The Master League adventures thread

Ha ha,you're right,I always bottle it when I play Juve/Inter/Roma,everything I've learned down the crapper.
But it's getting better and better,try to practice at least once a day,warm up for my gaming session.
Don't need to think as much now as before.
Since we're veterans in the biz,it's strange how hard the learning curve was on this one
But I'll guess we'll be enjoying it more then

I got a few games done.
I've been on TP for some games now,since my Derby,5-6 games.
And yes,there's a difference,of course,but not as much as I I've suspected.
Plays a bit rougher on TP,less time with the ball aswell.

Milan vs Roma
Scored on my first attempt,a lofted ball in their 6 yard box,def tried to beat me to it,got a foot on it,and did him,rolled it past the keeper,on his far post,that sweet sound of the ball hitting the post and in,klonk.....swish!
They were quite dull,didn't push up much until the last 15, I kept my Df line in order and a corner late on were the only real danger.
Didn't create much either
1-0 AC Milan

Us Citta Di Palermo vs AC Milan
This was a tougher game,nasty team,played very dirty.
Got away on a break early on,and slotted in 1-0,got a few meters on their two last defender and curled it bottom corner.
25th minute,2 vs 3 situation,tried to chip it over the two defender covering my striker,the ball hits the head on one of them and bounced back to Bacca,who had a open lane for goal and made it 2-0
They scored on me late first,a beuty,ball into my box,their striker took it on the left foot,nutmegged the defender behind him,just poked it in on my GK
Didn't have time to react.
2nd half
Cross,to Bacca,who handled the ball great,pushed away their def with his shoulder,created some space and banged it home.
70th minute they got a week penalty.
Fellow swede Hiljemark took it,but Donnarumma made a great save.
80th minute,a header from Bacca,tipped by the GK,Bertolacci got the rebound,hits the post,out to Ninang who shot it via their desperately fighting keeper for 4-1
Also had a header hitting the crossbar in extra time.
Game ended 4-1.
Next up Atalanta away,final game before the transfer window opens.
Sitting in 6th

That's about my limit aswell,I'm trying to rotate a bit more now,the difference between my preferred 11 and reserves is 83-63 in TS

You guys now what I like the most of keeping with 20 mins matches? Not the match it self, but the fact that I can´t play too many matches in each session. I believe that three matches is eneough for one session. After that, it all starts to be overwhelming, and I start to loose concentration wich leads to frustration. So I guess that´s it: Top Player, PA0, 20 mins matches. 3 matches a day, sweet spot.

Sounds smart,usually play about 3-4 games a session.
Will go for 20 aswell.
Feel any difference between 15-20m in gameplay?
I remember it played vey good on 16, problem,it was to easy to score.
But the flow and pace were great on 20 min

Ok major update, so I´ll try to make it short.

Had a long session since my latest update, first match against Wolves. I knew it was going to be hard, they had fast wingers and they were giving me trouble all the time. Worse, they scored soon so I had to push up, and as a result, it was a one way match. I had posession but couldn´t do anything great with it. Gladon was a constant threat and I was always being caught with their speed. had no chance on this one.

Wolves 2-0 QPR
----------------------------------------------------

Next, Sheffield U away. Started god, taking our chances. Zoua and Niellendner were slowly becoming important on this match, and after a couple attempts from long range, came an oportunity on my box for Sheffield. The ball wasn´t kicked away and Hunt, with an individual play, finds the net and leaves us in shock. Second half and we didn´t quit, kept our calm and made our game. Henry (DM) and Polter were trying to get there, but no luck on the shots. All of a sudden, things started runing really well, passes, runs... great moves from QPR, and in a ball recovery in the opponents half, we finally scored. Wehad a boost from that goal so we looked for the next one. 78´ and a bit mistake from Sheffield´s defence... Corner to QPR and they let Niellendner completely alone in the box. Perfect header to 1-2.

Sheffield U. 1-2 QPR

Now things started to go wrong... really wrong. First against Reading, in our owm house. Team was very diferent, and lack of creativity was a problem all over the pitch. Reading score twice in a short period of time and we simply could not do anything. Only rough attempts wishing for the best. We did score in a corner, but thank to a GK mistake who couldn´t hold the ball properly after Polter´s header. Our keeper on the other hand, saved us from a bigger result for Reading.

QPR 1 - 2 Reading

Next, Preston North End, sitting low in the league table, was a chance for us to get up and get things runing, right...?
Wrong, depiste being favorites for this one, we were playing like amateurs, got totally dominated in shots and pass %. A sad and empty game with no goals. 2 points lost.

QPR 0-0 Preston NE

To get things even worse, we met the league leaders, Norwich City. They had lots of chances, we only had two shots total, so things were not good for us. We had an early goal, great move by Polter in a corner kick, reaches the ball before the keeper and flicks it in. 1-0 at 7 mins. We knew we weren´t playing very well and this was a motivated team, so we defended for the rest of the match. Our defence clearly has problems covering space and later in the match Norwich manages to score. 1-1, lots of fouls, not so bad result after all.

