The Master League adventures thread

My theory is that the cpu affects the human players effectiveness at certain times during a match (moving slower, running slower, turning slower, passing , shooting slower etc). Im ok with this as it does try to simulate the ebbs and flows of real matches.

It forces the human player to dig deeper for solutions (tactics , strategy and the way you play), which I think shows the depth of this game.

I might have to eat my words lads . .I just had two games this morning and they were magnificent matches . .back to the way it played 3 days ago. No charging around nice balanced play .. brill.

My theory is that the cpu affects the human players effectiveness at certain times during a match (moving slower, running slower, turning slower, passing , shooting slower etc). Im ok with this as it does try to simulate the ebbs and flows of real matches.

It forces the human player to dig deeper for solutions (tactics , strategy and the way you play), which I think shows the depth of this game.
This.

The problem is that you may not know beforehand when the CPU will have an advantage. Example. Played against Temperley today. Their stats are lower than ours. Superstar, full manual. From the first longer pass I could tell they had the momentum, because of the way the CPU intercepted that pass. That is a sure sign: passes that would usually make it to the receiver start being snatched by the opposition. Then you know you need more space than usual, you will see them reacting faster etc.

Here are the stats for that match.

oli_tem.jpg

Here is my goal of the day:

I might have to eat my words lads . .I just had two games this morning and they were magnificent matches . .back to the way it played 3 days ago. No charging around nice balanced play .. brill.
Regarding the possible changes / complaints, today I saw
  • mainly midfield battles (very little end to end)
  • plenty of CPU fouls, including double yellow for a red, and four right outside the box.

Still haven't seen anything that would support degradation in ML quality. And it continues to be difficult as ever.

Regarding the possible changes / complaints, today I saw
  • mainly midfield battles (very little end to end)
  • plenty of CPU fouls, including double yellow for a red, and four right outside the box.

Still haven't seen anything that would support degradation in ML quality. And it continues to be difficult as ever.
Good news.
Cheers

Yesterday I played two friendly matches with Portugal and the FA cup match against Chelsea.

Portugal 3-1 England: Nothing to say here, England wasn´t even trying. Usually my national matches start a bit calm, with few chances, and then in the second half the team "clicks" and creates chances after chances.
Portugal 3-0 Chile: Chile was hard to beat, but once again, second half was a one way match.

QPR 1-3 Chelsea
Another match against Chelsea, and again, no chance at all. What pisses me off was the fact that I had Chelsea on the second round of the cup... I kinda knew already I wouldn´t go through. Last year on second round I had Arsenal, same story. Chelsea were a bit overpowered too, they nailed everything, and I couldn´t do a single pass. David Luiz and Kanté had a mission: to break Lobato´s legs, and they almost did it! Second half and Lobato had to be assisted two times. Really no chance on this one. Good thing, Negredo scored his first oficial goal for QPR, hope he can make a jump now and start to pay off.

Regarding gameplay changes in ML...

The best thing to do to minimise that on-rails feeling is to keep your game offline (PS4). The gameplay for me tends to feel 'right' most of the time as long as I have separate online/offline sessions. If I want to play my Avellino ML, or exhibitions, I stay offline. If I want to play online, I sign in, but will always quit and reopen to play offline modes.

Exhibition mode this year also does not play as well as it should unless you avoid that annoying initial 'Live Update' that happens every time. To do this, you just need to uncheck 'Connect to Network' in the network settings until you get to the team selection screen. Then you can feel free to check it again, as you won't be prompted a second time during a single instance of play. The offline game for whatever reason gets contaminated by the online environment/concurrent loading patterns.

The graphics and lighting seem to take a hit when playing offline modes while connected to the server. They become slightly jagged and more washed out. Usually, I can tell just by observing the animations and anti-aliasing in the pre-match formalities whether the match I am about to play will have shit gameplay. This is borne out of years of trying workarounds for the bizarre PES gameplay glitches, so this stuff ain't new.

All Konami need to do is put more care into maintaining consistency for the end user... there shouldn't be such large gaps in experience between different modes, and needing to do X to get Y result.

Regarding gameplay changes in ML...

