The Retro-PES Corner

I just done a search and realised I posted almost the same post in August 2018 :LOL:

Regarding the 'PES 5 verses WE9LE debate'...

Actually maybe I should call it the 'PES5 (PS2) verses PES5 (PC) and WE9LE (PC) debate'...

Personally I prefered PES5 on the PS2 simply because I find it less responsive. When I played PES5 and WE9LE on the PC I felt like I was playing tika-taka all the time because as soon as I pressed the pass button it hmm... passed (obviously) but it was just too quick too responsive. I prefer that very slight delay maybe its 0.00001 second or something but it feels better on the PS2 because it feels like the player has thought about the pass.

I remember having this conversation with Soyo (or Lukasz) and Viktoristus. Two guys that really brought WE9LE to many people's attention on evo-web. I wonder what happened to them.

Someone’s opened up a can of worms now. :D

Here is a good read for anyone interested…

Thread 'From WE9 to WE9LE – 7 month road to "almost" perfection'
https://evoweb.uk/threads/from-we9-to-we9le-–-7-month-road-to-almost-perfection.72023/

Last edited:
I'm not a great fan of WE9LE as well. I mean it's still great as the rest of that gen, but I think physics and whatever change they made that makes things more "fluid" also makes the game easier.. or at least it was for me when I retook it vanilla time ago. I much prefer WE9/PES5/or even WE 9 JL Asia Championship (maybe the best of the bunch thanks to low stats rosters).

I wish so much they ignored the stuff they actually tinkered on WE9LE and focused instead on giving an actual offensive AI to the CPU at least in that "last" chapter lol. I still can't make peace with the fact that the WE9 based games are so good, yet they did nothing with the stupidity of the CPU until the very end.
I fully agree with you. WE9LE's minor tweaks drifted away from PES 5's uncompromising nature. Passing the ball around, or shooting, does not give me the same pleasure I get in PES 5. In WE9LE the ball is sensinsibly heavier, resulting in less varied and more predictable outcomes when the fight rages. With WE9LE, it's like Konami acted on two opposite ways: on one hand it made the player be more "in control" by polishing the game and by making player control smoother, a bit à la PES 6. A heavier ball is easier to control, and this was subsequently brought to the extreme with PES 6, where you can really count just on one fingers hand those rebounds typical of PES 5. On the other hand, Konami made finishing, passing and crossing significantly more sensitive. One could argue that this should have made the game harder, but ultimately this further dimmed the "day or night" electrifying nature of PES 5. I'm not surprised, then, that WE9LE is favoured by PES 6 fans. All of this is evident in online matches. In PES 5, when the defending player wants to make it really hard for the opponent to score, matches really resemble the mid 2000's Serie A. Lots of grinding battles, defenders trying to get in control of the frequent rebounds and kicking the ball away, and also the use of tactical fouls. WE9LE would simply be much more boring: imagine a PES 5 with less rebounds, less fouls and less goals (shooting effectively is indeed harder). WE9LE is a PES 5 with less things happening, which needs longer playing times to have fun and experience a complete soccer match.

For your last inquiry, we're lucky that the ELAF AI tool (for PES 5 and WE9 only!) exists. It really makes the AI much more aware of football's basic goal, that is... scoring! The AI tries to score harder and with an increased offensive awareness. Also, it's more lethal when it has a chance. The ultimate challenge will always be to face humans, but this AI enhancer is well done and it fixes exactly what PES 5 missed. And if anyone wants to play some PES 5 online there's two discord groups to start with, @marqisspes6's Retro PES Club (https://discord.gg/AQnfXhtFb4) and also my EU-based group (https://discord.gg/y9Aj4U6FKK).

Last edited:
So I need some help please..... What is the best PS2 (or even PC port) PES/WE in terms of gameplay? And the same for PS1?

New machine has arrived, so I'm wanting to get the best verson of the PS2 (Or PC Port) of PES/WE, and also the PS1 version.

@geeeeee i don't think that's the PS2 which gives a innapropriate delay to the game : i feel the same when i replayed on PC on both (not PCSX2)
I talk like if your mention that delay like an input lag...
But to me it was more a "time" between two movements, also depending the movement when you observ closer, which maked the game physically more accurate.

The game can be fast it's not a problem to me (well not too much) if it got that kind of physically and others games can be slow without that representation of real life physics. I totally hate those type of games, and you feel it for example in FIFA 16 that's why i got a bit hard with it. The engine is streched to represent that, so you got on every moves the same "delay time" for every movements. Like for PES 2013.

PES 2008 PS2 is more dynamic/a bit faster but got that logical delay every sports games should have, and it's very different to play than PES 5.

I made a little list video of 5 of the best patches for PES 6 on PC. Was a lot of fun to make, I wonder if you guys agree or disagree with my choices & if you would swap any of these patches out for another. There's so many available, I mean no disrespect if I left any out, but I may make more videos like this looking at other patches!

I made a quick video of the possible dribbling bug I am encountering. I'm pressing the exact same buttons for both players, yet they turn very differently.

It may have something to do with the stats, but interestingly Scholes and Silvestre have similar stats regarding dribbling yet they dribble very differently as you can see in the video. I have looked at other statistics but can't figure out what may be causing the difference. It just seems odd that every second touch results in a sharper turn with Scholes. It almost looks like the dribbling animation is being reset with every 2nd touch while sprinting.

In PES2008 when editing a player there are 4 different types of dribble to assign. Is it not related to the animation of the video?

I also like PES 2008 on PS2. I wonder why it does not have any own section in editing forum here like the other titles (PES 4, 2009 and so on are all in older titles)?
I have seen there are projects like 2021 22 season iso and classic Laziale OF, and IIRC some updated PES Fan Editor was released for this game recently but without own section for this game this great work could easily be overlooked.

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐View attachment 194330⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Christmas! Here is a gift for all of you. :)

J.League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship - originally released as a Sony PlayStation 2 exclusive in Japan on 21st August 2008. This particular title marks the end of the primary focus of the PS2 as the main console release for the Winning Eleven and Pro Evolution Soccer series as the games had now fully moved on to the next generation platforms at the time - PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. Whilst PES and Winning Eleven titles were still made yearly up until 2014 for the PS2 the quality sadly dropped off as the main development teams focus shifted to the newer more powerful consoles.

Alongside PES 2008/WE 2008 which was released earlier that year, JLWE2008CC is considered one of the finest releases in the critically acclaimed series mainly due to its improvements to the AI systems for both offense and defence. Taking the more action orientated approach seen in PES 6 but further fine tuning it by improving the games tempo, ball physics, fouls and AI as mentioned, these particular games offer some of the highest level of replayability and longevity. JLWE2008CC also offers the bonus of 6 star difficulty not see in the international PES 2008 release as well as slightly updated rosters.

I have fully translated all the text strings within the game using an earlier translation patch by the great Fernando (v1.5). As I said with the previous translation for J.League 2007, this was done with the use of computational translation software - mainly deepl.com and Google Translate so expect some errors here and there. There may be some sentences that do not make grammatical or contextual sense, and in some instances text may appear outside of their respective boxes due to word count and text size not being fully observed due to translating from Japanese to English, but for the most part you will be able to understand and read the text fine.

I also received some help from option file creator Adrian Ferrari who has made all the unlicensed kits for the Premier League, La Liga and others which is included in the zip file of this release along with a widescreen patch for use with a PS2 emulator such as PCSX2.

Patch Details:

• Fully translated from Japanese to English - all menus, modes, club names and players. Huge thanks to @Hawke who helped convert the main menu texture for me!
  • High LOD fix applied via hex edit to the SLPM file.
  • New wider camera applied via hex edit to the SLPM file. All cameras now offer a more zoomed out image slightly similar to PC patches.
  • New scoreboard.
  • New blue power bar.
  • Removed ball cursor.
  • New selection of footballs.
  • New positional plate texture.
  • New adboards.
  • New menu sounds.
  • New entrance music.
  • New font.
  • New Adidas boot pack - more of a hackjob due to Konami's limitations post PES 6 but better than nothing!
  • New licensed referee kits.
  • New licensed goalkeeper gloves applied to all teams.
  • Competition and League logos.
  • Banners for all J.League and some Serie A teams.
Download Link:

https://sharemods.com/iwdqe9dgjbde/J.League_Winning_Eleven_2008_Club_Championship.7z.html

I would like to thank @fernando for his translation that was used as a base, @marqisspes6 for his tools, help and support, @vialli82 @geeeeee @Lucian0 for reminding everyone how great PES 2008 and JLWE2008CC were and @Hawke for his help with the main menu.

Please download the latest nightly build of PCSX2 from here:

https://pcsx2.net/downloads/#nightly-anchor - Select the QT AVX2 release for Windows 10/11.

Ensure you apply the included Widescreen Patch to the appropriate folder in PCSX2 (I believe its cheats_ws and ensure 16:9 aspect ratio as well as cheats and widescreen patches are enabled in the emulator settings). You will know the widescreen patch has been applied properly as you will see a popup in the top left corner saying 'widescreen patches enabled'. Without this you will end up playing the game in stretched 16:9 and this causes the game to play at a higher speed than normal. Also ensure Optimal Frame Pacing is turned on to reduce any input latency.

To import save file data and option files to your virtual PCSX2 memory card please download MyMc from here:

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca:11068/mymc/
Hello guys, do you have any idea why players on edge of the screen disappear before they should?

Hard to explain but you definitely see it here
Thanks

Hello guys, do you have any idea why players on edge of the screen disappear before they should?

Hard to explain but you definitely see it here
Thanks

Are you using the widescreen patch I provided in the zip? It was built with the wider camera I hex edited into the SLPM file in mind. If you are using a different widescreen .pnach file then it wont be compatible.

In PES2008 when editing a player there are 4 different types of dribble to assign. Is it not related to the animation of the video?
I wondered the same thing, but both players in the video have the same dribbling type. I think it's to do with either attack, balance, dribble accuracy/speed, stability, weak foot stats or some combination of these, but I would have to test to be sure.

I wondered the same thing, but both players in the video have the same dribbling type. I think it's to do with either attack, balance, dribble accuracy/speed, stability, weak foot stats or some combination of these, but I would have to test to be sure.
I have often noticed this particularity in dribbling. It's quite annoying that it's something random since several times it cancels the timing that the play had or makes it collide with the defender. I always thought there was something wrong with my joystick or fingers when using the D-pad. :CONF:

It's quite annoying that it's something random since several times it cancels the timing that the play had or makes it collide with the defender.
It can be quite awkward, that's for sure. There are different types of randomness, which I've found isn't so random and actually follows a set pattern. On some players, only their first diagonal touch while sprinting will be bad and every turn after the first will be fine for as long as sprint is held. Once you let go of sprint it resets though, and the next turn you make while sprinting will be bad again. On other players, the first touch will be a bad one, second normal, third bad and so on. Then on other players, whether they have a bad touch or not will change depending on whether you are turning to the left or right.

Interestingly, this was first introduced in Winning Eleven 10 Liveware Evolution, but by PES2009/WE2009 it was back to normal. So I think the only versions to have this dribbling randomness were WE10LE, PES2008, WE2008 and JL2008 (haven't tested this last one yet though).

I read that Oliver Kahn refused to be licenced in PES6-2008 cuz he was called Kalm in the German NT squad on WE9/ PES5, since it was unlicensed.

But why they decided to drop him from Bayern Munich squad on PES 6-2008, they could used the same name in the German NT " Huber, and kept him in the Bayern squad.

I remember they did it on PES 3, where players from unlicensed NT had the same names in their clubs

Hey guys, I know PES 2017 isn't exactly retro, but I'd like to post this here for the sake of visibility:

I've been looking for an external editor which allows editing licensed kits. The kits from PES 2017 smoke patch can't be edited (and 3rd and 4th kits can't be added), and I've heard that there's an editor where you tick a box and this unlicenses the teams so that their kits can be edited. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I know PES 2017 isn't exactly retro, but I'd like to post this here for the sake of visibility:

I've been looking for an external editor which allows editing licensed kits. The kits from PES 2017 smoke patch can't be edited (and 3rd and 4th kits can't be added), and I've heard that there's an editor where you tick a box and this unlicenses the teams so that their kits can be edited. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.
https://evoweb.uk/threads/pc-kit-studio-2017-v1-2-2-unicolor-and-kitconfig-editor.76677/

Do you know if it works with PESEdit 4.2 patch?
Sorry for the necro but I have been searching for about an hour for this 4.2 patch you mentioned. The only one I could find that wasn't from a sketchy site was the 2.2 and 2.2.1 PESEdit.

