The Master League adventures thread

Olimpo redux, season 1

Settings: top player, full manual and using manual L2 modifier for every pass, cross and shot, 20 minutes, speed 0

Report on match: Olimpo - CA Temperley

Highlight reel

Every pass, cross and shot you see me make in that video has been executed while pressing the L2 manual modifier. (I have full manual settings on top of that.)

The difference to PA0 is huge. WTF? Why is the system built like this? Why isn't PA0 truly manual?

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot more than my earlier matches in this season. And I even won the match. I think that had I played at PA0 and regular manual shooting, something would have intercepted that combo which gave us the winning goal.

(The CPU had chances too, but the point of this video reel was to focus on the effect of L2.)

It is L2 for me from this point onwards, defo. I think I have heard of players permanently fixing L2 to be pressed during matches. (What does it do in defense?) I may have to see if that would be possible. A simple rubber band might do.

For anyone taking full manual seriously I suggest you give it a try.

I'll have to give it a whirl.

Olimpo redux, season 1

Settings: top player, full manual and using manual L2 modifier for every pass, cross and shot, 20 minutes, speed 0

Highlight reel

Every pass, cross and shot you see me make in that video has been executed while pressing the L2 manual modifier. (I have full manual settings on top of that.)

The difference to PA0 is huge. WTF? Why is the system built like this? Why isn't PA0 truly manual?

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot more than my earlier matches in this season. And I even won the match. I think that had I played at PA0 and regular manual shooting, something would have intercepted that combo which gave us the winning goal.

(The CPU had chances too, but the point of this video reel was to focus on the effect of L2.)

It is L2 for me from this point onwards, defo. I think I have heard of players permanently fixing L2 to be pressed during matches. (What does it do in defense?) I may have to see if that would be possible. A simple rubber band might do.

i cant play full manual, because the crosses u can;t direct them right, always goes astray or where it shouldnt go because u cant fast puch buttons and l2 when ur under pressure or when u need to be split second decision, definitely a no go this L2 manual cross.

Went back to TP,and since I had a very good team the last time,I didn't realise what shit level that is.
You get out runned,you can have 5 meters on a player still he catches you.
The reason I switched is because proffesional is to sluggish with these players.
But I'll probably have to go back again.
And a another thing that's absolutely insane.
I have one good player,striker,83 ovr.
Plays one game,injured for a week,comes back,injured for 10 weeks,comes back,injured for 6 weeks.
That player has played 3 games,and been injured 17 weeks,and were in November.
Inj resistance maxed out.
And how about the technical brilliance by the CPU when you pressure them around the corner flag,and they always makes a few moves and comes out with the ball

I'm not really complaining,but the inj situation is over the top,that player has missed about 15 games each season,this season hell hardly play more than 15.
That's about 65 games missed in 4 season.

im gonna go with many people's decisions and going to play professional with manual passing, but the problem lies with the manual cross, it is atrocious and u never get a good cross on manual, i wish crosses were a bit directed for us because as it is on manual u can't play split second button press, the cross will go for goal kick

im gonna go with many people's decisions and going to play professional with manual passing, but the problem lies with the manual cross, it is atrocious and u never get a good cross on manual, i wish crosses were a bit directed for us because as it is on manual u can't play split second button press, the cross will go for goal kick

I've no problem with crossing . .it can be very hit and miss at times. . . .it's great when you get it right and score a beauty .. . you should go into training mode and practice crossing.

Im doing ok Rock . .on the periphery of the playoff places, my rating is 64-66-66 . . played a match this morning and got worried . .no fouls in the first half .. . but second half there was plenty so hopefully the other match was just a bogey ref. . .which is fine by me .. . .played Novara this morning and fell behind 1-3 but started to claw my way back with a change of tactics and a couple of subs. . . ..scored the equaliser near the end . .I love the way Esiti my Dmf performs a lovely trap and cool finish . . .unfortunately haven't got the replay just the actual footage .. .i know it's not a spectacular fancy goal but these goals are special in the context of the league.

Why do you always scores top class goals?

Olimpo redux, season 1

Highlight reel

You're a good player bro, nice share

Why do you always scores top class goals?

You're a good player bro, nice share

Ah Elja I'm blushing here lol .. . .. .most of my goals are very average . . a lot of the lads here score crackers . .. .Elja are you not playing Master league or are you in the PC forum all the time?. . like to see you here with some vids of your matches.

