The Master League adventures thread

Thread is gone a bit flat . . .I'm waiting for transfer updates to start a new ML.
I played my first Europa League game, against Sevilla, and managed to sneak a 1-0 which I was really happy with, but in the very next game against newly-promoted Newcastle, every button-press was delayed and it was just a sapping, frustrating experience.

Tactically, we exploited the space left behind their high midfield perfectly, but every shot was blocked (which is really starting to wind me up), and my striker Chuopo-Moting (who has 83 for heading but is missing the "heading skill") missed every header delivered to him by the crossers (with the "pinpoint crossing skill"). That doesn't seem right to me, that the heading attribute doesn't really seem to help.

It made me realise that nearly all my goals in the previous season were headers from Mbokani, with his "heading" skill. If I try and dribble through the middle on Superstar, it's just... Not allowed. Dribbling away from goal or on the wing, no problem. Dribbling through the middle, not a chance.

I always thought I'd found the right tactic for Hull by playing long balls to the wingers and hitting early crosses, but it's not so much that it was the right tactic - it's just the only way to score on Superstar (in my limited experience).

I also realised I've now got the same problem I've got with FIFA - I can beat Chelsea 4-0, without them making any changes the whole time, but the relegation teams beat me convincingly. It doesn't make sense, especially when Newcastle aren't playing for the draw or anything (the AI isn't saying "we're a newly-promoted team so we need to defend", they just play the same way as they did before).

I lowered the difficulty to Top Player and suddenly there was no button lag, and I was 2-0 up by half time (with them having zero shots).

I've said it before but I feel like completely upgrading the team over the summer has ruined the game for me - previously the difference between Top Player and Superstar was noticeable but not huge, and now, with Top Player removing button lag etc. it's a walkover, and Superstar is an exercise in frustration (even with 85 team spirit, the highest I've ever had).

So yeah, I might park my save for a while! :(

Last edited:
I played my first Europa League game, against Sevilla, and managed to sneak a 1-0 which I was really happy with, but in the very next game against newly-promoted Newcastle, every button-press was delayed and it was just a sapping, frustrating experience.

Tactically, we exploited the space left behind their high midfield perfectly, but every shot was blocked (which is really starting to wind me up), and my striker Chuopo-Moting (who has 83 for heading but is missing the "heading skill") missed every header delivered to him by the crossers (with the "pinpoint crossing skill"). That doesn't seem right to me, that the heading attribute doesn't really seem to help.

It made me realise that nearly all my goals in the previous season were headers from Mbokani, with his "heading" skill. If I try and dribble through the middle on Superstar, it's just... Not allowed. Dribbling away from goal or on the wing, no problem. Dribbling through the middle, not a chance.

I always thought I'd found the right tactic for Hull by playing long balls to the wingers and hitting early crosses, but it's not so much that it was the right tactic - it's just the only way to score on Superstar (in my limited experience).

I also realised I've now got the same problem I've got with FIFA - I can beat Chelsea 4-0, without them making any changes the whole time, but the relegation teams beat me convincingly. It doesn't make sense, especially when Newcastle aren't playing for the draw or anything (the AI isn't saying "we're a newly-promoted team so we need to defend", they just play the same way as they did before).

I lowered the difficulty to Top Player and suddenly there was no button lag, and I was 2-0 up by half time (with them having zero shots).

I've said it before but I feel like completely upgrading the team over the summer has ruined the game for me - previously the difference between Top Player and Superstar was noticeable but not huge, and now, with Top Player removing button lag etc. it's a walkover, and Superstar is an exercise in frustration (even with 85 team spirit, the highest I've ever had).

I understand your points Chris but it's the way ML is designed .. .not much we can do. . . btw have you heard when the transfer updates are due to be out?

Been a while since I last posted here. What platform are you playing on?

The thing about button lag is very strange. I've never experienced it at any level whatsoever. I've been playing on Superstar during my whole ML.

One thing I did notice though, is the strength of newly promoted teams or teams battling relegation. This is a well known characteristic which dates back to at least PES 2011. You can easily beat the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal, only to be schooled by Sunderland in the next round and walk away with a 2-nil or 3-nil defeat where nothing goes your way. This pattern repeats in every other league.

