The Master League adventures thread

I decided to quit my Aston Villa career after about 4 games. I was enjoying it but just got an updated option file and I also decided that I want to go with the default ML team (following Deco).

So I have picked......Barnsley! :D

The reason being is that they got promoted into the Championship via the play-offs last season and I want to see how far I can take them.

One thing I noticed is that the default ML players have more realistic names. I did actually rename some ML European players before but only about 10 of them so I'm surprised that all of them have realistic names. In fact I'm not even sure if those that I renamed are in my squad. Maybe they will appear later.

Anyway I have started on Professional with all Manual controls. 20 minute games.

My first game was against Leeds at home. I thought I started ok but then they took a 1-0 lead C. Wood in the 4th minute. Hah I just realised what a contradiction that is..."I thought I started ok" 0-1 down after 4 minutes. :FAIL:

But then we got a good break (16) and it was 2 on 2. M. Pallister passed it out wide to T. Matthiessen who then knocked it across goal for Pallister to tap into an empty net. Then a few minutes later Pallister had the chance to pay Matthiessen back with a similar move but his pass was too close to the keeper.

S. Doukara then scored (22) after we failed to clear the ball.

It was quite an exciting game. We had enough chances. One which was good was when R. Green (Leeds keeper) came out and cleared the ball. It fell to one of our players and he shot it just wide with Green out of goal..

Half time 1-2 to Leeds.

Then bang! S. Dallas (47)
Bang! C. Wood (49)

Two quick goals put Leeds 1-4 up. I was thinking whether 20 mins game is a good idea because I was expecting a rout but thankfully it stayed the same. Yep we lost but we still played ok. I was quite impressed.

I have sold a GK and a WF. And have made an offer for a CB as we need one desperately. Details to come...

Next up will be Aston Villa away.

What do you guys think about 20mins games?

Also I finally got my brother into this but on the PS3. I'm trying to get him into manual everything. But he struggled when I played him the other day. Sometimes shooting backwards. I have suggested that when I play him, we play on assisted shooting for now. Is there too many shots on target on assisted shooting? I know on older versions there was.

LOL . . . shooting backwards. .. Come on ye Spurs. . . .well 20 min games can set you up for a worse thrashing sometimes Geee. I got rid of the option files which were the fancy ones and used that guy Ezro's ones I think from Pesgaming he does 1024 files and everything is hunky dory. . . I started my Ml on manual and am enjoying it. . even though I haven't won a single match. . .my team spirit is 33 but I spent wisely in the new exciting deadline transfer window . .(had me on the edge of my seat it did). . . I scoured the Leagues like a treasure hunter and picked up a few good players in the free agent section .. ... I'm actually playing well but my team isn't quick enough to take advantage of situations .. .every time I go one up I tell myself this is it I'm gonna win . .. but lo and behold I end up losing 3-1 even when I play ultra defensive. But it's still enjoyable, I can see moves that would have worked if my team spirit was decent. . . I love a challenge and I'm certainly getting one now . . I've faith in those new young lads . they'll come good soon. Btw I've only played about 5 League matches so far.

LOL . . . shooting backwards. .. Come on ye Spurs. . . .well 20 min games can set you up for a worse thrashing sometimes Geee. I got rid of the option files which were the fancy ones and used that guy Ezro's ones I think from Pesgaming he does 1024 files and everything is hunky dory. . . I started my Ml on manual and am enjoying it. . even though I haven't won a single match. . .my team spirit is 33 but I spent wisely in the new exciting deadline transfer window . .(had me on the edge of my seat it did). . . I scoured the Leagues like a treasure hunter and picked up a few good players in the free agent section .. ... I'm actually playing well but my team isn't quick enough to take advantage of situations .. .every time I go one up I tell myself this is it I'm gonna win . .. but lo and behold I end up losing 3-1 even when I play ultra defensive. But it's still enjoyable, I can see moves that would have worked if my team spirit was decent. . . I love a challenge and I'm certainly getting one now . . I've faith in those new young lads . they'll come good soon. Btw I've only played about 5 League matches so far.

Does the option file have enough teams to fill the Champions League and Europa League with real teams only? That's the only thing that I'm left waiting for in an option file. Still early doors though I guess.

This is what happened to me in 2016. Is just like 'wtf I'm playing with Kroos and I failed that pass...' The problem with 2016 is that it was too easy, so you could actually try to play manual at Top Player.

It does kill the immersion, really. I can see the merit in using manual though, there's a way better range of passing just a shame the consistency falls of a cliff for me.

Does the option file have enough teams to fill the Champions League and Europa League with real teams only? That's the only thing that I'm left waiting for in an option file. Still early doors though I guess.