QPR 1-1 Norwich City
-----------------------------------------------------

FA Cup, against Leeds. We know, this was a cup game, so it had to be harder. We fought well, but Leeds was the one who scored. Could go either way, but in the end we lost... oh well, that´s football.

Leeds 1-0 QPR

Barnsley at home. We dominated this match, but Barnsley scored first. Once again, our defence keeps leting those through balls easily in. We created chances and Barnsley was stoping them, almost aways with fouls, with led to yellows and a red for their side. One of the fouls gives the oportunity to Chery to do what he does best... and he did it, freekick = 1-1. Rest of the match was a mix of failled attempts and fight club. Should have won this one...

QPR 1-1 Barnsley

Finally, home match against Blackburn Rovers. Changed some things on the formation to make it more stable in defense, It seemed to have worked. We played defensively and kept our posession. It resulted in a boring game, but we finally won. Goal was a lucky moment though, the defense tried to cut the pass and instead it made an assist to Polter. Still have to improve alot!!!

QPR 1-0 Blackburn
Rough rough spell there mate

Master League Chapter 4:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game: Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution (PC)
Team: Southampton with geeeeee 's alternative ML Default players (2014-15 OF)
Dificulty: 6 stars

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if it's too much text to read, the drama is increasing and i-m starting to be more descriptive :P

Season 2 (5 league games left)
Vs Derby County
I end up sticking to my 4-4-2 diamond but tweak it a bit to make it more ofensive

(SMFs further up the pitch and CFs making really agressive runs towards the flanks to

open up the defense, then the OMF pushing to find the gaps in the center)

I totally dominate possesion but managing very few chances. Derby County are trying

the counter attack with the diagonal lofted through ball, but my keeper collects it

every time.

Nearing 70 minutes (0-0) i start to grow impatient. I'm not loosing but still can't

realy afford another draw either.

Then one of those priceless PES momments happens out of the blue.
I make a great pass exchange on the flank, and gain the by line, put a perfect cross

and my CF jumps unmarked to head for goal from close range...

...but he misses the header, although not totaly, he still manages to clumsly bump

the ball with his shoulder and the ball loops over the keeper onto the crossbar! my

player actualy goes into th goal with the momentum as the ball pings slowly off the

bar the keeper in a panic dives back towards goal to grab it, but in the process

trips my player and they both fall in a bundle inside the goal.

Penalty awarded! Keeper Red card!

lol don't you just love PES!

I stress, but pray for the best and slot it home.
1-0 South Hampton =) Finnaly some luck comes my way

Sensing defeat Derby County start attacking even with 10 men (they basically give up

midfield) and imediately create a header chance from a cross.

I go into the tactics screen and reposition my team more defensively.

At minute 85 they Lob a verticall throughball over the shoulder of my SB and their

atacker jostles my CB out of the way as the ball bounces temptatingly on the right

side of the box, my keeper comes out to narrow the angle and the attacker strikes a

1st time volley straight at the far post rattling the net for the equalizer to my

despair...

Well played CPU, a magnificient finish

I go back to the tactics screen an quickly setup an all attack formation.

I imediately start creating chances, with one giving me a corner as we enter stopage

time.

I curl the corner into the box and find one of my CFs unmarked at near post, but his

heading stats are crap and he heads it over.

As I'm playing 15 minutes Stoppage time is still long enough to create on more chance

that I fluf agains the keeper.

Final whistle 1-1
440 points won (or 400 lost :P)

Season 2 (4 league games left)
Vs Cardiff City
Swift (my tall strong target CF) is finnaly back from a long injury, but he has a

grey arrow and so I leave him on the bench.

Cardiff start off showing real thread down the flanks (the weak spot of my diamond

midfield) creating numerous chances, I fail to act on it and end up going predicably

1-0 down with another great finish by the CPU as he shimmies around a defender's

slide tackle and shoots a powerfull drive into the roof of the net at the near post.

The CPU is really scoring some wonder goals here...

I dont let my morale go down, and imediately start to try and get back level.

I win a dangerous freeckick on the corner edge of the box.
I take it really well, the keeper is beaten but it hits the very outsitde edge of the

goal top corner...
...it falls to one of my men, I calmly feint the shot and cut inside the paniced

defender tackle and place it with an R2 curler on the far post it hits the post! and

bounces straight to another of my attackers, in the panick of selecting him and

shooting into the empty net I press L1 and shoot....
...and despair as I acidentaly lob it straight over the bar... if there was a hole on

the pitch that player would gladly bury his head deep inside it.

I keep at it and after some high pressure from my CF i manage to intercept a pass

between their defenders which puts me right through 1-1 with the keeper. but once

again feeling the presure of the importance of each chance I hit it agains the

onrushing keeper and anothe rchance goes begging.