I'm managing RC Strasbourg Alsace in France since the start of my ML. This is my 4th year with the club and I've just won a treble last season: Ligue 1, French Cup and Europa League. However, with a strong squad now with the addition of Draxler to the likes of Martial, Digne and Co, I've started the defence of my Ligue 1 title with some underwhelming results, especialy a 0-1 defeat to the newly promoted Caen side.
It seems they had the upper hand on everything in the match, physically above all. They were beating my players to every ball, they always got there first and seemed to play a high intensity pressing game that didn't drain their stamina at all. Their pressing never subsided and even my fresh players continued to be beat on pace and everything.

So, the odd attribute warping and handicap script unfortunately is alive and well in PES 2017. It's a crying shame that they need this to make the game more difficult (they could at least make it less humiliating and boost the top of the league teams instead of relegation battlers).

Another thing that bugged me is how random and unrealistic the market is. The AI clubs try to sign my players for fees under or around their market value. But when I try to sign their players, I get ridiculous fees of about 40m euros, when the market value of such players are about 15m. So I find it very difficult to do business and many of my players were signed on a free as a consequence of that.

However, I have to say that PES 2017 is the best I've seen from Konami in a long long time. Probably the best since the golden era of the PS2.
There were no shortage of magic moments for me. I was promoted in my first season as 2nd placed from Ligue 2 at the very last match (and depended of another result that did go my way)! And at my latest season I won the Europa League with a last gasp equaliser and winner at injury time after coming 0-2 from behind in the 1st half. It felt very much like United vs Bayern in 1999, with the way I "stole" the title.

In other words, the last time I could get so excited and shouted in celebration all by myself with a PES game must have been 12-13 years ago :LOL:

For me, the key is to play this game when you're really craving it. Let it rest on the shelf for a good 5-6 days and pick it up on a Sunday for a long session. I have to feel inspired and wanting to play a footie game, otherwise it feels I'm just going through the motions with a 5-6 game every night before bed kind of routine, which isn't good.

So yeah, I'd say let it rest for a while and wait for its calling and see if your results are better :)

So yeah, I'd say let it rest for a while and wait for its calling and see if your results are better :)
Oh it will, I can see it happening at the weekend. I'm just starting to get burned out by the faults - and every game is going to have faults. I agree with you, I think it's the best PES in a long time. (I'm genuinely delighted it's lasted me until now.) I'll be switching to FIFA & FM on Saturday, and I'll be burned out by those in about an hour, and, straight back to PES...

The kicker, at the moment, is that I was delighted to get into the Europa League - really excited to get stuck into it - and then out of nowhere, all the little AI niggles seem to have got 10x worse. It's like the opponent's pressure button is suddenly 10x more effective and if I want to score, my only choices are - A) shoot from 40 yards out (and I've never scored from that distance), B) buy another striker with the "heading skill", C) drop the difficulty down to Top Player and win most games comfortably, or D) play full-manual (which doesn't do it for me).

Last edited:
Oh, I know what you mean. Regardless of the team, the AI steps it up at crucial moments. I wound up playing the Europa League in the first place because I was robbed, literally robbed, at the Champions League group stage. The AI gave me hell with difficult games and then in the last 2 group stage rounds I was cheated out of the competition - not stat warping, but actual refereeing issues, which was surprising. First, an Espanyol player dived inside my box (I watched replays and I know the AI dives cause they'd get the odd booking for that) and the dodgy penalty was given. And then at the last round I visited Roma and all I needed was a win, but that was gonna be denied by the ref too: Martial had a disallowed goal where he received a cross and tucked it in side-footed, but the Roma defender received some contact and the ref was quick to whistle for a foul. I was fuming at the decision, but well... it's a breath of fresh air when you get done by the ref for a change, instead of the AI stat warping.

Maybe that was why I had a relatively easier life on the Europa League. Maybe the AI decided that I had already gotten the wrong end of the stick too many times that season :LOL:

As for players with the "heading" skill, I'm not sure you should bother too much about that. My aerial artillery is impressive mainly because I picked up a couple centre-forwards who have the physical attributes (one has 1m90 and 90 for jumping, and the other has 1m96 with a decent leap on him too). The heading skill was something I pursued later on their specific training, but I have to say I didn't see much of a difference.

Oh, BTW, it bugs me also that I receive unrealistic offers as a manager: for instance, I got offered the job at Real Madrid, where Zidane had just led them to win the treble (La Liga, CL and Copa del Rey). So why the hell would they wanna switch managers? Even if I did a terrific job in France with a modest team, it seemed an unrealistic leap, so I refused the job.
This sort of thing seems very random really. Do you also get bizarre job offers?

Oh, BTW, it bugs me also that I receive unrealistic offers as a manager: for instance, I got offered the job at Real Madrid, where Zidane had just led them to win the treble (La Liga, CL and Copa del Rey). So why the hell would they wanna switch managers? Even if I did a terrific job in France with a modest team, it seemed an unrealistic leap, so I refused the job.
This sort of thing seems very random really. Do you also get bizarre job offers?
Yeah, something I've noticed with the managers... I've praised manager movement in every PES thread, and it doesn't happen in FIFA (I imagine the excuse now is that "the Premier League managers are modelled now, you'd never see them if they could get fired") - but...

I went through all the PL and Championship teams last night, because I was interested to see Liverpool sack their manager not long after losing to me (Hull), and... They are the only team to have done it.

So after a year and a half, across the top two leagues in England, only one club has changed their manager (and weirdly, they've done it twice - once after losing to me, and once again six months later)!

At the end of my first season, I was offered the job at Man Utd (4th and FA Cup winners), Tottenham (3rd), Juventus (1st), PSV (2nd) and I think it was Valencia (5th). Really silly, but honestly, I'm used to that in football games. I think it's a "you only play for 2-3 seasons before getting bored if you're lucky so let's make it fun" thing.

I went back to those teams afterwards to see if they'd changed their manager after I turned them down - nope. Plus, like you said, I noticed how well they were all doing (I've put their league positions in above).

I got offered the Netherlands job too (plus five other national team jobs), which I accepted, but it's all friendlies until the next season...

Last edited:
Wow, that was a rare thing to see Liverpool sack 2 managers like that. I am yet to see any manager movement in the French top flight. I only got some alerts saying "CSKA Moscow sack their manager", etc, from other leagues, but not the one I play in.

As you said, it's a videogame thing really, not a compromise with realism or anything, so we can just do what feels right.

As for the National team managerial offers, more of the same: I was still managing on the 2nd Division and they offered me jobs as manager for Italy and France! Cmon now :LOL:

I probably won't pick a national team job anyway. Don't know about you, but I feel it takes too much of your focus away from your club's affairs, plus it might make seasons too damn long too.

The worse thing i found in ML with dortmund is when i come to relegation team's home, they are defending in the last 30 mins of the game, and guess what - my player seems not able to find space at all because they are swarming their box like bees.
I even subbed rashford for auba to get better spear, and even goetze for draining reus, but that's not helping to change the scoreline.
That's good tho, if i just challenged by derbies and CL, these team gives me something to be done.

The worse thing i found in ML with dortmund is when i come to relegation team's home, they are defending in the last 30 mins of the game, and guess what - my player seems not able to find space at all because they are swarming their box like bees.

Well, but that's exactly what happens in reality isn't it? :D
Every time I watch Arsenal in the Premier League and a team like Burnley or WBA score first, they park the bus and it really is difficult to break that wall.

What gets on my nuts is the AI players never tiring and basically outrunning my guys who are 90+ on speed, etc. And when I go check the AI's player's attributes they're like Speed 68 & acceleration 70, that sort of stuff...
But this got a little better on PES 2017. Back in PES 2015 it was the main reason why I stopped playing

Every time I watch Arsenal in the Premier League and a team like Burnley or WBA score first, they park the bus and it really is difficult to break that wall.

What gets on my nuts is the AI players never tiring and basically outrunning my guys who are 90+ on speed, etc. And when I go check the AI's player's attributes they're like Speed 68 & acceleration 70, that sort of stuff...
But this got a little better on PES 2017. Back in PES 2015 it was the main reason why I stopped playing

Sure it is, haha
the obvious part is overall rating is like "boosted" on CPU side, i explosively ran my Dembele from the right side of the flank, there's Hummels with 65 speed and 69 acels can out run my winger. The funiest thing is when ribery got a longball i challenge him with sokratis who got higher height and of course jump and heading, but ribery won the aerial battle :D

This catch up or speed boost is still in the game and its rife with it.

Sure it is, haha
the obvious part is overall rating is like "boosted" on CPU side, i explosively ran my Dembele from the right side of the flank, there's Hummels with 65 speed and 69 acels can out run my winger. The funiest thing is when ribery got a longball i challenge him with sokratis who got higher height and of course jump and heading, but ribery won the aerial battle :D

The difference with areal battles is that there is more attributes linked to it imo. Jumping, body control, physicals and possibly explosiveness combine that with timing and its pretty tough.

Running however is more annoying as it should only be explosion speed and stamina. I hate the invisible walls that my 90+ speed players run into.

Just a question how many of you find it harder to hit knuckle shots on ML than friendlies?

This catch up or speed boost is still in the game and its rife with it.
The difference with areal battles is that there is more attributes linked to it imo. Jumping, body control, physicals and possibly explosiveness combine that with timing and its pretty tough.

Running however is more annoying as it should only be explosion speed and stamina. I hate the invisible walls that my 90+ speed players run into.
Just a question how many of you find it harder to hit knuckle shots on ML than friendlies?

Well it's just obvious part of the ML itself which "cheat" us with COM's ovr. Konami logic.

About 7/10 atempting knuckleball i think, haha. Depending on distance, wall, and luck of course

Yeah the konami logic is stupid haha.

As for the knuckle shot in open play i can probably hit 2 a game but from free kicks... if i get them i would say 1/10 register.

But in friendlies i hit more.

Played another few games of season two as Hull - with the difficulty knocked down to Top Player, I feel unrestricted (most of the time), and suddenly - by far the biggest change - my £15m striker, Chuopo-Moting, who could barely hit the target, is being "allowed" to score goals. The difference is huge. It feels fair, but a little easy - I'll bump it up to Superstar for top 5 teams and for the Europa League knockouts (if we get there).

In the FA Cup we beat West Brom 2-1 (including a volley by one of the few players still left from last season, Henriksen - I've never scored a volley before). Next up is the third Europa League game, against FK Rostov - after beating Sevilla 1-0 at home and drawing 2-2 with Ludogrets away (they were 2-0 after 20 minutes, and it was 2-2 after 30 minutes, really weird game).

Cheers guys! :D

I just loved how realistic all the goals looked. I've never scored a goal as venomous as the first one, it doesn't come across in slow-mo but he smashed it, and their equaliser was a real goalmouth scramble. The winning goal, the way Hernández just about managed to dribble past the defender and place it past the keeper (without me using a modifier)... I was running around the living room. It all looked and felt just right.

anyone knows if it does make a difference for responsiveness to play windowed mode or fullscreen, or it doesn t make any difference at all??

After a bit of a break from the forum (again) and experimenting with this game on the PS3 (which is actually quite good, some things are better on there than the PS4), i decided to start another ML again with Barnsley. I think it is about the 4th season i have started with them now.

I havent actually got through a whole season yet because i normally get a bit fed up with conceding too many so called 'scripted' goals. On that note i saw a video that helped me solve some of my defensive problems. This includes 'Swarm the Box' instruction and man marking their players which helps so much.

So i decided to start again, I'm not concerned about any updates or anything.

So here goes...

Team - Barnsley
Option File - Goalgerd's
Level - Prof
Controls - Full manual
Time - 20 mins

August 2016 highlights...

I will probably update every 'game' month.

Enjoy!

Where are your posts guys or is ML finished?

Still going but bit disheartened, so I don't provide many updates.

Played a few games last night, still as Hull. Played on Superstar against Southampton with a couple of youngsters and got absolutely destroyed, stood no chance whatsoever (against a team with a much lower average OVR than ours in every department). Lost 4-1. Dropped down to 9th in the league but it's still early days.

Dropped it back down to Top Player for the Europa League game away to FK Rostov, went 1-0 down but ended up dominating (2 shots to 14, 60% possession) and winning 3-1. Top of the group by one point (but guaranteed to go through) with two games to go.

I'm on a seesaw at the minute between Superstar being impossibly perfect and Top Player being too easy.

entered this game with hopes of getting a good result at stamford bridge, against a team full of stars, i knew it was gonna be a tough one on this midday match on a sunny day in london, i was second in the league after 9 matches played, chelsea were top 2 points ahead before this match and my beliefs of getting a good result here were hit by fitness level of riyad mahrez for this match who just came back from a knock, on the other hand chelsea were full squad ready to hammer anyone in their path, jamie vardy has been on the up this time round scoring a handful in those nine matches prior to this.i recorded the second half , shame there weren't any goals as the two goals were in the first half, i think i escaped punishment in the second half for scrappy play and reckless passes at the back, but shmeichel was at his best to deny chelsea a second goal it ended 1-1 in the end.
anyway i wanted to mention just a small example of scripting kicking in in ML, how my players just lost their responsiveness, it's the hardest part of the game when it is like that and u wanna keep a result, anw give me ur opinion about my style of play and what i can get better?
[/QUOTE]

After a bit of a break from the forum (again) and experimenting with this game on the PS3 (which is actually quite good, some things are better on there than the PS4), i decided to start another ML again with Barnsley. I think it is about the 4th season i have started with them now.

I havent actually got through a whole season yet because i normally get a bit fed up with conceding too many so called 'scripted' goals. On that note i saw a video that helped me solve some of my defensive problems. This includes 'Swarm the Box' instruction and man marking their players which helps so much.

So i decided to start again, I'm not concerned about any updates or anything.

So here goes...

Team - Barnsley
Option File - Goalgerd's
Level - Prof
Controls - Full manual
Time - 20 mins

August 2016 highlights...

I will probably update every 'game' month.

Enjoy!

Ml is not finished Geeee. .I've been busy sorting out Mr Beavers challenges. . .I didn't watch your vids yet . .I'll do it later. . . . . .bit of a backlog there. . . .slinking back from Fifa are we? Ha ha. I've a vid up in a minute.

Played a few games last night, still as Hull. Played on Superstar against Southampton with a couple of youngsters and got absolutely destroyed, stood no chance whatsoever (against a team with a much lower average OVR than ours in every department). Lost 4-1. Dropped down to 9th in the league but it's still early days.

Dropped it back down to Top Player for the Europa League game away to FK Rostov, went 1-0 down but ended up dominating (2 shots to 14, 60% possession) and winning 3-1. Top of the group by one point (but guaranteed to go through) with two games to go.

I'm on a seesaw at the minute between Superstar being impossibly perfect and Top Player being too easy.

Try stick with Superstar Chris it gets better the deeper you go in as in 3 or 4 seasons.

Okeydoke . .I decided to start a new Ml with Valencia and change my approach . .instead of rushing around trying to score or as John Cleese said in the sex lesson in The meaning of life . .you don't need to stampede towards the clitoris. . (sorry Mods) so 4 matches in I've won 2 and lost 2 which is better than getting beaten in each match which would be the usual story. . so here's a short clip of Valencia v real Sociedad . . it's not the most entertaining but what the hey.

I'm kinda pleased that I'm not that good at this game because I can stay on Prof and get a good challenge. I know you don't like manuel passing Chris but for me that is why I can stay down a couple of levels.

entered this game with hopes of getting a good result at stamford bridge, against a team full of stars, i knew it was gonna be a tough one on this midday match on a sunny day in london, i was second in the league after 9 matches played, chelsea were top 2 points ahead before this match and my beliefs of getting a good result here were hit by fitness level of riyad mahrez for this match who just came back from a knock, on the other hand chelsea were full squad ready to hammer anyone in their path, jamie vardy has been on the up this time round scoring a handful in those nine matches prior to this.i recorded the second half , shame there weren't any goals as the two goals were in the first half, i think i escaped punishment in the second half for scrappy play and reckless passes at the back, but shmeichel was at his best to deny chelsea a second goal it ended 1-1 in the end.
anyway i wanted to mention just a small example of scripting kicking in in ML, how my players just lost their responsiveness, it's the hardest part of the game when it is like that and u wanna keep a result, anw give me ur opinion about my style of play and what i can get better?
[/QUOTE]

I found it a struggle to see the ball ram because it was too far away. Are you on PS4? If so, why not record it through the PS4 and post it that way?

Obviously the scripting is not as bad down on Prof but I do notice it at times. Less so when I'm doing man marking and swarm the box. I've got a couple of tall defenders in which helps too.

Another thing that helps is, before I used to spam the square button to make clearances but now I power up the circle button and the defender heads it quicker if I time it right.

One more thing that helps is if I keep watching the ball and just walk (or run) my defender towards the attacker WITHOUT pressing x to make a challenge. That way the defender seems to automatically block the cross or shot without committing himself.

Ml is not finished Geeee. .I've been busy sorting out Mr Beavers challenges. . .I didn't watch your vids yet . .I'll do it later. . . . . .bit of a backlog there. . . .slinking back from Fifa are we? Ha ha. I've a vid up in a minute.

I saw Beavers challenges but not for me I'm afraid, I barely get time to play ML. They look good though. Heh yeh FIFA got on my nerves in the end. It is good when you get a good shot in but everything else I personally don't really like. It's taken me a while but hopefully I'm back with PES again now. One of those games i posted i got slaughtered but didn't feel scripted like before and i think that's because of the new defence techniques that I've mentioned earlier.

In one game i made sure that my tallest defender marked their tallest striker and it made a big difference. Really enjoying it again matey.

Back
Top Bottom