Could you please tell me if I am missing something?

Sorry for the necro but I have been searching for about an hour for this 4.2 patch you mentioned. The only one I could find that wasn't from a sketchy site was the 2.2 and 2.2.1 PESEdit.

Could you please tell me if I am missing something?
I really don't remember where I got it from. It might be PESEdit patch 4.0 with 4.01 fix (typo).

EDIT: This should work, although you should probably have 2.2 and 2.2.1 backed up just in case. :TU:

Last edited:
I made a little list video of 5 of the best patches for PES 6 on PC. Was a lot of fun to make, I wonder if you guys agree or disagree with my choices & if you would swap any of these patches out for another. There's so many available, I mean no disrespect if I left any out, but I may make more videos like this looking at other patches!

Thanks for this tribute. I really appreciate it, especially as a fan of your youtube channel :BEER:

Hello @vialli82 !

Some time ago we talked about pes 2011, and I just played some matches months later.

I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of commands and especially the joypad's response to them.
The ball physics is extremely credible, referee too.
There's lot of midfield battle, goal chances to be built patiently, in short, quite a few positive elements.

On the other hand, I don't like the running of the players and the handling of the ball, which has a strange elastic effect. I also need to learn more about individual playing styles, tactics and more.

Do you have anything to tell me (you, but anyone else who knows this game in depth), regarding the topics I mentioned or the care of the database? I'm playing pesedit 2.2 for the 2010/2011 season.

Last edited:

Thanks so much for the great video, offering tribute on the best PES 6 patches !!! Like your "History of PES" documentary videos, feels so refreshing and authentic.

PES 6 is without a doubt the most beloved, exploited PES ever in terms of recreating those all time patches and could be considered the most modded football video game of all time. Without exaggeration, PES 6 expands so vastly that in the end encapsulates the entire football history on EvoWeb editing forums, starting with the inception in the 1930 until the actual 2023 period, generating such high polish and ambition with the purpose in mind to recreate so unique, distinctive and legendary flavors to those specific decades/seasons/competitions.

I don't have the words to describe how deep was expanding the PES 6 editing community during those last years: sharing data, helping each other to increase the quality on their patches, or even offering some small moments like motivational words to reach those high standards. For us that are consuming PES 6 patches, this place is just pure heaven on earth. We're so lucky to experience EvoWeb, in a place where we can enjoy freely all those unique and diverse PES digital art forms...

From the multitude of PES 6 patches I'd also like to share my best favorites, that definitely can take the top spot as the most enjoyed PES 6 patches ever:

1) PES 6 Original Season Patch by @Fabri55 (PES 5 Original Season Patch feels like its twin, equal as good)
2) PES 6 2002-03 Season by @Dreamfinder + PES 6 2003-04 Season by @Belgium86
3) PES 6 Shah Ruud Deen FIFA World Cup & UEFA Euro Editions (all mini patches between 1994 - 2016) by @shahruddin3
4) PES 6 Gladiator Patch (Season 2008-09) by @Gladiator Patch
5) PES 6 History of Euro & World Cup 1988-2006 + PES 6 Euro Football '90s, both patches by @duzizou (Chule & Duzizou Team)
6) PES 6 World Cup History 1930-2014 + PES 6 UEFA Champions League Finals 1980-2011, both patches by @Axl81
7) PES 6 FIFA '96 Patch (Season 1995-96) by @Vasovic
8) PES 6 FIFA World Cup '90 by @Willrocker + PES 6 FIFA World Cup '86 & UEFA Euro '92 patches by @adams06
9) PES 6 Phoenix Patches (2011-2014) + PES 6 Firebird Patches (2015-2023), all by @Apostolos + the Firebird Team.
10) PES 6 FIFA '98 Patch (Season 97-98) & FIFA '99 Patch (Season 98-99), both patches by @daffi2

(My Top 10 PES 6 Patches post may be edited and actualized in accordance with the new PES 6 patches released...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom