The Master League adventures thread

Haven´t said much lately, but kept playing my season when I could. I feel those moments were the game is totally against you. They happen, nothing we can do. It´s frustrating as hell, and these things happen IRL, that´s ok, but it´s so damn hard to accept it on the game! I had a run were I´ve beaten Totenham 4-0 (!!), Arsenal 1-0, Chelsea 1-0 (for the first time!), and Man United 2-1... This one was soooo hard! Had a lucky goal early on, and then I dominate the hole match, but the ball wouldn´t go in. You know, those games were you win every single header and shot in the box but no matter what, they all go wide. Then a free kick for MU, I didn´t touch a thing, but on a 50/50 ball referee decides to award a free kick out of nowere. Long ball to the goal, GK has an easy task to catch the ball, alone, no pressure at all, but at the last second he freezes and drops the ball inside the net. Lucky me, I could still score another and win the match.

So after these results I´m 2nd, one point behind Man City, 5 ahead of MUnited. Great right? Maybe even too great and that´s what pisses me. The game logic lets you win certain matches, but then it throws in everything at you when he understand you have to loose. It´s not the opponent it self, it´s the situation you´re at in the league table.

Today I got Leicester and it was a 0-0, but not a soccer match for sure, more like a fighting camp, were Leicester did nothing but try to break all my players legs, and I mean really hard. There wasn´t a single free kick in the first half. I was fighting my way to a win, screaming all over the living room like a lunatic while I watched Leicester destroying my players and the referee smiling at me. Finally he started to throw some cards, including a red one, but to late, I couldn´t score.
Next, Stoke city. Some story again, I could actually shoot alot, and on target, but nothing could go into the net. I was so tired of this bullshit that I turned the game off and after a while I simulated the result.

If I look carefully at the overall, it´s a great experience, I´m second with QPR, recently promoted. Great players bought, great teamwork etc... really adicting, except for the fact how the game behaves... I can dominate possession, specially shots on and off target by a huge margin, and still have draws and losses. Despite the rage, the Leicester game was awesome, was diferent... they had a whole new system of playing against me. I didn´t had any possession, barely could shoot... those should happen more often... I don´t like to dominate most matches. I´m thinking of droping the 20 mins to 15 max, maybe even less, so I have less chances on target. CPU will have the same balance for sure, it´s scripted to have a certain number of chances, but I´m usually having around 15 shots with 9 on target, only to score a goal, while the CPU rarely gets 5 shots on target. I feel I have too much time to create chances, so I´ll drop down the match time to see If I can even the things out.

I understand totally what you mean, but dropping down to 15 or 10 mins just speeds up the amount of chances in the match. . .that match that I just put up wasn't a complaint xicpanad .. the driver (me) fell asleep at the wheel and the first two goals were my own fault. . . .it's a great game but has it's faults . .sure haven't we all got faults... ..I never restart
a match if it doesn't go my way.

I understand totally what you mean, but dropping down to 15 or 10 mins just speeds up the amount of chances in the match. . .that match that I just put up wasn't a complaint xicpanad .. the driver (me) fell asleep at the wheel and the first two goals were my own fault. . . .it's a great game but has it's faults . .sure haven't we all got faults... ..I never restart
a match if it doesn't go my way.

Yeah I´m trying to educate myself to avoid these feellings of frustration when I loose a match. Some matches are really hard to swallow, but it so happens IRL and I must accept it. I haven´t restarted that much, a couple ones only, and it´s quite good the results I´ve had this season. Still, I´m going to drop a bit of time because I feel I have to much time to create chances, I don´t have the urge to attack so I keep possession, and usually end up with 60%, wich is unrealistic most times. I feel confortable enough with manual passing now, so there´s no reason to keep playing longer matches when I know the game will make me miss most of those chances to keep the goal sheet with predefined numbers.