He has done the Premiership.. .the Championship. . .La Liga ,La Liga 2. . . Serie B. . Liga Nos and the North American National teams with corrected players so far Kenpachi. . .I'm not sure what he has planned next. . .but he's the only one using 1024 and it's all fitting in.

He has done the Premiership.. .the Championship. . .La Liga ,La Liga 2. . . Serie B. . Liga Nos and the North American National teams with corrected players so far Kenpachi. . .I'm not sure what he has planned next. . .but he's the only one using 1024 and it's all fitting in.

I'll stick with mine, it's pretty similar to that. As soon as I get a complete European one that doesn't feature Blookrows in the group stages of the UCL then I can start my "official" ML.

It does kill the immersion, really. I can see the merit in using manual though, there's a way better range of passing just a shame the consistency falls of a cliff for me.

The good thing about using manual is that it's like a learning curve. . .it's either for you or go back to handholding.

master league is addiction <3 with derby country managed to hold the 3rd position and the playoffs for the promotion 1st two matches were pretty easy home away 3-0 both and managed to make it to the final playoff against aston villa.. 1st half 0-0 in 2nd half aston villa scored in 61st mins then again 64mins i was hopeless then this happened 78mins 2-1,84mins 2-2, 90+2 3-2 won the game and promoted to EPL best match till date lol heck of a match.. so much drama..

master league is addiction <3 with derby country managed to hold the 3rd position and the playoffs for the promotion 1st two matches were pretty easy home away 3-0 both and managed to make it to the final playoff against aston villa.. 1st half 0-0 in 2nd half aston villa scored in 61st mins then again 64mins i was hopeless then this happened 78mins 2-1,84mins 2-2, 90+2 3-2 won the game and promoted to EPL best match till date lol heck of a match.. so much drama..
Massive game mate.
Hyvvää

I'm trying out ML league as Manchester United and maybe I'll keep it going but we'll see.

I'm finding it hard to break down some of the lesser teams. While this is probably more realistic I'm getting 0-0 draws against the likes of Swansea, Hull and Watford.

I haven't really changed the setup, still 4-2-3-1. I've been mostly messing with the advanced instructions, mainly centring targets (mostly Zlatan), play wider, tight marking and either swarm the box or gegenpress depending on the opposition.

My defence is great and I've usually been good at defending on PES but I would love to score more!! I did manage a 3-0 win in Europa League against an unedited other European team. Most of my wins are 1-0 (Zlatan normally). I'm thinking of switching to 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 but accommodating the midfielder is tough. Also my wide players are not having the best of games. Man the defence give you no space and definitely not on the wing!

All advice appreciated guys!
Don't be United?
Kidding mate
Have you dug into different tactics,false nine etc,and always look how the opponents sets up,try to change you setup to find spaces.
Playing 4-3-3 myself,false nine,have a tall strong cf,just like you up front.
It's a rough game,but always be aware how the opposition plays,and set up accordingly
My best advice,and good luck

I decided to quit my Aston Villa career after about 4 games. I was enjoying it but just got an updated option file and I also decided that I want to go with the default ML team (following Deco).

So I have picked......Barnsley! :D

The reason being is that they got promoted into the Championship via the play-offs last season and I want to see how far I can take them.

One thing I noticed is that the default ML players have more realistic names. I did actually rename some ML European players before but only about 10 of them so I'm surprised that all of them have realistic names. In fact I'm not even sure if those that I renamed are in my squad. Maybe they will appear later.

Anyway I have started on Professional with all Manual controls. 20 minute games.

My first game was against Leeds at home. I thought I started ok but then they took a 1-0 lead C. Wood in the 4th minute. Hah I just realised what a contradiction that is..."I thought I started ok" 0-1 down after 4 minutes. :FAIL:

But then we got a good break (16) and it was 2 on 2. M. Pallister passed it out wide to T. Matthiessen who then knocked it across goal for Pallister to tap into an empty net. Then a few minutes later Pallister had the chance to pay Matthiessen back with a similar move but his pass was too close to the keeper.

S. Doukara then scored (22) after we failed to clear the ball.

It was quite an exciting game. We had enough chances. One which was good was when R. Green (Leeds keeper) came out and cleared the ball. It fell to one of our players and he shot it just wide with Green out of goal..

Half time 1-2 to Leeds.

Then bang! S. Dallas (47)
Bang! C. Wood (49)

Two quick goals put Leeds 1-4 up. I was thinking whether 20 mins game is a good idea because I was expecting a rout but thankfully it stayed the same. Yep we lost but we still played ok. I was quite impressed.

I have sold a GK and a WF. And have made an offer for a CB as we need one desperately. Details to come...

Next up will be Aston Villa away.

