The Retro-PES Corner

Ever have one of those epic PES (6) games that had everything? I am playing the 2010 World Cup with a bunch of teams and just defeated Brazil in an absolute classic of a semifinal with the USA 4-3 after extra time and 7 rounds of penalties. The game had everything, and I need to write it down now as I couldn't record anything:
  • Early corner kick goal by Grafite in the 9th minute
  • Luisão hacks down Herculez Gomez in the box, Landon Donovan penalty equalizer
  • I take a 2-1 lead and look to be on my way
  • Midfield turnover leads to Dani Alves hooking up with Grafite (him again!)
  • I press on, trying to get the winner before extra time as most players are exhausted, but I am all over them
  • Lucio, the last defender, hauls down Clint Dempsey and sees red
  • Moments later, I hit the crossbar off a corner
  • In extra time, a dicey decision what I think is a clean tackle gives Brazil a free kick at the top of the 18. Naturally, Kaka buries it and suddenly I'm down 3-2 despite a two-man advantage
  • Saying "fuck the world," Michael Bradley splits the midfield and hits a 25m laser to tie the game at 3 in the 112th
  • Penalties: Brazil take early 3-1 lead as I cannot hit the broadside of a barn with a banjo with any of my fellas
  • Somehow, Michael Bastos misses and Tim Howard stuffs Dani Alves and it's 3-3 going into extra rounds
  • I, of course, miss. But so does Felipe Melo. Suck it.
  • Robbie Findley and I take the lead, and then Howard denies Josué, sending the plucky Americans onto the final, where we will meet either Germany or Italy
Football, bloody hell.

Special thanks to the Alex and the real-life gameplay adjustments and Shahrudeen for making PES6 so good. Just like a World Cup match should be, it was tight, but this one was special. A classic semifinal.

I was messing with J-L Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship lately. Lovely game, the lower stats database of the japanese teams suits 2008 dna quite well (I'd say way better than the purely western one). Did a quick, plain J-League with Vissel Kobe to unlock the six stars, and between the fanstic atmosphere and the super varied gameplay I already had plenty of fun. Since we are talking about old magazines and whatnot, in a lot of ways this game is more or less what I envisioned for Perfect Striker to be when I looked at the preview pictures back in the days.. exotic, fun and a damn good representation of the game. Among the other things, loved what they did with the keeper; I still like Pes 5/WE9 more, but the improvements compared with Pes 6 are gigantic imo. I did a small compilation of saves I particularly enjoyed about my goalie Enomoto:

Also wanted to share this magnificent header CPU scored against me:

I think I can't remember ever being scored against from such a long distance with an header in Ps2 era (or maybe at all, considering any "modern" football game!).

By the way, once I unlocked the 6 stars, I gave a brief look to ML.. and, to my surprise, I discovered there apparently is Fifa Club World Cup.. or at least a fake version of it!?

it only appears, togheter with all the rest of the asian cups when, after entering the ML mode, you select the Japanese League,.. in the European one apparently the structure is the old usual same. Don't know if it was already well known and I discovered the hot water (noticed a youtuber already talked about it two years ago here), but it's kinda big for me.. already fantasizing about a run to bring it all home or something.

It's also a shame and frankly a bit unexplicable they did such a more accurate representation of the whole JL season to the point of including a version of the World Cup for clubs and never thought about implementing something similar in some of the european chapters. Would have loved to death to have it even and maybe mostly in Ps3 era, where ML depth was at the peak.

The J.League games seem to have little perks like that. I've noticed in JLWE9 that among the fake teams they have all the participants from the 2005 Asian Champions League. Why didn't they do that for Europe?!

The J.League games seem to have little perks like that. I've noticed in JLWE9 that among the fake teams they have all the participants from the 2005 Asian Champions League. Why didn't they do that for Europe?!

The plot gets even thicker if you think ML already had the skip ability match feature (that would have seen the light on next gen only from 2010 onwards) and, as I discovered by a comment under that youtuber's video and verified first hand, talking again about the already mentioned J-League ML they went as far as putting the foreigners limit per squad exactly as it was in those years!

foreignplayers.jpg

To discover this stuff is fascinating to no end to me. You can truly see the love for precision and details of whoever put this togheter. Why japanese chapters like this or JL WE9 were so polished/had more things than the european ones is also a very interesting question. Different sub-developers? Easier to do since after all it was their "home" thing? Just no love for us gaijins :P ? Would really like to know.

What a great interview! These magazines really were gems. Great questions & informative answers. This guy journalism's

Bring back the A-team! Who else could pull off those red jackets? They had the balance right with 3 devs & 1 suit.

Going through these archives has really made me miss magazines. After 20+ years of using the internet I'd argue there's very much place for a glossy, monthly drip-feeding of news and opinion in your hands, to keep forever. I think the internet gives us the illusion that the world is fast-moving but in most spaces I probably don't gain any more value from hours on the internet, daily, than I would hours on a magazine, monthly. But production costs mean it won't even be an option for future generations.

Anyway, yes, that interview is great. From when Konami's biggest rival was, er, Konami. And a peek behind the curtain from a time when there was a curtain.

Hi bros! I've downloaded PES 2011, but I'm having a small problem..

The game won't recognize my dedicated GPU video card! It's funny, because I can run PES 2021 no problem with high quality.

pes2011.jpg

As you can see, the settings won't even recognize my video card. Anyone knows how to fix this? Thanks in advance. :TU:

Last edited:
I tried all PES and FIFA games from PES 5 - PES 2016 and FIFA 11 - FIFA 16...
The best of them were PES 5, PES 6, PES 2014 version 1.0.0, FIFA 11 PC..
Now i have on my pc the PES 5 original season, PES 6 original season, PES 2014 and FIFA 11...
I dont like the ball physics of PES 2013 and the shoots...
The best of the best is PES 5 but it has problem with fouls...the ref is giving 10000 fouls...
Do you have a working download link for Pes 2014?

Just noticed after 15 years there's dynamic weather in pes 6, I'm testing and playing in 4k though so maybe that's how I'm able to see it, game started raining, stopped raining for 30 in game minutes and has started again, very embarrassing that something from 15 years ago still wipes the floor with modern football games

When i see all the micro options and features like this it makes me think about something.
Like gameplay changed during the match, sliding and all features you got when it's raining etc. etc.

I think they really got fun to create games in the past, and fun to add new features. Now it's like they're way too much like under a "dictatorship" and if the chief of X departement said "not important, not noticeable when you play etc." the fact is you discover or remember it after 15 years, personnally i was aware (as you were at the time)
... But i didn't remembered they "removed" it on every new versions of any Football game, i really thinked that thing was "restored" since there's rain on PES or FIFA.
So i can't (corrected) say "it's something that tilt me" / But the amount of little stuffs like that is what makes a game identity. "Did you see? It's start raining!" etc.
Or i remember the injuries with the kind of injury in League, Cup, ML mode. "Out 3 weeks for ankle injury" or "arm injury" even head etc.
It so simple to introduce. There's thing in more on new version of those modes but things put on the trash for no reason.
Even on PS3 version, some stuffs were erased. It's not dating since Fox or whatever....

I really think the issue is the global ambient in their studio while they create the game. It's another era. An era where they don't impose their vision on people of what a sport game should be, but the "feedbacks" from 12 y.o. etc. and complaining for nothing influenced too much the mood of every company.
Some don't care at all. That's why i love From Software : like it or not, found it too difficult or not (like people said about Sekiro) we won't change.

Well, sport are connected to reality, so you got to focus on reality. But they done it 15-20 years ago with their own version.
But before having it.... How many football games? Personnally, except ISS, the first game representating "real" different players on console/first you could tell "I'm playing with Roberto Baggio and Ravanelli" not even neeeded real names (but one big bug with the long ball > score after the kick-off... Corrected on Deluxe version, far better, best 16 bits Football game to me by far)

BUT also the first Fifa, in 3D isometric and practically all movement you could do on football (except cross and header : no one used it lol)
Also Super Sidekicks if i remember was out at +- the same time the I or the II... But only on Arcade, or if you got a good rich friend with a NEO GEO haha.

Well there weren't no football game that i could've play with a real focus. I like some like Tecmo World Cup 93 on MS i liked the ambiance very "16 bits", and a bit Sensible/Kick Off, but it was "ugly" and i don't liked the aerial view: but i remember a friend having it and it was fun because hard and random so we laughed about the non-sense stuff we were doing.
Sometimes "small" stuffs can block you a bit. Graphisms when you're young... Very important.

Ah yeah, Eric Cantona on Snes, but weirdly i didn't saw it really like a football game lol. More a "scoring the more i could on 3 minutes" game.

Last edited:
When i see all the micro options and features like this it makes me think about something.
Like gameplay changed during the match, sliding and all features you got when it's raining etc. etc.

I think they really got fun to create games in the past, and fun to add new features. Now it's like they're way too much like under a "dictatorship" and if the chief of X departement said "not important, not noticeable when you play etc." the fact is you discover or remember it after 15 years, personnally i was aware (as you were at the time)
... But i didn't remembered they "removed" it on every new versions of any Football game, i really thinked that thing was "restored" since there's rain on PES or FIFA.
So i can say "it's something that tilt me" / But the amount of little stuffs like that is what makes a game identity. "Did you see? It's start raining!" etc.
Or i remember the injuries with the kind of injury in League, Cup, ML mode. "Out 3 weeks for ankle injury" or "arm injury" even head etc.
It so simple to introduce. There's thing in more on new version of those modes but things put on the trash for no reason.
Even on PS3 version, some stuffs were erased. It's not dating since Fox or whatever....

I really think the issue is the global ambient in their studio while they create the game. It's another era. An era where they don't impose their vision on people of what a sport game should be, but the "feedbacks" from 12 y.o. etc. and complaining for nothing influenced too much the mood of every company.
Some don't care at all. That's why i love From Software : like it or not, found it too difficult or not (like people said about Sekiro) we won't change.

Well, sport are connected to reality, so you got to focus on reality. But they done it 15-20 years ago with their own version.
But before having it.... How many football games? Personnally, except ISS, the first game representating "real" different players on console/first you could tell "I'm playing with Roberto Baggio and Ravanelli" not even neeeded real names (but one big bug with the long ball > score after the kick-off... Corrected on Deluxe version, far better, best 16 bits Football game to me by far)

BUT also the first Fifa, in 3D isometric and practically all movement you could do on football (except cross and header : no one used it lol)
Also Super Sidekicks if i remember was out at +- the same time the I or the II... But only on Arcade, or if you got a good rich friend with a NEO GEO haha.

Well there weren't no football game that i could've play with a real focus. I like some like Tecmo World Cup 93 on MS i liked the ambiance very "16 bits", and a bit Sensible/Kick Off, but it was "ugly" and i don't liked the aerial view: but i remember a friend having it and it was fun because hard and random so we laughed about the non-sense stuff we were doing.
Sometimes "small" stuffs can block you a bit. Graphisms when you're young... Very important.

Ah yeah, Eric Cantona on Snes, but weirdly i didn't saw it really like a football game lol. More a "scoring the more i could on 3 minutes" game.

I agree, the passion developer's once had isn't there & due to corporate demands, we can't even blame devs.

All those games you listed reminded me of another old gem. Have you guys heard of New Star Soccer 5? It's on Steam (although they are focusing mainly on their other mobile games now), this old gem plays alot like Sensible Soccer (96?). It is Sensible Soccer with Become a Legend mode ;)

Well... It's one big issue since the democratisation of Social Network. Well, one thing i could say is that for sure PES 3 to 6 were a bit influenced by some japanese forums / who were a bit kind of social medias. But it was more a place to took ideas like "ah yeah, we didn't thinked about it! Good, we will put it in the game no? Agree everyone? Everyone : yes good idea mate, lets do it"
And that's all. They keeped their own view. And Don't think Seabass created the game : he was behind some ideas but his main focus was the (superb) ball physics and players reactions to them was discussed with others devs.
Ball physics and controls were not all Seabass ideas, but he given a lot of it : especially connexion with players/ball > who resulted to new features. But stats and all, there were other no name genius behind it.

I agree, the passion developer's once had isn't there & due to corporate demands, we can't even blame devs.

All those games you listed reminded me of another old gem. Have you guys heard of New Star Soccer 5? It's on Steam (although they are focusing mainly on their other mobile games now), this old gem plays alot like Sensible Soccer (96?). It is Sensible Soccer with Become a Legend mode ;)

Bro, if you can found me, even in 2D / A game influenced by ISS Deluxe and not Sensible soccer, with some stuff who weren't there at the time like height (well weight isn't needed like for 3D engine, but for a 2d game just the type of physic from skinny to very stocky for making a visual difference : stats will do the rest. And of course some special physics : but it should still physically realstic) i'm on it.

One guy wanted to create one kind of game and opened a thread. That my suggestion to be honest : a 2D game, perhaps with 32 directions or 64 (enough to me / and easier to make controls and balance) based on Iss Deluxe. I replayed the game, and it really maked me think of actual Fifa standing and sliding tackle but more effective.

The only difference would be the goals: not totally 3D isometric, but kind of "3D effect" you gotted on 2D games.
Like i don't know, the ground on Street fighter 2. Totally doable with the tools we got now.

I'm thinking to post my idea on the thread but i don't think that what the guy opened the thread is searching for. Pixel art, as i'm a retro-gamer : i got a real "way" to make it 16 bits lookalike. Putting both "scanlines" and "smooth" filter together. That's what i do in Emulation : i got result like there's no anoying pixels : they're smoothed by the filter + scanlines gives the sensation of erasing them completely. To me, it looks better than it should never have been before. But when i started Emulation, i was a bit reluctant to scanlines. Now i understand how important it is. I got a Scanline Generator (not the big one, the cheap one like around 25 euros working like a charm, found on Amazon, very good reviews)
Because what indie youth people think, we didn't got big pixel at the time : all devs tried to found a way to totally erase those pixels in a way or another.
Example :

1632485567680.png

Bro, if you can found me, even in 2D / A game influenced by ISS Deluxe and not Sensible soccer, with some stuff who weren't there at the time like height (well weight isn't needed like for 3D engine, but for a 2d game just the type of physic from skinny to very stocky for making a visual difference : stats will do the rest. And of course some special physics : but it should still physically realstic) i'm on it.

One guy wanted to create one kind of game and opened a thread. That my suggestion to be honest : a 2D game, perhaps with 32 directions or 64 (enough to me / and easier to make controls and balance) based on Iss Deluxe. I replayed the game, and it really maked me think of actual Fifa standing and sliding tackle but more effective.

The only difference would be the goals: not totally 3D isometric, but kind of "3D effect" you gotted on 2D games.
Like i don't know, the ground on Street fighter 2. Totally doable with the tools we got now.

I'm thinking to post my idea on the thread but i don't think. Pixel art, as i'm a retro-gamer : i got a real "way" to make it 16 bits lookalike. Putting both "scanlines" and "smooth" filter together. That's what i do in Emulation : i got result like there's no pixels.
Because what indie youth people think, we didn't got big pixel at the time : all devs tried to found a way to totally erase those pixels in a way or another.
Example :

View attachment 122878

That would be amazing & I will keep an eye out for you. I have a few soccer games on Steam that I haven't even install yet.

ISS Deluxe was a fun game, the only thing that actually bugged me about it was, the goals would mostly come from rebounds. As the keeper saved shots from all angles & distance, you had to make sure you were there for rebound :LOL: But for its time an amazing game, which I think was the first to use form arrows. But they were those little emoticon faces :D Wow now I think of it, we should have them on this forum!

Yes, but i said "inspired of" Because it's the best, overally in terms of controls and all, 2D football game! Not a copy past of it. Super Sidekicks and practically all those type of Action football games gotted that way to score now that i remember... Super Soccer Champ too (i played it a lot, forgot to mention)
But with + positionning while shooting, so more option of ball direction: it's wouldn't be a problem anymore for a 2D games. Ball physics would be different about shooting and all. But FFS i don't have the programming skills to do it. Or i would, i got tons of ideas, also for stats and balance etc.

Neo geo was called a "26 bits" console. There was one 32 bits chip on it, the other 16 bits) But the system was by far different. Also the approach when you where in position to shoot / camera change from the shooted POV etc.

But well you're right about rebound, even if you could check "best ISS Deluxe goals" on YT or something like that, you'll be impressed sincerely.
I didn't thinked once you could've score goals like this in that game.

I'm thinking to post my idea on the thread but i don't think that what the guy opened the thread is searching for. Pixel art, as i'm a retro-gamer : i got a real "way" to make it 16 bits lookalike. Putting both "scanlines" and "smooth" filter together. That's what i do in Emulation : i got result like there's no anoying pixels : they're smoothed by the filter + scanlines gives the sensation of erasing them completely. To me, it looks better than it should never have been before. But when i started Emulation, i was a bit reluctant to scanlines. Now i understand how important it is. I got a Scanline Generator (not the big one, the cheap one like around 25 euros working like a charm, found on Amazon, very good reviews)
Example :

View attachment 122878
Man I'd love to death a 2d game like you described, I'm pretty sure I've even proposed myself something similar in the past. The important to me would be depth in gameplay and atmosphere, things you can easily have even without complicated graphics. To the contrary I think not having to make a visually looking next gen game would simplify a thousand times the possibility to focus on what is important to have fun. Such a shame probably nobody will ever even try.

Man I'd love to death a 2d game like you described, I'm pretty sure I've even proposed myself something similar in the past. The important to me would be depth in gameplay and atmosphere, things you can easily have even without complicated graphics. To the contrary I think not having to make a visually looking next gen game would simplify a thousand times the possibility to focus on what is important to have fun. Such a shame probably nobody will ever even try.

There is a resurgence in these type of games recently. Alot of Dark Souls inspired pixel adventures & Contra style side-shooters are emerging. One is even straight up just called 8-bit Bayonetta :LOL: There is still hope for a football game of this nature I feel. I knew I should've continued that programming course :((

I won't lie, i didn't like ISS (the KCEO version) on PS1 but also ISS64 and ISS2000 :JAY:
After having played with ISS 98 with Ravanelli vs Matthaus on the CD, the others games except ISS PRO (made more by KCEO about gameplay but with some ISS feature) practically all the others games seemed "glued" to the ball, less dynamic... Well, less football. Until the "Pro Evolution" version cames out.

Also hated FIFA 98 and practically all football games from that time.
2 exceptions : the very first Fifa on PS1 with 2D players but 3D grass i buyed, but it's more a matter of nostalgia : i replayed it.. Well it's more like i tried with all my heart to replay it but simply unplayable. I don't even know how i scored goal in that dimension.
And the second was Adidas Power Soccer as the tone was given with their super shoot in fire etc.

Virtua Striker was one of my crush, especially the 2, but way later. I remember at the time preferred it to ISS PRO Evolution lol, no joke but it was pretty unpredictable. Then i learned to play ISS PRO evolution version (it was at the time very different and less "appealing" in terms of "ambiance" than ISS 98 for example) and i became a big big fan. Was ugly and some FPS issues, but the 2 was superb.
Except one thing : the 1-2. Too easy, but no one was aware of it a the time, i used it for everything even in defence 😂
... But the biggest of ALL crush i got, i was completely HYPNOTISED by the game the first time i launched it was PES 1. The one-two not automatic changed litterally my way to play lol.
I tried it with a friend who was very good and he said "fuck the space between players! Totally different" I don't remember if he said there was more or less space. Probably more, but it was harder overally to score.

@Flipper the Priest These old PES ads are great! It’s amusing that England’s German complex was not only used in promoting one of the games, but also later for FIFA World Cup 2002 ads that had a German man in leiderhosen with the trophy and a tag line like “only you can prevent this!”

Not only that, but 1997 was a year in which nothing happened, internationally (not counting the Tournoi), so they really played on the fact that England fans were still licking their wounds from Euro 96 a year later. “In 96 we suffered, but 97 we get our revenge!”

Bros, I have a question.. What would be the best AIO patch for PES 2013?

PESJP Jenkey vs PESEdit? What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of each? I'd really appreciate if we could review them in some detail.

Thanks a lot! :TU:

Back
Top Bottom