The Retro-PES Corner

Apologize for the double-post but this gets weirder. On non-PS2/PSP PES2014 Savvidis appears as a...156cm-60 kg combo footballer...?
https://www.pesmaster.com/savvidis/pes-2014/player/59820/#:~:text=Savvidis is a 18-year,in Pro Evolution Soccer 2014.
Did Konami introduce PAOK's owner as a footballer for some reason?

Hahahahahah this is indeed Kyriakos Savvidis with wrong height/weight, something typical for PAOK PES research of 2012-2014.

Vukic on the screenshot. Man, what a player.

I just loved this.

Ivanov may be the golden boy but we still remember, Merosi. We still remember.
I didn't grow with PES until the PS2 era but I'm a little envious I wasn't a football fan during the 90's and lived through the evolution of football gameplay first hand from isometric 2D, to crude 3D of early protype style football games to this.

The drama in this clip alone encapsulates exactly what PES would come to be known for, That feeling that you never experience the same thing twice and that was accomplished all along on the PS1. Well and truly ahead of it's time.

So here we go guys. Part one of the unboxing...

at first glance I’ve already noticed some nice little details. I will have a more detailed look the coming days. :D

part two is uploading while I’m typing this! it’s not for dramatic reasons it’s because of the upload limit. ;)

edit:
Part two:

all felt a bit like Christmas morning. :D

Last edited:
@PRO_TOO: This is all I can say: :...:...
----

Another part of the PES5 Wonderkids series: this time, the most promising centre-midfielders in the game.
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2020/11/03/the-pes5-wonderkids-part-5-centre-midfielders/

Writing this series is making me want to start a PES5 ML and build a team comprised of some of these wonderkids...
----

After years of trying I still haven't won the International Cup with Latvia's national team on PES5. But hold on to your seats...
This time, my group is France, Japan and Colombia. Impossible stuff, as usual. First match, vs. Zidane and Henry's France.
k0qWcZf.jpg

Held on to the 0-0 heroically, and on the very last play of the match, a hopeless long ball to Vejavusiwaniks finds Latvia's superstar and we score. The game ends 0-1, Latvia declared a national holiday next day, and the football world is shocked.

Next, vs. Japan, who also had won their first match against Colombia. Once again, we defend fantastically and barely threaten their goal. Yet we'd have a taste of our own medicine alright. Ten minutes before the end of the match, usually I'd sub off one of our most talented players, our LMF Rutsnos, for a sideback. But I felt we could actually win this, so I instead I sub in a very crappy player, Blonkov (here's the guy) just because he's the kind of guy who could give some energy to our depleted left side, thanks to his speed. Minutes later we have a throw in on the left side in Japan's own midfield and Blonkov throws it, tries to connect with our midfielder Ladeowas but probably because of the former's lack of Teamwork, pass accuracy and overall lack of skill, we end up losing the ball, thus allowing Japan their only dangerous counter-attack of the match, exposing our defense for the first time. Our defense is so slow that my LB has to commit a foul on the edge of the area before Japan's striker got into a dangerous position to score.
Now, who takes the free kick? The one and only...Nakamura. I pray to all the gods but it doesn't matter: he scores the 0-1 wonderfully and we lose the game. This is why I love PES5. The game is so footballingly complex that a mere otherwise insignificant tweak might wreck havoc on the whole story of the match. Choosing between giving 10 minutes of play to Latvia's reserve sideback or to the 7th or 8th choice for the striker role is a life or death choice. This says it all.

qQbPE3k.jpg

The final group match was against Colombia. Japan had 6 points, France and Latvia have 3, Colombia 0. I was sure France would win against Japan, forcing us to win our match as well. On the only decent scoring opportunity, we get a goal still on the first half, 1-0, thanks to Kylies. We hold on to that lead and as the match ends, I wait to see my players' reaction. They celebrate; the Spanish commentators go wild, as Latvia...qualifies for the Round of 16!!!

IxBMWsl.jpg

0u1GTA6.jpg

So here we go guys. Part one of the unboxing...

at first glance I’ve already noticed some nice little details. I will have a more detailed look the coming days. :D

part two is uploading while I’m typing this! it’s not for dramatic reasons it’s because of the upload limit. ;)

edit:
Part two:

all felt a bit like Christmas morning. :D

Nice one! How are you going to play? PC emulator? Modded PS2/3?

