The Retro-PES Corner

Hi all, wondering if you could help me: I started playing some of the old PES classics on PS2 again and wanted to get real names, clubs etc.. and read for that it requires a Max Drive and then an option file that's put on there and then loaded into the PS2 (like here).

Now I ordered and received the Max Drive, loaded the option file on there, but the PS2 won't recognise the max drive at all. While doing some digging I read usually there's also a Max Drive disc needed. However that wasn't part of what I got. Perhaps I naively though the drive is enough... or am I just doing something wrong?

This is what I got: 20240108_113611.jpg

Hi all, wondering if you could help me: I started playing some of the old PES classics on PS2 again and wanted to get real names, clubs etc.. and read for that it requires a Max Drive and then an option file that's put on there and then loaded into the PS2 (like here).

Now I ordered and received the Max Drive, loaded the option file on there, but the PS2 won't recognise the max drive at all. While doing some digging I read usually there's also a Max Drive disc needed. However that wasn't part of what I got. Perhaps I naively though the drive is enough... or am I just doing something wrong?

This is what I got: View attachment 256220

Hi, it’s been ages since I have used a Max Drive as I use Free Mcboot now.

But if I remember, you need to put the new option file onto the Max Drive USB from your PC.

Then while the PS2 is off, put the green disc into your ps2, and your Max Drive USB into the PS2, and also a Memory Card into the PS2.

Turn the PS2 on.

There should be a menu that comes up and you then select the option file from the Max Drive and Uncrush it onto the Memory Card.

That should be it.

I am writing this before I sleep so apologies if i have missed something out.

Let me know how you get on.

At the weekend, I copied a lot of my PS4 data to my PS5. Including the OF's of PES 2015-2021.

And when I check, it all copied. But the kits and emblems are everywhere 😪 So I'm going to have to manually re-install all the OF's onto each individual game again. At least my 2015 works aren't lost.

This is a warning for anyone who attempts in the future. Best to just install to each game fresh, rather than 'copy' data

This is what I got: View attachment 256220

Looks like you only have the PC driver disc - without the PS2 disc you're scuppered I'm afraid. It's needed to allow the drive to communicate with the memory card, and the guide posted by @geeeeee won't work.

If I were you I'd cut my losses and buy or make a FreeMCBoot memory card. It's easier and quicker than the Max Drive.

Many thanks @Flipper the Priest @geeeeee for your quick help!

That's a shame, not sure how to get the disc, can't find it on ebay or anywhere... FreeMCBoot memory card sounds intriguing if that's the way you recommend instead.

To make sure I'm getting the right thing this time, is this the correct card: 128mb MCBoot?

Max Drives are rare enough these days. I still have mine and say with some confidence that FreeMCBoot is miles better.

That 128MB card should do the trick. All the experts on YouTube etc say you're best getting it on an official card but I'm not sure how much is in that. I've no experience with third party cards myself but haven't heard any complaints from those who have!

You'll also need a bog-standard USB stick to transfer files. You can also play games from USB, negating the need for discs, something to think about in terms of capacity.

Anything else, give me a shout. I think there's a good few proficient FreeMCBoot users here too!

I tried using one of these files. Everything was great but i had the English championship loaded and none of the appearances, heights, and weights were correct. Not sure if I did something wrong.
Installation is not difficult, you download and install version 3.5, select the PES 2013 folder (clean game) and complete installation, after that, open the file with version 3.9, install it in the game folder as well and finally, install the gameplay tool file also following the previous steps. I didn't have any problems with this patch, it works perfectly.

I also thought so, but... You know that having another look at the pics I can't really tell which game it is?
Real Madrid kits look a bit too "baggy" to be from PES 2015, but maybe I'm wrong.
Well I know because I recognise the kits are from the 14/15 session & Neymar only had that face on 2015.