What do you guys think about 20mins games?

Also I finally got my brother into this but on the PS3. I'm trying to get him into manual everything. But he struggled when I played him the other day. Sometimes shooting backwards. I have suggested that when I play him, we play on assisted shooting for now. Is there too many shots on target on assisted shooting? I know on older versions there was.
I'm playing 20 min games off and on,and as soon as I feel comfy with my difficulty level,I'll go all in on it.
Played a few games on it,but one was just after I shifted from TP to SS and needless to say,got killed.
But it's doable,and enjoyable

Isn't that the whole beauty of the ML?

Nice one buddy.
Yeah,got into the vinyl thing again,loads of cool stuff bought.
Still alright on your ML?
No fits? No cursing the controller.
I have Liverpool/Lazio/Liverpool/Napoli coming up.
Probably end up in a white padded room after that stretch

Yeah,got into the vinyl thing again,loads of cool stuff bought.
Still alright on your ML?
No fits? No cursing the controller.
I have Liverpool/Lazio/Liverpool/Napoli coming up.
Probably end up in a white padded room after that stretch

I'm drunk as we speak. . .. only did 5 matches Rock . .it's hard work I don't mind losing once I'm creating openings which a better team spirit or better players can take advantage of. I'm fucking the controller across the room and shouting at the telly a lot but it will come good eventually.

I'm drunk as we speak. . .. only did 5 matches Rock . .it's hard work I don't mind losing once I'm creating openings which a better team spirit or better players can take advantage of. I'm fucking the controller across the room and shouting at the telly a lot but it will come good eventually.
Course it will,kinda enjoy having a dysfunctional relationship with my telly.
See it like Sybil,and I'm Basil.
Got a through ball perfectly just,saw my striker signalling and just played it between the highly positioned back four.
Man what a feeling.

Just played Liverpool in the EL last 32.
Man they're good,their gegenpressing is horrible to play against,especially on manual passing,one wrong pass,or not hard enough,and you have 1/100 of a second to play it to the next guy,and trying to keep track of players,both yours and them,plus radar...kinda tough

Lost the ball mid pitch and they struck like a cobra,just played their way through my not so collected defence to origi who scored from 6 m.
And in the 15th they got a pen,Coutinho for 2-0.
By then I suspected it's going to be a long long night.
But worked my way back in,and my passing has improved a lot,so kinda took over the game when they backed off a bit.

Scored in the 44th,a ball into the box,played out to my winger who crossed it,header,post and out,Jesé threw himself and tackled in the ball.
I really played well in the second half,created a few good chances,but couldn't score.
Subbed three of my more important players kinda early to have them rested for next game.
So good game,bad result

Just played Liverpool in the EL last 32.
Man they're good,their gegenpressing is horrible to play against,especially on manual passing,one wrong pass,or not hard enough,and you have 1/100 of a second to play it to the next guy,and trying to keep track of players,both yours and them,plus radar...kinda tough

Lost the ball mid pitch and they struck like a cobra,just played their way through my not so collected defence to origi who scored from 6 m.
And in the 15th they got a pen,Coutinho for 2-0.
By then I suspected it's going to be a long long night.
But worked my way back in,and my passing has improved a lot,so kinda took over the game when they backed off a bit.

Scored in the 44th,a ball into the box,played out to my winger who crossed it,header,post and out,Jesé threw himself and tackled in the ball.
I really played well in the second half,created a few good chances,but couldn't score.
Subbed three of my more important players kinda early to have them rested for next game.
So good game,bad result

Stop telling me these success stories.

Agree.
Loved it at first,started losing and not creating anything,hated it,practised and now I absolutely love it again

This is me at the moment. Went down to 15min games so that I can get through more. Played Aston Villa away, lost 5-0. Then played Blackburn at home, lost 1-9. Probably that game was my worst game on any PES ever. First of all just after kickoff I was trying to take off my 'Advance Tactics' (I think that's what they are called). I don't know why they activate at kick off. As I did that they nicked the ball off of me, ran through shot against the post, my defender went to clear it but he stumbled, the striker got it, shot it at the keeper, and then he knocked to it D. Graham and he tapped it in. For the first time I felt a little script going on then. So straight away I'm up against it.

In this match its like there was no midfield play. So many shots, Blackburn had 27!!!! Most I have faced. But it was long ball...shoot...long ball... Shoot. Then my keeper does one of those frisbee throws straight to their midfielder and then he plays it in then goal. It was about 0-5 already by that time. When it got to 0-7 then I started playing like Tottenham v Chelsea at the Bridge. So had a player sent off, conceded a penalty. Worse match ever.

I know it will get better but at the moment we are bottom and have conceded 18 goals and scored 2 in three games. Thankfully we cannot get relegated from the Championship.

