The Official Transfers Thread [OFFICIAL LINKS ONLY]

BBYgDVzCUAAjXj1.png:large

:LMAO::LMAO::LMAO:

I hear Alan Shearer grumbling in the background somewhere...I agree it has become a bit ridiculous now, with the potential for it to become way more ridiculous if after all that they still can't maintain their EPL status. Wonder how many of the Frenchies have a clause in their contract allowing them to leave if they get relegated. :CONFUSE:

Interesting get for Galatasaray btw. Will be interesting to see if the experience Sneijder and Drogba bring in will pay off for them. Kinda wonder how much is true of the rumors he snubbed a Chelsea offer to return, though I am more inclined to think that is a media fabrication.

Last edited:
Being a non English speaker i always wonder about the use of the word "snubbed".
To me it as a conotation of Drogba being too good for Chelsea...(but i might be wrong, that is the hardest part about foreign languages)
If this isn't a media fabrication (and i agree with dplane that it will be a media fabrication), then i don't think Drogba feels too good for Chelsea. He just made a fantastic carreer for Chelsea, a carreer that ended with an absolute climax. Saying farewell atthat moment was a very sensible and classy thing to do. Why spoil his own legacy by returning ?

PS: this looks like a reply to your post dplane, it isn't really. So don't take this personal...The wordt "snubbed" provoked my post, but your post merely triggered something i've been thinking for a long time...i'm intrigued by that word...

Being a non English speaker i always wonder about the use of the word "snubbed".
To me it as a conotation of Drogba being too good for Chelsea...(but i might be wrong, that is the hardest part about foreign languages)
If this isn't a media fabrication (and i agree with dplane that it will be a media fabrication), then i don't think Drogba feels too good for Chelsea. He just made a fantastic carreer for Chelsea, a carreer that ended with an absolute climax. Saying farewell atthat moment was a very sensible and classy thing to do. Why spoil his own legacy by returning ?

PS: this looks like a reply to your post dplane, it isn't really. So don't take this personal...The wordt "snubbed" provoked my post, but your post merely triggered something i've been thinking for a long time...i'm intrigued by that word...

Keeping with that idea, being an American English speaker, I've never understood the phrase "hits out at." For example, "Ferguson hits out at Benitez." Yes, I understand what it is implying, but why not just say "respectfully disagrees with" or "argues"? "Hits out at" implies fault on either the behalf of the giver or the behalf of the receiver within the framework of the discussion, whereas surely both individuals can share their own opinion and not necessarily demean the other person. All in all, it just seems another way English (as in the country) media mislead the public to sell papers or get hits on websites. But I could be wrong. Perhaps the phrase means something different to those from across the pond? An explanation would be nice.

i can't offer much help concerning "hits out at", but to snub comes from italian "snobbare" wich means "treating someone else with disrespect on the assumtpion of your own superiority (moral, intellectual, or phisycal)". the original root of the italian verb is the latin expression "Sine NOBilitate esse" wich litterally means "acting without nobility" (or class).
that should satify your curiosity, gerd. ;)

so, up until this point this transfer window brought to palermo sorrentino, boselli, formica and dossena. theese are the men who should save palermo from relegation.
we. are. screwed.

LOL! i love that man, but i would never want him to coach my team. we wouldn't have a chance to survive in serie a with him in charge.
i'm a fan of zdenek, but i'm not blind :P

Zeman the reason why i start supporting Lecce (well one of there was one other strong reason for that LOL)

You're not a million miles away, but usually it's not meant in that context. The British tabloid press mostly print sensationalist nonsense and if they can squeeze the slightest bit of negativity out of something, they will. But, in the sense of using the word "snubbed" or "snubs" I don't believe it's meant entirely in that way, it's just another way of saying "rejects" or similar, it's just a shorter word and looks a bit more interesting in a headline. It's very commonly used in headlines but when you read the story underneath 90% of the time the story is different.

You could have "player x snubs massive contract to stay at local team", that wouldn't be a player thinking he's above the team he rejected, it's just a language choice, "player x rejects massive contract to stay at local team" would work better, but either are acceptable.

who cares? its all about money and about to being in the WC squad in 14...but wonder Anelka why choosed Juventus, he will have a real competition there

Back
Top Bottom