Yesterday I tryed a couple matches with diferent settings to find what should I use from now on.
I even got back to the Superstar/PA1 set... I must say, PA1 is gorgeous, the ball physics are totally diferent, but the assistance makes me play the game faster, pin point passing and as a result, CPU does the same, wich I don´t like. Too bad the manual passing hasn´t got the exactly same feeling as PA1, but still, I prefer the chalenge of manual, because sometimes I have to give the ball away instead of just pass pass pass with my eyes closed knowing that everything will be fine.
So I started to reduce match time and I think I will stick with 14 mins matches from now on. This way, I have less time to create chances, wich leads to more risky moves/passes, and less posession (I was really tired of ending 90% of my matches with +60% possession, no matter wich club I play against. Today I started my 4th season against Newcastle. I won 0-2, in a very tight match:

Shots (on target): 5(2)-4(3)
passing: 72% - 76%
possession: 46% - 54%

By the way, I finished the third season in 2nd place, wich grants me Champions League next year! Lobato was the 3rd best scorer, and he was named Player of the Season. Thanks to him, we had the best attack in the league. I had offers from Man City (current champions), Man Utd, Real Madrid and Olimpo. Olimpo was a no go, I´m not interest in leaving European clubs, still thought about Man Utd or Real Madrid (what a team these guys have!!)... But I think it would be unfair to leave QPR now that they are in the CL, with the team I built in the last 3 years. So QPR it is! Probably my last year in...

Yesterday I tryed a couple matches with diferent settings to find what should I use from now on.
I even got back to the Superstar/PA1 set... I must say, PA1 is gorgeous, the ball physics are totally diferent, but the assistance makes me play the game faster, pin point passing and as a result, CPU does the same, wich I don´t like. Too bad the manual passing hasn´t got the exactly same feeling as PA1, but still, I prefer the chalenge of manual, because sometimes I have to give the ball away instead of just pass pass pass with my eyes closed knowing that everything will be fine.
So I started to reduce match time and I think I will stick with 14 mins matches from now on. This way, I have less time to create chances, wich leads to more risky moves/passes, and less posession (I was really tired of ending 90% of my matches with +60% possession, no matter wich club I play against. Today I started my 4th season against Newcastle. I won 0-2, in a very tight match:

Shots (on target): 5(2)-4(3)
passing: 72% - 76%
possession: 46% - 54%

By the way, I finished the third season in 2nd place, wich grants me Champions League next year! Lobato was the 3rd best scorer, and he was named Player of the Season. Thanks to him, we had the best attack in the league. I had offers from Man City (current champions), Man Utd, Real Madrid and Olimpo. Olimpo was a no go, I´m not interest in leaving European clubs, still thought about Man Utd or Real Madrid (what a team these guys have!!)... But I think it would be unfair to leave QPR now that they are in the CL, with the team I built in the last 3 years. So QPR it is! Probably my last year in...

Stick with QPR and turn them into a world class side . .glad you found the right settings for yourself. .. .funny thing is I always end up with 39% possession in each match which is weird even when I win. . .I must be too direct in my attacking
although that can come about if the A.I pressures you all over the pitch. . .put up some vids xicpanad if you get the time.

Yes I´ll do some vid about my way of play. It´s mostly because of my style, posession based soccer. I usually pass the ball around until I see some good chance to put it forward and try a goal.

Hey guys, haven't been around for a bit and won't have a chance to play for a few days yet. Been reading the posts about the new patch messing up the option files and tactics and things. Is this still the case for those that have already started a ML?

How is the game playing since the patch? I'm seeing so many negative posts on the other thread is it really that bad? Has it affected the AI too?

I'm reading that people are now going back to PES6 and some are now buying FIFA2017... why? What's happened? Is it just because of the option file mess up or is gameplay now really bad?

It's like I've gone away and come back and everything has changed. :(

Sorry for all the questions just a lot of negative posts flying around.

Hey guys, haven't been around for a bit and won't have a chance to play for a few days yet. Been reading the posts about the new patch messing up the option files and tactics and things. Is this still the case for those that have already started a ML?

How is the game playing since the patch? I'm seeing so many negative posts on the other thread is it really that bad? Has it affected the AI too?

I'm reading that people are now going back to PES6 and some are now buying FIFA2017... why? What's happened? Is it just because of the option file mess up or is gameplay now really bad?

It's like I've gone away and come back and everything has changed. :(

Sorry for all the questions just a lot of negative posts flying around.

Sorry do we know you? . . . . Joking My ML is intact Geeee . .regarding gameplay changes I haven't noticed anything and I'm usually the one who will put his neck on the block and make claims about changes. . . .the option files are ruined and some of the lads are up in arms, pitchfork and torches mob heading for Konami headquarters .. .I think the guys complaining are just doing it the way they usually do it y'know. . .I'm taking my ball back and heading to Fifa or Pes 5. .. .. if you liked it the last time you played it you should still like it.

@geeeeee

Haven't noticed any gameplay changes. But scripting is bugging me, especially since I noticed that some of my goals seem to be scripted as well. I hate the feeling that some of my hard earned goals are handed to me by the system.

Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, because I score so seldom. Interestingly enough, I think it's partially because I started by playing against superstar pre-patch, and then there was absolutely no time to waste when I had a chance to shoot. So now I still do the same, even though from the other videos I can see that it would be possible to keep the ball for a while even inside the box.

Played a league match and won 1-0. Then started managing Denmark as well, and lost a friendly against Argentina 0-1, but dominated the match.

Have also acquired WE9LE and will give it a try soon.

Sorry do we know you? . . . . Joking My ML is intact Geeee . .regarding gameplay changes I haven't noticed anything and I'm usually the one who will put his neck on the block and make claims about changes. . . .the option files are ruined and some of the lads are up in arms, pitchfork and torches mob heading for Konami headquarters .. .I think the guys complaining are just doing it the way they usually do it y'know. . .I'm taking my ball back and heading to Fifa or Pes 5. .. .. if you liked it the last time you played it you should still like it.

Lol yeh been absent for a while.

Heading to Fifa or Pes 5? Are you not liking it now Deco? What's changed?

@geeeeee

Haven't noticed any gameplay changes. But scripting is bugging me, especially since I noticed that some of my goals seem to be scripted as well. I hate the feeling that some of my hard earned goals are handed to me by the system.

Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, because I score so seldom. Interestingly enough, I think it's partially because I started by playing against superstar pre-patch, and then there was absolutely no time to waste when I had a chance to shoot. So now I still do the same, even though from the other videos I can see that it would be possible to keep the ball for a while even inside the box.

Played a league match and won 1-0. Then started managing Denmark as well, and lost a friendly against Argentina 0-1, but dominated the match.

Have also acquired WE9LE and will give it a try soon.

James, in what way have your goals been scripted? Does the CPU give you the ball on a plate for you to score? Or is it that your player scores when he would not normally score? Please explain ;)

Lol yeh been absent for a while.

Heading to Fifa or Pes 5? Are you not liking it now Deco? What's changed?

James, in what way have your goals been scripted? Does the CPU give you the ball on a plate for you to score? Or is it that your player scores when he would not normally score? Please explain ;)

Wha? I love it Geeeee .. . no problems at all with it. . .it's just that nobody seems to be posting in here much.

Wha? I love it Geeeee .. . no problems at all with it. . .it's just that nobody seems to be posting in here much.

That's good to hear :)

It's just that i read a couple of your posts on the general discussion thread and you mentioned that you feel like jacking it in or something along those lines.

I will be back to posting some videos sometime next week hopefully.

That's good to hear :)

It's just that i read a couple of your posts on the general discussion thread and you mentioned that you feel like jacking it in or something along those lines.

I will be back to posting some videos sometime next week hopefully.

I was talking in sympathy with some of the option file makers who were speaking at the time and i was taking a
swipe at Konami for the disregard of the OF makers. . .. look forward to your vids bud.

Not posted in a while but man that was the greatest most intense season i have played on a football game

After getting promotion from serie B I had 4 million to strengthen my team which wasnt enough so i kept faith in the side I got promotion with and added 2 youth players and the younger Insigne brother from napoli on loan. It was tough and went down to final day of the season between 5 teams to avoid relegation all seperated by 2 points

those last 5 or 6 games were intense i looked like i was gona pull it off but got relegated by 3 points after losing to sampdoria on the final day the cutscene at the final whistle was of my players slumped to the floor gutted but the game before that at home i was robbed by this

I needed that goal so badly too a win would have taken us out of the relegation zone, he was my super sub i had just brought on it doesnt look like offside to me he looks level. So many brilliant moments during the season i was so close to saving the club from going down but have to start again but im looking forward to getting back to serie A with these young players more experienced and improved.

By the way i edited all teams to aggressive defending and i find it made superstar a lot more challenging

Last edited:
I was talking in sympathy with some of the option file makers who were speaking at the time and i was taking a
swipe at Konami for the disregard of the OF makers. . .. look forward to your vids bud.

Oh ok fair enough. Did you use an option file? Have you noticed any changes to your ML?

Not posted in a while but man that was the greatest most intense season i have played on a football game

After getting promotion from serie B I had 4 million to strengthen my team which wasnt enough so i kept faith in the side I got promotion with and added 2 youth players and the younger Insigne brother from napoli on loan. It was tough and went down to final day of the season between 5 teams to avoid relegation all seperated by 2 points

those last 5 or 6 games were intense i looked like i was gona pull it off but got relegated by 3 points after losing to sampdoria on the final day the cutscene at the final whistle was of my players slumped to the floor gutted but the game before that at home i was robbed by this

I needed that goal so badly too a win would have taken us out of the relegation zone, he was my super sub i had just brought on it doesnt look like offside to me he looks level. So many brilliant moments during the season i was so close to saving the club from going down but have to start again but im looking forward to getting back to serie A with these young players more experienced and improved.

By the way i edited all teams to aggressive defending and i find it made superstar a lot more challenging

Sorry you wasn't able to avoid relegation. I enjoyed your post though and the fact that you still enjoyed the season even though you was relegated.

After watching the video, i think he was just about offside. It was the back of his foot that did it. Hopefully you come straight back up.

Relegated by the width of a players heel after hours of effort lol painful

And thanks should storm right back up from serie B im glad the games up to a playable standard this year for people to post ML stories

James, in what way have your goals been scripted? Does the CPU give you the ball on a plate for you to score? Or is it that your player scores when he would not normally score? Please explain

The most glaring cases have been weak shots / headers from the edge of the box. They have just looped into the goal, with the keeper making an unimpressive effort to save. They have happened when I have felt that things start clicking my way: I start winning aerial contests, CPU starts passing badly, my players feel more responsive.

The worst case was a cup home leg I needed to win at least 2-0. My first 4 shots, 3 on goal, 2 goals. The first goal was an impossible header from distance, from an unrealistic body position. I just felt that we had the momentum, so I thought I would give it a try. And behold: in it went, and I wasn't surprised at all.

This match was preceded by a good number of matches where scoring was very hard, keepers making amazing close up saves.

I have come to believe a good deal of manual passes and shots are on rails, regardless of whether you use L2 or not.

Passing into tight places is another indicator of momentum. When I pass into plenty of space, it's just fine. But when I pass into crowded areas, sometimes my player miraculously receives the pass, sometimes the CPU intercepts. And I think this "decision" is based largely on momentum. So basically I now only enjoy buildup where I use a lot of space, because I know that momentum didn't create the chance for me.

I still enjoy many matches. But momentum is looming in the background, ready to spoil the experience.

Oh ok fair enough. Did you use an option file? Have you noticed any changes to your ML?

Sorry you wasn't able to avoid relegation. I enjoyed your post though and the fact that you still enjoyed the season even though you was relegated.

After watching the video, i think he was just about offside. It was the back of his foot that did it. Hopefully you come straight back up.

I used Goalgerds OF and I didn't notice any changes in ML.

Great story there Saintric and very realistic as I'm expecting a relegation battle in Serie A after promotion from Serie B
Btw that was never offside. . .. . .robbed.

Well, going back and forward with this one again... Yesterday I played some ML matches in Superstar PA0. Matches are more nervous, frantic style... most players won´t like it, I didn´t use to like it... but stats wise, it gets the closest thing to what I would like to see. Matches are hard, but at the end, the results are quite aceptable:

QPR 1-0 Bournemouth
Aston Villa 0-2 QPR
Man City 0-1 QPR (very close match, and in the end M City scored after a counter attack, with a sublime finishing over the keeper).

CL matches:

SC Braga 2-0 QPR (created some chances but I was suprised by their 2 early goals)
QPR 0-0 Sevilha (Should have won this one, but the finishing was hard, and also had lots of players tired after some international matches).

Now, I what I like the most, is the possession stats. Now I´m averaging around 53%, but against M city I only had around 40%, wich is right. Sevilha also won in that department with 53%, but I still played better and created more chances.

What I realise is that this game treats the dificulty as something that changes the match flow, the overall speed and defnsive awareness from CPU, same as the offensive intelligence. It doesn´t make it more unfair to be honest... You just have to be quicker in your reactions. Pace is like one of those tipical fast paced Premier matches, not unrealistic as it may seem. Also, the pressing from the CPU is higher, wich might look bad, but after a while it gets natural and the good thing is that it opens up some spaces that never opened up before, just like in Top Player the CPU was too carefull. This leads to new ways of opening the defensive formations, and I´ve never seen so many situations where the CPU defense actually gets caught by surprise as I did yesterday. Man City was great in pressing without leaving too much space, and that´s how it should be... I feel I´m going to have a rough time with big teams now.

It was my first loss on the league, so I´m 3rd, two points behind City and I believe it´s Arsenal in 2nd. Next match is against Man United away, so another great test for this superstar thing...

The only thing I feel it´s bad about this game is how the TS is implemented... I´m doing fine because I have a 96 TS, wich leads to a very good connection from my players... but I don´t even want to imagine what it´s like to start a league with a low TS... maybe next season, when I switch to another club... right now I got to focus on winning B Dortmund on my next CL match (yeah right...) to win those precious points I need so much!

@xicpanad

The responsiveness and buildup sharpness of superstar is great. I think one of the main issues is loss of team individuality to some degree.

But top player does feel lazy after ss.

Are you playing with manual shooting?

No, Basic. I think I should go full manual by now, have to try it first to see how it feels.

It looks like the game has some overpowered momentum issues, no matter what level we play, he tries to compensate increasing/reducing momentum while we play. In SS, the game is harder, faster, and we don´t have as much oportunities, so the momentum issue is not so visible... but in TP, I had matches that were unbelievable, so bad scripting... not just for the CPU but also for me. Most matches, when I scored, I couldn´t do anything for the rest of the time. Also, if the CPU scored first, then I could do anything, chances all over the place and CPU going crazy, until I eventually score. Sometimes is just to noticeable to accept it.

@xicpanad

Inspired by your post I just went back to superstar. Played a friendly against England (managing Denmark) and one league match away (Argentine league). TS 67 and 74.

The game on superstar is harder but undoubtedly better. CPU buildup, especially in their own half, looks much more like football than on top player.

The league match was sublime. I played a defensive game with counter target. I did get my chance with a break @ 60', CF 1 vs. 1 against the keeper - but he saved it.

Momentum kicked in @ 80', after which we didn't get much time on the ball. Still, ended 0-0. Edit. It would have been a perfect match without the momentum scripting at the end. I wonder whether KONAMI know how we feel about this completely unnecessary feature.

Continuing with superstar. May have to throw any hope of success out of the window, but at least the matches will be something to remember.

Thanks! :TU:

Last edited:
@xicpanad

Inspired by your post I just went back to superstar. Played a friendly against England (managing Denmark) and one league match away (Argentine league). TS 67 and 74.

The game on superstar is harder but undoubtedly better. CPU buildup, especially in their own half, looks much more like football than on top player.

The league match was sublime. I played a defensive game with counter target. I did get my chance with a break @ 60', CF 1 vs. 1 against the keeper - but he saved it.

Momentum kicked in @ 80', after which we didn't get much time on the ball. Still, ended 0-0.

Continuing with superstar. May have to throw any hope of success out of the window, but at least the matches will be something to remember.

Thanks! :TU:

It could be like ordering a takeaway from a new restaurant .. . .they serve up a lovely meal for the first delivery . .and then it slowly deteriorates.

Ok played a few matches tonight . . .haven't played in 5 days. . .matches are tight affairs even against top teams. .. .at first I thought it was easier now I feel that it's harder. . .each game has been realistic and low scoring. . can feel congested at times . . .I didn't want to put it down .. .. so there you go lads.

game definitely plays better on top player, as on superstar my players are slow i can't get enough freedom on the pitch, its a if they force the players to be slow and not react well, while cpu players are super responsive its not realistic, so im sticking with top player and pa1 and basic shooting, so far the best balance for a good challenge and fair one.

game definitely plays better on top player, as on superstar my players are slow i can't get enough freedom on the pitch, its a if they force the players to be slow and not react well, while cpu players are super responsive its not realistic, so im sticking with top player and pa1 and basic shooting, so far the best balance for a good challenge and fair one.

Superstar is a bad idea, I played on superstar after the October patch and the heavy scripting made me hate the game. The best difficulty is indeed top player, IMO you should play on PA 0 because the game lacks midfield battles so you'll end up getting an end to end match on PA 1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom