The Retro-PES Corner

Like @vialli82 , I've rather indulged myself in PS2 PES over the last few weeks. This has all resulted in the following findings...

1. I can't play a retro PES with an up-to-date option file with modern players. I tried PES 2008 (PS2) with the amazing contemporary line up of players as shared by @geeeeee and others but it just doesn't feel right to be up against Kane and co in a retro PES. It HAS to be the OG line ups.

2. PES 3 is bloody good. How does that game look so good? Bare bones for teams and features but still a great game.

3. I have a terrible memory for old PES games. I played them all but have only fleeting memories of Master Leagues gone by, hence my rediscovery of PES 3. I'll be coming back to this for the odd international tournament.

4. The last of the PES 2 era PESes (2009 to 2014) are frustratingly flawed. I have a few of these 'lost' PESes and while they look great and have some amazing features, the frantic nature of the gameplay and ball physics (shooting especially) leads you to the inevitable move back to...

5. ....PES 5. Still the greatest. I've played this game to death and I'll probably be playing forever more at this rate. Original line ups (albeit with a great option file for kits etc), incredible ball physics, player/team individuality, amazing edit mode. It's got it all. Oh and fouls, it has loads of fouls, like proper footy.

Which all leads me to a new Master League. A celebration of all things PES 5, if you will. I've started with PES United with all the very best teams in my division.

I have an idea to keep this one tough (six star difficulty of course) by using only the default players - both the starting squad of Jaric, Dodo and co plus maybe signing some of the regen former defaults who crop up. Has anyone tried similar?

Last edited:
Like @vialli82 , I've rather indulged myself in PS2 PES over the last few weeks. This has all resulted in the following findings...

1. I can't play a retro PES with an up-to-date option file with modern players. I tried PES 2008 (PS2) with the amazing contemporary line up of players as shared by @geeeeee and others but it just doesn't feel right to be up against Kane and co in a retro PES. It HAS to be the OG line ups.

2. PES 3 is bloody good. How does that game look so good? Bare bones for teams and features but still a great game.

3. I have a terrible memory for old PES games. I played them all but have only fleeting memories of Master Leagues gone by, hence my rediscovery of PES 3. I'll be coming back to this for the odd international tournament.

4. The last of the PES 2 era PESes (2009 to 2014) are frustratingly flawed. I have a few of these 'lost' PESes and while they look great and have some amazing features, the frantic nature of the gameplay and ball physics (shooting especially) leaves you too the inevitable move back to...

5. ....PES 5. Still the greatest. I've played this game to death and I'll probably be playing forever more at this rate. Original line ups (albeit with a great option file for kits etc), incredible ball physics, player/team individuality, amazing edit mode. It's got it all. Oh and fouls, it has loads of fouls, like proper footy.

Which all leads me to a new Master League. A celebration of all things PES 5, if you will. I've started with PES United with all the very best teams in my division.

I have an idea to keep this one tough (six star difficulty of course) by using only the default players - both the starting squad of Jaric, Dodo and co plus maybe signing some of the regen former defaults who crop up. Has anyone tried similar?
I haven't tried the default PES 5 team yet but I did an interesting experiment in JLeague Winning Eleven 9 Asia Championship. I took Bucheon SK (in the K-League), and traded for the lowest rated Korean players in the league, so I kinda ended up with a team which resembled the default players in terms of skill (perhaps even less-skilled)! It was a struggle even on 5 stars, but really fun, one that I want to eventually go back to! :) I usually like to custom teams this way with low-rated players as it adds to the challenge and immersion.

I'm currently working on my final 3 patch compilations and improvements/fixes for the following titles:

Winning Eleven 7 International (NTSC-J)
Winning Eleven 9 (NTSC-J) or Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution (NTSC-K)
Winning Eleven 2008 (NTSC-J)

Should hopefully have some updates soon :)

Pretty sure that PES 2008 and 2009 have cool instrumental tracks that I thnk are Konami-made and you can add to edit mode.

