The Retro-PES Corner

Yes:)) Although I see it does count as fatigue so I need to get these wages in the bag first then I can work on the areas needed for the youngsters.

@WhoAteMeDinner I'll sell you my Castolo if you like :D I just played the first friendly and another 0-0 draw, that's now 540 minutes without scoring a goal :OH: The worst part is I'm playing 20 minute games so that's actually two hours of game time without a goal!

On the plus side I've found the pre season training menu :D

I think the default players like Castolo, Espinas and Burchet's impact decreases in later PES editions, in PES 3, Castolo is still a good fox around the box and my star striker Dario Silva suffered a terrible "red cross" injury in game 10 of the league season. That usually means an eight to ten week injury period.

My promotion chances are screwed now I think, will get thumped in the playoff games without the main man up front. :SHOCK:

I think the default players like Castolo, Espinas and Burchet's impact decreases in later PES editions, in PES 3, Castolo is still a good fox around the box and my star striker Dario Silva suffered a terrible "red cross" injury in game 10 of the league season. That usually means an eight to ten week injury period.

My promotion chances are screwed now I think, will get thumped in the playoff games without the main man up front. :SHOCK:

Let's hope someone can step up to replace him. My player Christensen in my Norway save has a 17wk injury! He's going to miss over half the 30 game season. Great though, adds to the realism losing a key player. Good luck for the play offs.

Meanwhile after 637 minutes without a goal, the drought is broken in some style!

Yeah pretty sure even when you finished first you had to go through a playoff.
@mattmid That's ridiculous! I never score volleys. My player always goes for the header even when it's like a foot off the floor.

@miguelfcp I can only hope the master passes his skills on. I just hope he had his eyes covered when Valeny went through his drills :R1

I almost can't bring myself to say it but Minanda had a bit of a disappointing season. I think more to do with the lack of talent around him to play with than anything else though. He was still second rated at 6.1 despite that.
Let's hope someone can step up to replace him. My player Christensen in my Norway save has a 17wk injury! He's going to miss over half the 30 game season. Great though, adds to the realism losing a key player. Good luck for the play offs.

Meanwhile after 637 minutes without a goal, the drought is broken in some style!

Thanks @mattmid , I may put the man, the legend, that is Arellano in the striker role and bring Heinrich up as playmaker from the back. He has the skills and a bit of the Lothar Matthaus pitch presence about him.

A seventeen week injury is rough on your team. Huylens has become some player in PES 2008, that was some volley. Looked almost like a nonchalant flick. Nice. :EASY:

There's a playoff for promotion in PES3?

Yep, both first and second have to play a two-leg tie against the bottom two from Division 1 and that is usually the likes of Parma or similar with a team of stars. Most seasons only one Div 2 side manage to get promoted.

Really? Appears to be a straight 2 up, 2 down in PES6 as in mine Heerenven and Lokeren are being replaced by SV Reid and another who've I've forgotten at the moment, Albanian team I think it was. I certainly don't remember any play offs from previously, although as I hadn't remembered much of it that's no guarantee!

@Titch & @WhoAteMeDinner After 7 games without a goal it was certainly some way to get one! Great cross from Ruskin too, he's coming on leaps and bounds. Playing Left back now. He caught it so sweet. He attempted an overhead kick during last season as well that surprised me! Oh and I went on to lose 2-1! :APPLAUD: Lothar back in goal.

Ah and @miguelfcp Minanda has a new role this pre season that's working quite well, he's playing as an SS behind either Ordaz or Huylens. He had eight shots in the previous game... not that any went in!

@WhoAteMeDinner As long as he doesn't have any of the Lothar the keeper about him! :DD

.. and Huylens follows it up with a hat-trick in the next friendly! A 4-0 win as the missing goals turn up at last! Not much in the game actually, just one of those where mine went in and there's didn't. A very welcome 1240pts awarded for it too!

Is it worth trying Minanda as a striker? His shot accuracy is good but I can never get him to hit the target!

@Titch He's been doing well for me in this pre season as an SS, he is yet to score, but he's helping a lot with the link up play. I'm playing 4-4-1-1 with 2 DM's and the two wider players are further forward and not too wide, and on one side I have it set as AM and I'm playing Fouque there who's suddenly playing really well and the other side is Macco at the moment (as a RM) but also Espimas or Ximelez when fit can play there instead. It's working quite well so far.

It also seems a decent formation to allow players to come in without being too out of position.

Has anyone played any of the players out of position?
Tried Burchet up front and he rips through defences!

Yes he was my top scorer last season. I had him a bit wider mind and changed it to WF with I think it was Huylens at CF. Not too wide, sort of edge of penalty area. His pace is incredible isn't it! Just tires very quickly is the only problem.

Hope you all don't mind another video but this just happened with Dodo, I was left open mouthed. So, so close to an incredible goal. I didn't know he had it in him to do anything like that!

Yes he was my top scorer last season. I had him a bit wider mind and changed it to WF with I think it was Huylens at CF. Not too wide, sort of edge of penalty area. His pace is incredible isn't it! Just tires very quickly is the only problem.

Hope you all don't mind another video but this just happened with Dodo, I was left open mouthed. So, so close to an incredible goal. I didn't know he had it in him to do anything like that!

I love those kind of goals. That was indeed so very close!!! Wish it went in. Reading all this makes me want to start a ML campaign myself. Except it’ll be on WE9LE :)

Should I wait until I unlock 6 star or just start with 5 for the ML? Much difference between the two difficulty levels?

I really have to do a save in PES3, wasn't aware there was a playoff for promotion. Interesting stuff.

@mattmid: Minanda as a SS could work, he has the shot acc. for it. But as the years go by his physical stats decrease a lot so he loses mobility up front. I've used the individual pre-season training option to focus only on his passing (whereas with the majority of my players I usually try a few different specific trainings) and he's fighting decline really well on that regard, though losing a lot of speed, agility, stamina; it's possible that he reaches 40 years old without losing more than 1 point in his passing stats. Another positive thing about the individual training.
Amazing goal by Dodo, and your PES6 looks good man! Timeless classic.

@Titch: playing players out of position is one of the things I love the most about PES. I pulled this trick often with the defaults over the years but lately I've been also trying out Burchet up front, Macco as a RWB and El Moubarki as a CB and CMF. Oh and Stein has already played as a CB, though he's quite short he's a monster back there.

@lazoli: Go ahead mate, WE9LE must be a fantastic platform for a ML - another one to add to my to-do list. If I were you I'd accumulate a few points to buy the 6-star option, maybe play a World Cup or something to warm up for your ML save and at the same time you get those sweet sweet points.

Has anyone played any of the players out of position?
Tried Burchet up front and he rips through defences!

@Titch , Here is a few tips to playing the likes of Minanda, Espinas or Burchet up front or as a WF. Remember the PES golden rule, a diagonal shot on goal from under twelve yards is almost a certain goal. Get any player in that area and they will hit the onion bag and always have the D-pad pointed at the goal
when shooting, as only top strikers fire one in the top corner with just the shoot button. :FISH:

I really have to do a save in PES3, wasn't aware there was a playoff for promotion. Interesting stuff.

@mattmid: Minanda as a SS could work, he has the shot acc. for it. But as the years go by his physical stats decrease a lot so he loses mobility up front. I've used the individual pre-season training option to focus only on his passing (whereas with the majority of my players I usually try a few different specific trainings) and he's fighting decline really well on that regard, though losing a lot of speed, agility, stamina; it's possible that he reaches 40 years old without losing more than 1 point in his passing stats. Another positive thing about the individual training.
Amazing goal by Dodo, and your PES6 looks good man! Timeless classic.

@Titch: playing players out of position is one of the things I love the most about PES. I pulled this trick often with the defaults over the years but lately I've been also trying out Burchet up front, Macco as a RWB and El Moubarki as a CB and CMF. Oh and Stein has already played as a CB, though he's quite short he's a monster back there.

@lazoli: Go ahead mate, WE9LE must be a fantastic platform for a ML - another one to add to my to-do list. If I were you I'd accumulate a few points to buy the 6-star option, maybe play a World Cup or something to warm up for your ML save and at the same time you get those sweet sweet points.

@miguelfcp , More than interesting, PES 3 is totally brutal hard and absorbing, you will love it again. Can't do much with just defaults mind you, as you will know. And even building from the back with defensive signings of good quality, my tactic now, will not get you a promotion very fast, season eight for me in Division 2 soon. Playoff looks like it will be against AS Roma, zilch chances. :COAT:

I streamed some we6fe and we7i on twitch tonight, first time i have played either in ages, it was fun, i will stream again tomorrow, come to my twitch channel (grayperview) if interested. i also stream pes18 and am looking for some regulars to play against.

@miguelfcp Yeah I did one hit on stamina and the rest passing on Minanda. Others I concentrated on where they needed but for the last batch of training I hit teamwork on everyone. I did pick out what I thought to be lessers side from my option file for pre season as I needed to get some points in the bag but I can feel the team improving in their general play and cohesion.

Huylens was on fire hitting 5 goals in 6 games including a hat-trick and Fouque really impressed me. I had him in from the touchline in a sort of advance SM position but playing as an AM and it really seems to suit him, he got two assists and a goal himself in that Huylens hat-trick game. He could be the man to replace Minanda when the time comes. Macco playing RM has also had a good pre season, so two pleasant surprises there. Dodo and Stein are just superb at DM and developing in their play with the ball a bit as well now. I'm really pleased with Jaric at CB alongside Libermann ( who is a beast in the air isn't he) I'd like to try him in midfield but with the Dodo/Stein partnership keeping him out he's developing well at CB. Ruskin is another who is flying, biggest improving player to date. Got one pre season game left before Season 2 starts.

I have it on 3840/2160 resolution :))

@WhoAteMeDinner During my goal drought Ordaz would still have hit the floodlights from there :LOL:

ML United Season 2 - End of season update

Buckle up, you're in for a ride.
I really recommend you read my last update for some context, and boy do you need context to understand what the hell happened this season.

After the winter transfer period - which we can't use, no defaults have retired yet - we were facing Dinamo Zagreb at home for our first match of the second half of the season. Dinamo was fighting for promotion (a team with a few notable players such as young Mandzukic and young Modric), whereas ML United was fighting for God knows what...the team was chaotic back then.
5 min in, 0-1. 10 min, 0-2. 15 min, 0-3. Holy **** this is going to be the beating of the decade. 30 min, 0-4. Half-time, 0-4 and I'm feeling absolutely lost. What the hell was happening to this team? Last season we were competitive, though never brilliant, and now every player is a shadow of what they used to be: even the ever-reliables Stein and Gutierrez, who never had any truly terrible ML season in any version of PES under my command, were completely lethargic and useless out there.
Fortunately that match ended 0-4 but could've easily been 0-6 or 0-7. By far the worst performance since the beginning of the save.

We hit rock bottom. But the next match, something changed...we grab a win. Ordaz is back with Gutierrez up front - relegating Burchet and Hamsun to the bench, after that dreadful 0-4 loss - and they put out an amazing performance. The next one...another win, another display of excellence by both our strikers and also Minanda, who takes back the AMF role that was Fouque's until after the Zagreb nightmare. Another one, another win, make it 3 in a row. Wait a minute, what's going on here?
Next up was the 1st leg of the D2 Cup semifinals against Metz, and...we win it, 1-2. 4 wins in a row.
Back to the league, now were facing 2nd placed Lokomotiv. Long ago I was trying desperately to get out of the last position of the table, but after these wins we were just 5 points away from them. A win here would get us within a decent distance and spark up promotion fever in...[what's the name of ML United's hometown? insert it here]
The result? Another win. 5 in a row.
Then comes the second leg of the semifinals and we draw 1-1, advancing to the finals on aggregate. "kind-of-6-in-a-row".
Now there was just one more fixture to play. We faced league leaders Rosenborg, who had nothing to fight for in fixture 14 since they had already clinched both promotion to the D1 and the 1st place of D2, so they were officially the champions.

iCMwOyI.jpg
Dinamo had to lose or draw, and Lokomotiv had to lose or draw, providing we won our last match against the league leaders (not only in points, but also the league's best offense and defense). Because of the goal difference, we had to win by 3 goals if Lokomotiv drew their match.

vs. Rosenborg away...at half-time, 0-3 for us. Lokomotiv and Dinamo drew their matches, which means we were virtually in the D1 right now.
Full-time, 0-4 for ML United. Promotion?

5I43wV9.jpg
Dinamo ended up with a draw, so we got their 3rd place; but Lokomotiv won their match and were promoted to the D1 alongside Rosenborg.
Though we couldn't get promoted, after our 0-4 home loss against Dinamo we went on a 6W-0D-0L run, scored 15 and conceded only 3 goals. MADNESS!!!