Wish I had an early night tonight

This is me at the moment. Went down to 15min games so that I can get through more. Played Aston Villa away, lost 5-0. Then played Blackburn at home, lost 1-9. Probably that game was my worst game on any PES ever. First of all just after kickoff I was trying to take off my 'Advance Tactics' (I think that's what they are called). I don't know why they activate at kick off. As I did that they nicked the ball off of me, ran through shot against the post, my defender went to clear it but he stumbled, the striker got it, shot it at the keeper, and then he knocked to it D. Graham and he tapped it in. For the first time I felt a little script going on then. So straight away I'm up against it.

In this match its like there was no midfield play. So many shots, Blackburn had 27!!!! Most I have faced. But it was long ball...shoot...long ball... Shoot. Then my keeper does one of those frisbee throws straight to their midfielder and then he plays it in then goal. It was about 0-5 already by that time. When it got to 0-7 then I started playing like Tottenham v Chelsea at the Bridge. So had a player sent off, conceded a penalty. Worse match ever.

I know it will get better but at the moment we are bottom and have conceded 18 goals and scored 2 in three games. Thankfully we cannot get relegated from the Championship.

Shit brother,I really feel for you,haven't been thrashed that badly,but been there with 5-0 spankings
And yes my GK has fucked up plenty on those throws,I use the button a bit more mustard on the throws.
What difficulty are you on?
If you just wanna take away the advanced tactics,just set fluid formations to off.
Know it's tough man,but,even if you don't believe it,it will get so much better.
Once you find your tactic,and most importantly your passing.
I've gone from the start of the season,from 55% passing to around 70-72%, and that gives you a lot of possession and controll over the game.
You'll get there mate,promise,and you'll fuckiinfuckng love it,just keep practicing and play.
One tip mate,go with a alternate career,a really good team,to get your passing and wins in,then you'll feel comfy with Barnsley in the end.
I've gone through 4-5 ML,with different teams,rage quit,and started over again.
Hang in there Geeeeee

Played a few games on manual, man you guys are all masochists. Couldn't really get anything going and it kind of detracted from my enjoyment of the game really. Think I'll be sticking with my previous settings for a while and if I get to a point where I need a lot more challenge in my gameplay I'll move over to manual. Kind of breaks immersion when Busquets is failing to make a 10 yard pass into feet :LOL:

I'd say either bump the difficulty down two notches or stick to assisted and try to use L2 more and more, get used to the idea of manual passing - especially around the back with no pressure. I know I've said it a few times but, long term, it's well worth the switch, especially if you're into your tactics. You appreciate the space that tactics buy you a lot more, and you can play specific types of passes to get the recipient moving in the right direction (e.g. a shorter pass to a striker who you want to drop deep, a pass ahead of the fullback to make them attack the space, a ball that tempts the defender out of position, or a ball infield to bring your winger into the half space and create room for the full back's overlap).

It will naturally take a number of games to get up to speed, and I know I benefitted putting the hours in with FIFA manual passing in the past. But once I got up to speed (about a day with the demo), I got my pass completion back into the 70s and then 80s without my play going sterile, and it felt like I'd unlocked a much deeper game. And that's as someone who was dead against the concept of unassisted/manual passing when he switched it on that fateful, PES-changing evening.

Last edited:
I'd say either bump the difficulty down two notches or stick to assisted and try to use L2 more and more, get used to the idea of manual passing - especially around the back with no pressure. I know I've said it a few times but, long term, it's well worth the switch, especially if you're into your tactics. You appreciate the space that tactics buy you a lot more, and you can play specific types of passes to get the recipient moving in the right direction (e.g. a shorter pass to a striker who you want to drop deep, a pass ahead of the fullback to make them attack the space, a ball that tempts the defender out of position, or a ball infield to bring your winger into the half space and create room for the full back's overlap).

It will naturally take a number of games to get up to speed, and I know I benefitted putting the hours in with FIFA manual passing in the past. But once I got up to speed (about a day with the demo), I got my pass completion back into the 70s and then 80s without my play going sterile, and it felt like I'd unlocked a much deeper game. And that's as someone who was dead against the concept of unassisted/manual passing when he switched it on that fateful, PES-changing evening.

Bloody hell, why do you manual guys keep making it sound so appealing! I'll just have to try and commit to it regardless of frustration. My pass percentages were decent for the most part, just find it really hard to create and be incisive when it comes to moving through midfield and into the final third.

Ffs Geeee were you drunk? I haven't came across a heavy defeat like that yet .. . had a couple of 5-1's and 4-1's .. just sort out better tactics and you'll be better.

Back
Top Bottom