The Master League adventures thread

Old Lady gets mugged!

Have you done anything in particular to get Juve to press like that? I did the five second fix a couple of months back, but that doesn't seem to work with the latest update for the game. Now it's more gung ho and less pressing from the opposition.

Have you done anything in particular to get Juve to press like that? I did the five second fix a couple of months back, but that doesn't seem to work with the latest update for the game. Now it's more gung ho and less pressing from the opposition.

No Daisuk that's their default setting .. .in a couple of other games last night the defenses of two other teams were superb as default setting as well.

Really enjoyed that. Samp are my ML team too. Strange seeing Lobato and Filtazinho playing without me controlling them!

Some of the keeping looked realistically dodgy.

Currently considering going three at the back; that match provided food for thought.

I will be on the road for a couple of months and won't be able to use my PS4. Fortunately I will have my laptop with me, and PES 2017 seems to run on it just fine. (Will also be giving WE9LE a try.)

PC version looks good to me. I do think the pace in the PC version is quite a bit slower than PS4 version, though.

Won't be recording vids on the PC. So maybe a couple more from me and then video silence for a while.

At some point there was a bug in ML in the PC that made PES crash. Has it been resolved? Wondering whether to start a new ML or just a league.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed that. Samp are my ML team too. Strange seeing Lobato and Filtazinho playing without me controlling them!

Some of the keeping looked realistically dodgy.

Currently considering going three at the back; that match provided food for thought.

I was switching between a solid 4-4-2 and 4-4-3 and not much was happening until I switched to a 3-5-2 with tika taka and brought on Lobato specifically for his pace which I knew would cause them problems. It changed the game . .funny thing is I was only practicing penos in training mode before I started the match lol.

I was switching between a solid 4-4-2 and 4-4-3 and not much was happening until I switched to a 3-5-2 with tika taka and brought on Lobato specifically for his pace which I knew would cause them problems. It changed the game . .funny thing is I was only practicing penos in training mode before I started the match lol.

You should have won easily with the 4-4-3 ! Is that a cheat ? ;)

You should have won easily with the 4-4-3 ! Is that a cheat ? ;)

No . . ..why do you think it's a cheat? Some teams are set up to defend against wing play .. .3-5-2 would be stronger in midfield and make more runs through the center .. . also some teams are stronger in midfield and you would benefit from 4-3-3. . .depends on who you play against.

Started a new save with Villareal.

I signed:
Riquelme (my first Special player on this years game one of my all time favs)
Giovanni Simone

for the first time EVER i have got to December and I am undefeated on top player full manual. Some fantastic games, tight games and a couple of big wins. I managed to beat Real Madrid 3-1 Soldado is my best player so far... plays far beyond his stats.

Lovely goal, was looking at bringing Pozo. how is his progression?

I was nearly selling him . . .you would have to play him regularly for him to progress and I can't at the moment. .. . . the other forwards are in top form. . .he's good in tight situations but he's way overpriced 21 million or so . .. not worth that

21 million for Pozo? he is like 71 overall isnt he? I normally pay around the 5 million mark for those, for instance Simone was 5 million and he is 74 overall, and my Riquelme was 21 million and hes 85.

21 million for Pozo? he is like 71 overall isnt he? I normally pay around the 5 million mark for those, for instance Simone was 5 million and he is 74 overall, and my Riquelme was 21 million and hes 85.

I know. . . . it's ridiculous, they're advertised as 6 or 7 mil but when you bid it's pushed up to 21 mill or so. .. .I haggled them down to 16 mil and could afford it because I sold a lot of overrated players.. .but I'm sure if he played regularly he would improve greatly . ..all about taking a gamble.

Playing the Prem as Liverpool and the way United wins every single match is ridiculous. It's been ten games or so, and If I hadn't managed a draw against them they would have a full house. I bet they have stats up the arse with that lineup but you have to program some random elements in there and not have the team with the highest stats win every match.

I know. . . . it's ridiculous, they're advertised as 6 or 7 mil but when you bid it's pushed up to 21 mill or so. .. .I haggled them down to 16 mil and could afford it because I sold a lot of overrated players.. .but I'm sure if he played regularly he would improve greatly . ..all about taking a gamble.

Wow i only saw that with players like J. De Paula and other 80+ rated players. Obviously apart from Riquelme.

Olimpo redux, season 2

Settings: superstar, full manual, 20 min, speed 0

Report on match: CA Sarmiento - Olimpo

Highlight reel

Third consecutive 0-0 draw. Third consecutive match we played very defensively (low A/D throughout the match). A couple of bad decisions by us here, very nearly cost us the match.

I have never enjoyed a football game as much as I have enjoyed the matches after my change of defensive approach. Both critical elements are there: a constant threat by the CPU, and difficulty in building up. For me PES 2017 turned out to be a winner after all.

Now that I have demonstrated to myself that it is feasible to have a decent defense against superstar, the next stage is to amp up the offense - without conceding too many. I actually tried to launch some extra manual teammate runs already in this match, but I felt that some of the runs ended up short (low A/D?). In the next match our target is a minimum of 8 shots by our team. Well, maybe in the next Olimpo match, because I am managing Denmark in Euro qualifiers - next up Germany, and probably have to stick with low A/D and don't expect many shots by our team.

Olimpo redux, season 2

Settings: superstar, full manual, 20 min, speed 0

Report on match: Denmark - Germany (Euro qualifier)

Highlight reel

The beginning of the first half was absolute horror. That included the cursor switching mess in the first clip, saved luckily by the sliding tackle.

Germany were so fast and strong, quite realistically. In the second half we got more into the game, but their defense was solid and Neuer sweeped the rest. Neuer's player id is superb: he came out a number of times to coolly clear our through ball.

Great match, once again.

Wow i only saw that with players like J. De Paula and other 80+ rated players. Obviously apart from Riquelme.

I played Pozo as an AMF behind two forwards last night and he was brilliant . . threads lovely passes through the defense and makes great runs into the box begging for a through ball. I'm keeping him.

Olimpo redux, season 2

Settings: superstar, full manual, 20 minutes, speed 0

Report on match: Northern Ireland - Denmark (Euro qualifiers)

Highlight reel

I am tempted to say that we played pretty well - except for shooting, especially close up.

Last edited:
After many option-file trials and tribulations, I finally managed to get to the half-way point in my first ML season last night.

I started off playing on Top Player, and managed to beat Tottenham 2-0 at home before a 0-0 versus Man Utd at Old Trafford.

After that, and reading that other folks "could only play" on Superstar, I decided to give it a go. Well, I've lasted 17 games on it so far, but I'm not exactly enjoying what it does to the AI!

I can't argue that results are more realistic - I've only managed to win five of that 17 - but I'm finding that even on 16 minute games, they're mostly 0-0s. The AI just doesn't make a defensive mistake, ever. I press shoot, and there's just enough of a delay for them to always get a defender in the way.

But, I'm not changing the difficulty - because I've got one of the worst squads in the league, so I knew what I was getting into, and if anything I'm getting better results than I should (we're 10th, and I feel like I've really achieved something).

There's no money left - I bought a young LB and RB at the start of the season for a few million, and I've just bought GK Matz Sels from Newcastle with what was left of the budget (he seems to have a bright future).

My CBs are ageing and have dropped 3pts from their OVR rating since the start of the season - I'm really struggling. I desperately need to replace them, but I can't afford anyone on the transfer list, and there are no better CBs on the loan list - it's a pretty bad situation.

A new intake of youth players have just arrived, and one of them is a 16-year-old striker who already has an OVR rating of 75 - but I can't even afford his signing-on fee (which is a bit silly, by the way)...

If I play two strikers (usually Hernandez and Mbokani), I find I get overrun in the midfield, but when I play one of them on their own... Well, put it like this - between them, they've scored five goals in 19 games. They're not good enough to function on their own.

You'd imagine they'd have a ton of headed goals between them, but they can never get onto the end of a cross - they're nearly always headed away (literally at least 90% of the time). But I put that down to having pretty poor wingers who don't have a great crossing ability (Snodgrass on the left, El Mohamady on the right).

But I'm working through all of this until the end of the season, when I've got a decision to make - I don't know what I can do to improve the state of the squad without a big cash influx, so it's either sell the star strikers, make about £20m and make improvements here and there (but Phil Jones is transfer listed for £10m - one decent CB would use up half of that budget), OR... I walk away.

Such a fantastic game, though. The player individuality, the way that the right tactics make it 20% easier. I wish there were less times where my button input is delayed unnecessarily, and I really wish the AI defence wasn't so absolutely perfect, but even with my gripes, it's the best football game I've played (and I feel vindicated for thinking the last few years of football games have been shite - "see, I'm not just a grumpy old bastard, I was right!").

Last edited:
After many option-file trials and tribulations, I finally managed to get to the half-way point in my first ML season last night.

I started off playing on Top Player, and managed to beat Tottenham 2-0 at home before a 0-0 versus Man Utd at Old Trafford.

After that, and reading that other folks "could only play" on Superstar, I decided to give it a go. Well, I've lasted 17 games on it so far, but I'm not exactly enjoying what it does to the AI!

I can't argue that results are more realistic - I've only managed to win five of that 17 - but I'm finding that even on 16 minute games, they're mostly 0-0s. The AI just doesn't make a defensive mistake, ever. I press shoot, and there's just enough of a delay for them to always get a defender in the way.

But, I'm not changing the difficulty - because I've got one of the worst squads in the league, so I knew what I was getting into, and if anything I'm getting better results than I should (we're 10th, and I feel like I've really achieved something).

There's no money left - I bought a young LB and RB at the start of the season for a few million, and I've just bought GK Matz Sels from Newcastle with what was left of the budget (he seems to have a bright future).

My CBs are ageing and have dropped 3pts from their OVR rating since the start of the season - I'm really struggling. I desperately need to replace them, but I can't afford anyone on the transfer list, and there are no better CBs on the loan list - it's a pretty bad situation.

A new intake of youth players have just arrived, and one of them is a 16-year-old striker who already has an OVR rating of 75 - but I can't even afford his signing-on fee (which is a bit silly, by the way)...

If I play two strikers (usually Hernandez and Mbokani), I find I get overrun in the midfield, but when I play one of them on their own... Well, put it like this - between them, they've scored five goals in 19 games. They're not good enough to function on their own.

You'd imagine they'd have a ton of headed goals between them, but they can never get onto the end of a cross - they're nearly always headed away (literally at least 90% of the time). But I put that down to having pretty poor wingers who don't have a great crossing ability (Snodgrass on the left, El Mohamady on the right).

But I'm working through all of this until the end of the season, when I've got a decision to make - I don't know what I can do to improve the state of the squad without a big cash influx, so it's either sell the star strikers, make about £20m and make improvements here and there (but Phil Jones is transfer listed for £10m - one decent CB would use up half of that budget), OR... I walk away.

Such a fantastic game, though. The player individuality, the way that the right tactics make it 20% easier. I wish there were less times where my button input is delayed unnecessarily, and I really wish the AI defence wasn't so absolutely perfect, but even with my gripes, it's the best football game I've played (and I feel vindicated for thinking the last few years of football games have been shite - "see, I'm not just a grumpy old bastard, I was right!").

You should have went into free agents at the start. .. .. some very good players in there with no transfer fee just wages. . . it helped me build up my team quickly and cheaply.

You should have went into free agents at the start. .. .. some very good players in there with no transfer fee just wages. . . it helped me build up my team quickly and cheaply.
I started with the latest update data - so most of the free agents were removed (which makes it a little bit more realistic IMO - those free agents aren't available in real life, it just so happens that the teams they play for don't exist in PES).

There are still some available, but they're either 40+ years old or they're below 60 OVR...

I desperately need at least one first-team CB, and a LM/RM who can cross the ball would help us out a lot. Without them, I'm struggling (but just about managing) to keep clean sheets (thanks to a deep defensive line), and I'm barely scoring (because I need to be able to hit the target men on the counter).

If we finish where we are now (11th) I'll be ecstatic...

On Top Player, Henrikssen (AMF) is incredible, a brilliant playmaker and dribbler with a half-decent shot on him - but on Superstar he's marked to death and he barely gets to see the ball. Again, I prefer the results from Superstar because otherwise I'd be in an unrealistically high league position, but, damn, I wish the AI was just slightly less perfect (and I also hope Konami don't cock the game up next year)...

I started with the latest update data - so most of the free agents were removed (which makes it a little bit more realistic IMO - those free agents aren't available in real life, it just so happens that the teams they play for don't exist in PES).

There are still some available, but they're either 40+ years old or they're below 60 OVR...

I desperately need at least one first-team CB, and a LM/RM who can cross the ball would help us out a lot. Without them, I'm struggling (but just about managing) to keep clean sheets (thanks to a deep defensive line), and I'm barely scoring (because I need to be able to hit the target men on the counter).

If we finish where we are now (11th) I'll be ecstatic...

On Top Player, Henrikssen (AMF) is incredible, a brilliant playmaker and dribbler with a half-decent shot on him - but on Superstar he's marked to death and he barely gets to see the ball. Again, I prefer the results from Superstar because otherwise I'd be in an unrealistically high league position, but, damn, I wish the AI was just slightly less perfect (and I also hope Konami don't cock the game up next year)...

I'd rather play the game with real players as well but the default team, the youth team and the regens are all fantasy as well when you're playing with defaults. . . .only option for me next time is to start with a club's real players and go from there.

I'd rather play the game with real players as well but the default team, the youth team and the regens are all fantasy as well when you're playing with defaults. . . .only option for me next time is to start with a club's real players and go from there.
I usually pick the most local, but also rubbish, Championship team and go from there - with the "real" players, because they'll be as useless as the fake ones, but they're the real players and I'm having to dig them out of their real-life situation. I like that!

But last year, I found the Championship really uninspiring - same stadiums, same types of games over and over. Really spoilt my enjoyment of the game. So in my head, I've just switched manager jobs from Bolton to Hull... And their real-life players are absolutely useless for the job at hand (sorry Hull fans, Superstar difficulty's a bitch) so it makes no difference if they're fake or not!

So my job is either, keep this save going for long enough to build up enough money to buy the key players they need and start to push up the top half of the table...

...or chicken out and accept one of the job offers I've been given for next season (Tottenham, Watford, Brescia, Go Ahead Eagles)!

Back
Top Bottom