The Retro-PES Corner

@miguelfcp Thanks. Yes now the dust has settled I can see it as a really good season, it was just so disappointing to lose to the bottom team in the final game to miss out. Had I lost to Ried or Partizani it wouldn't have felt so bad.

I have a feeling it might be a tougher season this time around as I can't see Huylens repeating his 6 goals as his skills fade so I'm not sure who will fill that void at the moment. I was pleased Ordaz ended up with 6 though and he missed an awful lot more so if he can hit some form perhaps he can make 2-3 of those up. I'm toying with moving Ruskin up from LB to SM or even LW. He has pace to burn and as much as I like him I have to admit a lot of goals against us came from crosses getting in down his side, he's just a little bit lightweight sometime defensively. Who to play there instead is a question though. Perhaps Espimas can do a job there with a bit extra body strength than Ruskin has.

No, no buying or selling, strictly ML players only and replace with newgens/regens. As of yet nobody wants to retire though! It was a shame because there was an excellent striker in the newgen list as well! Better than anything I have already, but sadly nobody retired!

Question for you on the 'rules' of the challenge. Do you replace them immediately or can you carry over the replacement, for instance one of your players retires but there's nobody really that you want to get from the newgens, perhaps the best there is in a position you already have well filled. So can you wait until the next window to replace the retired player or do you say, no it must be done now in this window?

@mattmid: I told you to bet on Ordaz! He definitely evolves into a decent striker for the future.
The problem I have with Ruskin is that he often gets on good scoring positions but his shooting is just horrible. He could easily net 3, 4 goals per season for me or even more as he seems to be intelligent enough to find space behind the defense, but he can't even hit the goal, let alone score. Regarding his defense, he was pretty bad for me in my first season but from the second half of the 2nd season on he improved massively, and also became noticeably stronger (he couldn't win a single physical challenge before).

I think we haven't got a name for this challenge yet, have we? I know it's the "Originals challenge with a twist" but we need a trademark name for it. Great that you're doing it too, isn't it addictive? I'm completely hooked right now.
Regarding your question, it's a good one, haven't thought about it. I guess you could save those "picks" for another transfer window. Let's say Huylens retires after the end of season 1, and Iouga retires in season 2; you'd be able to get 2 new players in the pre-season of season 3 - because you haven't replaced Huylens and Iouga yet.

One thing that crossed my mind was whether I'd only be able to pick a player from the same position as the retired player, so having to get a striker when Huylens retired. Ended up dismissing that idea because, like the previous situation, we have to have some freedom when calculating the direction our team will follow without becoming "slaves" of the challenge.

@miguelfcp Yes, it's very addictive. I'm just thinking about a new formation for this season now. I want Minanda to be free but not get isolated defensively but I'd like to go with two wide men, Ruskin and Burchet and pair Ordaz and Hamsun in the middle as I think Hamsun's time is coming as well and he might just be the man to get on the end of crosses as well with Ordaz picking up the knock downs and loose balls. Problem is that leaves Minanda exposed in the middle if it's only a 2 in there. The other problem is too many good DM's. I want to play Jaric in there but Dodo has been super human in there and Stein good as well and then there's Minanda's new role as well! I may apply to play 13 this season, see what the PES FA says. :LOL:

Yes we need an official name. Hmm, Originals Forever? The Eternal Zamenhof? :D

Talking of Zamenhof, with his contract up at the end of this season I'm sorely tempted to offer him a five year deal :LOL: I'd be sad to see him go now.

When does it mention the players retiring? I'm assuming in topics at the beginning of pre season?

I think I might go with the carry over for one season option if there's no suitable newgen. So by the end of the next pre season you must have replaced anyone who retired the previous season. I probably will replace straight away but it's handy to have that rule just in case there's nobody suitable.

@mattmid: That reminds me, I tried out Minanda as a DMF for about 30 game minutes of a D2 cup match. I was basically playing Conte's Juventus system, a 3-5-2 with Pirlo (Minanda) sitting behind two midfield workhorses (Ettori and Stein). I was already in control of that cup round (SPOILERS!) so nothing groundbreaking happened while he was Pirlo-ing around, still it was great to witness his intelligence off-the-ball, always finding the right space in front of our back-3 to receive the ball and then build-up the play. Metz isn't really a team that applies a lot of pressure so I have to try this out against a more aggressive team, but if Minanda doesn't retire I'll have to think about this solution as a more permanent one, given he's struggling to be impactful as an AMF right now.

