The TV Thread

In my opinion your two "considers" are way, way too OTT for the bedroom. We have a 42" in the living room and really and truly, that's OTT (when we saw it in the showroom I was like, "oh yeah, bigger is better", but when I saw it in our living room I thought, Jesus Christ, we'll be blind by next week).

27" - 32" is all you need for a bedroom TV.

As for Panasonic 32LXD70 v Sony 32D3000, my uncle has recently bought the Panasonic and says it's the best TV he's ever seen in his life. And besides, if I were you, I'd never (ever) buy anything I hadn't seen in person. Too much money to throw away, and besides, if you buy the Sony and it is worse then you'll be sitting there forever thinking "why the hell did I do that?".

Mmm... defo go for the big screens if you can! You will be gaming most times I assume, so it should look good.

That Toshiba model is quite the bargain in terms of price personally! One of the cheapest branded 1080p around.

If you choose 32", definately go Sony! That is an amazing TV, 24p and good picture quality, and looks very sleek.

And that Sony 40W2000, is plauged with problems. A LOT of people have uneven backlights, where some parts are brighter/darker than others.

And get my wedding ring...

Sony 40W2000 - Dunno why I'm even considering this as it's definitely OTT for a bedroom (or is it?) and over budget. But I loved it on display

I have a 40" 1080p Samsung in my bedroom and it doesnt look OTT. My mate has a 720p LG one and thats also 40".
Anyone who says it looks OTT must be saying it because they have a small bedroom or no space for it.

OTT not only by size but by the whole reasoning of it. I mean, if you have a 40" in your bedroom, what are you gonna have in your living room when u watch a movie with your family/friends? ;)

I'm over complicating the issue a tad.

Ash, the Toshiba 37" X3030 - is it on par in terms of picture quality with the Sony or Pana?

OTT not only by size but by the whole reasoning of it. I mean, if you have a 40" in your bedroom, what are you gonna have in your living room when u watch a movie with your family/friends? ;)

We also have another 40" TV downstairs.

Ash, the Toshiba 37" X3030 - is it on par in terms of picture quality with the Sony or Pana?

To thrown a spanner into the works, you could think about the Sony 40D3000 as well...

Personally, I think the Sony D3000 is currently one of the best LCDs (not over, Plasma FTW ;)) out now!

Sony D3000 - 24p, 100hz motion-technology, 720p, PQ VERY GOOD, but pricey
Toshiba 37X3030- 1080p, PQ in the middle, but very good price...
Sony 40W200 - 1080p, PQ better than the Toshiba, but not as good looking, and has serious clouding issues as I mentioned before. And a lot more expensive than the Toshiba.

Personally, I think the Toshiba has a very good sweet spot, decent PQ, 1080p, good looking and a very good price at £700-ish!

If you come on MSN one day, we can talk? Or tell me a time you can talk on MSN, I'm free... :p

Not much use in Europe I think, we dont get over-the-air HD signals, only via satellite.

To thrown a spanner into the works, you could think about the Sony 40D3000 as well...

Personally, I think the Sony D3000 is currently one of the best LCDs (not over, Plasma FTW ;)) out now!

Sony D3000 - 24p, 100hz motion-technology, 720p, PQ VERY GOOD, but pricey
Toshiba 37X3030- 1080p, PQ in the middle, but very good price...
Sony 40W200 - 1080p, PQ better than the Toshiba, but not as good looking, and has serious clouding issues as I mentioned before. And a lot more expensive than the Toshiba.

Personally, I think the Toshiba has a very good sweet spot, decent PQ, 1080p, good looking and a very good price at £700-ish!

If you come on MSN one day, we can talk? Or tell me a time you can talk on MSN, I'm free... :p

be very very careful with the sony

a)your going to pay $300 just for the name
b)there xbr series from last year had massive ghosting problems, and they didnt show up for months, so none of the reviweing magazines or websites were able to see this issue,so they gave the great marks.
I would go to the av forums and make sure users of that tv did not have any problems after a few months

Yep, I did mention that the Sonys did/do have this problem. I "think" the newr 40W2000 stock no longer have clouding.

As much as I love my 32D3000 and as much as it looked massive when I took it out of the box, it seems to get smaller every day. :p

I think it might be a bit small but it'll do me great for now. :D Though my urge to always go big and better may drive me to buy a X3500 for Christmas. :eek:

With the amount of HD I watch I think bigger is better. :)

Last edited:
Ash knows all about this, but I went John Lewis yesterday to view the TVs (I actually went again today to double check - yes...how sad).

All was very impressive. The Sony D3000 was amazing as were the Pana's - I'll say they were the same tbh. The Sony S2530 was next to the D3000 and tbh, it looked exactly the same to me. I dunno whether I have to get my eyes checked, but I didn't see much benefit from the supposed 10bit colour and 100hz - although, the blacks were better on the D3000.

The disappointment was the Toshiba X3030 - the blacks were poor...it was practically grey(!).

But overall, if I've learnt anything from trekking up to JL, size matters. I was originally happy with the 32" - but after checking out the 40", I want that now :). I'll be seated 6 to 12 ft away so 40" will be best imo.

I dunno whether I'll invest extra for the 40D3000 - I'll prob go with the 40S2530 if I was sensible :)

Ash knows all about this, but I went John Lewis yesterday to view the TVs (I actually went again today to double check - yes...how sad).

All was very impressive. The Sony D3000 was amazing as were the Pana's - I'll say they were the same tbh. The Sony S2530 was next to the D3000 and tbh, it looked exactly the same to me. I dunno whether I have to get my eyes checked, but I didn't see much benefit from the supposed 10bit colour and 100hz - although, the blacks were better on the D3000.

The disappointment was the Toshiba X3030 - the blacks were poor...it was practically grey(!).

But overall, if I've learnt anything from trekking up to JL, size matters. I was originally happy with the 32" - but after checking out the 40", I want that now :). I'll be seated 6 to 12 ft away so 40" will be best imo.

I dunno whether I'll invest extra for the 40D3000 - I'll prob go with the 40S2530 if I was sensible :)

Supposedly the Sony's 100hz technology is crap compared to Panasonics.

Here is a good review for the Sony D3000: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sony-KDL32D3000/

You can also catch a video of the 100hz in action on that site on the D3000 and Pannys.

just looking for some advice if possible, i have ordered a PS3 to be delivered and now im thinking i need a new tv to go with it. it will only be for my bedroom so around 20" will be fine. Wondering if anyone had any recommendations, i wouldnt wanna spend more then £300 if possible. cheers

I've got a 40D3000 on the way....apparently it's been dispatched already - can't wait!

Also found out today that the model is being discontinued by Sony(!!). Not concerned as the replacement model is more expensive and 1080p. I haven't noticed much difference between 1080p & 720p on a 40" screens from a couple of feet away tbh.

Discontinued already? Usually Sony keep their lines up for 8 months or so.
If you look at the W2000 that has been going strong for a Looong time.

Anyway, good luck with the set (praying for no dead pixels :p)

I'm still waiting on the Z-Series...

Back
Top Bottom