Hello guys, I can gladly help you.
First of all, I can suggest also pte patch and pesedit, which seems to have a solution with selector issues, as recently reported in this topic :))
https://evoweb.uk/threads/pesedit-s...023-how-to-change-leagues.96122/#post-4018833

If you want to play pes jp patch, here are links:
https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2017/12/pes-2013-pesjp-patch-2013-ultimate-by-jenkey1002.html

I'm testing during these days and it seems the patch with most variety of solutions in the selector and graphic content in great quantity and quality.
The installation is on clean game. In the link I provided you will find a first version and the subsequent update.
Up to this point there would be nothing else to do, except that on my PC I encounter two problems: the first is a slight lag, the second concerns the gameplay tool, which never starts.
So let's get to the solution I found yesterday.
Download these files: https://sharemods.com/bqkro4d9c0l5/default_exe_gameplay_tool.zip.html
- You will find the "default exe" folder. Take those files and replace them with those in your pes 2013 folder (always making backups)
- There is also the gameplay tool exe. Replace it in the jp patch folder.

Now everything should work properly.

the default exe is just pes 2013 crack both for 1.0 & 1.03 and the gameplay config.exe is the old version 3.21 which is the last version of gameplay tool that works for >win 10 v1607. And i think the last version gameplay tool for PESJP was 3.35. Biggest difference is in v3.21 there's no option for graphic tab like this.

One thing i noticed that the exe size of v3.21 version is slightly bigger than v3.25 or any other releases. Maybe If someone could unpack and analyze what's inside it maybe we could run gameplay tool in windows 10/11 ?

Yeah @Hayes said the same about Ronaldo's face.
My bad! ✋

And the neck, it's still giving me nightmare... lol

the default exe is just pes 2013 crack both for 1.0 & 1.03 and the gameplay config.exe is the old version 3.21 which is the last version of gameplay tool that works for >win 10 v1607. And i think the last version gameplay tool for PESJP was 3.35. Biggest difference is in v3.21 there's no option for graphic tab like this.

One thing i noticed that the exe size of v3.21 version is slightly bigger than v3.25 or any other releases. Maybe If someone could unpack and analyze what's inside it maybe we could run gameplay tool in windows 10/11 ?

And the neck, it's still giving me nightmare... lol
You're right!
Replacing exe I didn't see lag and stuttering anymore, but it was a random attempt :D
Same thing I did with gameplay tool exe. The last version is 3.35 and it never started on my laptop, so I tried to paste the pte patch gp exe and it works, but without the graphic tab function that you mentioned.
I had only one issue so far. The kit selection via gameplay tool is not visible anymore. I used it just few times.

You're right!
Replacing exe I didn't see lag and stuttering anymore, but it was a random attempt :D
Same thing I did with gameplay tool exe. The last version is 3.35 and it never started on my laptop, so I tried to paste the pte patch gp exe and it works, but without the graphic tab function that you mentioned.
I had only one issue so far. The kit selection via gameplay tool is not visible anymore. I used it just few times.

You mean like this ?

That feature was introduced in Gameplay tool 3.30, it's basically an exclusive feature for PESJP. Last public release for Gameplay Tool was 3.25 & don't have that feature as far as i know. Anyway someone made unofficial gameplay tool based on jenkey's work, it's using most of jenkey's gameplay tool modules here. Also support for 1.04. I haven't tested yet though :THINK:

You mean like this ?

That feature was introduced in Gameplay tool 3.30, it's basically an exclusive feature for PESJP. Last public release for Gameplay Tool was 3.25 & don't have that feature as far as i know. Anyway someone made unofficial gameplay tool based on jenkey's work, it's using most of jenkey's gameplay tool modules here. Also support for 1.04. I haven't tested yet though :THINK:
Yeah, that's what I mean.
I just downloaded this updated gameplay tool. Gonna try it in the next days.
Thanks a lot :BEER:

Max Drives are rare enough these days. I still have mine and say with some confidence that FreeMCBoot is miles better.

That 128MB card should do the trick. All the experts on YouTube etc say you're best getting it on an official card but I'm not sure how much is in that. I've no experience with third party cards myself but haven't heard any complaints from those who have!

You'll also need a bog-standard USB stick to transfer files. You can also play games from USB, negating the need for discs, something to think about in terms of capacity.

Anything else, give me a shout. I think there's a good few proficient FreeMCBoot users here too!
Many thanks! I just ordered the card and will see how I get one; will get back to you if any issues. :)

Yeah, that's what I mean.
I just downloaded this updated gameplay tool. Gonna try it in the next days.
Thanks a lot :BEER:
If you want to change leagues and open the menu, just press F1 on the keyboard, in addition, mine doesn't open while the menu is in progress, I usually set the option to exit the game and press F1 when the confirmation to exit appears. or not from the game and it works perfectly, I haven't tested if there is another easier way to open the kits menu, but this one worked for me and I'm using it without any problems.

