The Retro-PES Corner

Halfway through the first season and it's @rockstrongo 's Hammarby that sit atop the table and he'll be pleased to see Malmo below them. @Flipper the Priest 's Aberdeen sit in a healthy third particularly after losing the first two games of the season without scoring as well. He'll be equally pleased to see Rangers bottom of the pile. So am I, as that means I'm at least above someone.

Scoring has been difficult, our two goals coming in two 1-0 wins against Rangers and Malmo, the first two games of the season as well, meaning we've managed just a point from the last five games.

With a squad of just 18, generally low stamina across the board and with three CM's on the bench options have been limited during games to change things up. Often I've decided to leave the 11 on the pitch just so as to have some fresh players for the next game. I could have done without getting through the first round of the cup really as that means more games to come and less stamina to play them with.

I've adopted @geeeeee 's house rules of only being able to sign from team's ranked below you in the club ranking list or free agents. As nobody is currently below my 72nd position then free agents it is. The other rule of his is that if a team ranked above you comes in for your player then you have to sell them. I think it's unlikely anyone will be in for my players any time soon though!

I've managed to pick up three free agents, a CF, a WG/AM who can also play up front as well and a DM/CM. None world beaters as you'd expect but all three who will come straight into the line up even though the teamwork may take an initial hit of course until they bed in.

My new striker Mabika is just 16. His general stats are where you'd expect them to be but he has ATT of 76 and Shot Acc of 81 so if I can get him in position then he might just get amongst the goals. With speed of 74 he's no slouch either. Technique of 40 and dribbling of 45 won't see him waltzing through three players and tucking it home but if he can get some space he should be getting it on target more often than not.

Baica, the AM come winger/striker has no real standout stats but plenty of 60's and 70's in the right places and an upgrade on what I have. An 18yr old Romanian, he has plenty of time to improve. Decent teamwork and mentality will be useful as well.

Azhil is the DM/CM, a Moroccan free agent, who will give us a bit more bite in midfield, pretty quick and agile.

View attachment 63976
That's a lovely table Matt:)
Pretty tough with such a small squad right?
Think I have 20 players in my Zaragoza squad,feels like half of my squad is either drained or out of form almost every game,leaving you with 7-9 players being in shape for each game.

@rockstrongo Thought you'd like it! Hammarby was probably the toughest match as well from the first half of fixtures, a 2-0 defeat in that one. Yeah once the run with the two first round of the cup legs came in most of the side was drained to some extent or other. Plus I had about four minor injuries during the first half of the season, two at one time meaning I only had 16 players fit for that particular game. Not sure how I went through in the cup. I sneaked a 1-0 win away in the first leg against HJK and then got hammered 0-0 at home in the second! They hit the bar, the post, missed chances, they did everything but put the ball in the net.

@rockstrongo Thought you'd like it! Hammarby was probably the toughest match as well from the first half of fixtures, a 2-0 defeat in that one. Yeah once the run with the two first round of the cup legs came in most of the side was drained to some extent or other. Plus I had about four minor injuries during the first half of the season, two at one time meaning I only had 16 players fit for that particular game. Not sure how I went through in the cup. I sneaked a 1-0 win away in the first leg against HJK and then got hammered 0-0 at home in the second! They hit the bar, the post, missed chances, they did everything but put the ball in the net.
Sounds like a rough couple games Vs HJK.
Nice to go through though,and that the storyline was in your favour.
Modern games would have been HJK 2 shot in goal but won it by 3-0,all goals in the 90th minute.

@miguelfcp pardon me, I read all the article and you covered almost all Dagaka's career.

As for some players, like Heitinga for example, I tend to recreate them in the most modern PES games, as they retired too soon, in my opinion Ofcourse.

Although this and how you wrote in your article about 20years career, I think it varies in many factors in our days, since players are pressured to play like professional since early adulthood, most of them even from 15s-16s. I don't believe many people can stand this pressure, that's why we have Deisler example.

Of course there are exceptions like Joaquin who is 39 and stays in good shape, or Kompany who became a manager in 34, while Vanden Borre signed again and supposed to still playing football for Anderlecht.

Alright guys, ive created a simulation league on Pes 6 with a bunch of mates, basically we picked the side with an overall player restriction, your best player being your avatar.

We have weekly games, (league of ten) where you pick the tactics, formation, attacking mentality etc and strategies for your side then the games play out CPU Vs CPU. As Pes 6 was one of the best football simulations the games can be really good. They are recorded then uploaded to YouTube, so you can see how your team got on.

Half way through season 1 but looking for more players.

Have an official discord page for it. So if you're interested hit me up and Incan give you invite to it, to check it out. See what you think 👍

Halfway through the first season and it's @rockstrongo 's Hammarby that sit atop the table and he'll be pleased to see Malmo below them. @Flipper the Priest 's Aberdeen sit in a healthy third particularly after losing the first two games of the season without scoring as well. He'll be equally pleased to see Rangers bottom of the pile. So am I, as that means I'm at least above someone.