I decide to bring on Swift the tall guy and start playing long balls to him.

I imediately start to dominate creating chances and winning corners, one of wich

gives me an equalizer via a header after a lofted corner cross to Swift.

Manager bet pays off =)

At min 65 i manage to play a through ball to my OMF after great hold up play from

Swift, and the CPU fouls me from behind right at the edge of the box as a last

resort.
CB is sent-off and I get a great chance with a close free kick...
...but my FK taker is the player that got fouled from behind and is getting medical

assistance...
I miss the FK and a few more chances until the end of the game.

1-1, another draw

with 3 league games left i have 5,101 pts and need 10,403

If I manage to win the 5 friendlies maybe its still possible, but losing any match

will be almost a game over sentence.

Next match: Vs Leicester City the current league leaders.
Its snowing! not a great sign, as my already crap players become even slower and the

ball harder to control.

But its incredible how much better my team is with Sift in the starting eleven.
Leicester set themselves up on the counter attack as i dominate possesion.

I build up a move with Swift making a run into open space on the right and calmly

square for one of my on-rushing midfielders for the easiest of tap ins. If only i

could rountinely open up defenses like this.

I'm starting to develop a great crossing technique to take advantage of Swift's

height. I cross with R2 and imediatly press backwards not sure if this has any effect

but tend to get a great high floaty ball this way. I score from a corner like this.

Put it on the back post and swift heads it satisfyingly into the ground jumping in

between 2 defenders.

Can't remember the last time i had been 2-0 up!

But i imediately throw the 2 goal lead away after conceding a stupid penalty kick for

a reckless late sliding tackle on the edge of the box. I'm furious at myself but

determined to hold on for the precious win, this time I will keep the tactics to

avoid going too defensive.

I manage to hold on for the 2-1 win against the leaders.
Delighted!

Finances: 5,941 of 10,403 pts
there is still hope!

Vs West Ham
West Ham dramatically knocked me out of the D2 Cup earlier in the season, it's time

for retribution.

I start exploring the flanks and winning a lot of corners where I always create

danger with the high lofted balls to Swift.
I end up scoring a header with him off the bar and in.

Looks like this is going to be my play style for a while.

At the start of the 2nd half my defense is caught of guard and they get a runner

through on goal, I come across with my LSB and lunge in before the atacker enters the

box... red card.

I sacrifice my central OMF and end up playing with a flat 4-3-2 for the rest of the

game.

With 10 mins to go i get a taste of my own medicine, they score via a lofted corner

to Andy Carol. 1-1

And with 10 men I am unable to mount a comeback.
they push me back and end up scoring the winner with 2 mins to go.
I loose 2-1, should have gone all defense to protect the precious draw...
Its starting to look bad again for Southampton.

With only 1 league game and 5 potential friendlies left I still need to find

~4,500pts somewhere or let go of some players to decreasse costs if needed.

Totally disillusioned with this game at the moment . ..I'll have to swallow my pride and drop down to professional or give it up .. . .Ml on top player is throwing up unrealistic scenarios . .in 3 matches now my opponents have gone down to 10 men at the start of the match and I proceed to dominate and miss 10 clear chances . .the norm. .. second half they come out like Barca and beat me by 3 or 4 goals . .every time . .. .. tactics go out the window as you look to see what has changed . . . nothing . .. unless 11 fresh players came out for them in the second half disguised as the other players. . . .pain in the rocks doesn't describe it. . bottom of the division all season. . and how can I change it for the second season? Buy 2 players rated 70?. .. .sure what can they do about it?

Some thing's in the gameplay really get my goat......you can't dribble past more than 2 players well 1 probably. . .you rarely get to shoot. . .no penalties unless you dive. . ..every shot has to be perfect same with passing. . .but the A.I is perfect. . . you don't get a second on the ball in the final third. Pes 2016 ML post patch was enjoyable . .this is a chore. I find if I do score a great goal I don't jump out of my seat. . .I let out a sigh of relief that I actually managed to score. To make matters worse I skipped the last 5 matches and they put them down as wins for me by default lol you couldn't make it up.

The deal is this for me. . .. stick with the same team and the same squad and in the second season down to professional and hope it's not too easy.

Last edited:
OK getting ready to start properly, I have had one on the go but its been more of a feeler, albeit great fun. However now I know a bit more about the nuances, where I have to exert self control for realism sake and have all the Copa Libertadores teams in now, so at least theres a pool of South American talent added to the database.

Going to stick with 10 minutes, Top Player, full manual.. club team squad. Ill update as I get on!

