The PES4 Master League Thread - YEAH!

PLF said:
Zambrotta is amazing!!!!

Is he on normal defensive or HIGH?
Also I noticed full-backs just seem to tire more but it depends on how much you run with the guy with your hands on R1 all the time?

other than that... i can't think of much more you can do! Maybe NOT give him attacking arrows because in PES4 I noticed fullbacks do the overlapping run anyways if you dont give ANY arrows and they dont get caught up as mucha s when you give attacking arrow.

Zambrotta is on normal defensive. Well, Zambo is very good at skinning players while holding r1, so I regularly use it with him.

Yes, he still overlaps without the arrows. He doesn't overlap Zambo-style though, as he does in reallife or with an arrow forward.
You're right about the being caught out by opposing attackers some times, in tough matches or if I notice him being caught out i tend to remove the arrow anyway.

what does your signature mean??

Zambrotta for player of the year? or fans player of the year.

he should've got that anyways.... last year he was Juve's best player.

Officially started my second season in Div1 as Cagliari. I started with a tough one against last season's champions, Inter. It ended up 1-1, with us coming from behind.
Then i had my first WEFA Cup game, in the group stage against Liverpool. It's cool. It has a different look to it, with different text and a WEFA logo etc. I think Villarreal are also in my group, although i can't remember the 4th team. A good realistic mix though.
Back to the game though. I was 1-0 up and things were looking good until Cissé netted an equaliser. Eventually the cruel blow came as Baros finished a stunning goal for Liverpool. The ball was crossed in, and Baros lunged forwards tipping the volley over my keeper. :( All is not lost though. I reckon we can get through the group stage.

Last edited:
PLF said:
what does your signature mean??

Zambrotta for player of the year? or fans player of the year.

he should've got that anyways.... last year he was Juve's best player.

Zambrotta for the golden ball award -> best european player of the year based on the votes of journalists. The award which Nedved won last year.
Didn't we talk about Zambrotta as well in the editing forum ?

Anyway, are the ML regulars here using a lot of attacking/defensive arrows for their players or not?. I used to have a lot of arrows, but I have noticed that using little arrows makes for a much more balanced and realistic game.

zambrotta is fake, only good at running, if he is getting the golden ball, i should have been awarded the platinum ball

Don Domenico said:
Zambrotta for the golden ball award -> best european player of the year based on the votes of journalists. The award which Nedved won last year.
Didn't we talk about Zambrotta as well in the editing forum ?

Anyway, are the ML regulars here using a lot of attacking/defensive arrows for their players or not?. I used to have a lot of arrows, but I have noticed that using little arrows makes for a much more balanced and realistic game.

hi mate

I have personally found that removing arrows particularly on CBs and Central/Def mids ensures a more compact/organised formation and a better game

cheers

db

hoorn said:
zambrotta is fake, only good at running, if he is getting the golden ball, i should have been awarded the platinum ball
There are 3 possible conditions with you:

1) You haven't watched Zambro much and just commenting on one or two games where you've seen him

2) You're a bitter Milan or Inter or Torino fan and just jealous and deep down you know he's amazing

3) You're just an idiot ;)

@Don, I also found that having less arrows makes your team more balanced and less risky during counter-attacks as more players are back.

If you put too many arrows the player positions you've spent hours/minutes setting doesn't even seem to work because players aren't really there anymore because of all the arrows draggin them forward and back and all.... so i'm startin to use LESS and LESS attacking arrows as my ML goes on.

I only have attackin arrows currently on my forwards.. and on ONE of my wingers.

Argghhh! Lost 1-3 to Real Zaragoza in my second WEFA Cup match. I'm going to have to kick some serious arse in the remaining games. My group includes: Liverpool FC, Real Zaragoza, and FC Porto.

Arrows. I use them on wide players who i instruct to cut in. I don't really use them on the midfield backwards, unless there is an OMF i particularly want to get forward. I find PES4 does a good job of positioning and runs thus far. I use the manual attack/defend status bar thing a lot though.

Arrows. I use them on the side players. If the fullback's arrow is going forward and outward than the SMF (from that side) has an arrow forward and inward and vice versa on the other side of the field.

Things are getting better for my Real Sociedad team. Had a (lucky) 1-1 at Nou Camp ag&inst Barca, then a good 2-0 win against Atletico Madrid (with Kovacevic finally scoring a goal and providing an assist). Then i played Villareal (away) and again drew 1-1. It was my best match up-to-date. Was largely the beter team but got one counter in the first half 1-0 for them (Forlan if Man Utd fans can believe it). Was lucky in the beginning of the 2d half that they missed a huge chance and after that dominated them totally wicg resulted in an equaliser by Nihat. Should have won that match. Sociedad are currently sixth, which is not bad considering the tough start...

Thanks for all the comments on the arrows everyone. Currently i'm only using arrwos on the most forward pushed of two strikers on the pitch. On Nedved(omf on the left),cutting in and one arrow backwards and arrows for Blasi diagonal backwards to each side (dmf). Going to play a match without arrows for Blasi though.

I made up a team called 1860 London thier kit is made by nike, they are sponsored by KiK and there badge has a symbol of a phoenix, with 1860 on top and london at the bottom.
There home kit is white and black and the away is green and red.

The three players i choose was Andy Ried (Irl), Ameobi (Eng) and Cristián GONZÁLEZ (Ugy).

I am playing in a english structed league like this:

DIV 1
Arsenal
Aston Villa
Birmingham
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
Charlton Athletic
Chelsea
Everton
Fulham
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Middlesbrough
Newcastle United
Portsmouth
Southampton
Tottenham Hotspur

DIV2
Norwich City
Crystal Palace
West Bromwich Albion
1860 London (thats me :p )
Celtic
Rangers
PES United

Still top of the league and won round 1 of the coppa italia. Had a spectacular 2-2 draw against Cagliari in the league, I drew the game after being 2-0 behind.

Anyway, i'm now entering the off-season. Wondering who to buy.
I have targeted the midfielders Marek Jankulovski, Enzo Maresca and Montolivo from Atalanta.
Don't want them all though, just one and MAYBE two.
Just have doubts about Maresca and Jankulovski on how to fit them into my side.
Any ideas anyone?

Nevermind, I have bought creative midfielder (19 years old) Ricardo Montolivo from atalanta. I decided to wait with buying Jankulovski as he will be free to get on a bosman at the end of the season.

Montolivo made a sensational debut as he scored with his first touch for juventus as a subsitute. I decided to start him against Udinese in the second leg of the coppa against them (first one ended 0-0 away at udine) as I fielded a semi-second-string side. Montolivo showing a lot of moments of magic in Nedved's free role from the left (I was unable to field Olivera as all uruguayans were out on international duty).
The udinese match would be a great coppa match again, I opened the scoring through Ibrahimovic (who would miss a lot of big chances throughout the match). Udinese drew level through Pazienza on the stroke of half-time, the draw would see them through. Somewhere between the 50th-60th minute first team regular Del Piero entered as a sub for Kapo, and Del Piero scored immediately to make it 2-1 in my favour.
Ironically though, It was to be predicted, Marek Jankulovski fired in the 2-2 in the final minute which left my second choise defence in awe.

So i'm out of the coppa, i'm more amused than bitter though about Jankulovski ironically scoring the equaliser. Great stuff.

Anyway, Montolivo after his 1,5 first matches developed a lot most of his stats on 50% already. Can't wait for the off-season to train this guy. Anyone know if you can train a player for a different position in off-season as well?

Lot's of players are already suffering from the decreasing of stats sadly, Del Piero and Thuram of my first team are experiencing a drop in stats slowly followed by Cannavaro and Nedved. A lot of the old guard on the bench (Ferrara, Montero, Pessoto, Iuliano namely) are also dropping in stats. It seems i will slowly have to integrate younger players, in defence as well.

Last edited:
No unfortunately you can't train players into new positions in off-season or anytime for that matter.

but it really is satisfying turning an average striker like Zairi of Sochaux to a great player with many things in 80s after several seasons of off-season training and football.

Jeremy Mathieu of Sochaux is also brilliant ;)

@Don, Pazzini of Atalanta the 18 year old striker was hugely talented in CM03/04.... haven't tried him in PES4 yet to see what his potential is but i reckon once i start my ML with Lecce, Udinese later in a month or two i'll give him a try.

What do you think of Sulley Muntari of Udinese??? I saw him play in real life once and I was very impressed then checked him out in PES4 and they had done their research right i think ;) , he had good potential curve... improving a lot every match.

Yeah but from what I saw of him.... he's a very good PASSER of the ball.... with his left and can be a more even attacking force than Appiah who by large is a def-midfielder.

But Muntari seems to have good qualities so he can play as anywhere in midfield maybe even.

Okay finished my first season and won the serie A scudetto, on goal difference from Inter! Inter really pushed me towards the end of the season, I could not spill any points, which made for some nervous games at the end(this never happened in pes3).
Del Piero finished top scorer ( can't see that happening in real life) with 28(or 29) goals, Trezeguet second top scorer with 24 and Nedved was in the scorer rankings as well with Ibrahimovic just missing out (who was slightly dissapointing this year).
Nedved lost the top assister award just to Veron, by one assist. The assist counting have gone for the worse though in pes4, the assist only being counted when it's a first or second touch goal.
Del Piero and Camoranesi (not sure about Zambrotta..) also in the assist rankings.
Del Piero awarded mvp of juve.

Started off-season trained a bit and had to play Livorno before the negotiations started. Afterwards i wanted to buy Jankulovski on a bosman, but it seems i'm too late as he's already renewing his contract. I will still buy him though probably.
I want to inject some youth in my team(at the back), anyone any ideas on who to buy?
Also can it be right that no players have retired this season, not even 38 year old Ferrara or Costacurta of Milan?
I might not renew some contracts of certain players, not decided yet.

One final question about player developing in team training, as it seems you can only train players so much in team training. How do you see when you're unable to train something any further? Also does that just apply to the current week or not?

-Thanks in advance.

Morning MLers. DD you can train one player in all activities only once per week. I imagine if a player has reached his peak he will not increase his stats anymore. You will realise when you check after training. However, once he has reached his peak, his stats will only go down, so you'll have to keep training him if you want him to stay in shape.

I have a question. I have been very puzzled lately. I have a defender whose (red) stamina line/bar isn't decreasing/going away after several games rested. His stamina stat is 80 btw. His green bar is fine. Also, when i view him in Set formation in the main ML menu, his red bar isn't there, yet when i view him in the pre-match screen or in-match screen the red bar is there. It's at about 70% too. Anyone know what this is all about? Otherwise i reckon it's some kind of bug, no?

Amazingly i got through the first WEFA Cup group stage. I almost gave up after losing and drawing games. Mathematically, and with a bit of help from the top team, if i won my remaining 2 games i could qualify in second place in the group. Indeed i did too. :) Just goes to show. Don't give up, as Kate Bush once said (was it Kate Bush? :mrgreen: )
I', not to keen on the WEFA cup set up. You can't see the group tables, apart from when you start a game. Also, what's with the fixtures? You get straight WEFA cup matches in a row, every week. It's a bit silly

Last edited:
Don Domenico said:
. Afterwards i wanted to buy Jankulovski on a bosman, but it seems i'm too late as he's already renewing his contract

I noticed this after my first season too. I had a list full of players with 1 year left on their contracts. I was all ready to snap them up, but when i went into negotiations they had all renewed their contracts :( Mofos!!

I'm doing currently fine with Real Sociedad in my ML. After a shaky start (lots of draws) i'm in third position at the moment. Real Madrid is first and Valencia second (they were leaders until they lost against Real Sociedad).
I had something very weird. One of my most valuable players is the Korean left midfielders Chun Lee So (or something similar). He has the hightest average quote of my team (6,9, which is very high IMHO). In the derby against Athletic de Bilbao which i won by 3-0, he provided 3 assists...Next against Valencia he also provided the assist to the only goal and afterwards after Ossasuna the same...After that match i was thinking that he could be the top assister. I went looking and found out that he had only two assists...weird.
Oh and i have a very good tip for a young forward. I'm also playing a league with Wolfsburg (nice team, lots of quality players... i will play my next ML with them). They have a young striker who is terrific: the 20 year old Argentinian Meseguez...

Hello gerd, any ideas on my weird stamina problem above?

VfL Wolfsburg also have D'Alessandro who i remember you liking gerd ;)
I too am already thinking who my next ML will be with. I need to pick a club which does well in it's own league (title contenders), and qualifies for Europe, but aren't serious giants. The fact is, i normally qualify for Europe/ challenge for the title. I would like to choose a licensed club though, but i may have to consider a non licensed/silly callname team too.
I'm thinking PSV fits the bill well. Big in Holland and always in Europe. PSG is another idea. Currently playing a Serie A ML at the moment. How about Spain? although not Barca, Real Madrid, or Valencia, as they're too big. Perhaps Sevilla. :-k

I have finaly finnished my first season with 1860 London in ML on 6*.
I finished 3rd in Div2, 4 points behind southamton. I had southamton on the last day of the season even if i beat them i would not of been promoted i would of been 1 point behind. I am happy because i wasn't ready yet to go up i wanted to build a proper team before going up.

The good thing is that the loan signing of Owusu Abeyie turned my season around. I was 6th in the league before the mid-season negeotions and his 8 goals (top scorer) put me 3rd in the league and his 3 goals in the Div 2 cup got me to the semi finals which i lost 4-2 on egg to west brom. I might have to sign him but if i can't it looks like another loan deal. I am also going to try and loan Ambrosini from AC Milan the Itilian hasn't been favoured in the milan squad so hopefuly a loan to 1860 London can help his cause to prove how good he is to Carlo Ancelotti.
I will be signing more players of course i'll tell you lot who i bought in the near future. Another good news is Castolo has signed a new 3 year deal he will be with 1860 London until 2007.

1860 London has signed a 10 year deal with Nike to design thier kits and also Mitsubishi Motors will be 1860 London new sponsors for 10 years also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prof, i'm not sure how you can resolve your stamina problem. It could well be that i have a similar "problem" but in the opposite way. I have one player (the above mentioned Korean SMF who plays wonderfully good) who has played every match since the beginning of the season and he has no red stamina bar...nothing at all. His green bar decreases during matches but when i start a new match his green bar always is at 100%. Since i'm a much more slower ML player than the majority of ML posters i should say that he has played something like 16 games without resting or without being substituted.

Yes Prof, i'm very fond of PES D'allessandro (never saw him play IRL). I decided to play with Wolfsburg because they have a Belgian coach (and a very good one too/ Eric Gerets) and because of D'allessandro. It turns out that the team has plenty of good players: Thiam (DMF), Hoogland or Hofland a former PSV player (CB), Quiroga (CB), Rytter (SB), Petrow (WF), Brdaric (CFW). But Meseguez realy is a hidden gem. He has scored 8 goals in 9 games which is fabulous for me...

The Koreans do have good stamina, but 16 games is a bit odd. You do have the fatigue option on? I'm pretty sure mine is a bug.

I forget to mention, i had my keeper sent off with a straight red in a league game. He came charging out of the area and brought down a striker. It was cool to see.

These are the players i bought:

Name: Pederson
Nation: Denmark
Former Club: Bolton
Postion: CF
Cost of player: Free
Salary: 428

Name: Antonio Lòpez - Picture
Nation: Spain
Fomer Club: Atletico De Madrid
Postion: SB SMF
Salary: 570

Name: Carter
Nation: England
Postion: CMF SMF
Former Club: Birmingham City
Salary: 390

Name: Ibrahim Toraman / Fake Name: Imgham Torhan - Picture
Nation: Turkey
Postion: SBW CBT SB SMF OMF
Former Club: Besiktas
Cost of player: 3344
Salary: 450

Name: Mario Pérez
Nation: Mexico
Postion: SB SMF
Former Club: necaxa
Cost of Player: 3090
Salary: 450

Name: Diomede
Nation: France
Postion: WF CF
Fomer Club: AC Ajaccio
Cost of Player: 4576
Salary: 557

Thats six player i bought which i payed a total of 11010 for.
Thats money well spent ;)

you bought BERNARD DIOMEDE??? :shock: Lol are you mad???????

@Gerd, yes Mesenguez left for Wolfsburg when he was 19 and is quite pacey good player.

Martin Petrov is also very good , i'm also already thinking about my next ML but I think i'll be playing with Sochaux for at least a few more seasons which will take a month or so for me as I dont go near ps2 for weeks sometimes.

Prof, of course i had the fatigue option on...
Yesterday i played two more matches with him...which makes 18 matches in a row (without ever being replaced).
Lost agaist Sporting Lisboa (who are last...) and in the cup i win the away leg against Porto with 1-2.
Tonight i'm gonna buy some players (or at least, i will try). Real Sociedad are currently fifth.

Back
Top Bottom