The best thing to do to minimise that on-rails feeling is to keep your game offline (PS4). The gameplay for me tends to feel 'right' most of the time as long as I have separate online/offline sessions. If I want to play my Avellino ML, or exhibitions, I stay offline. If I want to play online, I sign in, but will always quit and reopen to play offline modes.

Exhibition mode this year also does not play as well as it should unless you avoid that annoying initial 'Live Update' that happens every time. To do this, you just need to uncheck 'Connect to Network' in the network settings until you get to the team selection screen. Then you can feel free to check it again, as you won't be prompted a second time during a single instance of play. The offline game for whatever reason gets contaminated by the online environment/concurrent loading patterns.

The graphics and lighting seem to take a hit when playing offline modes while connected to the server. They become slightly jagged and more washed out. Usually, I can tell just by observing the animations and anti-aliasing in the pre-match formalities whether the match I am about to play will have shit gameplay. This is borne out of years of trying workarounds for the bizarre PES gameplay glitches, so this stuff ain't new.

All Konami need to do is put more care into maintaining consistency for the end user... there shouldn't be such large gaps in experience between different modes, and needing to do X to get Y result.

I get what you're saying and I stay offline when playing Master League . . .I had 3 matches this afternoon and the scripting was a bit over the the top . .they were good games but in the first match my defender ran away from their forward to allow him to score and the next goal was nonsensical. . . .the forward wrapped his leg around my defender to rocket a shot in .. physically impossible .. .. the last game was one of those where the AI got to every ball before me and hit perfect passes to each other . . .I couldn't get near the box or string 2 passes together . .I don't mind scripting. . .but the other day the game played completely different to the way it normally plays and did so for 2 days. . now it's back to normal.

I get what you're saying and I stay offline when playing Master League . . .I had 3 matches this afternoon and the scripting was a bit over the the top . .they were good games but in the first match my defender ran away from their forward to allow him to score and the next goal was nonsensical. . . .the forward wrapped his leg around my defender to rocket a shot in .. physically impossible .. .. the last game was one of those where the AI got to every ball before me and hit perfect passes to each other . . .I couldn't get near the box or string 2 passes together . .I don't mind scripting. . .but the other day the game played completely different to the way it normally plays and did so for 2 days. . now it's back to normal.

Yep, when the game does this, it's hard to know what to say. The crazy thing is that it can come good again, but there really isn't a definitive answer as to how and why... generally though, although it will indeed get better, it won't be quite as smooth or responsive as it was in the beginning of the ML.

Konami introduced TeamVision for PES 2008. This is where I suspect stability problems began in campaign type modes... it's still in there under a different name, they've reimagined it a few times now.

Great games tonight
First up Sassuolo away,not the best I've played,but a great game,none of the hassles of previous days

And then this game....
Sampdoria at home,the mother of all games.
It had all that I whined about a few days ago.Freekicks,very tough opponents,yellow cards,a sending off,me chasing a win,and....
A penalty!
You saw it,a penalty!
Great game,felt like the old days (last week?)

Last edited:
Great games tonight
First up Sassuolo away,not the best I've played,but a great game,none of the hassles of previous days

And then this game....
Sampdoria at home,the mother of all games.
It had all that I whined about a few days ago.Freekicks,very tough opponents,yellow cards,a sending off,me chasing a win,and....
A penalty!
You saw it,a penalty!
Great game,felt like the old days (last week?)

Great vids Rock . . Milan v Sampdoria looked a cracker and your second goal was fab. .. the break did you good. . . . I'm about to start a new Ml with Sampdoria defaults.. I deleted the last one in a rage, I sussed a few things out buddy. . .the AI plays that mad paced game for a couple of matches and then goes back to normal ...I think short grass is the culprit . . .I put my att/def lower at the start of both halves as the AI likes an early start of a goal usually from a 1-2 or a long ball where the forward finds himself alone but I can live with the scripting as some games are marvellous.

i think this is the most debated game ever its really amazing how each and every person who plays the game can have frustrating and or amazing time playing thr game i just want to know why cant konami make a stable game on all front, we want the unprdictability but sometimes player responsiveness is way too much or at least lately i just want to know what is the right amount of responsivness in this game, is there any reference we can check to know?