If you want to change leagues and open the menu, just press F1 on the keyboard, in addition, mine doesn't open while the menu is in progress, I usually set the option to exit the game and press F1 when the confirmation to exit appears. or not from the game and it works perfectly, I haven't tested if there is another easier way to open the kits menu, but this one worked for me and I'm using it without any problems.
Thanks for the help!
I tried the gameplay tool version posted by @Hayes and it works. Now I can switch kits ingame :))
Now I'm gonna test some gameplay functions.

In these days i was playing some 6 stars International Cup matches on Pes5 and i discovered a thing: on Cup matches A.I is way way more challenging than in others modality. On both defense and attack side. It Is really a different game from exhibition matches and master League too. Attack A.i Is more varied and more effective. On defense side Is more harder than ever... It Is really Amazing.

I tryed Cup matches even on we9le but in this one i find the same A.i ( that i find weaker than the pes5 one) which i play against in others modality.

In these days i was playing some 6 stars International Cup matches on Pes5 and i discovered a thing: on Cup matches A.I is way way more challenging than in others modality. On both defense and attack side. It Is really a different game from exhibition matches and master League too. Attack A.i Is more varied and more effective. On defense side Is more harder than ever... It Is really Amazing.

I tryed Cup matches even on we9le but in this one i find the same A.i ( that i find weaker than the pes5 one) which i play against in others modality.
This is absolutely true, i also recommend you trying the league mode, AI is amazing there aswell, the most challenging AI appears during a combination of "special" or "derby" matches + you playing as the away team.

On another note, there is a project developed by @elaf that seeks to improve the general AI of the game in all modes, if anyone not yet wary of it wants to try it your feedback will be apreciated, it's for PC only: https://evoweb.uk/threads/elaf-ai-tool-for-pes5-new-v2-10-jan-24.81326/

This is absolutely true, i also recommend you trying the league mode, AI is amazing there aswell, the most challenging AI appears during a combination of "special" or "derby" matches + you playing as the away team.

On another note, there is a project developed by @elaf that seeks to improve the general AI of the game in all modes, if anyone not yet wary of it wants to try it your feedback will be apreciated, it's for PC only: https://evoweb.uk/threads/elaf-ai-tool-for-pes5-new-v2-10-jan-24.81326/
I would love try mods on this game and fifa 16 aswell,but i don't have a pc 🥲. So i am still playing vanilla versions on console.
I hope that in the future i will get a pc...

Little off topic in this regard: my problem with PC Is that i don't have a place where put it.
Are laptops good for gaming?

I would love try mods on this game and fifa 16 aswell,but i don't have a pc 🥲. So i am still playing vanilla versions on console.
I hope that in the future i will get a pc...

Little off topic in this regard: my problem with PC Is that i don't have a place where put it.
Are laptops good for gaming?
u need to buy mid range laptop , not low budget 700$ ones, for me i had gigabyte g5 with rtx 3050ti, it was n t good enough,
this year i bought asus tuf f15 with rtx 4070, and it s a brilliant laptop , plays all games no problem with above 100 fps

i used to play PES 5 a lot, and in international cup, i had the best matches, even better than ML

I did not know this.
Thanks for sharing !

The difference in AI effectiveness across game modes has always been a bit of a thing, it’s primarily caused by the teamwork stat I think.

They showed this as a number on later games and brought it out in the open as a feature (Team Spirit) but I’m pretty certain it’s always been part of ML. It’s alluded to in the PES6 guide about how players have individual teamwork stat which in turn affects the ‘team’ teamwork stat. Which we don’t really see but it’s there.

I think this is what impacts ML matches, where you’ll often find games you might expect to lose be quite a bit easier (imitating being the underdog, no expectations, no pressure etc), and games you should win much harder.

Exhibition/league mode does not have this stuff happening under the hood I don’t believe, so you don’t get that interference, it’s therefore a lot more stat based. You still get the affects of the individual player teamwork stat but not the overall. I assume this is the same for the cup mode (don’t play that mode myself).