Ah Elja I'm blushing here lol .. . .. .most of my goals are very average . . a lot of the lads here score crackers . .. .Elja are you not playing Master league or are you in the PC forum all the time?. . like to see you here with some vids of your matches.

I have'nt been playing Master League, can't really get into this game yet. maybe after the november dlc we'll see. Played a little bit of pes 2016 last night and it felt better for me, maybe I'll just start a master league there, I don't know.

I have'nt been playing Master League, can't really get into this game yet. maybe after the november dlc we'll see. Played a little bit of pes 2016 last night and it felt better for me, maybe I'll just start a master league there, I don't know.

Wha? you don't like it? Are you playing Fifa? Thought you would have loved it .. .I really liked pes 2016 ML as well but this takes it up a notch. . .you might come back after November hopefully.

Now I have the PRO I finally started my ML with Notts Forest.

I sold some fringe players including Bendtner as Udinese offered me £10m!
I then went to Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U and brought in their young players on loan.
I have Mingolet, Grugic (whose ability goes through the roof after a few games), Depay, Loftus-Cheek, Zouma and Batshuayi

After a slow start I’m 4th having played 10 won 6 Drawn 3 and lost 1 but I’m out of the FA Cup after losing to Leeds Utd.

Wha? you don't like it? Are you playing Fifa? Thought you would have loved it .. .I really liked pes 2016 ML as well but this takes it up a notch. . .you might come back after November hopefully.

It's not that I don't like it, this game is good. Just some things bothers me like the famous catchup bug from pes 2014 that is obviously here again, and the goalies that in my opinion is overpowered. maybe it's because I played on superstar since last month's dlc, this could be the source of the heavy scripting. I haven't played this game for a week or so, I'm planing on giving the game another try tonight after reading James Beaver's post about the L2 manual passing, should probably lower the difficulty level to professional or something.. And about FIFA, I do sometimes play it, but I play single player mode. The AI variety is my biggest problem with that game, it is a good game though. I'm actually playing a lot of PES 5 lately, would be a great game if it had manual controls.

@Deco @geeeeee @Elja

I am eagerly awaiting your comments on L2 manual play.

I have a tight couple of days right now. Was only able to squeeze in one match yesterday. Lost it 1-0, but felt very much in control of what was happening in our offensive play. When we failed to build up and/or score, I felt it was because of my shortcomings, not the system. It was an excellent match.

To recap: L2 play is my attempt to achieve true manual play and circumvent event scripting when we are in possession. It could be placebo, but atm I think it's working.

After today I have trouble believing that manual shooting is truly manual.

I was down by one twice in a match. I pushed up A/D in both cases. And both times my CF scored a super accurate goal. First an amazing header from a cross to top corner, from a difficult body position. Second time shot that first hit the post.

I have heard people saying that PA0 passing isn't truly manual but L2+pass is. Does anyone here use L2+shot when shooting?

I tried out L2 and it made eveything very accurate .. .it sometimes felt too accurate as if I was playing Pa1 . ..it actually felt as if L2 was overriding manual and bringing it back to Pa1 in the same way that L2 brings Pa1 back to Pao. . . have to try it out some more.

I tried out L2 and it made eveything very accurate .. .it sometimes felt too accurate as if I was playing Pa1 . ..it actually felt as if L2 was overriding manual and bringing it back to Pa1 in the same way that L2 brings Pa1 back to Pao. . . have to try it out some more.
Ok. So completely conflicting views atm.

Maybe we should make target arrows visible? (Never tried them, but they are there, right?) That should be revealing.

At one point I tried to pass with advanced through balls only. That's true manual for sure. The problem there is that it interprets pass receiver in a specific way (through ball way, surprise). But if L2 fails, I will be returning to advanced tbs.

Continuing on the topic of L2 manual. Some gamers seem to think it overrides some stats completely:

https://forums.pesfan.com/showthread.php?265903-Full-Manual-2017/page2

Maybe that can be why it feels too accurate. Now whether that would be the type of "manual" one would want is another matter.

I'm not claiming that it changes it back to Pa1. . it just felt very accurate . unless I am naturally very accurate and that skill shone through by pressing L2 Lol . . .let's see what the other guys think .. . That was weird earlier I was typing my answer for you and you were typing the question at the same time. L2 has psychic qualities as well.

@Deco @geeeeee @Elja

I am eagerly awaiting your comments on L2 manual play.

I have a tight couple of days right now. Was only able to squeeze in one match yesterday. Lost it 1-0, but felt very much in control of what was happening in our offensive play. When we failed to build up and/or score, I felt it was because of my shortcomings, not the system. It was an excellent match.

To recap: L2 play is my attempt to achieve true manual play and circumvent event scripting when we are in possession. It could be placebo, but atm I think it's working.

Sorry James, had a really busy weekend. I will hopefully give it a go tomorrow as I want to upload highlights from my last 2 games some time today. It's kinda play 2 upload 2.

Are you using an elastic band on L2?

How deep into your Master Leagues are you?

I am sitting in 14th with Swansea. First season, mid November.

Can't decide whether Wide or the new version of wide camera is for me.

Now this is getting interesting.

I just made a little test video (below). It is in two parts. I put target arrows on in my personal data for this video.

In the first part I am making L2 passes, lobs and shots. The point was to examine whether these L2 actions are truly manual, or whether they are somehow magnetic. In that first part I am, among other things, intentionally trying to pass a bit "off" to see whether the pass would magnetically stick to the receiver.

Based on what I saw in that first part L2 passes seem to be true manual, not magnetic or assisted.

The first part ends in a goal. There is a short clip change between the first and second part (at 1:23).

In the second part I am trying to examine how regular (manual) actions differ from L2 actions. This is a bit more complicated. What I do at first is use L2 to show the direction of the left stick. I then release L2 and make a regular pass / shot to see whether the direction of that regular pass / shot differs from the true (L2) direction.

Based on what I am seeing, regular manual passes seem to go in the same direction as L2 passes. They don't seem to be magnetic.

(However, I suspect that in a match regular manual passes are sometimes scripted to opposition players, and regular manual shots are directed at goal corners, posts etc. But I have no proof of this.)

The last section of the latter part in the video is about lobs / crosses. I read on the pesfan forum today that manual crosses / lobs don't work as expected, especially in the offensive third. They are too powerful - their strength is incorrect. So in the last section I am making regular manual lobs and L2 lobs. The difference is radical.

Based on what I am seeing, the strength of regular manual lobs is broken, while manual L2 lobs work as desired.

And here is the video:

Now this is getting interesting.

I just made a little test video (below). It is in two parts. I put target arrows on in my personal data for this video.

In the first part I am making L2 passes, lobs and shots. The point was to examine whether these L2 actions are truly manual, or whether they are somehow magnetic. In that first part I am, among other things, intentionally trying to pass a bit "off" to see whether the pass would magnetically stick to the receiver.

Based on what I saw in that first part L2 passes seem to be true manual, not magnetic or assisted.

The first part ends in a goal. There is a short clip change between the first and second part (at 1:23).

In the second part I am trying to examine how regular (manual) actions differ from L2 actions. This is a bit more complicated. What I do at first is use L2 to show the direction of the left stick. I then release L2 and make a regular pass / shot to see whether the direction of that regular pass / shot differs from the true (L2) direction.

Based on what I am seeing, regular manual passes seem to go in the same direction as L2 passes. They don't seem to be magnetic.

(However, I suspect that in a match regular manual passes are sometimes scripted to opposition players, and regular manual shots are directed at goal corners, posts etc. But I have no proof of this.)

The last section of the latter part in the video is about lobs / crosses. I read on the pesfan forum today that manual crosses / lobs don't work as expected, especially in the offensive third. They are too powerful - their strength is incorrect. So in the last section I am making regular manual lobs and L2 lobs. The difference is radical.

Based on what I am seeing, the strength of regular manual lobs is broken, while manual L2 lobs work as desired.

And here is the video:

Interesting stuff. . .I did find that little lobs were less powerful with L2. . .. they seemed more controlled .. . .do you not think that the more powerful lobs etc are more natural and down to pressure and direction on the stick from the user which could be argued is more manual . .. any shots that I took with L2 were all on target ... where without L2 some were wayward which is what I would expect . .unless you are implying that the A.I is deliberately influencing them and pulling them wide and L2 is the true aim of the input from the user. Bit confusing.

Played a Quarter -Final Playoff match against Bari tonight in Serie B

Bugger!

I haven't won a playoff yet. .I smelt a rat when the first two goals went in . . .it was too easy. . .second half they turned the screw and were easily the better side . ..I noticed from the start that my players reactions were slower than normal ... second half my forwards were running at walking pace .. .that was my second season with Sampdoria . .Top Player manual 20 mins matches .. .roll on next season.