Totally disillusioned with this game at the moment . ..I'll have to swallow my pride and drop down to professional or give it up .. . .Ml on top player is throwing up unrealistic scenarios . .in 3 matches now my opponents have gone down to 10 men at the start of the match and I proceed to dominate and miss 10 clear chances . .the norm. .. second half they come out like Barca and beat me by 3 or 4 goals . .every time . .. .. tactics go out the window as you look to see what has changed . . . nothing . .. unless 11 fresh players came out for them in the second half disguised as the other players. . . .pain in the rocks doesn't describe it. . bottom of the division all season. . and how can I change it for the second season? Buy 2 players rated 70?. .. .sure what can they do about it?

Some thing's in the gameplay really get my goat......you can't dribble past more than 2 players well 1 probably. . .you rarely get to shoot. . .no penalties unless you dive. . ..every shot has to be perfect same with passing. . .but the A.I is perfect. . . you don't get a second on the ball in the final third. Pes 2016 ML post patch was enjoyable . .this is a chore. I find if I do score a great goal I don't jump out of my seat. . .I let out a sigh of relief that I actually managed to score. To make matters worse I skipped the last 5 matches and they put them down as wins for me by default lol you couldn't make it up.

The deal is this for me. . .. stick with the same team and the same squad and in the second season down to professional and hope it's not too easy.

Yeah I feell you man! I played another match this morning. I was actually doing great stuff, playing all out attack because I got an early goal for Brighton... Managed to get the 1-1 and it seemed to me I had the chance for a second goal. Brighton wasn´t abble to counter my team attacking as soon as we got the ball. Manual pass is still a learning process but I was risking it all, lobing balls all over, through ball attempts etc... with just a little bit of cold blood I could have scored a couple more. Instead, my defence was risking a lot, and my nervous attempts to keep posession led to one mistake (2-1) and a lucky loose ball in the box... 3-1 to Brighton. Unfair as hell, it was a great match, very action packed, but those 3 goals felt so unfair that makes me think what the hell I´m I doing on Top Player? I should be fighting for the top of the league table, not struggling to get a single point on each match!

I dunno... have to try a couple more but I doubt I will keep playing manual in Top Player for long...

Sounds smart,usually play about 3-4 games a session.
Will go for 20 aswell.
Feel any difference between 15-20m in gameplay?
I remember it played vey good on 16, problem,it was to easy to score.
But the flow and pace were great on 20 min

Hard to say, I only played 15 mins a couple times, very diferent matches and modes. Sometimes I feel 20 is too much, but at the same time, on those tight matches, I don´t even notice! Time flies when you´re really doing everything to get a good result.

Deco is that really you?

Seriously I think the TS is overpowered. As I mentioned before when I was playing Aston Villa my TS was around 38-40. I have a feeling that their 'hidden' one was around 70 especially as they have just got relegated. There was a huge difference in skill and luck. They were so much better, my players were sluggish and could hardly control the ball. They would hammer me 6, 7, 8 nil. But then I quit and really looked at my tactics, changed them, and came out with a team with about 50 TS. That made a huge difference and we won 2-0.

I think for you to be playing with the Defaults with around 30 TS that would be almost impossible especially on Top Player.

My team now is moving up to TS 58 and I really hope that it doesn't start to get too easy so that I have to move up to Top Player. I suppose it's about getting the balance between feeling that me personally is improving and also the team. I think PES5 nailed it in that regard because the Defaults got better gradually in different areas of the pitch. Rather than the whole team improve all over the pitch in one go. Not sure if that makes sense what I just said.

Deco, drop to Prof. If that doesn't work then start again with a rubbish team with the original line up and see how you do.

Deco is that really you?

Seriously I think the TS is overpowered. As I mentioned before when I was playing Aston Villa my TS was around 38-40. I have a feeling that their 'hidden' one was around 70 especially as they have just got relegated. There was a huge difference in skill and luck. They were so much better, my players were sluggish and could hardly control the ball. They would hammer me 6, 7, 8 nil. But then I quit and really looked at my tactics, changed them, and came out with a team with about 50 TS. That made a huge difference and we won 2-0.

I think for you to be playing with the Defaults with around 30 TS that would be almost impossible especially on Top Player.

My team now is moving up to TS 58 and I really hope that it doesn't start to get too easy so that I have to move up to Top Player. I suppose it's about getting the balance between feeling that me personally is improving and also the team. I think PES5 nailed it in that regard because the Defaults got better gradually in different areas of the pitch. Rather than the whole team improve all over the pitch in one go. Not sure if that makes sense what I just said.

Deco, drop to Prof. If that doesn't work then start again with a rubbish team with the original line up and see how you do.

Thanks for the advice Geeee my Ts was up to 55-60. . . just made the A'i play even better.

Yeah I feell you man! I played another match this morning. I was actually doing great stuff, playing all out attack because I got an early goal for Brighton... Managed to get the 1-1 and it seemed to me I had the chance for a second goal. Brighton wasn´t abble to counter my team attacking as soon as we got the ball. Manual pass is still a learning process but I was risking it all, lobing balls all over, through ball attempts etc... with just a little bit of cold blood I could have scored a couple more. Instead, my defence was risking a lot, and my nervous attempts to keep posession led to one mistake (2-1) and a lucky loose ball in the box... 3-1 to Brighton. Unfair as hell, it was a great match, very action packed, but those 3 goals felt so unfair that makes me think what the hell I´m I doing on Top Player? I should be fighting for the top of the league table, not struggling to get a single point on each match!

I dunno... have to try a couple more but I doubt I will keep playing manual in Top Player for long...

Hard to say, I only played 15 mins a couple times, very diferent matches and modes. Sometimes I feel 20 is too much, but at the same time, on those tight matches, I don´t even notice! Time flies when you´re really doing everything to get a good result.

Are you using default players?. . . .I am . ..driven demented here.

Still like the game, but i agree that Team Spirit is overpowered.
I managed to have a winning streak with Racing de Avallanda and suddenly my Team Spirit is getting much higher (currently 63).
IMO with higher team spirit the players are a litle bit faster, less clumsy and more robust in challenges.

I've also found out that waiting is best when the CPU is attacking. Anticipation usually is not a good strategy.

Also, since i have higher Team Spirit, i haven't got a single goal against me at corners, before that i got loads of goals from corners...

Halfway through the season, Racing is top of the league with a 6 point gap...

Still like the game, but i agree that Team Spirit is overpowered.
I managed to have a winning streak with Racing de Avallanda and suddenly my Team Spirit is getting much higher (currently 63).
IMO with higher team spirit the players are a litle bit faster, less clumsy and more robust in challenges.

I've also found out that waiting is best when the CPU is attacking. Anticipation usually is not a good strategy.

Also, since i have higher Team Spirit, i haven't got a single goal against me at corners, before that i got loads of goals from corners...

Halfway through the season, Racing is top of the league with a 6 point gap...

What settings Gerd?

Top player and PA1.
I tried PA0 in PES2016 and it wasn't for me (although only in the fullgame, thoroughly liked in in the demo).

Maybe i will try PA0 later on.

220px-Real_Valladolid_Logo.svg_zpsvqngpw5y.png

Real Valladolid

Blanquivioletas / Albivioletas
(Master League :: Top Player :: 10 Minutes :: Full Manual :: Club Original Lineups)
August - Hope and Expectation!
After suffering relegation in 2013/14, Valladolid struggled in their return to the Segunda Division, coming in 16th place just 5pts clear of the drop zone. A change in fortunes was needed and to spark that, the club handed its managerial reigns over to former Youth team coach Albo Penitez.

Penitez would begin his work by acquiring 3 new players before the season began, 1 year loan deals for Jose Narango and Ryan Mendes (Celta Vigo and Lille OSC respectively). Whilst little known Dolly Menga would sign a 2 year deal after his deal with SC Braga had expired.

g1_zpsc0zduaaq.png

With the new faces settled in and the core of the squad retained for the upcoming season, hopes were high heading into the opening fixture at recently relegated Levante. Unfortunately they soon dissipated as the hosts experience shone through and a comfortable 3-0 win would put Valladolid firmly in their place.

With away games all month, Valladolid would travel to promotion favourites Real Zaragoza in week 2. Naranjo would score his first goal for the club as the visitors took the lead, however 2 quick goals before the break restored order for the home team. Then with Valladolid gambling forward, a late effort would seal the deal sending the Pucelanos to another defeat.

g2_zpsttuzliqz.png

Finally August would end on the pitch at Murcia with both teams having lost their opening fixtures. This would change in favor of UCAM Murcia as 2 first half goals would be all she wrote, as the huff and puff of Valladolid left them looking on. A miserable start to life for Penitez and a dramatic change in fortunes is needed.

To end August the drama of the deadline day window would envelop the club, alas only 1 deal would be concluded as Carlos Gurpegi (former Bilbao midfielder) was tempted out of retirement to sign a 1 year deal with the club. Other deals to try and sign Ricardo Costa and Wilfried Zahibo (Gimnastic) would prove fruitless.

Coming up in September, Valladolid open their Copa Del Rey campaign with a 2-legged encounter with CD Mirandes. This is followed by the opening home league fixture against Sevilla Atletico, another home game against Rayo Vallecano, before a trip to rivals Numancia to finish things off.

August Results Roundup:
(A) Levante 0-3
(A) Real Zaragoza 1-3 (Naranjo)
(A) UCAM Murcia 0-2

The Atalanta game proved to be tough.
I clearly feel that top player is sharper at times,more unpolished
Think they drew three yellow cards the first 20 minute.
My creative players were turned into shreds here.
Regrouped my team and tried to out pass them with speed,and Honda got a perfect pass just inside the box and shot it,GK got a foot on it,but Bonaventura picked up the garbage and scored 1-0 in the 30th.
Haven't seen a game this brutal in a long time,7 yellow card from Atalanta,one inj on one of my players.
Held on for a 1-0 win
Brutal shit.

Going into the transfer window now,and decided to keep my team as it is.
The players I got last window hasn't really made any impact,but I'll get them some games every now and then,try to ease them in.
Not bad players either
Sessgnon RMF
Bruma LMF
And old fart Abbiati,decided to pick him up from free agency,deserves to finish his career here in Milan

Are you using default players?. . . .I am . ..driven demented here.

Back in the days I used to... not now, I´m using the real players. TS is around 58/61. My team is playing quite nice, but I strugle to get good chances on goal. Tried a game on Pro but it feels a bit easy... not too much, but it´s like I don´t have to make tactic corrections throughout the match. I prefer TP, but CPU is so effective at tackles, positioning and reactions that it´s just unfair... I´ll keep fighting though.

Got a job offer from Ipswich, who is sitting just after me in league table. Of course I wouldn´t change team at this time, but it´s nice to see these things here and there.

Having found this thread recently and enjoying it greatly, I want to join the fun. This is the story of my

Olimpo dream

Club Olimpo, or Olimpo de Bahía Blanca, plays in the Primera División in Argentina. The home town of the team is Bahía Blanca, with a population of around 300,000, located on the coast of the Atlantic. The name of the town means "white bay," and it is obvious why Mr James wanted to start his managerial career here.

beach-photo-bahia-blanca-argentina-white-bay.jpg

Why Olimpo wanted to hire Mr James is more of a mystery. James is a former AMF from Aalborg BK in Denmark, where he retired from his active playing career in 2014 after winning the Danish double (league and cup). Before this Olimpo assignment he has no experience in top tier managing.

In season 2015 Club Olimpo finished 18th in the Primera División, which has a total of 30 teams. Team record was 8-12-10. The number of goals against was 26, which was an excellent defensive performance. The hope is that James' AMF background will boost the offensive performance of the team. (In PES 2017, playing full manual? Yeah, right.)

General settings

I play against superstar, full manual, with all visual aids off, 20 minute matches, speed 0. I also like to "defend manually": I don't press the x-button to pressure magnetically, but only use double-x to tackle. I also try to always control the front man in defense myself, and only use teammate pressure if I press with multiple players.

Before starting the ML I applied Matt's 5 second fix to all teams in the league:

My objectives for first season

1. To win one match. If that succeeds...
2. To not finish last in the league.

I see sweat, tears and some blood on the horizon. I have never played a full ML season before. (Fifa manager careers yes.) I have just finished the Brazilian league in PES, with one win and approximately equal numbers of draws and losses. Never had a better time playing. This game is amazing (not claiming perfect).

I will finish the first season of this ML on superstar no matter what. I am likely to be shredded into pieces with team spirit playing a role.

First transfer window and team

I was given around 6-7M€ for transfers, which I found a bit excessive. I sold some players and bought a few. I don't think I used any of those funds.

However, my team had some obvious defensive weaknesses when I took over. My scout found me a free agent CB S. Mattia with an OVR of 72, and I promptly added him to my squad. I also bought an RB, and raised a couple of youth academy players to first team. I honestly wanted to get to the first match quickly - so I didn't notice that my second goalie has an OVR of 58.

Olimpo has in past seasons played with 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. Mr James immediately caused a commotion by switching to a 4-2-3-1, especially since he was brought in to spice up the offense. But James reasoned that more coverage would be needed in midfield to build successful attacks. Furthermore, even though the team has a substantial reserve of CFs, the best talents are midfield players.

Here is my starting XI.

http://imgur.com/w9QdyjJ

Opening match

The first fixture was - at least on paper - kind to me by pairing my team against Arsenal de Sarandí, who finished well below us last season.

Olimpo went into the first match nervous. Their fast players felt sort of sticky (TS 50?), but their defending was just good enough. The new signing Mattia was in down arrow form, but was probably still their best player. Arsenal started on the defense, but amped up their game later. My goalie also made a critical save.

I saved a one-minute clip before the best chance of the match.

Here are the stats for the match. I was positively surprised since this was, after all, an away match.

http://imgur.com/BlFX6kZ

I really like this thread. More to follow from me later.

Last edited:
Ok played 3 matches on Professional .. .lost the first one 2-0 . .won the second one 2-0 and won the last one 1-4. . the gameplay was more relaxed than Top player and more enjoyable I'm just worried about the Ai defense . .they can be easy to rob when under pressure.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Btw nice freekick at the end.

I played a match on Pro today, and then a match on Top Player with PA1. PA1 doesn´t help at all in dificulty, it just changes the feel of controls. Pro level is indeed more relaxed even on PA0, but like Deco says, it might become unrealistic. I got back to Top player PA0 with a thought: the match flows accodring to momentum boost. I managed to score a goal and I did prove myself, my players run faster, win more tackles and use their body way better after a goal. Also played more based on passing than on runs. Avoided dribling at all costs, and when I had the ball, I almost always stoped and waited for the CPU to have a reaction. Then, instead of dribling, I passed to a unmarked teammate, building my game slowly and trying to disconnect CPU´s defence when I had the chance. I won the match 1-0 and created more chances. CPU couldn´t do much after my goal, like everything was going fine on my side, and everything wrong on theirs.