Honestly, regarding Jaric, he'll be one of your best defenders - if he isn't already. Shame his aerial game is so weak, but in a 3-man defense that weakness doesn't show as often. He's got a 79 defense stat in my save right now, showing no signs of slowing down. Not giving enough space to Dodo or Stein hurt you in the long-term as the first is playing on a fantastic level for you (and also he's young still) and Stein is that workaholic maniac that every team needs.

The Originals Generation?

I think you won't be able to, at least in 2008 and 2009 the aging players often demand shorter contracts. I remember wanting to give Iouga a 5-year contract but the game only allowed me to give a 1-year deal, not-negotiable. In the end he signed that 1-year deal, and after expiring he asked for yet another one-year deal. You might be able to do the same for Zamenhof - also this way you can give him progressively less and less money over the years, which will ruin his DUbai getaways.

Huylens announced me his retirement mid-season (a bit after the winter transfer window), then retired after the second-to-last fixture of the league, right before the D2 Cup final we were playing the next week. What a nutjob.

@miguelfcp Huylens obviously got word he wasn't in the Cup Final squad! Seriously though, retiring before the end of the season. Perhaps Zamenhof had invited him on holiday.

Keep me posted on how Minanda plays there. Jaric is great in defence as you say, I think the height was really the only problem, a couple of times I got out jumped on corners that led to goals. It's ok if it's in Libermann's area but if not it can cause a problem. Perhaps a three is the answer. His defence is 78 in mine as season 3 starts. It just feels a waste to have him at CB when his pass acc is 73, better than most of the team. I think his shooting might be better than Castolo's too :LOL: Hmm, he couldn't could he?

I'll let you know if I can get any longer a contract but all the older one's did ask for 1 year this time so it's probably the same on pes6, I'll check though.

I'm going to be bold and go with an untested 4-3-3 in the first game of the new season which is against relegated side Altach. Ivarov; Giersen, Libermann, Stremer, Ruskin; Jaric, Minanda, Dodo; Burchet, Hamsun, Ordaz
Not that keen on Stremer being in there but I want to give Jaric a run in midfield just to see. I should have done it pre season but oh well.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of just managing them? Or would sitting there watching them be a bit tedious? When I'm playing I hate that they can't do what I'm asking, even basic things like passing the ball more than two yards in the direction I actually pushed.

I think watching the AI managing your team is hard in every PES even if you have XI World Classics.Whenever i did it AI breaks my nerves more than anything as it does the worst and most stupid decisions, like my CF running one on one vs gk and misspassing back to my SB for no reason!

I have to say i am really enjoying this thread. It brings back memories seeing the old ML default names. I changed their names in my OF because i wanted a change but i will change them back.

I am so tempted to start a ML but i want to complete the option file first. Im so looking forward to training up Ordaz, Jaric, and Hamsun etc...And i really want to give the challenge a go of only buying new players once someone retires. Keep the posts coming lads :)

PES3: So I tried that modern 4-3-3 again, this time against Fulham, who games ago kicked me out of D2 Cup. But this time I did a few significant changes:
Vornander at the center of defense, Minanda of course lower in the midfield near Celnini, but with less defensive duties, Macco on the far right as a winger and Njorgo forward. The rest of the formation confirmed as it was (Castolo as a cutting inside left winger, Ostwaut as a pure numer ten).

It went great! I won 1-0, had some good chances but I ended up scoring after a truly great exchange between Celnini, Ostwaut and Castolo, that served Njorgo for the tap in. Unluckily the replays are damn short otherwise I would have loved to share the action. Minanda granted me a more fluid build up as tought, perfectly complementing Celnini's granitic presence.. Njorgo is also a waaay better number nine for this kind of game, he feels stronger and more "present" than Barota, he can better endure being the only true forward: he perfectly interpreted my orders (back arrow) to fight also outside the area for loose balls.
To conclude the evaluation, Vornander is too strong both in physical duels and headers to leave him out.

I decided I'll leave Chiesa on the bench for now. Too many funnier options with the legendary guys. I'm also third in D2 with 8 points as of now, I doubt I'll be capable to run for promotion on the first year with only defaults, but trying can't hurt, right?

p.s. if I may suggest a real life comparison with a Minanda midfielder, he would be the perfect copy carbon of the 34 years old Roberto Mancini in Lazio 98-99, who closed by Salas and Vieri as forwards, was placed by mr. Eriksson as a central midfielder, lacking pace but granting high quality and vision around the field.

Does anyone remember in ISS when you won a cup your players did a lap of honour and it went through every player?
That would be great in PES again. I'd like to see some kind of tribute to the ML players.

Yes! I truly loved those little gems of that era. I don't remember if it was Iss pro, WE4 or Iss pro 2, but in one of those after winning the World Cup I believe (too many years passed by), there was a special celebration followed by some inspired words about how football can connect us all.. winning and seeing this stuff for the first time felt like a real, special achievement back then.

That's a shame they took that out of the game. It's part of what makes PES special, all the player reactions and so on. Nothing like seeing your striker miss a diving header and as he lands on the turf and realises it's missed he thumps the turf. Even the little pushing and shoving close up in a niggly game when the pressure is on. All adds to the immersion. I always laugh at the player who gets tackled and thinks it's a foul and sits on the floor gesticulating at the ref.

Does anyone remember in ISS when you won a cup your players did a lap of honour and it went through every player?
That would be great in PES again. I'd like to see some kind of tribute to the ML players.
As i was still a child back then,more accurate at my early adulthood i used to play ISS and PES for two reasons :1)To watch a celebration ceremony when i won a World Cup/Euro Cup 2)Master League.
As i watched many of them and liked to notice details i can confirm you that the most complete ceremony after a competition win was in PES 3, where every player of starting 11 was passing to receive his medal and after this captain taking the trophy and making the glory lap with every player from the squad even the 2nd and 3rd goalkeeper.Some players also if i recall correct had taken out their upper kit and were only with the white undershirt.Next year in PES 4 they added only the detail that when you won a cup with a National team some players had their flag as a cape.But the burgain started as we watched only 2-3 players in the beginning taking medals and then skipping to cup ceremony. So pes after pes they starting removing more scenes and we had only the trophy scene without medals untill PES 2011 and after where non-licenced competitions had a celebration ceremony without trophy!!!!! Until today which i find pretty ridiculous.

@mattmid: Absolutely right about Jaric, I too conceded a few headers because of his lack of aerial game, particularly from corners. Even so, he's so good when the ball is on the ground that in the end his impact is, overall, pretty positive.
In my save he just hit 80 defense attribute, has 87 long passing and 90 free kick acc. He's only 24!

About that 4-3-3 of yours, who's going to be the other winger besides Burchet? Stremer hasn't played more than 5 matches in my 3 seasons with him, though he's always been solid for me in past ML saves. It's just that we had Jaric, Baumann and Libermann, all of them with enough potential to become better than Stremer - and I was right, they're much better than him now. Valeny and Ceciu also suffered with my insistence with the youngsters.
Not to put pressure on you, but I'm really excited to hear about how your next season goes. Is Jaric doing well at DMF?

@Titch: You reminded me about an idea that I used to develop a few years ago on PES. I'd replace every national team player with an under-21, in order to create an Under-21 World Cup (such thing doesn't exist in real life, sadly for me because I've always thought it'd be amazing). Then after adjusting formations and starting elevens, I'd create a Word document with the groups, matchups and the calendar: every day - I mean, a real-life day! - there were two or three matches to be played (just like the real WC). Come 8pm, I'd be watching a CPU vs CPU under-21 WC match.
Why I don't do this anymore, I haven't got a clue...loved this whole process. I might go back to it and share it here on our Corner!

@Madmac79: Great read, I love hearing people explaining their tactical and strategic options. How's Castolo as a winger?
As for Minanda, some people believe he's inspired in Rui Costa (for the younger guys reading this, he's a former Milan, Fiorentina and Benfica player) not only because of his playing style but also because he's practically the same height and also portuguese. Even the hair is similar!

Quick question for PS2 PES players. Do you play on the 50 or 60mhz setting? Looking for the best set up on HDTV.

Thanks in advance.

@reinelt97 , Much crisper in NTSC 60mhz mode, once you have your LCD or LED television set to game mode viewing as well, then the dreaded "blurred ball" effect from flatscreen televisions almost disappears, very important this in likes of PES 3 and later games as the ball dynamics are very realistic and the ball flies fast through the air. :BOUNCE:

@miguelfcp I'd never thought about that with Minanda, I can really see that now, Rui Costa. He just has that cultured air about him doesn't he. Also Peter Brackley says his name virtually every time he has the ball as if to emphasise he's the main man.

That sounds an interesting idea about the u21's you should give it another go. You could run it alongside the real world cup this year.

Half season update to follow shortly so more on it in there but Jaric is doing well and it's Ordaz playing out on the other wing

I wonder why they changed the fakes names like Ximenes to Ximelez and Espinas to Espimas, Miranda Minanda etc? In fact looking at that list almost all of them

Oranges102? :LOL:

@mattmid , my theory has always been that Konami Tokyo game studio were totally tight and cheap about everything except the gameplay, nothing else matters as it should be. I suspect a few South American journerymen footballers wanted twenty pence royalties for naming rights as they had similar names to Miranda, Cellini and so on and Konami told them to get stuffed. :BEER:

PES3: So I tried that modern 4-3-3 again, this time against Fulham, who games ago kicked me out of D2 Cup. But this time I did a few significant changes:
Vornander at the center of defense, Minanda of course lower in the midfield near Celnini, but with less defensive duties, Macco on the far right as a winger and Njorgo forward. The rest of the formation confirmed as it was (Castolo as a cutting inside left winger, Ostwaut as a pure numer ten).

It went great! I won 1-0, had some good chances but I ended up scoring after a truly great exchange between Celnini, Ostwaut and Castolo, that served Njorgo for the tap in. Unluckily the replays are damn short otherwise I would have loved to share the action. Minanda granted me a more fluid build up as tought, perfectly complementing Celnini's granitic presence.. Njorgo is also a waaay better number nine for this kind of game, he feels stronger and more "present" than Barota, he can better endure being the only true forward: he perfectly interpreted my orders (back arrow) to fight also outside the area for loose balls.
To conclude the evaluation, Vornander is too strong both in physical duels and headers to leave him out.

I decided I'll leave Chiesa on the bench for now. Too many funnier options with the legendary guys. I'm also third in D2 with 8 points as of now, I doubt I'll be capable to run for promotion on the first year with only defaults, but trying can't hurt, right?

p.s. if I may suggest a real life comparison with a Minanda midfielder, he would be the perfect copy carbon of the 34 years old Roberto Mancini in Lazio 98-99, who closed by Salas and Vieri as forwards, was placed by mr. Eriksson as a central midfielder, lacking pace but granting high quality and vision around the field.

4 - 3 - 3 is very effective in PES 3, as with the revamped game engine and ball dynamics, scoring from crosses and corners with a thumper of a header is no longer almost impossibe. (PES 2 was impossible :RANT:).

I play a modified formation with position edit, a sweeper as one of the centre backs and two deep DMF midfielder with two wing forwards a bit back from the centre forward with a playmaker in the pocket behind like this:
CBSW
RB CB LB

DMF DMF

OMF
RWF LWF

CF​

Last edited:
@miguelfcp When you mentioned the name of Rui Costa, it totally make sense with similar style and stats. Now I understand more how to get the best out of Minanda. Do you know other real players inspired for defaults?

@miguelfcp , how many new gens have you in your squad now ? And are all their stats still very low ? If you manage to get promotion in PES 2008 ML, that will be amazing with primarily defaults.

I find the defaults are great at doing the basics at the back and in midfield, my solid and reliable DMFs all last season were Espinas and Nachdecal and they shut down Zidane in a playoff game and were superb, but creating and scoring more than a few goals is beyond them. Is Minanda in later PES editons vastly improved in terms of playmaking stats ? In PES 2 and 3, he is way below what is needed. :SS

Domzale Season 3 Winter Break Update

A very encouraging first half to the season in what is shaping up to be another really tight division again. At the half way stage four teams sit on the same points at the top! But more of that later.

The season started with the experimental 4-3-3 and what an opening game! Hamsun took on the hold up man role up front as if he'd played it all his life. His power and strength really shows there and his passing is good enough too to complement it perfectly. Added to being probably the best in the air bar Libermaan in the entire squad. He scored 2 as three time we took the lead against Altach and three times got pegged back before a late, late winner from Dodo, his first ever goal for the club! So first game a 4-3 away win! That was followed up with a 2-0 win against Vardar, the irony not lost that this was the team we couldn't beat just two games previously to get promoted.

Next up was Lech Poznan who took the lead in the first minute and made life very difficult for us but another late goal, this time from Minanda, a nice low shot from the edge of the box, grabbed us a point. Another really hard fought game came next against a St Polten side who had two players up front that I could not handle at all, they went in 2-0 up and could have had more. A huge second half fight back though from the boys who it seems this season are not willing to give anything up and goals from Hamsun and Burchet got us what seemed an unlikely point after the first half.

A complete change of 11 for the cup resulted in a 3-0 loss to Altach although it was a tighter game than the score suggested. What was really interesting was that I was completely unable to play a similar game to previous league games without Hamsun as the focal point up front. First Huylens and later Fouque played there during the game but neither were really effective. Ordaz may have been able to do it but he was also being rested. We went on to draw the second leg 1-1 but for the third season running we fail to progress beyond the first round of the cup. Although I like to say we went out in the quarter finals :D

We then drew 1-1 with GA Eagles after a sloppy bit of defending in the third minute cost us an early goal and it was a hard slog to get it back, but eventually we did. Dodo also hit the bar late on but it would have been an undeserved win. Next up was a real battle with Korona who went toe to toe with me and another late goal, this time from Ordaz after being fed in the area by a Hamsun pass for a big win. Last game of the first half of the season was against bogey side Heracles. Again I started sloppily and found myself a goal down inside five minutes and things got worse as it went to 2-0 by HT. This season though as I said there seems to be a real will to win from the team and somehow we got two goals back, the last again late on to earn a really hard fought point.

And so we reach halfway with the table looking like this

Lech Poznan 13 +6
Domzale 13 +4 ( 3-4-0 13-9)
GA Eagles 13 +2
Korona 13 +2
St Polten 10
Heracles 7
Altach 6
Vardar 4

A four-way tie for the lead! And we have managed to go the first half of the season unbeaten, despite going behind 2-3 times in games.

Top Scorer Keita (St Polten) 5 one of the two strikers I had real trouble with

Top Assists Vaculik (St Polten) Armenteros (Heracles) and Hamsun, Ordaz 2

Domzale

Top Scorers Hamsun, Burchett 3 Ordaz, Dodo!, Macco! 2

Top Assists Hamsun, Ordaz 2

Top Rating Dodo 6.6 Hamsun 6.5 (Minanda 6.3 at 37 :D) also Fouque 6.5 but has been mostly sub appearances.

14 yellows, 0 reds so far (8 reds last season!)

Players:

Dodo has now added goals to his game as if he wasn't already doing everything else! I'm sure there's two of him out there on the pitch.

Hamsun has come of age. An absolute revelation at the point of the attack, winning headers from crosses, holding it up and holding off defenders, bringing the wide men or Minanda/Dodo into play and defending from the front, using his strength to win the ball.

Burchet and Ordaz doing a fine job out wide, Ordaz's pace is helping him adapt to the role and like Burchet he's dangerous coming in late for crosses from the other wing. Macco has also been excellent coming on usually on 60 minutes for a tired Burchett, scoring 2 goals in the process.

Jaric (6.2) has settled into midfield really well, so well I've not missed Stein at all. Not quite at a Dodo level but solid and a very tidy passer, also his left foot gives us balance in there. So I'm really pleased with how that experiment has gone. Stein for his part has come on as sub and also covered both full backs during suspension and done well in all roles as always. Minanda continues to exude class. The three in midfield are in a 2-1 formation and he is in the two with Jaric with Dodo ahead of them getting stuck in first but if the opposition are getting on top in there and he's not getting much room then I switch him with Dodo after about 20 minutes. That's happened probably 2-3 times of the 7 games. He could have had four or five assists if the recipients had managed to finish but has just the one to his name.

Defence: Ivarov has been solid with no mistakes. Libermann has been a little bit off the pace (5.6) although still dominating the high balls, maybe having Stremer for a partner is stressing him out :LOL: Stremer's doing ok but if someone retires this season a CB is my ideal choice if there's a decent one to be had. Giersen and Ruskin have been steady and to be fair with the two wide men playing up front don't have as much cover, relying on a DM dropping out wide to help, have it a bit tougher this season.

Fouque, Macco, Ximelez, Espimas and Valeny have been restricted to substitute appearances in the main but all done well enough when called upon.

Lothar, Ceciu, Iouga, Castolo and Huylens have only played in the cup this season. Lothar managing to concede 4 in 2 games, so no change there.

Zamenhof is topping up his tan in Bali. His agent rang to see if there's any news on his contract renewal.

Ruskin, Jaric, Dodo, Hamsun and Ordaz have developed another point across the board during the first half of the season and with them all being 22/23 that's half the team getting very strong and with their best yet to come.

So half way and right there in the mix. Going on last season 25/26 pts could do it seeing as how close it is. However after last season I know there's a lot to do yet and I'm really not pleased to know Heracles is the last game of the season!

ML United - Season 3 - End-of-season update

Remember our second half of season 2? It was impossible not to think of it now, as I was getting ready to play the last 7 fixtures of the season.
First one after the winter break, vs. AIK at home. We lose 1-3 and the alarm goes off; this meant we were farther from the top-3 and teams such as Strasbourg and AIK, which seemed to be too weak for this promotion race, were now able to sneak in and get closer to the top.
We bounce back with a win against the horrible Heracles Almelo, but it was far from an easy matchup against the statistically worst team of all-time in my 3 seasons of D2 - by far!
Vs. Nancy, another team fighting for promotion...another loss! At this point, Dinamo Zagreb and Besiktas were 2 points ahead of us, while we struggled with Nancy, Strasbourg and AIK for the top-4.
Next up, Strasbourg...a draw.

Things are looking pretty bad: our offense is clearly struggling, our defense has seen better days, and I'm getting flashes of that dreadful first half of season 2 in which no player stood out and I was forced to rely on bench players like Burchet and Fouque to turn things around.
However, this time around I thought I had to trust my best players. With three fixtures to go, we were playing Dinamo Zagreb and Besiktas in the next two, and a win against any of them would put us in the promotion spots.
Vs Beskitas...a match I won't forget anytime soon. Our offense was fantastic, we were getting shot after shot and many attacking chances...but I witnessed the best exhibition by a GK I have seen in a long while in PES. Besiktas' keeper was absolutely fantastic out there: one of his saves reminded me of Gordon Banks' save after a Pele shot, which has been called the greatest save of all time.

Besides him, there was this 18-year-old CB who was a nightmare for me. Ordaz and Gutierrez were completely manipulated by him the whole match, he never lost a single physical challenge and managed to steal the ball on literally EVERY SINGLE one-on-one situation with any of my players. His name is Maldini, regen Maldini.
In the end, 1-1 draw.
There's still hope. If we win against Dinamo, we get a chance at a promotion spot, but this time we're also dependent on the outcome of a few other matches which included our rivals for the top-4 and promotion. All it took was Dinamo to draw and they'd be promoted.
Full-time, 1-1 draw once again. Dinamo celebrates and because of Beskitas' win, the two clinch promotion in the same fixture.

As if this wasn't painful enough, my last match of the season had to be against Metz. Grrr, Metz. They play a 5-4-1...I know I said this already, but who the hell plays a 5-4-1? There's always so many people defending, then they leave this poor guy up front who has to wait half an hour for his teammates to catch up and join the counter-attack (providing he's lucky enough to get the ball in the first place)...anyway, a win would get us a place in the top-4, though it wouldn't matter much because the fight for promotion was over, it mattered because I set the goal of reaching top-4 before the start of this season. I shook things up and put Iouga out there (first starting-eleven ever for him in 3 seasons), Burchet and Fouque.
Just like a few other ML United - Metz matches over the years, it ended 0-0 after an horrenduously dull match. We had 9 shots, none of them on goal...If by any chance you have an opportunity to see a ML United - Metz match over the course of your lifetime, please save your money and time.
This result got us out of the top-4, and it was the final dagger on a forgetful second-half of season.

5th - ML United - 20 pts - 5W /5D / 4L - 17 Goals / 14 Conceded (tied 3rd best offense; tied 4th best defense)

Top Scorer: Gutierrez 8 - best of the league, congrats you f*** only wished you had shown up after January
Assists: El Moubarki and Andy Reid (Heracles), 4 - sharing an award with Horrible Heracles, rock-bottom.
Analytics MVP: Van den Berg (6.2). Same rating as Fouque but Berg played many more minutes.

2nd half of season results: 1W /4D/ 2L...it's like season One all over again.
----
D2 Cup: After reaching the semi-finals, we sail past Metz in the semi-finals for the second consecutive season to face Nancy in the final. Both Baumann and Stein were out of this one, which added yet another layer of difficulty for this match, as if our dreadful last few matches weren't enough.
2 minutes in, Gutierrez scored. 0-1. Unlike our last few matches, we definitely seemed in control of this one...no way I was going to allow this to turn out into a goal-fest like our D2Cup Season 2 final against Rosenborg!
Though we didn't get many more chances on goal afterwards and until the end of the game, we never left the driving seat of this one and controlled the match. 89 minute, penalty for us...Minanda scores a Minanda Penalty (no run-up towards the ball because running is for p******) and we win it 0-2!

RpzImFG.jpg

rab34ad.jpg

XSpdZCT.jpg

@WhoAteMeDinner IN pes6 Minanda has short passing and technique in the low 80's. He's not quick (70) but not slow and has 75 accel as well as 77 shot acc and similar in fk/swerve. It just seems to be a great blend for a cultured playmaker coming down a league for a final swansong as his legs begin to go.

As to real life players I think Lothar might be modelled on Joe Hart :D He holds about as many shots anyway.

A few guesses

Valeny - Lillian Thuram?
Ordaz - Fernando Torres?

@miguelfcp First, congratulations on the Cup win! :BSCARF: I really thought I was going to be reading a promotion story this season. It's incredible how things turn around isn't it? Even in this first half I just played, the first two wins, everything clicked and they were great performances, then suddenly I had to fight for every point after that and it was a real battle just to draw. My Heracles are 2016/17 so not the same team, I have a real tough time with them every time. They have a striker, Armenteros, that is a real handful each time I play against him.

I bet you're feeling how I did at the end of my last season, I was convinced I was going to get promoted with two games to go and it was a real kick in the teeth to miss out. Now I'm in a better position that last time at half way but I'm not betting on anything yet after last season. Even more so having seen what you've just been through as well.

Oh and Maldini...Maldini.... hmm, I think I've heard of him :) What bad luck to come up against him.

Oh and to fill up my central european option file I made a couple of the big teams, Real Madrid and Barcelona or their players at least as free agents so they could appear in ML. I just spotted in the goals list some guy called Messi has evidently signed for Rapid Wien! Who I believe are in my Div 1! Not certain as I've just saved the game and it's closed but I'm pretty sure they are in the Div 1 I'm aiming for.

Last edited:
@WhoAteMeDinner IN pes6 Minanda has short passing and technique in the low 80's. He's not quick (70) but not slow and has 75 accel as well as 77 shot acc and similar in fk/swerve. It just seems to be a great blend for a cultured playmaker coming down a league for a final swansong as his legs begin to go.

As to real life players I think Lothar might be modelled on Joe Hart :D He holds about as many shots anyway.

A few guesses

Valeny - Lillian Thuram?
Ordaz - Fernando Torres?

@mattmid , ahh ok, Minanda clearly had his abilities upgraded in PES games after PES 3, and his stats you mention being consistently decent in the 70s and low 80s sound very similar to Arellano :KING:, who hardly has a yellow (80s) number in his stats, but is a gem of a player because his numbers are all good enough to make a superb all-round playmaker.

@miguelfcp , Big well done on the Division 2 Cup victory. Got to be the toughest PES silverware to win as nobody can build a strong squad subsisting on Division 2 points and you have ramped up the difficulty further with not even signing a single senior player. :SAL:

@miguelfcp I like a lot Castolo in that position. He's agile and fast enough and he suffers a lot less not being as physical strong as the other forwards.. but in my history with him in general, so even in other games, I remember always making him play as a second striker or at the very least a bit more far from the goal. But from the wing in that position I just find him perfect.

on Rui Costa/Minanda.. you know, I never tought about that! My comparison with Mancini was just a tactical one but if there was a real life inspiration, it would make more sense to be the portuguese of course.
The only think that would sound strange to me was that Minanda was already created in the first Iss Pro as a guy at least in his first thirty or late twenties if I remember correctly, while Rui Costa was still very young at the times.. so I've always tought about Minanda more like the general stereotype that represented all the kind of expert, classy number 10 who lost their pace due to aging.

@mattmid Dodo=Gattuso :D

Back
Top Bottom