Interesting stuff. . .I did find that little lobs were less powerful with L2. . .. they seemed more controlled .. . .do you not think that the more powerful lobs etc are more natural and down to pressure and direction on the stick from the user which could be argued is more manual . ..
Are you saying that overly strong lobs are more realistic? The number of cases where I have overshot a lobbed through ball are too many to count. Up until my test yesterday I thought I was just bad at them, but now I know that it's actually the system. I think these lobs that are too strong happen way too often with regular manual controls to be realistic.

So I think regular manual lobs (in the final third) are genuinely broken.

any shots that I took with L2 were all on target ... where without L2 some were wayward which is what I would expect . .unless you are implying that the A.I is deliberately influencing them and pulling them wide and L2 is the true aim of the input from the user. Bit confusing.
That's the issue, isn't it. It would seem that L2 gives you true manual. There is a shot in that video above at 0:28 I missed intentionally, and it missed the goal. If your accuracy is worse with regular manual, then that's the stats and/or scripting kicking in.

Remember that my quest for L2 started from two miracle goals by me where I was basically certain that the system was working in my favor. So it may cut both ways. It seems L2 doesn't do any favors for you either.

If we assume that these are the options, then neither one is perfect.
  • Stat-independent true manual direction with L2.
  • Stat-dependent regular manual direction affected by momentum scripting.
But I will rather choose the first one. It's not like every L2 shot, for example, is perfect: body balance etc. will still affect shot quality.

Last edited:
Are you saying that overly strong lobs are more realistic? The number of cases where I have overshot a lobbed through ball are too many to count. Up until my test yesterday I thought I was just bad at them, but now I know that it's actually the system. I think these lobs that are too strong happen way too often with regular manual controls to be realistic.

So I think regular manual lobs (in the final third) are genuinely broken.

That's the issue, isn't it. It would seem that L2 gives you true manual. There is a shot in that video above at 0:28 I missed intentionally, and it missed the goal. If your accuracy is worse with regular manual, then that's the stats and/or scripting kicking in.

Remember that my quest for L2 started from two miracle goals by me where I was basically certain that the system was working in my favor. So it may cut both ways. It seems L2 doesn't do any favors for you either.

If we assume that these are the options, then neither one is perfect.
  • Stat-independent true manual direction with L2.
  • Stat-dependent regular manual direction affected by momentum scripting.
But I will rather choose the first one. It's not like every L2 shot, for example, is perfect: body balance etc. will still affect shot quality.

So the shooting / passing on Pa1 and Pa0 are determined by scripting. . . .doesn't make much difference which you use really . . .. .except Pa1 is more accurate. . . .it should really all depend on player input as regards direction and power .. . .I really thinks it's a bit silly that when playing Pa1 you use L2 for manual stuff and when you use Pao/manual you use L2 to implement manual.as well or a more 'manual' manual . . defeats the purpose of manual .. .they should have left it as Pa1 but with L2 for manual and scrap Pa0 if that's the case.. .I just wonder when some serious cheating/scripting kicks in and it's pre-determined that you lose the match if L2 shots/passing go astray even with the right input.

So the shooting / passing on Pa1 and Pa0 are determined by scripting. . . .doesn't make much difference which you use really . . .. .except Pa1 is more accurate. . . .it should really all depend on player input as regards direction and power .. . .I really thinks it's a bit silly that when playing Pa1 you use L2 for manual stuff and when you use Pao/manual you use L2 to implement manual.as well or a more 'manual' manual . . defeats the purpose of manual .. .they should have left it as Pa1 but with L2 for manual and scrap Pa0 if that's the case.. .I just wonder when some serious cheating/scripting kicks in and it's pre-determined that you lose the match if L2 shots/passing go astray even with the right input.
I don't think we have enough evidence to be that critical atm. The evidence is... circumstantial? But that type of thinking underlies my decision to go with L2 manual play from this point onwards.

I don't think we have enough evidence to be that critical atm. The evidence is... circumstantial? But that type of thinking underlies my decision to go with L2 manual play from this point onwards.

What type of thinking James? . .using logic? .. I'm not being critical I'm using reasoning to ascertain why L2 is on both Pa1 and Pa0.

Played a Quarter -Final Playoff match against Bari tonight in Serie B

Bugger!

I haven't won a playoff yet. .I smelt a rat when the first two goals went in . . .it was too easy. . .second half they turned the screw and were easily the better side . ..I noticed from the start that my players reactions were slower than normal ... second half my forwards were running at walking pace .. .that was my second season with Sampdoria . .Top Player manual 20 mins matches .. .roll on next season.

sorry mate but Bari don't roll over for anybody ;)

Back
Top Bottom