Will try to play more matches with this philosophy, always keeping in mind that "boost" theory.

I played a match on Pro today, and then a match on Top Player with PA1. PA1 doesn´t help at all in dificulty, it just changes the feel of controls. Pro level is indeed more relaxed even on PA0, but like Deco says, it might become unrealistic. I got back to Top player PA0 with a thought: the match flows accodring to momentum boost. I managed to score a goal and I did prove myself, my players run faster, win more tackles and use their body way better after a goal. Also played more based on passing than on runs. Avoided dribling at all costs, and when I had the ball, I almost always stoped and waited for the CPU to have a reaction. Then, instead of dribling, I passed to a unmarked teammate, building my game slowly and trying to disconnect CPU´s defence when I had the chance. I won the match 1-0 and created more chances. CPU couldn´t do much after my goal, like everything was going fine on my side, and everything wrong on theirs.

Will try to play more matches with this philosophy, always keeping in mind that "boost" theory.

I'm gonna give Pro a Shot for a while and see how it goes . .I just need a break from top player for a while . .the scripting was killing me. I only won 3 matches with the defaults and manual for the whole season . ..nonsense.

This is how you should play in possession, let the opposition come to you instead of running towards them into their defensive block. Iniesta is famous for this, often he would stand completely still in midfield and draw one or two players towards him and then pass/dribble to remove them from the game and find the free man. They began calling it "La Pausa".

Guardiola teams often do this, the centre-backs or goalkeeper won't advance with the ball and force the defenders to attack them and leave holes in their defensive shape. It's a very simple but effective tool!

52089.jpeg

Wigan's LaVolpe struggles to get the team understand his ideas.

It's almost halfway the Championship season and it's been a rollercoaster for all Wigan's fans, players and for LaVolpe himself.
Wigan is 4th (11-2-7, +6 GD) and has already advanced to the 3rd round of FA Cup after convincingly beating Sheffield Wednesday & Watford. They'll have to face Liverpool after christmas, a match where they are against all odds.

LaVolpe has been working with his players on and off the pitch, he wants to make sure they'll understand his football ideas and forget the hoofball tactic they have in their DNA. He encourages the defenders to pass the ball, and when in pressure, rotate the ball, even backwards. "Do not hoof the damn ba..FFS Greenville!" he is heard saying week in/out.
This tactics even if they're not suited for or are seemed as uncommon at the Championship have worked fine for the most of times, even if this tactic has caused errors which lead to opposition goals and losing games.

The coach has managed to increase the team spirit (60 to 72), by even having a 5-games winning streak and winning one of the 2 derbies (won against Preston North End and lost to Blackburn).
There are a couple of teams that are above the league at the moment: Derby County & Fulham, they gave 3/4-0 defeats to Wigan.​

more coming soon..​

Bologna at home
Went for the jugular straight away,gegenpress from the get go.
Don't think they were out of their half first 15-20 min.
Also feel that spending time on the training ground has improved my game massively
Long/short/through,little lay ups for oncoming players.
They were pinned down,Bacca got a foot on a pass from their defender,shielded it,and did a heel pass between two def,Niang came running on the outside of them and placed it in for 1-0

The nice thing was,when Bacca shielded it,Niang pointed to were he wanted it.
Brilliance
Got a bit careful and also a bit sloppy the rest of the half,and Bologna got a few chances,nothing really dangerous though.
Pretty much milked the clock the whole second half,sideway and back,and when they pressed,down the wings.
Bologna got a straight red card in the 85th,nasty tackle from behind.
Comfortable win and I'm in 3rd right now.

My TS is,when the team is at is best,84
Started the season on 88
So getting a strategy that gets a got TS from the get go is crucial.
One other thing,knowing your players.
When I'm under pressure,I know that I can hoof it long down the wings.
Cause I know that I have a fw on each side,I don't need to use the radar.
Remember my first attempts at ML this season,I was stressed out of my mind using the radar under pressure.
Now I know how my team operates,both in def and off.

Also,knowing your players,I know when Montolivo or Bertolacchi has the ball,I can cross, go long,because they are so good at it.
If any other MF has it,I play differently.
Same thing if I have a pacey winger,then I know that it's a 50/50 chance he can beat his man.
I try to use my strongest def in defence when it comes to tackling and heading.
That's knowing your team,its strengths,it's weaknesses and how they work as a team.
That's why I chosed Milan,I know that team.
So to me,struggling with TS,which is tough,been there,it's so important to get it right from the start.
And TS reflects real life football kinda well,not rubbing anything in here,but if you're on a losing streak,of course it's going to affect confidence and ability.
A few wins usually sorts that,if you've got it right from the start with tactics and the right players.
So hang in there guys,been there,and it's a bummer

And I'll be facing Bologna in the cup next,wonder how many times Konami has done that trick,playing an opponent three times in a row

Last edited:
Indeed, I was scratching my head trying to find what was wrong. Today I played posession based football, it worked. Then I remembered how stupid I am, because my intructions on attack are posession based, and I was constantly bombing long balls to my strikers... :TD:. Also, I had instructions for a counter target, wich makes one of my strikers stay far away, waiting for long balls... today I removed that instruction and my team played more compact, wich resulted in more options to pass on all directions.

That makes me thinking, is this really a game, or is it a deep tool to understand the basics of soccer?! Very important, we have to play according the instructions we give to our players. If we want to play long ball, then we have to use proper instructions and positions etc. Tactic seems good, now I just need a boost on my TS to make things better and more effective. It´s too late this season for anything worth mentioning, but it´s a building season. Next year my team must be playing better already, and I hope the results will come.

3 matches tonight unfortunately against the same team . ... ..Virtus Entella. . ..2 in the Tim cup and one in the League. First one in the cup at my ground. .sunny day football which I don't like. . . a boring 0-0 with very little chances....next up the second leg at their ground .. . . night game . . . .won easily 0-2 to go through to the next round and push my TS up to 74 .. a very good goal from a new signing .. .got a few of the new boys from the youth team. .. . hope they're not regens .. . though some of the names sound makey up. . have a decent squad now. .. . .and sold a few not so great players and bought in some defenders with potential . . .anyway league match against Virtus I won 1-0 in a canter. . controlled the match from start to finish.

My opinion so far on professional is that it can be too easy at times but it's open and enjoyable at the same time . .. I might stay on it for a while as I'm enjoying winning for a change .. .one thing I have noticed on Professional is that my shooting is way more accurate than on Top Player and the same for passing.

If they had a middle level between Professional and Top player it would be ideal.

Played another few games.

First up was Brighton 0 v Barnsley 0, 4th verses 13th. A really boring game. We're no good highlights to record.

Next was Burton (6th) 2 v Barnsley (11th) 1. I was so frustrated in this game. I had been having all the play but couldn't create much. Then they broke and scored, Hrazdil (17). We equalised through R. Williams (28).

Then something quite funny happened...this...

The funny thing is I was unaware what happen until Peter says "fires it in low" then I realised the ball was still in play.

Highlight of the match for especially as O'Grady won it for them in the 69th minute.

At this point I was getting a little fed up with my formation of 4-5-1. Not creating much at all. So for my next match I changed to a 4-4-2. With the additional attacking tactic of hug the touch line.

Ok so next it is Round 1 of the Emirates Cup v Brighton.

Played Winnall and Bradshaw up front. It was a difficult match again. Getting frustrated at not being able to play a good final ball. It's like I can pass well all over the pitch but in the final third I struggle. I thought 'let me play quick passing for a change'. Then this happened...

Fantastic one two between Winnall and Bradshaw. Probably for me the best goal I've scored so far. Really enjoyed it.

Then in the 2nd half they were closing me down all over but we were getting breaks on the wings. Then this happened...

Another assist from Bradshaw to Winnall and the finish was sublime. I actually thought it went wide so for me there was a delayed celebration. We finally had some breathing space.

Again they were coming at me but we were hitting them on the break constantly. Next goal would be important. This was it...

An own goal Bruno, fantastic!!! 3-0 and through to play Watford away in the next round.

I refuse to go up a level until we get, if we get, promotion.

Next up is a home game v Derby County (17th v 19th)

3 matches tonight unfortunately against the same team . ... ..Virtus Entella. . ..2 in the Tim cup and one in the League. First one in the cup at my ground. .sunny day football which I don't like. . . a boring 0-0 with very little chances....next up the second leg at their ground .. . . night game . . . .won easily 0-2 to go through to the next round and push my TS up to 74 .. a very good goal from a new signing .. .got a few of the new boys from the youth team. .. . hope they're not regens .. . though some of the names sound makey up. . have a decent squad now. .. . .and sold a few not so great players and bought in some defenders with potential . . .anyway league match against Virtus I won 1-0 in a canter. . controlled the match from start to finish.

My opinion so far on professional is that it can be too easy at times but it's open and enjoyable at the same time . .. I might stay on it for a while as I'm enjoying winning for a change .. .one thing I have noticed on Professional is that my shooting is way more accurate than on Top Player and the same for passing.

If they had a middle level between Professional and Top player it would be ideal.

You bet, that´s my thought too. They change a little of too many things in TP, and the result is a big gap in dificulty. Marking, tackling, catching up, passing, they all are better for the CPU and worse for us.

Back
Top Bottom