But wait, there's more. The Round of 16:

n3xa7oK.jpg

The match against Netherlands was a pain. They destroyed our defense completely, but thankfully, on the few clear cut chances they had, they just couldn't score. I call it not the legendary CPU cheating, but Human Cheating. On the first half, our chances are completely culled as our best player, coincidentally one of the few decent footballers we have, his real name Verpakovskis, is injured and has to come off. Prihoroukes, whoever he might be, replaces him. Anyway, still 0-0, Latvia can't even get close to Netherlands' own box, with little more than 30% ball possession, the game ends 0-0: to extra time we go.
About five minutes in, the impossible happens. Our LB gets the ball on our own half, dribbles past a couple of players, starting a potent counterattack. Only Prihoroukes believes in him, and runs to the box to receive a cross. This happens:

The man who replaced the injured Verpakovskis scores the 1-0!!! I defend the lead with every energy we still had and manage to win it.

4WCH2Fh.jpg

Latvia in the Quarterfinals, unbelievable stuff. Now, against Italy, another impossible mission. Verpakovskis is still injured, hero Prihoroukes starts of course. The players are all beyond tired. But as I've grown used to with PES5 Latvia, nothing is quite impossible. We get a free kick early on in the match: the ball is passed short to a Kylies on a down arrow. Imagine this tank of a player on a down arrow. Anyway, here's what happens as the one and only Nesta tries to neutralize him...

1-0 for Latvia!!! We hang on until the final 10 minutes of the match and then we actually score the 2-0 through a corner, as striker Ridazis headers it home. Italy would score the 2-1 on a wonderful Pirlo freekick but...we win it, 2-1!!!

BOVT4Ch.jpg

Now the semifinals will be against Denmark, as Brazil faces...Ireland. Latvia's heroic journey continues...

@miguelfcp

Thanks for activating my PTSD again, takes me back to 2002 when Peak Latvia beaten Poland in EURO 2004 qualifiers. I was only starting to watch football games was like 9 years old but after this I had to go to library and get a map to find where Latvia is coz it just didn't seem to be real.

Oh god it was real. Man I was screaming. I remember that one goal. I remember the sheer humiliation.

So yeah good luck but at the same time I just want to see Latvia burn, sorry 🐑

This takes me back and is a welcome distraction for my mental health watching election coverage over here.

The ISS/ISS2 games were just so much fun and I used to get lost in them. Another excellent title was MLS ExtraTime, which used the same ISS/ISS2 engine, but skinned to reflect MLS, which was less than 5 years old at the time. For whatever reason, they comically overexaggerated player ratings for all MLS players, so MLS teams were on par with or better than national teams of that era, but the games were super competitive and tight. I think MLS GameNight was the first PS2 version of ISS, coming a year or so later.

This takes me back and is a welcome distraction for my mental health watching election coverage over here.

The ISS/ISS2 games were just so much fun and I used to get lost in them. Another excellent title was MLS ExtraTime, which used the same ISS/ISS2 engine, but skinned to reflect MLS, which was less than 5 years old at the time. For whatever reason, they comically overexaggerated player ratings for all MLS players, so MLS teams were on par with or better than national teams of that era, but the games were super competitive and tight. I think MLS GameNight was the first PS2 version of ISS, coming a year or so later.

Shout out to the positive effect of gaming on mood. Especially something as innocent as PES. If I didn't have the collecting, playing and discussion of these games over the past few months I'd definitely be in a lesser place than I am now.

ExtraTime and GameNight are gloriously American! As much as you'd want them to be, especially the commentary. GameNight is a very interesting one as - AFAIK - it's the only game featuring that engine but on the PS2. And - AFAIK - it's the only game of the KCET variety that has scenarios!

If I remember correctly, one or both of those games has national sides with entirely fake players. Or maybe it's ExtraTime that has fake player names and ExtraTime the fake players. I'm just rambling here. Anyway, I think I know what I'm playing tonight!

It’s just for the sake of collecting. I don’t own a PS2 anymore.
the condition of the games is flawless. the booklets feel so quality.

Aw, man - go out there and buy! PC emulator even? I'd thoroughly recommend jailbreaking a PS3 as that'll get you PS1, 2 and 3 games on the go, and you can just use the ISO files. I wouldn't have understood any of that paragraph six months ago, but boy am I glad I do now. Still don't understand what's onside and what's not regarding forum rules. Redact away, mods!