Scoring has been difficult, our two goals coming in two 1-0 wins against Rangers and Malmo, the first two games of the season as well, meaning we've managed just a point from the last five games.

With a squad of just 18, generally low stamina across the board and with three CM's on the bench options have been limited during games to change things up. Often I've decided to leave the 11 on the pitch just so as to have some fresh players for the next game. I could have done without getting through the first round of the cup really as that means more games to come and less stamina to play them with.

I've adopted @geeeeee 's house rules of only being able to sign from team's ranked below you in the club ranking list or free agents. As nobody is currently below my 72nd position then free agents it is. The other rule of his is that if a team ranked above you comes in for your player then you have to sell them. I think it's unlikely anyone will be in for my players any time soon though!

I've managed to pick up three free agents, a CF, a WG/AM who can also play up front as well and a DM/CM. None world beaters as you'd expect but all three who will come straight into the line up even though the teamwork may take an initial hit of course until they bed in.

My new striker Mabika is just 16. His general stats are where you'd expect them to be but he has ATT of 76 and Shot Acc of 81 so if I can get him in position then he might just get amongst the goals. With speed of 74 he's no slouch either. Technique of 40 and dribbling of 45 won't see him waltzing through three players and tucking it home but if he can get some space he should be getting it on target more often than not.

Baica, the AM come winger/striker has no real standout stats but plenty of 60's and 70's in the right places and an upgrade on what I have. An 18yr old Romanian, he has plenty of time to improve. Decent teamwork and mentality will be useful as well.

Azhil is the DM/CM, a Moroccan free agent, who will give us a bit more bite in midfield, pretty quick and agile.

View attachment 63976

Yeah that table makes for decent reading for me. Third place is Aberdeen's signature move.

Alright guys, ive created a simulation league on Pes 6 with a bunch of mates, basically we picked the side with an overall player restriction, your best player being your avatar.

We have weekly games, (league of ten) where you pick the tactics, formation, attacking mentality etc and strategies for your side then the games play out CPU Vs CPU. As Pes 6 was one of the best football simulations the games can be really good. They are recorded then uploaded to YouTube, so you can see how your team got on.

Half way through season 1 but looking for more players.

Have an official discord page for it. So if you're interested hit me up and Incan give you invite to it, to check it out. See what you think 👍

Ironically @mattmid did this with the very option file resurrected for his Master League above! About 18 months ago, maybe? I'm hopeless with time. It was really good and I could be interested in this. I was terrible for getting my team in for the youth league but got a bit more time on my hands these days...

Yeah that table makes for decent reading for me. Third place is Aberdeen's signature move.

Ironically @mattmid did this with the very option file resurrected for his Master League above! About 18 months ago, maybe? I'm hopeless with time. It was really good and I could be interested in this. I was terrible for getting my team in for the youth league but got a bit more time on my hands these days...

Well, the thing is with this, all you really need to do is pick out your side, I have it all planned out on my discord page, it's not very time demanding in all honesty bro.

Nonajole#6033 is my user, if you friend request, I can invite you to the channel 👍

Yeah more or less, I think it finished about this time last year and we started in August. Something like that.

I can't make heads or tails of this feed haha, not sure if people are replying to my post, getting notifications that they are.

If you're interested in the league (anyone ) you need discord, then. Just search for nonajole#6033, then I can invite you in to have a look

I can't make heads or tails of this feed haha, not sure if people are replying to my post, getting notifications that they are.

If you're interested in the league (anyone ) you need discord, then. Just search for nonajole#6033, then I can invite you in to have a look
If people want to join I'm sure they'll DM you or answer here.
If not,they won't.
Best of luck with it

Reactions: Tom
@slamsoze: Honestly the ultimately disappointing wonderkids are much more interesting to write about than, say, a Kompany or a Sergio Ramos. Everyone knows about the latter ones already, whereas I was completely in the dark about what had happened to Dagaka, for example.
----

Time for a PES6 retro-review, a look back ('look back' is not the correct expression, as the game is still very much 'alive') to one of the most important sports games in history.
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.co...ootball-game-a-pro-evolution-soccer-6-review/

Last edited:
Anyone here got a need for a PS2 component cable? I've got a spare one, unused, that my girlfriend (bless her) bought for a second TV when I was so happy with the first one I bought. But she didn't realise only one TV has the inputs...

Totally forgotten about it until now. Too late to return, too niche to sell locally or give to a charity shop - so it's on offer to anyone who can foot the postage!

I just love that game. Although I can't watch any attack without "hi aye... HI AYE" in my head. And that weird Carry On "ooh" the co-commentator comes out with. :?

