The PES4 Master League Thread - YEAH!

Simao Hat-trick Hero in Kiev​

Simao striking the ball past a helpless Shovkovsky​

Cup Semi-Final First Leg - Dinamo Kiev 0 Benfica 3

Simao was again the hero after scoring three superb away goals against a strong Kiev side. His first came when a hoepful cross from Riera flew past all the players in the box and Sabrosa was left at the back to smash it home. His second arrived when Benfica were on the break, and while evading two defenders with his shimmies, Simao then cut inside and rifled it in top corner. However his best goal was saved till last when he drilled home an audacious attempt from fourty yards out: The goal of the season.

The win comes as a high for Benfica who have been enduring a bad patch of form lately but they play as a World Class team in the cup, but in the league is where they need to work on.

Benfica Beginning to Bottle?​

Sukur celebrating his goal with Ates Necati​

League: Galatasaray 2 - Benfica 0
A game which both side needed to win and one that could have been a potential league winner but Benfica were the ones who drew blood in this cracking thriller of a match. Both teams wre without key players, Luisao and E. Gonzalez were both out for the Reds while Ribery was suspended for Gala.

It all started with end to end stuff but it was Benfica who came closest first, hitting the woodwork through an ambitious Fyssas strike. However the away side were stunned when from a disputive freekick, Sukur nodded on to the post but then it appeared that he used his hand when poking in for the rebound. All the Benfica players protested but the referee had none of it and booked Bruno Vale, the team was hard done by.

The second hlaf started and Benfica looked for an equaliser coming close on numerous of occasions but again they were caught on the counter when a Arif Erdem through ball found Hakan Yakin who slotted past Vale. By now, Benfica had a tremendous amount of hard work to do, being two nil down away in Turkey.

However Benfica thought they had found a life-line when all their hard earned pressure seemed to have paid off. A superb cross by Simao after a run from a corner down at the opposite end, found Delibasic who nodded down to Bruno Aguiar. He then volleyed the ball which was only parried by Modragon to the Serbian and he slidded home. But alas, the referee overuled the goal becuase of offside even though Delibasic was behind Aguiar in the first place. It turned a very bitter night for Benfica as they were close and should have won. Even though manager Kettell put on a brave face, it was clear that he wasn't happy what he just say with the official's performance, not the player's who played exceptionnally well and were very unlucky.

Benfica Bounce Back!​

Luisao celebrating his goal

League: Benfica 4 - Anderlecht 0

There were minor changes as Benfica looked to recover from the referee's horror show the week before. Luisao came in for a tired Ricardo Rocha and he partnered Rozehnal. Ezequiel Fernandes also replace a fatigued Castillo.

Benfica were hoping for a great start but it all started iffy with the Belgians coming close on many occasions. However Delibasic with the grip of his teeth, gave Benfica a sigh of relief when he took two touches a buried the ball in the net from outside of the area. And only minutes later, Delibasic grabbed a brace when he latched onto a Simao through ball on used his strength to ride the challenges of both Kompany and Vanden Borre to slot the ball past Zitka who was hopeless in rushing out.

Even more good news came in the second half, when top assister Simao put in a useful corner for Luisao to cram home with his head. This was the first goal of the season for the Brazilian defender who enjoyed his comeback after returning from the Brazil squad in South America. To round a good day off, Riera won and took a penalty to make sure all the points were safe. However the fans were not cheering of the scoreline, news came about that Galatasaray had lost away to Lokomotiv Moscow so Benfica again extended there lead at the top and the Turk's hard work the week before had come to nothing.

Scorers: Delibasic (2), Luisao, Riera

legacalcio.jpg

Verona March On

Hellas Verona maintained their two point gap at the top of Serie B with victory over Perugia in the Stadio Bentegodi last night.

Andrea Cossu opened the scoring early in the game, firing low and hard past Lorenzo Squizzi at the near post after Guarente's pass had played him in. The goal takes Cossu to six for the season so far, making him the top scorer in the division.

Antimo Iunco received a warm welcome from the Verona tifosi when he appeared as a second half substitute, making his first return to action following a six week lay off with an ankle injury, and he celebrated by sealing the win for his team in the 83rd minute when he latched onto Carbone's clever through ball and lobbed the advancing keeper for 2-0.

iunco1.jpg
Iunco shapes to chip in with the second goal

It could all have been so different had Al Gadhafi's first-half rocket not pinged spectacularly off the underside of the crossbar with Pegolo beaten, but instead Perugia slumped to their third consecutive defeat and are guaranteed to finish bottom of Serie B this season.

Verona will now prepare for tricky away trips to Livorno and Vicenza, knowing that only Atalanta - who face Perugia and Cagliari - can stop them from winning the division. The top two will then meet in the Serie B Cup final two weeks later, enticing both teams with the prospect of doing the double.

Serie B Table - Week 12

1. 26pts Verona
2. 24pts Atalanta
--------------------
3. 18pts Genoa
4. 18pts Torino
5. 17pts Cagliari
6. 15pts Livorno
7. 14pts Vicenza
8. 5 pts Perugia

Finally completed the 2009 season. Finished 4th in the league which is good but I could of possibly won the league, if I didn’t lose ridiculously to PSV! When I lost to them I had to win my remaining four games, which I nearly did, but lost one match, which was the last match of the season against Spartak 2-0 and even if I had won it O. Lyon would of won the league anyways, because they won all their four remaining matches!!!

The table looked like this

1 O. Lyon………...30…….63
---------------------------------
4 FC Utrecht…...30……...52
5 Spartak M…....30….....50
6 FC Basel……....30……....46
----------------------------------
R Dynamo Kiev…..30…..30
R Panathiniakos…..30…..11

img0491.jpg
falling foul against PSV

My top scorer were:

Rajcomar………..14
Wisse……………....10
Calabro…………….9
Ludvigsen………...7
Eremenko…………5
Leitoe……………..4

I got knocked out of the Div 1 First Round to PSV, 2-2 on away goals. Also never made it into Europe this season finished 7th in the league last season…even though I won the UEFA Cup!

Since Rajcomar got injured I gave my other strikers a chance to shine and they have done well, especially Wisse who played really well scoring 10 goals for me, I had to leave Rajcomar on the bench for Wisse to play more games! And also Ludvigsen continued his form through the second half of the season scoring 7 goals from different positions and assisting 4. Calabro and Leitoe both also had a equally good season to…as forwards. Yebda was promoted to the first team this season, for improvement in his ability and excellent form. Also Eremenko was up to his usual antics, causing havoc in midfield. Schut and Agustien formed a good partnership in midfield for me this season…and Vidic usually came on as a sub to add extra steel in my defence.

arjanwisse8dw.jpg
Wisse stares fear into defenders eyes

To the transfers:

IN:

Jun (AC Sparta Praha) ---------------> FC Utrecht – 5 Million Euros

I needed a CF that can support Rajcomar up front…and can also score goals instead of relying on Rajcomar all the time. Jun has pace, a good shot accuracy and is good in the air for a player 179 cm tall. He has already scored 2 goals for me during pre-season.

Kolk (Malaga C.F.) ---------------------> FC Utrecht – 6 Million Euros

Kolk is a left-footed SMF who can play as a OMF, WF and CF. His fast, can cross well, aggressive and has a lot of stamina.

Bodde (Ado den Haag) ------------> FC Utrecht – 3 Million Euros

Bodde a SMF, who can also play as a CMF, CBT and SB. Played him as a SB and SMF during a pre-season match and he done really well for me setting up goals from those two different positions. Very good for modest player (ability wise).

Spector (Manchester United) ---------> FC Utrecht – 3 Million Euros

Spector is another versatile player I bought, who is a CBT, but can play as a SB, OMF and a CF. Only 23 he can turn into a very good player and a useful one.

Hagui (Feynoord) ----------------------> FC Utrecht – 3 Million Euros

A tall defender (190cm) who has a good balance and a bit of pace, he’ll be a good squad player. He is a CBT and can play as a SB too.

OUT:

Kruys (FC Utrecht) -------------> Charlton Athletic – 3.8 Million Euros

Sold him because he’ll probably not feature that much next season with all the new players I bought in. Can play his trade in England, will get a lot of playing time there.

Broerse (FC Utrecht) --------------> Manchester City – 4.6 Million Euros
A player that is not need anymore in the team and can move.

Di Tommaso (FC Utrecht) -------------> Bologna – 4 Million Euros

A good defender, but is a player that will hardly feature next season so I had to cash in on him.

Calabro (FC Utrecht) ----------------> Released

Since I bought Jun, Calabro will be at the bottom of the pecking order, so he I had to go. I couldn’t sell him to a club so I had to release him, hope someone gets him on a free soon before he goes way past his peak.

1995884572_1999999612_Calabro01_Pro_192_221.jpg
Calabro scores his last goal for Utrecht

As you can see I have brought in quite a few player (also a few players went out), this is because of the many matches I will be playing like the CL Qualifiers and if I make it through I go to the knock out stages, then during that time I will be playing 30 league match and Cup matches too. So I need those players who could play in different positions, score goals and have a certain abilities in them that can add to my team and also is good enough to play in the first team when players get injured.

Hope in the 2010 season I won’t be ending up trophy-less again…I want to be challenging for the league and some Cups now…I want to go one better than the 2008 season when I won the UEFA Cup.

Last edited:
Stringer Bell said:
Finally completed the 2009 season. Finished 4th in the league which is good but I could of possibly won the league, if I didn’t lose ridiculously to PSV! When I lost to them I had to win my remaining four games, which I nearly did, but lost one match, which was the last match of the season against Spartak 2-0 and even if I had won it O. Lyon would of won the league anyways, because they won all their four remaining matches!!!

The table looked like this

1 O. Lyon………30……63
---------------------------------
4 FC Utrecht…...30……52
5 Spartak M…....30…....50
6 FC Basel……..30…….46
----------------------------------
R Dynamo Kiev…..30…..30
R Panathiniakos…..30…..11

img0491.jpg
falling foul against PSV

My top scorer were:

Rajcomar………..14
Wisse……………10
Calabro……………9
Ludvigsen………...7
Eremenko…………5
Leitoe……………..4

I got knocked out of the Div 1 First Round to PSV, 2-2 on away goals. Also never made it into Europe this season finished 7th in the league last season…even though I won the UEFA Cup!

Since Rajcomar got injured I gave my other strikers a chance to shine and they have done well, especially Wisse who played really well scoring 10 goals for me, I had to leave Rajcomar on the bench for Wisse to play more games! And also Ludvigsen continued his form through the second half of the season scoring 7 goals from different positions and assisting 4. Calabro and Leitoe both also had a equally good season to…as forwards. Yebda was promoted to the first team this season, for improvement in his ability and excellent form. Also Eremenko was up to his usual antics, causing havoc in midfield. Schut and Agustien formed a good partnership in midfield for me this season…and Vidic usually came on as a sub to add extra steel in my defence.

arjanwisse8dw.jpg
Wisse, the look he stares at defenders eyes

To the transfers:

IN:

Jun (AC Sparta Praha) ---------------> FC Utrecht – 5 Million Euros

I needed a CF that can support Rajcomar up front…and can also score goals instead of relying on Rajcomar all the time. Jun has pace, a good shot accuracy and is good in the air for a player 179 cm tall. He has already scored 2 goals for me during pre-season.

Kolk (Malaga C.F.) ---------------------> FC Utrecht – 6 Million Euros

Kolk is a left-footed SMF who can play as a OMF, WF and CF. His fast, can cross well, aggressive and has a lot of stamina.

Bodde (Ado den Haag) ------------> FC Utrecht – 3 Million Euros

Bodde a SMF, who can also play as a CMF, CBT and SB. Played him as a SB and SMF during a pre-season match and he done really well for me setting up goals from those two different positions. Very good for modest player (ability wise).

Spector (Manchester United) ---------> FC Utrecht – 3 Million Euros

Spector is another versatile player I bought, who is a CBT, but can play as a SB, OMF and a CF. Only 23 he can turn into a very good player and a useful one.

Hagui (Feynoord) ----------------------> FC Utrecht – 3 Million Euros

A tall defender (190cm) who has a good balance and a bit of pace, he’ll be a good squad player. He is a CBT and can play as a SB too.

OUT:

Kruys (FC Utrecht) -------------> Charlton Athletic – 3.8 Million Euros

Sold him because he’ll probably not feature that much next season with all the new players I bought in. Can play his trade in England, will get a lot of playing time there.

Broerse (FC Utrecht) --------------> Manchester City – 4.6 Million Euros
A player that is not need anymore in the team and can move.

Di Tommaso (FC Utrecht) -------------> Bologna – 4 Million Euros

A good defender, but is a player that will hardly feature next season so I had to cash in on him.

Calabro (FC Utrecht) ----------------> Released

Since I bought Jun, Calabro will be at the bottom of the pecking order, so he I had to go. I couldn’t sell him to a club so I had to release him, hope someone gets him on a free soon before he goes way past his peak.

1995884572_1999999612_Calabro01_Pro_192_221.jpg
Calabro scores his last goal for Utrecht

As you can see I have brought in quite a few player (also a few players went out), this is because of the many matches I will be playing like the CL Qualifiers and if I make it through I go to the knock out stages, then during that time I will be playing 30 league match and Cup matches too. So I need those players who could play in different positions, score goals and have a certain abilities in them that can add to my team and also is good enough to play in the first team when players get injured.

Hope in the 2010 season I won’t be ending up trophy-less again…I want to be challenging for the league and some Cups now…I want to go one better than the 2008 season when I won the UEFA Cup.

Hi pal,

some interesting signings there, good to see the goals were shared around last season too.

Santi Kolk sounds an interesting buy.

db

denirobob said:
Hi pal,

some interesting signings there, good to see the goals were shared around last season too.

Santi Kolk sounds an interesting buy.

db

Thanks

Yep Kolk is a good player, bought him cause he can play in four different postions, his 29 now and at his peak but his ability is still good and a bit of training will keep that up.

I'm happy i bought him because Eremenko is injured now :(

I have started a new ML with Saint-Ettienne.
Started in division two with four french teams and four Italian teams (St-Etienne, Nantes, Nice, Sochaux, Palermo, Fiorentina, Cagliari and Reggina). Div 1 is Italo-French too. After five matches i'm top of the table: 4 wins and a draw, Nantes and Palermo are one point behind St-Etienne.
St-Etienne is a team with lots of young players. I rotate a lot round three very good defensive corner stones: Zokora (DMF, SB or CB), Ndour (SB) and Ilunga (SB).
Other good players: Mendy, Gomis and Marin.
My defense is splendid...

Meanwhile Wigan Athletic are playing their difficult third season (the second in the premiership). Currently fifth two points behind the leaders (Liverpool and Chelsea).
Played three matches in the qualifying group phase of the WEFA Cup: a 0-1 win in Galatasaray, a 3-0 win home against La Coruna (who was the better team) and a 1-5 thrashing against VFB Stuttgart.
I bought two players: CB Gabriël Milito and the versatile Iranian Karini (CF, SMF, OMF).

Quick Update

1076153322592.jpeg
Eremenko Jr. injury blow

Eremenko Jr, my potent playmaker, has been injured for 5 weeks in a game against Ajax. The foul was like any other foul, but he got a red injury for it :( But i've got Kolk, Knooper and Ludgivsen that can take his place, but none of them will be as natural in causing havoc to defences as him.

Hope they can do a good job for me.

Quick Update

roy_roque_ddp_140804.jpg
Santa Cruz scores again, to seals another win for Bayern

Bayern are currently on a crazy winning streake in my ML. They have won 7 games in a row, with Santa Cruz there top scorer. And the thing is, i've got them in the next game and i have to win that game to shorten there 9 point gap between me and them.

1st Bayern Munich.....7.....22
4th FC Utrecht........7.....15

Two season ago they finished 14th, last season they finished 10th...don't know why they are doing so well now!!!

Last edited:
Quick Update

140719_UEFA_CHAMPIONS_LEAGUE_DRAW_GNV1044051dcc2ca30.jpg
A step closer to the mighty cup of Europe for Utrecht

I am through to the Champions League group stage after finishing first in the Qualifiers against Juventus, AS Roma and Liverpool. A bit of a bumpy start having drawn three games in a row. Two of those draws were from goals scored in the last five minutes against Juventus and Roma. Had a brilliant 4-0 win against Liverpool at home :D

1 FC Utrecht....6....12
2 Juventus........6.....9
3 A.S. Roma....6.....7
4 Liverpool......6.....4

Rajcomar and Jun has formed a very good partnership in the competition, scoring seven goals all together. Rajcomar on four goals and Jun on three. Hope they can jeep it up to the latter stages :)

Last edited:
season3_m1.jpg

In a fitting start to the third season, Raul Tamudo picked up the Pichichi award for topping last years scoring charts, but ultimately his day was ruined by his opposite number at the other end, who despite being equally small in stature, produced a memorable big game performance.

season3_m1d.jpg
say 'Manchego'

Mr Simao faced with Virgiligo Teixeira defintely missing out, drafted in Glenn Loovens in a debutant defensive partnership with Alves. Matabuena was given a man marking role on De La Pena, as the Madeirans attempted to outwit Espanyol's 4-2-3-1 formation.