But I love the collecting. I'm not sure if it's just the culture but the condition of the Asian games I've bought is impossibly good. Discs scratch-free, booklets in pristine condition and often with receipts included, too. It's a nice window into a different world.

@Flipper the Priest If I recall correctly, the national teams had real players, just with fake names. I may be wrong but probably a mix of World Cup 98 and Euro 2000 squads. There definitely was a "Rumaldo-Rotilio" or something forward tandem for Brazil :)

Does anyone have a Gameplay Tool by Jenkey1002 for PES 2011? Searched the whole internet but all links are dead.

4.png

You've probably already found this but I found a link here that seems to still be live, the filesonic one, it goes to a page with a download button. Whether it's safe to click it I have no idea as it's not showing any address it's linking to when you hover over it so it's up to you if you want to click it. https://www.pespatchs.com/2011/07/pes-2011-gameplay-tool-gameplay-patch-v0-8-5-by-jenkey1002.html

Semfinals vs. Denmark: for a team who had just beaten Netherlands and Italy, I thought the match would be easier than it turned out to be. Offensively, as usual, we didn't exist at all, yet our usual solid defense was destroyed on all areas. Fortunately, the gods of football were on our side. We get a penalty and score on our only shot on goal of the first half; only to see Tomasson tie it on the second. Completely tired, we manage to heroically hold on to the 0-0 until PK time, where Kohebinko the GK saves two penalties and carries Latvia to the World Cup - ahem, the International Cup - final!!!

LlbXNVk.jpg

As expected, Brazil wins their match against Ireland, so we have a Latvia-Brazil game to find out who gets the trophy. Also as expected, we barely exist during the whole match, though Verpakovskis had a one-on-one with Dida early on and missed. If anyone had to beat us, it had to be THE retro-PES classic: Adriano scores the first still in the first half. Then, he scores the second and...the third. Prihoroukes manages to score our lonely goal of the game but it was done: 3-1 and Brazil wins it.

ubIWZx2.jpg

This was the farthest I've ever taken Latvia both on my PES4 and PES5-fueled adventures. But more than a decade later I have yet to complete this challenge.
----
Now, the man on my profile pic was so impressed with Latvia's performances that he offered me the job as a manager of China's National Team - an even weaker team than this Latvia side. I had an interesting idea to reproduce a kind of qualifying stage scenario: I will use all the six Asian nations present in PES5 and create a league with them, controlling China: the teams that finish top-3 will be the Asian teams selected to participate in an International Cup. I have been told that if China doesn't qualify for the International Cup, my Social Credit score will be severely culled. Every goal conceded will prompt a -5 deduction; either we hold it together or I won't be able to enter the supermarket to buy groceries in a few weeks. So please send me your positive energy - no, please don't pray for me or it'll provoke a -666 reduction!!! - and I'll finish this post by saying that, obviously, I have just arrived on that which is simultaneously the greatest Nation and the greatest footballing powerhouse of the World, China. (+10)

There's International Challenge Mode in PES 6 and for the life of me I can never understand why are there no Asian qualifiers. There's only 5 Asian teams? Well there's 6 CONCACAF teams and they still made a qualifiers for them. What the hell conamee 🐑

Happy to see Adriano did his job, happy to hear I can live in peace. Latvia is evil!!! :D China I can live with. Led by Sun Jihai I assume?

Makes me wanna try a tourney like this on PES 5 tbh.

@Saint Angelo: I'm glad you mention Sun Jihai; after I read your post I checked China's squad and the guy wasn't there. Turns out he is still in the database somewhere, so I registered him before my league started. Now I can say the team is definitely led by him, yes, alongside Lie Tie. The rest of the squad besides those two is very, very poor. There's the Chinese Minanda, this defensive rock and little else worth mentioning.

---
Because there are so many promising wonderkids in PES5, I had to divide the following episode of my PES5 Wonderkids series in half. Here's the first one with four wonderkids, including the story of Francia, who I had always known as a fantastic prospect in PES5 but wasn't at all aware of how his real self turned out.

https://liberomagazine.wordpress.com/2020/11/07/the-pes5-wonderkids-part-6-side-midfielders-1-2/

Back
Top Bottom