Time for a PES6 retro-review, a look back ('look back' is not the correct expression, as the game is still very much 'alive') to one of the most important sports games in history.
https://liberomagazine.wordpress.co...ootball-game-a-pro-evolution-soccer-6-review/

Excellent. I expected no less. Certainly agree with the sentiment that while it's not the best PS2 PES it's probably the most important to the series' endurance. What people do with it is incredible and I can't see the PES 6 editing community dying down much sooner than I will!

-----

First 'legacy' PES of the saga. Pro Evolution Soccer is making waves on the PS2 and it's an absolute peach on the PS1, too. Konami's just showing off at this point.

Appreciated it guys, thanks.
On other news, and because we can't help but keep on learning something new about PES each time, I just found out about something that I bet not even our Retro-PES Professor @slamsoze knows about: the Master League of the PSP version of PES6 - actually the first-ever to have the ML on that console - has a third division! But because Konami is...well, Konami, on the other hand, there is no player development (unlike on later PSP PES titles). What a shame...

These days I have been playing ISS Pro 98 and Winning Eleven 3 Final Version, which are very similar versions of the same game. In my opinion this particular game is the father of all modern football video games, not just PES. Yes, I know WE97 had similar controls and gameplay but Konami simply nailed it with Winning Eleven 3 and never looked back. The game is not only still playable and fresh even today, but also extremely enjoyable and satisfying. The key to the gameplay, which FIFA took years to even implement, was X, the pressing button. That particular feature, defender follows the ball when you hold X, was a revolutionary and ingenious idea. The through pass, power bars for shooting and crossing - it's all there in Winning Eleven 3, the father of modern FIFA as well as PES.

Fantastic article as always, Miguel. Pes 6 isn't certainly one of my favourites, but I've came to appreciate it quite a bit with the various global editing options around. Of course the massive importance of the chapter in the general state of things isn't in discussion and you framed it quite well.

I just did a bunch of Pes 6 games with the New World League Soccer retro patch and some stats editing with Alex gameplay, and it plays magnifically. It's so funny that some people insist those games weren't simulations just because they are somewhat dated, while at the same time if you drastically edit some parameter you have a drastically different experience precisely according to it.

s so funny that some people insist those games weren't simulations just because they are somewhat dated, while at the same time if you drastically edit some parameter you have a drastically different experience precisely according to it.

I think that's a real testament to the game engine of the time that any and every tweak to player stats alters the gameplay so noticeably.

I wish the PES5 editor had the csv import option it would be great to be able to import the many PES 6 patch OF's and see how they play out. It would be fascinating to see how that game would look with something like the Amador OF. Unfortunately I've got no desire to edit it player by player via the editor though! I did actually do a couple of teams in PES 3 but it's just to much of an onerous task to do.

I tried to make PES 6 more challenging (and to break monotony a little) by choosing TV camera. I was satisfied by the result and the viewing experience.

I've been changing PES camera angles more frequently than my underwear these days. I really want to get in on the more TV-style cameras because they look great. But as far as playing goes I just can't see past Wide! Hey, I've got the rest of my life to mix it up.

These days I have been playing ISS Pro 98 and Winning Eleven 3 Final Version, which are very similar versions of the same game. In my opinion this particular game is the father of all modern football video games, not just PES. Yes, I know WE97 had similar controls and gameplay but Konami simply nailed it with Winning Eleven 3 and never looked back. The game is not only still playable and fresh even today, but also extremely enjoyable and satisfying. The key to the gameplay, which FIFA took years to even implement, was X, the pressing button. That particular feature, defender follows the ball when you hold X, was a revolutionary and ingenious idea. The through pass, power bars for shooting and crossing - it's all there in Winning Eleven 3, the father of modern FIFA as well as PES.

I think it's a fair comment to say that no single iteration moved the series on as much as ISS Pro 98/WE3. I mean ISS Pro/WE97 are brilliant but they are properly rough around the edges. A year on they smoothed out what was brilliant and added more to it. Ironically one of the things I really wish it had was the Wide camera angle that arrived a year later!

-----

Not sure if anyone has or is thinking about forays into video capture but I bought a cheap ass capture card for PS3 purposes. If you're intrigued by how it comes out in the wash:

NEED 3 MORE GUYS

Hi guys, running a Pes 6 SIM league where we're the coaches, have a full div 1 of 10 human players, setting up a Div 2 with 6 human players, currently have space for 3 more guy's, if you're interested drop me a message.

I had a great game of PES 2013 last night. Why was it so good? It was so bad. Scrappy, bitty, attritional, physical. Barely any football played - it was just a battle. Ended up with my guarding the ball in the corner for the last few virtual minutes, first pumping every throw in and corner won.

As a game it's really growing on me. I've liked it from the word go (first played it only this summer) but it's getting better as I understand it more. In my ML it's now very much my team. I've get my express pace in the four wide positions, my big man/little man combo up front, my Vorlander/Valery-style CB pairing. It's all clicking.

Back
Top Bottom