The Retro-PES Corner

Sorry to ask same question again, anyone played a COM team that really actively presses for the ball when you just kick it about among your defenders ?

In PES2008 PS2 version some teams press all over the pitch depending on tactics. And at the moment i play on Regular.

Anyone know if you get any points for 7th place in ML? I have one game left against fellow joint bottom team GA Eagles and I'm 1020 pts shy of paying the wages! So I need to win for 800pts and score 13 goals at this point :SHOCK: Fair to say the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords!

Not sure matt. Can you play friendlies after to make pts? I know in previous versions you could.

Pretty sure the wages kick in before the first game of the new season. So I'd imagine you would have time to play friendly matches to get your points up. I can't remember how many you can play though.

@geeeeee and @Titch Thanks. I seem to remember it might be 8 friendlies possible although I never played that many. That should be ok then hopefully! It's been a while and I'd forgotten that you don't pay them straight away at the end of the season Phew!

That's good news for me too as I was concerned I wouldn't have enough games to gain the points I needed.

@mattmid: 800 points? That's what I'm getting if I win my friendly match against Arsenal (highly unlikely...). Are you planning to sell players?

@miguelfcp No I'm not selling or buying. I had forgotten that you play the friendlies before you have to pay the wages as I'm still 1020 short with just one league game to go.

ML United - Season 2 - Mid-season update

Sad news: not a single default has retired.
Even Huylens, which was the bookmakers' favourite to be the first to wave us goodbye, chose to renew his contract for one year.
Financially we were in a decent place, with at least as many PES points needed to renew everyone's expired contract - and there were a few of them, including our money-hungry Minanda who at the age of 37 still believes he should get a massive raise. I gave it to him because secretly I'd be willing to pay Minanda whatever money he asked for, also because the rules of the challenge force me to renew every single contract. But mainly because he's King Minanda, the eternal number 10.
Because most of the expiring deals were from older players like Iouga, Zamenhof and Huylens, we got to save a few PES points too as they all asked for less expensive contracts. Nice to know that our defaults have some kind of self-awareness.

So no one retires, and I'm stuck with these 28 players for one more season.

I used the pre-season to focus on our training and I think I mentioned it before, the individual player training system (which I didn't know it even existed) is remarkable. Take El Moubarki for example: I focused heavily on his stamina (to adapt him better to the RWB role). This means that over the course of his training, the only Experience Points he gets are applied to the stamina stat...but here comes the best part: let's say all of his stats have currently 60 Experience Points, which makes him evolve all of his stats at the exact same pace. Because I focused on his stamina, now he has 70 E. Pts. for his stamina stat and 60 for every other stat, which makes him more likely in the future to develop his stamina a lot compared to his other stats, even after the end of pre-season training, and throughout his career.
You're able to recreate your players according to the plan you have for each of them, and just a single pre-season is likely to have impact for many years of ingame player evolution.
As the save progresses I'll find out exactly how this works out.
--
The season began and for a while it looked like we never left Season One: we hardly got any points in the first matches. This time around it was even worse, for I couldn't single out any player who was playing at least at a decent level. Mind you, the players are exactly the same as last year, the strategy/tactics are the same, and even the starting eleven with which I finished last season remained unchanged.
A few matches in and there we were in same-old rock bottom, 8th place, dead-last. After half of the total number of fixtures was completed, this was our record:

8th - ML United - 5 pts - 1W / 2D / 4L : 9 goals scored / 12 conceded (4th best offense/worst defense)
Goals: 4 Sychev (Lokomotiv), Iversen (Rosenborg), 3 Burgic (AIK) 3 Burchet
Assists: Ruskin 3