Things began brightly for the visitors, as early in the 1st half, Kameni pulled off a great one handed save to deny Pacheco's low drive. The Cameroonian stopper had to be aware not long after, as Lobaton almost broke the deadlock with a scuffed shot that narrowly missed the post.

Espanyol rejuvinated after the restart pressed forward and got their reward after Tamudo's textbook finish on 51 minutes. The pintsize Spaniard almost doubled the lead moments later, hitting the far post after some good work by Maxi.

7 minutes later, Esteves worked hard on the right, dispossed Fredson and swung in an angled cross, that Lobaton met to head home.

season3_m1c.jpg
Lobaton beats Kameni on the turn

On 69 minutes, after failing to deal adequately with a corner, Moulongui was given time to play in Lobaton who was lurking on the edge of the box. In one continious movement, he swivelled and fired a shot on the turn that hit the back of the net with Kameni rooted to the spot. The sheer delight on the Peruvian's face graphically illustrated what the goal meant both to him, his teammates and the supporters and seemed to knock all the stuffing out of the Catalans. The Portuguese held firm for the remainder of the game to record their first ever opening day victory and give Mr Simao something to finally smile about.

season3_m1b.jpg
Lobaton speaks to the media

------

In other Division 2 results, a Tote Hat trick for Malaga gave the coastal side a perfect start, Nihat hit two for Sociedad and Sergio Garcia and Manchev both notched one a piece for Levante.

Albacete 1 Levante 2 : Malaga 3 Getafe 1 : Numancia 1 Sociedad 2

legacalcio.jpg

Serie B Week 14 Preview

Divisional Title In Verona's Grasp

Hellas Verona go into the final round of matches knowing that avoiding defeat in Vicenza will earn them the Serie B title.

Andrea Cossu's late equaliser at Livorno last week kept Verona's lead over Atalanta at two points, which combined with their superior goal difference means that a single point will be enough to take the title this weekend, regardless of events in Bergamo. Vicenza, however, will not be wanting to do neighbours Verona any favours in what is sure to be a heated encounter, meaning that this is far from a forgone conclusion.

There's little tension to be found elsewhere. Perugia host Torino in the knowledge that they are already destined to prop up the rest of the table by some distance, while the game between Genoa and Livorno offers only the prospect of Livorno beating Genoa to 5th position.

Team News...

training1.jpg
padoin.jpg

Erjon Bogdani was photographed back in training for Verona after the injury suffered at Livorno, but he is still expected to miss the game in Vicenza, perhaps resting for the Serie B Cup final in two weeks. Volan Behrami also picked up a knock but should at least make the bench for the local derby.

An intriguing scenario surrounds Vicenza's left-sided youngster Simone Padoin, who has been co-owned by Atalanta and Vicenza but is rumoured to be a future target for Verona. However, he may also miss the derby if a thigh injury does not clear up in time.

Atalanta have a full squad to choose from for their home fixture, in which Cagliari's Gianfranco Zola is expected to bid farewell to a sparkling career.

atalantatrain.jpg
zola.jpg

Serie B Fixtures, Week 14

Atalanta v Cagliari
Perugia v Torino
Genoa v Livorno
Vicenza v Verona

Sorry, can't post my updates at the moment. Just concentrating on my option file, too much to do :/

That's understandable ;)

MY file is what has kept me from playing a ML for 2-3 months now! :D

Well I just finished the very first version of v4 so maybe I can start playing the ML again for a bit. By the way, I gave you a little menntion in the credits ;)

Great job on your option file Riot. Hope you get many ppl downloading it.

What did I do to deserve any credit for your file??

And yeah... just enjoy the game for a while now man. ;)

Maritimo stay on right road despite detours

H v Numancia 0-0

Numancia played a physical high tempo game which was effective enough to knock Maritimo out of their stride. Jadid went closest with two efforts well palmed away by the goalkeeper, but the away side managed to restrict the space for the Madeirans to play in.

Numancia's only shot on target was actually the closest of the game after French defender Stéphane Pignol hit the post from a tight angle.

other results :

Levante 2 Getafe 1 / Sociedad 3 Albacete 1 / Malaga 3 Espanyol 1

-

H v Levante 0-1
Sergio Garcia 69

season3_m3.jpg
Garcia celebrates

Levante looked like serious title contenders after ultimately overcoming a spririted and fierce challenge from
the Portuguese. Both defences were on top form for large parts of the game, as a meagre total of 4 shots each on target testifies.