3rd - ML United - 1st in goals scored, 3rd worse defense

Top Scorer: 8 Burgic (AIK).....5 Ordaz, 4 Gutierrez, 3 Burchet
Assists: 4 Minanda
ML United Analytics MVP: Van den Berg 6.5 - At this point I should rename this award...he really did well in this second half of the season - but then again most of our players did too - and as you know, Big Data freaks drool all over our box-to-box.

Season One: 14,29% win percentage
Season 2: 50% W percentage

-----Farewell to Huylens, he retired by the end of the season! Congratulations to whoever bet on him, the bookmakers were right on.

Odds on who's going to be America's Next Top Model...ahem, next default to retire:
Iouga - 2,50
Zamenhof - 2,70
Minanda - 3,75

Last edited:
@miguelfcp So unlucky! That was some run you went on there and suddenly the goals were flowing as well. Quite a second half to the season! Some win at Rosenborg too! You must have thought you had clinched promotion before you went back to the stats screen after the match and found out the result.

Don't know about first to retire but my money's on Zamenhof to play on forever. After all he's earning all that money and not even having to get his shorts dirty :DD He's already getting paid to be retired.

It's funny how teams can have such different second halves, Lech Poznan were unbeaten at 2-5-0 in the first half of my 1st season and then lost 5 in the second half. I was getting kind of hopeful I might be able to challenge this season with the pre season but I just lost 3-0 in the last pre season game. SV Ried of Austria and Partizani Tirana from Albania have come down, arguably both weaker than Heerenveen and Lokeren who went up and they had a 9pt gap on third placed Heracles which suggests it could be quite a tight league this season. We shall see.

Good idea. I will stream the World Cup tournament too. So stay tuned:)

That is one thing I have never done; a full World Cup.
I had planned one back even back in 1998 for the World Cup game.
I started one in 2008 for the Euros, but gave up after about three games.

@miguelfcp what a ride!!! similar to the turnaround of WBA under Moore. Maybe 1 more game ML United can be promoted. Now, you will be hot favourite to be promoted next season. Odds 1.01 Right?

Are you setup ML level to Very Hard? What is the different between Normal and Very Hard? Is it more fatigue and cannot play 2 matches consecutively for same player?

For preseason training, you only train each player for 1 ability for whole 8 weeks?

@mattmid: After that 0-4 win against Rosenborg I was already ready to take my shirt off and run around the house screaming and celebrating, it would've been the greatest promotion story I've ever seen in my PES experience...
You know, you might be right about Zamenhof. He hasn't played a single match in two seasons, still gets his money...I want Zamenhof's job!
What really impressed me this season was the fact that you could really tell who was on top form and who wasn't, regardless of their condition arrows. If I had kept Ordaz and Gutierrez on my starting eleven back when we were struggling, I don't think they'd ever get out of that hole. Instead, I benched them for Burchet and Hamsun, they must've recharged their batteries or something because after a while they came back playing the best football I've seen of them. Makes you wonder how intelligent and life-like is this simulation...

@lazoli: If I'm here I'll watch it live!

@Titch: what version of PES are you playing?

@wildwind: The bookmakers are very confused still, and so am I. What version of ML United will we see next season: the first half of season 2 or the undefeated football maniacs from the latter half? Hard to tell.
I'm playing on Very Hard, and I don't know if the ML level affects anything else than the transfer market/contract renewals. I did see in my test-save in PES2009 that acquiring a player is a nightmare, the AI is very tough when negotiating.
I only had that problem with fatigue in PES5. In PES2008, if you're smart when it comes to managing your players stamina in matches, if you sub off the players with more fatigue during a match and rotate some of your players in cup matches you'll be fine. I can tell you Stein missed only one or two matches this season, Ivarov missed one, and most of my starting eleven could've played almost every match if I didn't feel like we had to shake things up a bit mid-season.
Regarding pre-season training, I tend to mix it, but it depends on the player. For example I only focus on Minanda's passing since Season 1's pre-season. Now for Gutierrez, I never repeated a training for him in two consecutive weeks. You also can't apply training for every week of the pre-season because of pre-season matches and fatigue.

EDIT: I forgot to tell about the D2 Cup final, which I lost 4-2 against Rosenborg.

Back
Top Bottom