My favorite is one called "Ambiguous Tea" 🍵 :LOL: I actually really like it. A smooth and laid back track!

Like @reinelt97 : i'd rather prefers the rosters from that time a billion time than others rosters from 17-18 or 22-23 or even Classic 1992-93.
I don't know, players makes part of the game.

Now, on my PES5 version, i restored the 2005-2006 september roster (some signing before the 15 september...
Well for a full season i prefers to add them. But one thing : i just can't play without transfers done like it was always the case except PES 1 > on PES 2 we restored and exchanged by copying then recopying players.
Like Riquelme > Rivaldo on Barça. then as we couldn't add/remove players, we did what we can't with most important players or youth in Barca (i remember there were too much players on PES2 in comparison to reality lol)

Now, one difference i got is i don't always came back to PES 5 anymore, since i discovered WE2008, JL2008cc (the better), and PES2008 (very good, but a bit too frantic in comparison to the two others)

But PES 3 : i want 2003-04 roster, PES 2008, 07-08 roster and even for current games like PES 2021...

Especially since on console you can't (unfortunately) change or remove a preset face / sometimes it's better a very nicely made more accurate face + hair made with the editor than an old face... We play from a long distance.
Or an outdated preset. Pablo Piatti, he cames back with a face completely not lookalike, like if he was 16 years old and brown hair, when he weared a beard and very dark hair, and his face much more angular lol.

The biggest example : they added BOYATA on Belgium NT. But the last from PES 2016 or 17 when he appeared : i've created him in Bundesliga, with long Dreads and all. They exchanged him with the young version with Eddie Murphy haircut... I was pissed that i coulld've edit him.
Worst that the Argentina player as he was captain of Hertha Berlin and ready to play World Cup.

So my favourite right now is WE2008, but it's just a matter of having the complete package Nations + Clubs + a bit slower gameplay and 6 stars difficulty.

Last edited:
There's a difference between WE 2008 and PES 2008 gameplays ?
We2008 got the 6 stars unlockable and is a let frantic. To me, that's the only real difference between PES 2008 and JL2008 : the overall speed.
And that japanese version seems identical to JL2008CC which is not really super different (like a final evolution) vs PES 2008. The same but just the adequate speed, So on WE2008.

That's the only difference i noticed playing with others Europe teams like i did with PES 2008 on JL2008 and then, WE2008. Rosters are similar through, but often japanese version are slower for a reason i already said (the way japanese play the game... Only that)
In fact PES 2008 doesn't need any debug or correction : the game is good in every department, speed is not excessive neither, but a tiny bit slower is always better to varies your play style.

You may try and see. Also the 6 stars difficulties is super hard lol, on PES 2008 i'm starting to have a bit to easy to do what i want : i need a more agressive AI for more fun. It's weird that that unlockable stuff isn't neither on the european version/PS3 and PS2 but both on WE2008. Simply a (big) stuff they forgot to add i believe.
The Jap version is out after, they could've at least update rosters. I'm searching the release date, one gives february, google gives the same as PES 2008 (not reliable) and here's a thread proving that the game was out months later after PES 2008 : a guy was waiting for the 31 december lol:

https://www.neoseeker.com/forums/36342/t1039892-release-date/

One feature I really like about PES 2009 (not sure if this is available in other editions), is the Team Popularity rating, which changes according to your performance and makes it easier/more difficult to negotiate contracts with other teams. For example, if you are a "C" team negotiating with a "B" team, it is much tougher than if you are negotiating on equal terms, this is quite realistic. :)

⭐⭐⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Winning Eleven 7 International Cover.jpg⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Winning Eleven 7/Pro Evolution Soccer 3 which itself was a major milestone in the series as the game moved to a new game engine and set the course for the series dominance in the football video game market for the next 5 years. Later on February 17th 2004, Winning Eleven 7 International was released as a Sony PlayStation 2 exclusive in Japan. Not to be confused by the North American release which shared the same release date and name (which was in fact just the NTSC-U release of PES 3) the Japanese version of Winning Eleven 7 International is considered by most to be the best version, a final evolution release of sorts with many bugfixes and improvements including for example improved player responsiveness and fluidity and a reduction in handball calls from the ref.

I have taken the original Japanese ISO and together with an assortment of different patches from the likes of Redux, Wendetta and Xpatch/WeFantasy have created a new and improved release of the game for you to all enjoy. :)

Patch Details:
  • Database based on the Redux 3.0 patch including transfers and lineups up to date as of February 2004. The following teams have been replaced - Latvia replaces Hungary, Middlesborough replaces West Ham, VFB Stuttgart replaces PES United and Sampdoria replaces WE United. All stats have been returned back to their original default values as intended by Konami based on the original release. In the event that a team or player was not included in the original version of the game I have used the stats from either PES 4 or PES 5 to keep it as close to the original developers intent as possible.
  • The patch has been applied to all languages in the game - unlike other patches which only worked either in English, Japanese or Italian.
  • *Please note however the following - in game text is available in the following languages - English, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish. In game commentary is only available in the following languages - English, French and Japanese. If you select either German, Italian or Spanish audio you will have English commentary as default (this can be changed in game to either French or Japanese also) but unfortunately German/Italian/Spanish commentary could not be added without it impacting the games stability.
  • All teams have their official kits - including all national, club, classic and all-star teams - imported from Redux, Xpatch and Wendetta patches.
  • High LOD fix applied to the SLPM file.
  • Ball cursor removed.
  • New blue powerbar.
  • Official matchballs - adidas Fevernova and adidas Finale.
  • New adboards.
  • Bootpack imported from a variety of patches.
  • Official referee kits.
  • Official goalkeeper gloves.
  • Chants included for a variety of national and club teams.
  • Player names, country and club names corrected.
  • New scoreboard - imported from Wendetta patch.
  • Added generic last names to referees that were missing one.
  • Uefa Champions League entrance music for matches.
  • Restored PES 3 highlight song.
  • Fixed stadium names and some have new texture files.
  • Additional callnames added e.g. Merseyside Red has been changed to Liverpool etc.
Download Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qw71cbrclfukbh2/Winning_Eleven_7_International.7z/file

I would like to thank the various patch teams for their original work as well as @vialli82 for helping to fix some of the incorrect player names.

Please download the latest nightly build of PCSX2 from here:

https://pcsx2.net/downloads/#nightly-anchor - Select the QT AVX2 release for Windows 10/11.

Ensure you apply the included Widescreen Patch to the appropriate folder in PCSX2 (I believe its cheats_ws and ensure 16:9 aspect ratio as well as cheats and widescreen patches are enabled in the emulator settings). You will know the widescreen patch has been applied properly as you will see a popup in the top left corner saying 'widescreen patches enabled'. Without this you will end up playing the game in stretched 16:9 and this causes the game to play at a higher speed than normal. Also ensure Optimal Frame Pacing is turned on to reduce any input latency.

To import save file data and option files to your virtual PCSX2 memory card please download MyMc from here:

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca:11068/mymc/

Last edited:
⭐⭐⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ View attachment 199234⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Winning Eleven 7/Pro Evolution Soccer 3 which itself was a major milestone in the series as the game moved to a new game engine and set the course for the series dominance in the football video game market for the next 5 years. Later on February 17th 2004, Winning Eleven 7 International was released as a Sony PlayStation 2 exclusive in Japan. Not to be confused by the North American release which shared the same release date and name (which was in fact just the NTSC-U release of PES 3) the Japanese version of Winning Eleven 7 International is considered by most to be the best version, a final evolution release of sorts with many bugfixes and improvements including for example improved player responsiveness and fluidity and a reduction in handball calls from the ref.

I have taken the original Japanese ISO and together with an assortment of different patches from the likes of Redux, Wendetta and Xpatch/WeFantasy have created a new and improved release of the game for you to all enjoy. :)

Patch Details:
  • Database based on the Redux 3.0 patch including transfers and lineups up to date as of February 2004. The following teams have been replaced - Latvia replaces Hungary, Middlesborough replaces West Ham, VFB Stuttgart replaces PES United and Sampdoria replaces WE United. All stats have been returned back to their original default values as intended by Konami based on the original release. In the event that a team or player was not included in the original version of the game I have used the stats from either PES 4 or PES 5 to keep it as close to the original developers intent as possible.
  • The patch has been applied to all languages in the game - unlike other patches which only worked either in English, Japanese or Italian.
  • *Please note however the following - in game text is available in the following languages - English, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish. In game commentary is only available in the following languages - English, French and Japanese. If you select either German, Italian or Spanish audio you will have English commentary as default (this can be changed in game to either French or Japanese also) but unfortunately German/Italian/Spanish commentary could not be added without it impacting the games stability.
  • All teams have their official kits - including all national, club, classic and all-star teams - imported from Redux, Xpatch and Wendetta patches.
  • Ball cursor removed.
  • New blue powerbar.
  • New adboards.
  • Official referee kits.
  • Additional callnames added e.g. Merseyside Red has been changed to Liverpool etc.
Download Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zc48emkn34bq4eg/Winning_Eleven_7_International.7z/file

I would like to thank the various patch teams for their original work as well as @vialli82 for helping to fix some of the incorrect player names.

https://pcsx2.net/downloads/#nightly-anchor - Select the QT AVX2 release for Windows 10/11.

Ensure you apply the included Widescreen Patch to the appropriate folder in PCSX2 (I believe its cheats_ws and ensure 16:9 aspect ratio as well as cheats and widescreen patches are enabled in the emulator settings). You will know the widescreen patch has been applied properly as you will see a popup in the top left corner saying 'widescreen patches enabled'. Without this you will end up playing the game in stretched 16:9 and this causes the game to play at a higher speed than normal. Also ensure Optimal Frame Pacing is turned on to reduce any input latency.

To import save file data and option files to your virtual PCSX2 memory card please download MyMc from here:

That's my afternoon sorted... Thank you so much for doing this. These games bring so much joy.

Patch Details:
  • Ball cursor removed.
  • New blue powerbar.
  • New adboards.
  • Official referee kits.
Download Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zc48emkn34bq4eg/Winning_Eleven_7_International.7z/file

any chance for this beauty on pc version?

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐View attachment 194330⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Christmas! Here is a gift for all of you. :)

J.League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship - originally released as a Sony PlayStation 2 exclusive in Japan on 21st August 2008. This particular title marks the end of the primary focus of the PS2 as the main console release for the Winning Eleven and Pro Evolution Soccer series as the games had now fully moved on to the next generation platforms at the time - PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. Whilst PES and Winning Eleven titles were still made yearly up until 2014 for the PS2 the quality sadly dropped off as the main development teams focus shifted to the newer more powerful consoles.

Alongside PES 2008/WE 2008 which was released earlier that year, JLWE2008CC is considered one of the finest releases in the critically acclaimed series mainly due to its improvements to the AI systems for both offense and defence. Taking the more action orientated approach seen in PES 6 but further fine tuning it by improving the games tempo, ball physics, fouls and AI as mentioned, these particular games offer some of the highest level of replayability and longevity. JLWE2008CC also offers the bonus of 6 star difficulty not see in the international PES 2008 release as well as slightly updated rosters.

I have fully translated all the text strings within the game using an earlier translation patch by the great Fernando (v1.5). As I said with the previous translation for J.League 2007, this was done with the use of computational translation software - mainly deepl.com and Google Translate so expect some errors here and there. There may be some sentences that do not make grammatical or contextual sense, and in some instances text may appear outside of their respective boxes due to word count and text size not being fully observed due to translating from Japanese to English, but for the most part you will be able to understand and read the text fine.

I also received some help from option file creator Adrian Ferrari who has made all the unlicensed kits for the Premier League, La Liga and others which is included in the zip file of this release along with a widescreen patch for use with a PS2 emulator such as PCSX2.

Patch Details:

• Fully translated from Japanese to English - all menus, modes, club names and players. Huge thanks to @Hawke who helped convert the main menu texture for me!
  • High LOD fix applied via hex edit to the SLPM file.
  • New wider camera applied via hex edit to the SLPM file. All cameras now offer a more zoomed out image slightly similar to PC patches.
  • New scoreboard.
  • New blue power bar.
  • Removed ball cursor.
  • New selection of footballs.
  • New positional plate texture.
  • New adboards.
  • New menu sounds.
  • New entrance music.
  • New font.
  • New Adidas boot pack - more of a hackjob due to Konami's limitations post PES 6 but better than nothing!
  • New licensed referee kits.
  • New licensed goalkeeper gloves applied to all teams.
  • Competition and League logos.
  • Banners for all J.League and some Serie A teams.
Download Link:

https://sharemods.com/iwdqe9dgjbde/J.League_Winning_Eleven_2008_Club_Championship.7z.html

I would like to thank @fernando for his translation that was used as a base, @marqisspes6 for his tools, help and support, @vialli82 @geeeeee @Lucian0 for reminding everyone how great PES 2008 and JLWE2008CC were and @Hawke for his help with the main menu.

Just wanted to say big thanks to this. I was able to make this running at AetherSX2 for Android and it is a pure joy to have this experience on phone :)

Patch Details:
  • Ball cursor removed.
  • New blue powerbar.
  • New adboards.
  • Official referee kits.
Download Link:

Fantastic patch ! Thank you so much !

I have a big problem though with this patch, it is impossible to start a cup, everytime i want to start a world cup or an Euro, there is a black screen after selecting the group stage teams. Do you know why ? I'm playing on PCSX2 btw.

I have a big problem though with this patch, it is impossible to start a cup, everytime i want to start a world cup or an Euro, there is a black screen after selecting the group stage teams. Do you know why ? I'm playing on PCSX2 btw.
Thanks for letting me know. I will investigate.

I finally got round to playing this patch last night and wow, I had so much fun!

PES 3 is an amazing game but much like WE9LE, this is the definitive way to play it, too many quality of life improvements makes it harder to go back to PES 3.

I must say, I'm fascinated by the work you did on assets here, it's not to jarring to the original game, the new turfs look great and I can't figure out how you added the jersey sprites to the fans?

One question though, you mention you included two balls, how do we choose the Finale? Only the Fevernova seems to be active in exhibitions?

I finally got round to playing this patch last night and wow, I had so much fun!

PES 3 is an amazing game but much like WE9LE, this is the definitive way to play it, too many quality of life improvements makes it harder to go back to PES 3.

I must say, I'm fascinated by the work you did on assets here, it's not to jarring to the original game, the new turfs look great and I can't figure out how you added the jersey sprites to the fans?

One question though, you mention you included two balls, how do we choose the Finale? Only the Fevernova seems to be active in exhibitions?
Thanks Marlon.

The turf is easy to replace - simply open the stadium base file for each of the conditions - Day-Fine, Night-Fine, Day-Rain, Night-Rain and replace the 4 turf files with new ones. In regards to the jersey sprites to the fans I have no idea to be honest. Perhaps it was already included in the stadium asset files I imported from one of the patches I used.

In regards to the ball choice you have to unlock it from the WE Shop with your points and then it will be available in the menu options before kick off.

I can confirm the error on my end as well. I will have to recheck the ISO files and do some testing. If everyone can not download the game until I have reuploaded a fully working version. Thanks!

Pro:
Simple and balanced, there's not too much speciality about that game. Except the fluid formations, and the PA1 which was like PES 2014 (more freedom, stats still involved)
Now trajectories of shoot are repetitive but you feel the power like in PES 5, and the game is balanced.

Cons
But have a big courage regarding database, it's the worst database of PES/WE history by miles even in big teams. There's tons of 4/4 players (so Nedved, Maldini, doesn't have the ambidextrous power every players would have) + players with 40 everywhere for no reason, and other i won't mention, not interesting : but there's TOO MUCH awful errors. It's not a matter of individuality, also gameplay as those players are everywhere lol. And i don't talk about height, weight, or good foot, no. But conversion from old games errors + new errors coming from nowhere.
It' the Windsor kid's first work.

No idea how to resolve a full database without a big help (even recreate one by yourself with your own standards and limits, and in mass not player by players)

I just warn you @Fabri55 if you attempt a patch for after PES 2014 to +- 2017 / still full of errors especially in AFC and South America / Libertadores leagues.

Now, do as you want mate.
People don't care perhaps to score and pass from any foot without errors, some cares and got annoyed a bit and to me it's totally repulsive to replay more than some exhibition matchs lol.

Thanks again @BillyKong seems we have the same taste :D
I remember that redux patch removed some players. I love Boro more than West Ham but i always prefers PES original. I believe it was already replaced.

Last thing : the difference between WE9le and PES5 is... Placebo-ish to me after trying again and again. But WE7I was a reconciliation with PES3 era, as liked WE7.
But the biggest turnover was WE8/PES4, then WE8LE. The two before, i liked it in the time, but i was strong so it helped lol, but WE8LE was the biggest "final version/corrective" they ever made in PES vs WE history. Fantastic version, reworked from all parts

Like @vialli82 said, the PA1 in PES 2015 was nice, a good combination of stats and controls, kind of like semi passing in FIFA I'd say. Fun to play and balanced. I also liked the ambiance (the rain was really nice in this one, playing a English Second Division match in rainy and grey conditions was cool). I even got used to the more zoomed-in camera. Overall, good and enjoyable gameplay.

But there's ONE thing that really bothers me about this game, I've mentioned it before (here), and that is the very high simulated scores. Whenever I play a Cup or League (ML too), simulated CPU scores are so inflated (7-2, 5-3 scores quite common) regardless of duration, that it really decreases the immersive quality of it. If this was somehow solved, it would make it a very enjoyable experience. It's something that breaks the game, IMO, :( which is a shame because the on the pitch action is actually quite fun.

I've been looking everywhere for a solution, but it's hard because it might be difficult to find modders who are interested in modding PES 2015, unfortunately. But one can always hope. :)

Pro:
Simple and balanced, there's not too much speciality about that game. Except the fluid formations, and the PA1 which was like PES 2014 (more freedom, stats still involved)
Now trajectories of shoot are repetitive but you feel the power like in PES 5, and the game is balanced.

Cons
But have a big courage regarding database, it's the worst database of PES/WE history by miles even in big teams. There's tons of 4/4 players (so Nedved, Maldini, doesn't have the ambidextrous power every players would have) + players with 40 everywhere for no reason, and other i won't mention, not interesting : but there's TOO MUCH awful errors. It's not a matter of individuality, also gameplay as those players are everywhere lol. And i don't talk about height, weight, or good foot, no. But conversion from old games errors + new errors coming from nowhere.
It' the Windsor kid's first work.

No idea how to resolve a full database without a big help (even recreate one by yourself with your own standards and limits, and in mass not player by players)

I just warn you @Fabri55 if you attempt a patch for after PES 2014 to +- 2017 / still full of errors especially in AFC and South America / Libertadores leagues.

Now, do as you want mate.
People don't care perhaps to score and pass from any foot without errors, some cares and got annoyed a bit and to me it's totally repulsive to replay more than some exhibition matchs lol.
Thank you for this accurate feedback. It's what I needed.

If a game has gross errors I tend to uninstall it right away.
I'm looking for a ps3 or ps4 pes era that has accuracy and ensures longevity. At the time I bought them all, but I've always played them for a short time, and who knows if any of them don't deserve a new chance?

@Fabri55 if you do play PES 2015 long term, please let us know if you get the "high simulated scores" issue. :) I just read in operation sports forum that some players experience it, while others don't.. strange.

Back
Top Bottom