Great vids Rock . . Milan v Sampdoria looked a cracker and your second goal was fab. .. the break did you good. . . . I'm about to start a new Ml with Sampdoria defaults.. I deleted the last one in a rage, I sussed a few things out buddy. . .the AI plays that mad paced game for a couple of matches and then goes back to normal ...I think short grass is the culprit . . .I put my att/def lower at the start of both halves as the AI likes an early start of a goal usually from a 1-2 or a long ball where the forward finds himself alone but I can live with the scripting as some games are marvellous.
Me to,ive started to use a low A/D level at the start for every game.
Samdoria will be a good fit for you

lovely goal! i saw that pass on and i was screaming for you to make it, unbelieveable finish too
I often miss those runs further away from the action.

The shot was R2 (for control) and wait... wait... go! One thing I have learned is to shoot as early as possible. They won't give me a lot of time with the ball.

I am considering restarting. First, I think I need to add constraints to make team management more challenging. Youth academy players are way too good. Any suggestions? One option is to set a maximum limit of one signed prospect for each transfer window. Or one per year?

I am also considering dropping down to top player again. There are many aspects in superstar that I really like, but some (stat boosts) I don't. An intermediate option is top player at home and superstar away.

Alright this is so strange, so after 5 matches of unusual scripting/cheaty/momentum events, starting from my 6th match, it's back to normal. I can now pass fine and the response time between my players is much more faster. This is how the game should be all the matches. I don't know their design decision to implementing a handicap system to make the game harder. All it makes the game is more frustrating.

Alright this is so strange, so after 5 matches of unusual scripting/cheaty/momentum events, starting from my 6th match, it's back to normal. I can now pass fine and the response time between my players is much more faster. This is how the game should be all the matches. I don't know their design decision to implementing a handicap system to make the game harder. All it makes the game is more frustrating.

It's like a rotation system Mehtab. .. 2 great matches 5 stinkers with ott scripting . . 2 dour draws then jumble them up and see what order they land in .. .we just have to take the rough with the smooth .. .frustrating part is that you realise 2 mins into the match which way it will probably play out.

Just did a restart on my Olimpo career. Went through the first transfer window, switching to a 4-2-3-1, strengthening the defense and selling some older players. Have over 17 mil in transfer funds as a result of the cleanup. A new rule is that I can only sign one youth player in each transfer window. Naturally brought in Gallarjo. Also bought two CBs and an RB, all young.

Target of this Olimpo redux is to reach the South American CL - whatever it's called - in five years (need to finish in top 4, I think). I will be playing at top player, full manual, not using x-button to pressure but only double-x to tackle.

All pumped up. Won't be writing that much but the plan is to upload highlight reels.

This game has been very good today.

AC Milan 2-0 Manchester City
Played that game so smart,defending then counter attacks

AC Milan 1-3 Juventus
Top team that were to tough,Higuain not controllable,good game though.

Inter 1-0 AC Milan
Fatigued going into this game,Inter scoring early,couldn't respond.

Manchester City 1-1 AC Milan
A very defensive lineup from me,7/11 being squad players,held out

I managed to pull through to the quarterfinals of the CL,I'm facing PSG,that's how far I got last year,aiming to get to the semis this year.

I'm in the Coppa Italia finals,like last year when I won it.

After 33 games I'm leading the Serie A with one point clear of Napoli,Juventus 3pts behind.
Looking to be a good season again,main focus is the league as always.

This game has been very good today.

AC Milan 2-0 Manchester City
Played that game so smart,defending then counter attacks

AC Milan 1-3 Juventus
Top team that were to tough,Higuain not controllable,good game though.

Inter 1-0 AC Milan
Fatigued going into this game,Inter scoring early,couldn't respond.

Manchester City 1-1 AC Milan
A very defensive lineup from me,7/11 being squad players,held out

I managed to pull through to the quarterfinals of the CL,I'm facing PSG,that's how far I got last year,aiming to get to the semis this year.

I'm in the Coppa Italia finals,like last year when I won it.

After 33 games I'm leading the Serie A with one point clear of Napoli,Juventus 3pts behind.
Looking to be a good season again,main focus is the league as always.
it's good that you dont get frustrated by the draws or losses, i get really mad lol.
i don t know what s wrong with my man city team, i fiddle with every kind of formation and still find the team not able to stomp authority on the play in my epl campaign in ML, i can't win, there is something wrong with the build up of my team, or players are not strong enough.i found that playing 4-3-3 actually suits them but the defensive side of their game is pretty weak, i guess the cbs aren;t that strong ottamendi and kompany, they lack something.

Last edited:
Having some great games with Sampdoria . . .bought players to fit my system .. hardly a default player left on the team. . playing more defensive lately after a 3-0 hammering in the first match. . .got knocked out of the Tim cup on penos .. great fun .. ..won a couple of tight games with a single goal. .. and ended last night beating Cesena 2-1 great game .. .. 3 formations 4-5-1. . . 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 . . usually one of those setups will counter most teams.

Having some great games with Sampdoria . . .bought players to fit my system .. hardly a default player left on the team. . playing more defensive lately after a 3-0 hammering in the first match. . .got knocked out of the Tim cup on penos .. great fun .. ..won a couple of tight games with a single goal. .. and ended last night beating Cesena 2-1 great game .. .. 3 formations 4-5-1. . . 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 . . usually one of those setups will counter most teams.
the penalty system is total rubbish, so easy for the keeper to save and shots go very often astray, whole system is just so so bad.

the penalty system is total rubbish, so easy for the keeper to save and shots go very often astray, whole system is just so so bad.

It's so difficult to judge how much power and direction to put into it in a penalty shootout. . .they're easier to score in a match for some reason . . .I dread penalty shootouts.

Last edited:
it's good that you dont get frustrated by the draws or losses, i get really mad lol.
i don t know what s wrong with my man city team, i fiddle with every kind of formation and still find the team not able to stomp authority on the play in my epl campaign in ML, i can't win, there is something wrong with the build up of my team, or players are not strong enough.i found that playing 4-3-3 actually suits them but the defensive side of their game is pretty weak, i guess the cbs aren;t that strong ottamendi and kompany, they lack something.
I try to build my team from GK and up,a good goalkeeper,strong CBs and creative Lb/RB.
And trying to get players with specialities, "anchor man"/dummy runner/leader.

I try to build my team from GK and up,a good goalkeeper,strong CBs and creative Lb/RB.
And trying to get players with specialities, "anchor man"/dummy runner/leader.

You mean the best keeper in the game . .no wonder you don't concede much lol. .. .when we played Pes in the early days around 2000. . .. a friend of mine would always pick Ukraine or Russia because of the keepers.

Olimpo redux, season 1, fixture 1

Settings: top player, full manual, 20 minutes.

Report on match: Arsenal de Sarandí - Olimpo

Highlight reel (stats and standings at end)

First match, team spirit 47, played very defensively throughout the match. Did not realize to launch enough runs manually. Almost got punished by the CPU at the end.

One point from first away match. Happy with that. But attacking was anemic.

Unfortunately no more time to play today. Really looking forward to continuing!

You mean the best keeper in the game . .no wonder you don't concede much lol. .. .when we played Pes in the early days around 2000. . .. a friend of mine would always pick Ukraine or Russia because of the keepers.
Ha ha, he's fucking awesome.
17 years old,and it's he's second year as the GK for Milan.
I think I've conceded 16 goals in 33 leauge games.
Top bloke

Sorry mates I saw your videos and I saw that your pace is slower than mine. Please can you tell me what speed you use in game? Maybe I have to go to -1? I have read that at -1 gameplay is sluggish and best speed is 0. Sorry mates I'm very very confused. I like slow pace but not sluggish and not real players motion. I'm on pc. Thanks a lot in advance.

Sorry mates I saw your videos and I saw that your pace is slower than mine. Please can you tell me what speed you use in game? Maybe I have to go to -1? I have read that at -1 gameplay is sluggish and best speed is 0. Sorry mates I'm very very confused. I like slow pace but not sluggish and not real players motion. I'm on pc. Thanks a lot in advance.

-1 and it's not sluggish,you can perform moves quickly anyway

Back
Top Bottom