From a development point of view I understand the need for this, as ML is focused on improving your squad and always progressing forwards. The game doesn’t want you to finish 7th in D2 every year. You’re supposed to get promoted and get into Europe etc.

Now of course I could be talking total rubbish as I don’t believe Konami has ever absolutely confirmed it but after playing for many years this is my understanding of what we experience with different game mode difficulties:)).

I did not know this.
Thanks for sharing !
You are welcome! Give It a try, you will appreciate It!
The difference in AI effectiveness across game modes has always been a bit of a thing, it’s primarily caused by the teamwork stat I think.

They showed this as a number on later games and brought it out in the open as a feature (Team Spirit) but I’m pretty certain it’s always been part of ML. It’s alluded to in the PES6 guide about how players have individual teamwork stat which in turn affects the ‘team’ teamwork stat. Which we don’t really see but it’s there.

I think this is what impacts ML matches, where you’ll often find games you might expect to lose be quite a bit easier (imitating being the underdog, no expectations, no pressure etc), and games you should win much harder.

Exhibition/league mode does not have this stuff happening under the hood I don’t believe, so you don’t get that interference, it’s therefore a lot more stat based. You still get the affects of the individual player teamwork stat but not the overall. I assume this is the same for the cup mode (don’t play that mode myself).

From a development point of view I understand the need for this, as ML is focused on improving your squad and always progressing forwards. The game doesn’t want you to finish 7th in D2 every year. You’re supposed to get promoted and get into Europe etc.

Now of course I could be talking total rubbish as I don’t believe Konami has ever absolutely confirmed it but after playing for many years this is my understanding of what we experience with different game mode difficulties:)).

I didn't find this A.i difference between modes on We9le. Do you have the same feeling,or is just me?
While on Pes5 A.i seems to have more patterns on attacking side while you are on Cup mode (they play a better possession game,they try more often long range shots and all the team positioning Is better) on we9le they keep spamming through ball with no good reason in all modes i tryed.

Globally increasing the Teamwork stat +15 for all players is something I usually do to improve the AI and increase difficulty a bit, it may be placebo but it feels like the teams pass better and make better runs/movement.

PES 5...
First of all, I've said it before but I'll say it again, it is THE best footy game ever made... still. Having said that, I agree the attacking AI can lack a little oomph at times in ML. Interesting if it is different in other modes.

What I do to combat this and to raise the difficulty generally is to curtail my ML team in terms of superstar players. Basically, I don't have any. The teamwork thing, as @BluesyShrimper says, does have an effect as does the annoying fact that you rarely get transfer offers for your own players in ML other than for the defaults when listed.

I have a ML going at the moment with a strict 400 point wage cap. I have started with the defaults and any player who dares to want more than 400 a season for a new contract is out. Likewise, I limit myself to only signing available players (youth and unattached) for a wage of 400 or under. Maximum swayed size: 23.

It's a shame to have to do this but I've found 'house rules' necessary to make just about every PES down the years more compelling / challenging in the long term. The 400 rule above helps break down that team chemistry that builds up even with the defaults.

But I'll say it again, I do a regular flip-flop between all the PS2 era PESes, PES 2010-2015 on the PS3 and some PES4 era PES too, and PES 5 has still got it. It's still the best.

Completely agree @reinelt97, I bounce between all the classic ps2 era titles as well but PES5 and 3 are where I spend a vast majority of my ML playing time, and between those two 5 has the edge when it comes to accurately representing the sport. Nothing matches it.

Also I am the same with the house rules. I am sure a lot of us here are with how long we have been playing these older titles. But for years now I’ve been playing with my team ‘wage’ capped at 10k (keeps squad smaller, makes fatigue/rotation a bigger factor), no big names or players of clear high ability, no newcomers that I know get too good (player development in general is very powerful, so I try to limit younger players in general). No trades (far too easy), and I actually try to sign players that are at clubs around me (higher fees, not great ability and feels realistic). I have not tried individual player wage less than 400 though, that’s a good one.

More recently I’ve been more actively tweaking the tactics as well, setting up game by game depending on opponent, messing around with aggressive counter attack styles in a 3-4-3 or playing a super defensive 5-4-1. Helps to keep it fresh and feel like it breaks up that team spirit I mentioned in previous post too, it can make matches harder and more interesting.

There’s still a lot of life in these classics :))

Back
Top Bottom