Sergio Garcia netted the all important goal after being fed in by Jofre with less than a quarter of the game remaining. Esteves almost took home a point on 75 minutes but his drilled effort was superbly tipped away for a corner by the impressive Cavallero.

other results :

Getafe 1 Albacete 2 / Espanyol 1 Sociedad 1 / Numancia 2 Malaga 1

-

A v Getafe 0-1
Mouloungui 65

season3_m4.jpg
N'doye - cheeky chappy

Maritimo gained their second win of the season after a hard fought victory against a tenacious Getafe side.
After failing to make a breakthrough in the first half, Mr Simao switched things around, taking off Lobaton, bringing on Wenio, and pushing Pacheco into the second strikers role. On 65 minutes, a corner wasn't properly cleared by the Spanish, and a clever backheel by N'Doye was swept home by Mouloungui from all of 18 yards.

A late free kick by Pachon hit the top of the bar, but that was all the home side could muster as the game drew to a close.

other results :

Levante 0 Sociedad 1 / Albacete 1 Malaga 4 / Numancia 2 Espanyol 1

Table after 4 matches......

Sociedad 10
Levante 9
Malaga 9
Maritimo 7
Numancia 7
Albacete 3
Espanyol 1
Getafe 0

legacalcio.jpg

Serie B 04/05 - Week 14

atalantaceleb.jpg

Drama As Atalanta Triumph

Atalanta emerged as champions on a tense final day in Serie B, pipping Hellas Verona to the title with a 2-1 victory over Cagliari.

The nerrazzuri owe a debt of gratitude to Vicenza, who took a 1-0 first-half lead in their scrappy derby with leaders Verona when Massimo Margiotta finished calmly under pressure from several defenders. The Vicenza tifosi taunted their opponents with a repertoire of "Forza Atalanta" chants, culminating in a roar rippling around the Stadio Romeo Menti when the teams left the field at half-time. News had filtered through from Bergamo, where Atalanta were 2-0 up, and the locals were delighting in the knowledge that their title-chasing neighbours were going to miss out.

Nervy Verona duly increased the pressure in the second half, until a golden chance fell to forward Adaílton in the 77th minute. Racing clear onto Benito Carbone's perfectly weighted through ball, the Brazilian let fly with his trusty left foot... only to see his effort whistle agonisingly past the far post.

vervic.jpg
miss.jpg

Over in Bergamo, Atalanta didn't exactly have it all their own way. A comfortable 2-0 lead was halved by Cagliari's Mauro Esposito, netting from the last of many magical assists in Gianfranco Zola's career, and suddenly Atalanta's grasp on the title was slender. Fortunately they were able to cling on for the remainder of the match, until the final score arrived from Vicenza and the party could begin.

timserieb.jpg

Serie B Final Standings

1. 28pts Atalanta
2. 27pts Verona
-------------------
3. 24pts Torino
4. 20pts Cagliari
5. 19pts Genoa
6. 17pts Livorno
7. 17pts Vicenza
8. 6 pts Perugia

Quick Update

switzerland_soccer_uefa_draw.sff_180.jpg
The draw for the group stage

This is the group i have been drawn in for the Champions League group stage:

O.Lyon
Spartak Moscow
Galatasaray
FC Utrecht

Hmmm seems like i am in familar territory :D But anyways it's still a realistic group even though they are all in the same league as me...it would of been really good if i was playing in another league and i was put in that group.

I am hoping to go through to the second round of the tournament, but can't underestimate the teams i am playing though ;)

nerf said:
legacalcio.jpg

Serie B 04/05 - Week 14

atalantaceleb.jpg

Drama As Atalanta Triumph

Atalanta emerged as champions on a tense final day in Serie B, pipping Hellas Verona to the title with a 2-1 victory over Cagliari.

The nerrazzuri owe a debt of gratitude to Vicenza, who took a 1-0 first-half lead in their scrappy derby with leaders Verona when Massimo Margiotta finished calmly under pressure from several defenders. The Vicenza tifosi taunted their opponents with a repertoire of "Forza Atalanta" chants, culminating in a roar rippling around the Stadio Romeo Menti when the teams left the field at half-time. News had filtered through from Bergamo, where Atalanta were 2-0 up, and the locals were delighting in the knowledge that their title-chasing neighbours were going to miss out.

Nervy Verona duly increased the pressure in the second half, until a golden chance fell to forward Adaílton in the 77th minute. Racing clear onto Benito Carbone's perfectly weighted through ball, the Brazilian let fly with his trusty left foot... only to see his effort whistle agonisingly past the far post.

vervic.jpg
miss.jpg

Over in Bergamo, Atalanta didn't exactly have it all their own way. A comfortable 2-0 lead was halved by Cagliari's Mauro Esposito, netting from the last of many magical assists in Gianfranco Zola's career, and suddenly Atalanta's grasp on the title was slender. Fortunately they were able to cling on for the remainder of the match, until the final score arrived from Vicenza and the party could begin.

timserieb.jpg

Serie B Final Standings

1. 28pts Atalanta
2. 27pts Verona
-------------------
3. 24pts Torino
4. 20pts Cagliari
5. 19pts Genoa
6. 17pts Livorno
7. 17pts Vicenza
8. 6 pts Perugia

well done mate, how do u think Verona can cope in Serie A ?

Stringer Bell said:
Quick Update

switzerland_soccer_uefa_draw.sff_180.jpg
The draw for the group stage

This is the group i have been drawn in for the Champions League group stage:

O.Lyon
Spartak Moscow
Galatasaray
FC Utrecht

Hmmm seems like i am in familar territory :D But anyways it's still a realistic group even though they are all in the same league as me...it would of been really good if i was playing in another league and i was put in that group.

I am hoping to go through to the second round of the tournament, but can't underestimate the teams i am playing though ;)

thats a bit shite isnt it, you thought theyd mix it up a bit. So are the other 3 groups like that too ?

db

denirobob said:
thats a bit shite isnt it, you thought theyd mix it up a bit. So are the other 3 groups like that too ?

db

Yeah i know :(

There is one group i can't remeber which has AC Milan, Ajax, Villareal and Arsenal...wouldn't mind swooping places with Ajax ;)

denirobob said:
well done mate, how do u think Verona can cope in Serie A ?
With difficulty (I hope ;)). The calibre of player is not really good enough, but the squad is comfortable with the system and the defence is fairly solid. I reckon we can scrap for enough points to survive, which will be the only objective really.

nerf said:
With difficulty (I hope ;)). The calibre of player is not really good enough, but the squad is comfortable with the system and the defence is fairly solid. I reckon we can scrap for enough points to survive, which will be the only objective really.

la salvezza.

The Miracle of Hellas Verona ;)

That's very shit and I hope Konami fix this as one of those another ML structure thigns that I talked about before. IT's stupid that you go to WEFA championship and even face ONE team from your own league in the first ruond let alone 2 or 3.

Very stupid and disappoiting hopefully it'll be fixed.

timcup.jpg

Serie B Cup Final Preview
badgeat.jpg
Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio versus Hellas Verona F.C.
badgehv.jpg

marcolini.jpg

Marcolini: The Double Is Ours

Atalanta winger Michele Marcolini insists that his team will complete the league and cup double when they face Hellas Verona in the Serie B Cup Final on Sunday.

Speaking to the press about his side's chances, Marcolini showed confidence in his teammates. "I believe we will win the final, because this team is strong enough to beat anyone in this competition. The squad is together and we want to achieve the double for each other, as well as for the fans."

Atalanta were unable to beat Verona in either of the two meetings in Serie B this season, but 29 year old Marcolini thinks the nerrazzuri hold the pyschological advantage. "Verona were not expecting to lose the title", he said. "That will hurt them. Winning it has boosted our confidence and we will go into the final in much better spirit."

Marcolini went on to identify Serie B top scorer Andrea Cossu as Verona's danger man. "Obviously Cossu has scored goals this season, so we will need to keep an eye on him. But we have Igor Budan, Riccardo Montolivo, Andrea Lazzari... we have more players who are match winners in their own right, which you need in one-off games like this."

Team News...

Serie B champions Atalanta, who eased past Cagliari and Genoa in earlier rounds, remain injury-free in the approach to the cup final. Greek striker Lampros Choutos may be in contention for a starting place following his goal in last week's title-clinching victory, otherwise Igor Budan will continue in attack.

training2.jpg

Meanwhile, injury worries Erjon Bogdani and Valon Behrami appear to be fully recovered after missing the derby defeat, and both could return to Verona's starting eleven at the expense of Rosina and Iunco. The gialloblú conquered Vicenza and Torino on the way to the final and will no doubt be desperate for revenge following their narrow failure in the Serie B title chase.

Back
Top Bottom