 32" about 5 years back.

LCDs though still do suffer from blurring ;)

Or else, why would Sony/Toshiba/Panasonic etc. spend time making 100hz/120hz -esque technology... or is it what I think a marketing scam! :lmao:

You can fix it by altering one of the options, I forget which one. :eh: Let me have a quick Google...

EDIT: Nope, can't find it, but we have that TV and had the exact same problem. ashmufc recommended a few setting tweaks and that fixed it, can't remember what they were though (I think they were sound related).

I have searched this thread and can't find a post about that, but I will have a muck about with the settings to see if I can fix it, cheers.

Hi guys i know fuck all about TV's but am thinking of getting one is this one any good JVC LT-37DA8? And what sort of response time am i looking for? Thanks.

Last edited:
What is your budget like? And what size are you after, I assume 37"?

And all those stated response times are a lot of BS imho. I read a report on them testing response times of many leading brands and how made up they were. All new models have >8ms response time anyway I think.

You should look for a TV with a minimum of 2 HDMI inputs and for peace of mind I'd recommend name brands only. What about this one?

I'm still waiting for my uni grant to come through when it does I'm getting the above TV in 32"

Hi fellas

just got a samsung 32" R87 model and I have noticed that the speakers are not up to much

now I cant afford a home cinema system so just want some half decent speakers to plug into it

any recomendations? only got a £150 to spend

cheers!

Back
Top Bottom