We had as many losses in just half a season than in the whole of Season 1. It was that bad.
Throughout the first half of the season I had to come up with solutions to fight this obvious moment of crisis, particularly benching players who were underperforming. Players such as Giersen, Fouque, Ceciu and Burchet had barely played last season but I gave them a chance to take El Moubarki, Minanda, Libermann and Ordaz's roles. The striker duo Ordaz and Gutierrez barely played together, as Huylens, Castolo and Burchet took over.
Though my strategy doesn't include a winger role, I had previously discussed with @Matt10 on this thread the fact that Burchet never quite seems to fit any team in any tactic, as he too was having issues with getting something out of him. I told him Burchet could be an interesting fit for the striker position if he played just a few minutes. As I was having trouble with finding some consistency in our striker duo - Ordaz and Gutierrez were doing horribly...-, I tried Burchet as a striker, often playing alongside either Hamsun or Gutierrez.
On the next four matches he scored three goals, which made him our top scorer by the time the winter transfer window arrived; still, his effort was not enough to turn things around.

The only positive thing about this period was that we kept fighting for the D2 Cup, advancing past the first round and therefore completing one of the objectives I had planned for this season.

How did I forget about developing players pre season?
Another idea I've had is when players retire, change their name so at least then they seem like new players.

Have you guys ever got confused about your finances and bought someone you couldnt afford and game over?

Ive done that in the past. I put an offer in for a few players and didnt expect all the deals to read ‘success’ heh heh. Then the club went bankrupt because there wasnt enough friendlies. Great manager i turned out to be :P

@everyone :P yes i love the training. During pre season i note down every player and what to work on. It is quite satisfying when your players improve and you can really feel the difference in the new season.

@geeeeee :LOL:

I managed to get a 0-0 draw in my last game of the season (just cannot buy a goal at the moment!) so 400pts nearer! Organised 8 pre season friendlies to get some points, surely I can win at least one of them! God knows when I last did the ML because I don't remember anything it seems! I don't even recall being able to concentrate on one aspect for pre-season.

I'm really enjoying it and it's a real challenge. It's like being at a game complaining when my players can't find a team mate from 10 yards away. Valeny I'm looking at you! An easy through ball down the line to release Ximelez please Valeny. "Play through ball" ... Valeny! He's not in the %^%^% stand is he? :LOL:

@mattmid but once their stats improve and they begin to gel because of their Team Work stat you can start to feel the difference in passing etc...

All that helps to bring a kind of connection between you and the players. That’s what is so much better with retro PES.

One thing I like is how important the stats are. I've tried Hamsun up front and despite his fairly weak shooting he is extremely effective. I didn't realise how pacey Huylens was either!

Yeah, Hamsun's doing quite well for me too, I don't really remember him much. Burchet's been great too with his pace but I can rarely get two games in a row out of him. Stein's been excellent in DM as has Dodo as well, although he's another who can't pick out a pass. The time's I've won the ball with him only to then give it straight back!

I think the biggest difficulty with these originals and this challenge of not being able to buy/sell is the lack of a box to box CM. Stein and Dodo are both great at breaking the play up but offer very little going forward. At least at this early stage anyway.

@Titch: I thought about that, but here's another way to look at it: pretend the newgen is the retired player's son.

@mattmid: You're playing PES6 right? I can't remember if this feature existed pre-PES2008, but then again I didn't know about it at all before trying out PES2009...
I see you're a brave man, trying out through balls with Valeny!
You're in need of "Big Data favourite" Van den Berg, he was only introduced exactly in PES2008. But Stein and Dodo are a very decent duo if you have a creative man like Minanda in front of them. Dodo also evolves into a player who could easily play either as a DMF or a CMF, in my save he just hit the 75 passing acc. stat.

@miguelfcp Yes, PES6. I'll let you know. At what point does it come up? I'm just ready to start my first friendly but I don't see any option for it at the moment.
It sounds like I could do with Van den Berg! Valeny! Aghh, he tries.

Domzale: End of Season 1

It's fair to say the end of the season fell away sharply with no goals and just one point in the last five games of the season. Although I feel the twitter campaign to get the manager sacked was harsh.

It was a falling away that saw Go Ahead Eagles finish above us with a last game of the season giving me the opportunity to climb back above them but it wasn't to be as an end to end affair somehow ended 0-0. The rumours are unfounded that Domzale have installed a barn door at their training complex to see whether any of their players can hit it. The second half of the season had started with a 2-0 win over Lech Poznan and things looked good for a mid table finish. In the end that was more about Lech Poznan falling away though from an unbeaten team in the first half to losing five of their seven games during the second half of the season.

In a fitting end of season game, Lokeren met Heerenveen, both teams long since promoted, in a winner takes the title match. Lokeren ran out 2-0 winners.

Final Table

Lokeren 32pts ( 10-2-2 21-9)
Heerenveen 29
Heracles 20
Vardar Skopje 19
Lech Poznan 17
Korona Kelice 16
Go Ahead Eagles 11
Domzale 11 ( 2-5-7 9-20 )

Div 2 Player Of The Year Persoons (Lokeren)

Div 2 Golden Boot te Verde (Heerenveen) 9

Div 2 Assist Leader Navratil (Heracles) 4

Domzale Awards

Top Scorer Burchet 4

Top Assists Burchet 2

Top Ratings Ruskin 6.2

Player Of The Year Burchet for being a complete surprise package and getting some key goals

Young Player Of The Year Ruskin Top rated player on the team and improved well throughout the season.

Squad latest...

Valeny, Minanda, Castolo, Zamenhof, Ceciu, Iouga, Espimas have dropped in a few areas as was expected although Castolo has dropped by 2 in a couple of his key areas.

All round improvers, Libermann, Ruskin, Stein, Dodo, Jaric, Hamsun, Ordaz, Macco and Lothar and these will form the base of the pre season friendly team. Did I just say that about Lothar? Well, once we've got a couple of wins and wages covered THEN he can get another go.

Huylens and Ximelez have surpringly held their stats stable across the board which is great news.

Giersen is something of a disappointment having player a fair few games but yet to move up by 1 on any stat, similarly with Fouque although he played less. Hopefully they can improve over pre season.

The frustration at the moment is that Jaric has some good stats for being a good CM but lacks the ATT stat so for now with Stein and Dodo at DM he'll have to grow his stats at CB despite a lack of height.

So, a disappointing end to the first season having been sure I'd finish no lower than 7th at half way, but some promising development from the young players and we'll wait and see if any of the older one's choose to retire, it doesn't seem likely.

Attacking wise there are loads of options. But as you said there isn't anyone that can perform a box to box role.

@mattmid: Prince Minanda has been tutored since his early years to become better than his father, King Minanda. While the kids of his age spend their time at school, he spends his days watching full ML United matches and practising his passing. Watch out!
If you're already in pre-season you must have an option called "pre-season training" in your ML menu and then you're able to choose between "automatic training" or individual training.

Attacking wise there are loads of options. But as you said there isn't anyone that can perform a box to box role.

Yes it's almost a compromise in the first season I found. I can either play three at the back and wing backs and two DM's which keeps things secure but means I struggle going forward or play the wing backs further forward or use SM's or Burchet at WF but then get exposed at the back. All great fun though.

@miguelfcp I can only hope the master passes his skills on. I just hope he had his eyes covered when Valeny went through his drills :R1

I almost can't bring myself to say it but Minanda had a bit of a disappointing season. I think more to do with the lack of talent around him to play with than anything else though. He was still second rated at 6.1 despite that.

@miguelfcp No I'm not selling or buying. I had forgotten that you play the friendlies before you have to pay the wages as I'm still 1020 short with just one league game to go.

@mattmid , Lol me neither, ML points are still at almost zero with just three games of the season left, as I spent big in the early season transfer window to finally make a permanent transfer buy of Heinrich, my main man sweeper at the back. May still win the Cup though and then splurge on buying Castolo back, the cheeky pup took a free agent transfer offer from Mersey Side Blue. :CRY:

@WhoAteMeDinner I'll sell you my Castolo if you like :D I just played the first friendly and another 0-0 draw, that's now 540 minutes without scoring a goal :OH: The worst part is I'm playing 20 minute games so that's actually two hours of game time without a goal!

On the plus side I've found the pre season training menu :D

Back
Top Bottom