The Master League adventures thread

Started my Pisa ML last night, on superstar. First thing I did was release all the default players I've used in past PES games, leaving me with a truly awful team of defaults.

Seigenkude (AMF-64), Filtaozinho (LB-65) and Kurzenach (CM-64) are my best players. Pretty much everyone else is rated below 60!

First game was Avellino away. Went 1-0 up in the first half and pretty much controlled the game without creating too much. Decided to throw it on manual at half time and, to my surprise, scored two absolute belters (my first ever full manual goals on any PES). Eventually won 3-1. Lost my "star" strike Tellegard to an 8 week injury though.

Decided to stick with manual for a couple of games. Played out a dour 0-0 with Bari (1 attempt at goal for each team), then an equally poor game against Carpi where we nicked a 93rd minute winner with our only shot of the game.

With manual, I found that I still dominate possession (65-70%), it's just tougher to create chances. It makes me take less risks in the final third, because you don't want to lose the ball as you never know when you will get back in a decent position again. While this is great from a realism perspective, I don't find it quite as enjoyable for some reason. Plus, I play online now and then and also locally with my brother in law, and there's no way I'm playing manual on either of those. Still, the goals I did score really felt great, and it's good to know I'm capable of playing on manual.

Anyway, went back to PA1 for my cup tie with Spezia. First leg at home; went 1-0 up inside 8 minutes, then hit the post, the bar and forced their keeper into a couple of wonder saves. We somehow managed not to extend our lead and paid for it in the second half when they not only equalised, but went on to snatch a last minute winner! Second leg at their place; again took an early lead but couldn't find a second. They broke late on when I was pushing forward, and scored to make it 1-1 on the night and knock us out 3-2 on aggregate. Probably the two most enjoyable games I've had so far.

In another fun game, I finished my session with a 2-2 draw at Cittadella, coming from 2 down in the first 10 minutes to equalise late on.

Great stuff so far. Apologies for the wall of text, but I'm now sat at work bored and waiting to go home and continue! Figured I could at least talk about the game haha.

I might also upload those manual goals later. They really were very satisfying.

For those who want to start playing on manual, it's better to practice on exhibition matches first. Just use the lowest difficulty level. You might also want to change your approach because you obviously can't aim your left analog stick like how you do it with PA1. You need to be patient and really think before making a pass. Also, this might be a personal preference, but for me manual passing is easier to play with camera angle 10. With a wider camera angle you can see the open spaces and it's easier to place the ball to where you want your pass to be. Another tip from me is to use the sprint button wisely, you don't need to sprint that much when building an attack with manual passing, just take your time. After you're used to playing on manual, I guarantee you won't want to go back to PA1, because the game will then feel too assisted and arcade.

PS: Just look at me giving advise like I'm some kind of expert, yet I'm getting battered on professional.

For those who want to start playing on manual, it's better to practice on exhibition matches first. Just use the lowest difficulty level. You might also want to change your approach because you obviously can't aim your left analog stick like how you do it with PA1. You need to be patient and really think before making a pass. Also, this might be a personal preference, but for me manual passing is easier to play with camera angle 10. With a wider camera angle you can see the open spaces and it's easier to place the ball to where you want your pass to be. Another tip from me is to use the sprint button wisely, you don't need to sprint that much when building an attack with manual passing, just take your time. After you're used to playing on manual, I guarantee you won't want to go back to PA1, because the game will then feel too assisted and arcade.

PS: Just look at me giving advise like I'm some kind of expert, yet I'm getting battered on professional.

Yes professor Elja.

Speaking of camera angles, I've been trying to find one that replicates the real life camera angle used at the Nou Camp. It's one of the main reasons I love watching Barça play - there's so much of the pitch you can see whilst not being too far from the action.

I've been using Fan View / Blimp whilst I play, but I think they're a bit too far away from the pitch for me to be satisfied yet the others all feel too close. Any camera setting wizard know of a decent solution?

EDIT: A google search suggests that player attributes still have an affect on passing and shooting even when playing without assists. In terms of passing it relates to the trajectory and how easy the receiving player receiving the pass can trap the ball. In terms of shooting it again relates to trajectory and the amount of spin/swerve applied to the shot.

Subtle differences, but then again this exactly the kind of thing that makes a good game great.

Last edited:
So even on manual stats matters? That would be great to hear.

I started a ML with Real Betis, real players, Top Player, 15 mins, -1 speed. Not thinking right now to pass on to Manual... Even tho after losing against Barcelona 4-0, I won the next two matches 1-4 and 4-0, last one against Deportivo La Coruña. I'm trying to improve some positions: I signed Rafinha, Sergi Roberto on loan, sold Adán and signed Leicester's GK; sold Mandi and Bruno and I'm trying to sign Rugani, Rudiger, Bernat and maybe Bailly. I love Sané so I hope I can bring him to the team.

I'll think about manual passing + shooting.

So even on manual stats matters? That would be great to hear.

I started a ML with Real Betis, real players, Top Player, 15 mins, -1 speed. Not thinking right now to pass on to Manual... Even tho after losing against Barcelona 4-0, I won the next two matches 1-4 and 4-0, last one against Deportivo La Coruña. I'm trying to improve some positions: I signed Rafinha, Sergi Roberto on loan, sold Adán and signed Leicester's GK; sold Mandi and Bruno and I'm trying to sign Rugani, Rudiger, Bernat and maybe Bailly. I love Sané so I hope I can bring him to the team.

I'll think about manual passing + shooting.

That's what I gathered from a quick google search. It sounds promising and I presume the guys who play manual will be able to confirm or disprove this.

Sergio Roberto is a fantastic loan signing! Honestly one of my favourite young players at Barça right now. Very versatile, and would make a great pivot or central midfielder.

I'll be playing with manual passing and shooting whilst I play around with Sacchi tactics before I get back into my ML.

@Deco
@rockstrongo

What are the manual settings that you guys are using? Definitely want to try them after what I've read about how they and player stats are linked. T

That's what I gathered from a quick google search. It sounds promising and I presume the guys who play manual will be able to confirm or disprove this.

Sergio Roberto is a fantastic loan signing! Honestly one of my favourite young players at Barça right now. Very versatile, and would make a great pivot or central midfielder.

I'll be playing with manual passing and shooting whilst I play around with Sacchi tactics before I get back into my ML.

@Deco
@rockstrongo

What are the manual settings that you guys are using? Definitely want to try them after what I've read about how they and player stats are linked. T

Yeah I even got to add a buy option on Sergi Roberto and for a 81 LFW (I don't remember the name right now...), both 15 millions each one. Of course, I won't have money enough if I don't sell someone, so let's see how ML goes...

I'm afraid of trying manual on this game. I remember playing manual in 16 some matches and it went fine, at least passing. I've read you lose some animations when playing manual :/. That's why I'm not sure, too.

Yeah I even got to add a buy option on Sergi Roberto and for a 81 LFW (I don't remember the name right now...), both 15 millions each one. Of course, I won't have money enough if I don't sell someone, so let's see how ML goes...

I'm afraid of trying manual on this game. I remember playing manual in 16 some matches and it went fine, at least passing. I've read you lose some animations when playing manual :/. That's why I'm not sure, too.

Awesome! I'm insanely jealous, reckon I could get him loaned to Serie B? :CRY:

I'll let you know how my experience with it is and if I notice a lack of animations etc.

Oh, and I'm playing a positional 4-3-3 with most of the time using Attacking Fullbacks (I don't know the exact name of these tactics in english, so I'm sorry xD) + Hugh the Touchline / None. Deffensive, High pressure and Tight Marking every now and then. I'd like to apply the Guardiola tactics but I think I'd get pwned with so much space behind.

I need Sane, Draxler and Ousmane Dembele :(

And Gabriel Jesús...

So many good players. At least I have Ceballos, hope he gets to 80 fast.

Oh, and I'm playing a positional 4-3-3 with most of the time using Attacking Fullbacks (I don't know the exact name of these tactics in english, so I'm sorry xD) + Hugh the Touchline / None. Deffensive, High pressure and Tight Marking every now and then. I'd like to apply the Guardiola tactics but I think I'd get pwned with so much space behind.

I need Sane, Draxler and Ousmane Dembele :(

You got the names right :) your english is very good! I've managed fine in my ML thus far playing with the highest possible defensive line, my biggest issue is conceding the ball during my build up. You'll probably be fine applying the Guardiola tactics against most teams in the league. Although, depending on how brave you are you could play that way against everyone.

You got the names right :) your english is very good! I've managed fine in my ML thus far playing with the highest possible defensive line, my biggest issue is conceding the ball during my build up. You'll probably be fine applying the Guardiola tactics against most teams in the league. Although, depending on how brave you are you could play that way against everyone.

I like to play a very offensive football because I really enjoy dominating the ball even tho counter attacks can be dangerous with this defensive line-up: Durmisi, Pezella, Donk, Piccini. Full backs are fast enough but central backs... Well. I hope I can sign Rugani and Bernat at least (Bernat can play as central back as well).

Maybe tonight I'll try to survive with the Guardiola tactics. My problem is the RFW being right full back when out of possession and the low overall, because I think Piccini can't play as RFW. So I'll use a natural RFW and try not to lose the ball. Thank Konami gave us again the attack / defense 'level'.

Thanks again for the tactics, looking forward to more of them. It's a shame that we can only save 3 tactics at the same time.

I like to play a very offensive football because I really enjoy dominating the ball even tho counter attacks can be dangerous with this defensive line-up: Durmisi, Pezella, Donk, Piccini. Full backs are fast enough but central backs... Well. I hope I can sign Rugani and Bernat at least (Bernat can play as central back as well).

Maybe tonight I'll try to survive with the Guardiola tactics. My problem is the RFW being right full back when out of possession and the low overall, because I think Piccini can't play as RFW. So I'll use a natural RFW and try not to lose the ball. Thank Konami gave us again the attack / defense 'level'.

Thanks again for the tactics, looking forward to more of them. It's a shame that we can only save 3 tactics at the same time.

I'm exactly the same, Guardiola's juego de posicion style of play is the holy grail for me. The only way to play, I only like defending so that I can get the ball back quicker. Bernat would be an amazing signing, very good player.

It's entirely up to you, I think so long as you keep the gegenpressing advanced instruction in use you'll be able to stop most counter attacks from teams you face. I wouldn't worry too much about whether the players can play in the position, I used Kolarov and Zabaleta as DMFs in a Man City replication I was attempting and they both played very well. I take more care about the positions a player is suitable for in terms of the defensive formation. For example a striker won't make a very good full back. This is just my assumptions though, so perhaps someone else may be able to offer more solid evidence for this.

You're very welcome, the Sacchi system should be complete either tonight or tomorrow morning depending on whether I can resist my ML save. I agree, more tactic slots would be fantastic it's a shame we can only have 3 ready and waiting at a time.

@Deco
@rockstrongo

Its just manual shooting. .manual passing or o . .. . .basic through ball. .although they say to be fully manual you should use advanced through ball.

For me, manual passing with some form of semi assisted crossing would feel perfect.

Manual crossing is horribly counter intuitive when trying to cross on the run, since you're having to use the same stick for player movement and cross direction. It's possible but it's far harder than it needs to be.

For me, manual passing with some form of semi assisted crossing would feel perfect.

Manual crossing is horribly counter intuitive when trying to cross on the run, since you're having to use the same stick for player movement and cross direction. It's possible but it's far harder than it needs to be.

It's very difficult to cross manually 9 times out of 10 I get it wrong.

Okay cheers guys, I'll apply those settings once I get on and see how I go. I'll stick with basic through ball as I find that the advanced through ball is a bit finicky really.

Fortunately I rarely cross and instead look to cut the ball back to the edge of the box with a pass instead. So at least I'll avoid the horrible crossing mechanic for the most part.

Solid advices

Played a few games on manual, man you guys are all masochists. Couldn't really get anything going and it kind of detracted from my enjoyment of the game really. Think I'll be sticking with my previous settings for a while and if I get to a point where I need a lot more challenge in my gameplay I'll move over to manual. Kind of breaks immersion when Busquets is failing to make a 10 yard pass into feet :LOL:

Played a few games on manual, man you guys are all masochists. Couldn't really get anything going and it kind of detracted from my enjoyment of the game really. Think I'll be sticking with my previous settings for a while and if I get to a point where I need a lot more challenge in my gameplay I'll move over to manual. Kind of breaks immersion when Busquets is failing to make a 10 yard pass into feet :LOL:

Yeah that's basically where I am with it. I could play on manual but probably wouldn't enjoy it as much. If the game becomes PES2016 levels of easy, then I'll switch but as I'm three without a win on PA1 I'm not too worried about that just now!

Just got my first end of month report, there's so much detail to comb through. This is such an amazing feature, showing how many forward passes are made and the types of goals you concede. Can really use this to confirm some of my own assumptions as to what would help my possession game. Fantastic tool, this mode just keeps getting better.

Got some time for ML tonight,funny thing that you go all day longing to play.
Been editing like a m...f... The past days,still have PL,EFL,La liga and serie B to go
I've edited all the teams that are in EL and CL and the rest of Europe

Had a thoroughly enjoyable ML spell on my Spezia save. It was a story of consistently dominating the first half and then completely losing the ability to prevent counter attacks in the second halves.

First game I drew 2-2 with US Latina Calcio. I went in 1-0 up after dismantling them in the first half and then conceded 2 goals immediately after the restart and had to rescue a point in the dying minutes.

After that came a two legged TIM Cup tie with Benevento Calcio which I won 4-3. The first game was a similar story to the US Latina game (it ended 1-1) but the second leg was much more interesting. I was 3-0 up at half time thanks to two goals from my CF Piu. Again counter attacks proved my downfall as they brought it back to 3-2 causing me to have a very panicky last 5 minutes, but I managed to see out the game. I've been drawn against Inter in the next round... I predict a cricket score!

My final game was a rival/derby game against Virtus Entella. Everything was rosey in the first 30 mins as I was pulling them apart and went 1-0 up with Piu scoring his 3rd goal in 2 games. Another counter attack lead to an equaliser a few minutes later. I was content with 1-1 at the half and felt I could win the game. Well, I got blitzed twice and lost 1-3! Very disappointed to lose the rival/derby game so hopefully it doesn't get me the sack. (Can you be sacked in ML?)

Serie B standings: 12th, 1W/2D/1L, 8GF 9GA

Despite a relatively poor sequence of results the game is just great fun to play. It's a challenge and it's not afraid to punish you. Or punish you a lot in my case.

Last edited:
I'm trying out ML league as Manchester United and maybe I'll keep it going but we'll see.

I'm finding it hard to break down some of the lesser teams. While this is probably more realistic I'm getting 0-0 draws against the likes of Swansea, Hull and Watford.

I haven't really changed the setup, still 4-2-3-1. I've been mostly messing with the advanced instructions, mainly centring targets (mostly Zlatan), play wider, tight marking and either swarm the box or gegenpress depending on the opposition.

My defence is great and I've usually been good at defending on PES but I would love to score more!! I did manage a 3-0 win in Europa League against an unedited other European team. Most of my wins are 1-0 (Zlatan normally). I'm thinking of switching to 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 but accommodating the midfielder is tough. Also my wide players are not having the best of games. Man the defence give you no space and definitely not on the wing!

All advice appreciated guys!

I'm trying out ML league as Manchester United and maybe I'll keep it going but we'll see.

I'm finding it hard to break down some of the lesser teams. While this is probably more realistic I'm getting 0-0 draws against the likes of Swansea, Hull and Watford.

I haven't really changed the setup, still 4-2-3-1. I've been mostly messing with the advanced instructions, mainly centring targets (mostly Zlatan), play wider, tight marking and either swarm the box or gegenpress depending on the opposition.

My defence is great and I've usually been good at defending on PES but I would love to score more!! I did manage a 3-0 win in Europa League against an unedited other European team. Most of my wins are 1-0 (Zlatan normally). I'm thinking of switching to 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 but accommodating the midfielder is tough. Also my wide players are not having the best of games. Man the defence give you no space and definitely not on the wing!

All advice appreciated guys!

I'd say remove 'Hug The Touchline', considering the 4-2-3-1 formation you are using. That means you have 4 players sitting right against the touchline at all times. Thus, you're going to find it a lot harder to break teams down if all you can do is go wide, right? Consider moving your RMF/LMF inside to become AMF. You'll have much better connectivity in central areas and that is where you will do the most damage. If you don't want them to play that narrow, simply move them as narrow as the RMF/LMF position allows and they will tend to stay in the half spaces but also move wider to receive the ball if there is space or your full back needs a passing option. You could then add the 'Attacking Full Backs' option to still have options wide, although I've found this to be redundant if you have RB/LB with the 'Offensive Full Back' playing style.

That's about all I can offer without watching a game or knowing your exact settings but it should help you to be able to be more creative around the edge of the box and in the middle of the pitch.

I decided to quit my Aston Villa career after about 4 games. I was enjoying it but just got an updated option file and I also decided that I want to go with the default ML team (following Deco).

So I have picked......Barnsley! :D

The reason being is that they got promoted into the Championship via the play-offs last season and I want to see how far I can take them.

One thing I noticed is that the default ML players have more realistic names. I did actually rename some ML European players before but only about 10 of them so I'm surprised that all of them have realistic names. In fact I'm not even sure if those that I renamed are in my squad. Maybe they will appear later.

Anyway I have started on Professional with all Manual controls. 20 minute games.

My first game was against Leeds at home. I thought I started ok but then they took a 1-0 lead C. Wood in the 4th minute. Hah I just realised what a contradiction that is..."I thought I started ok" 0-1 down after 4 minutes. :FAIL:

But then we got a good break (16) and it was 2 on 2. M. Pallister passed it out wide to T. Matthiessen who then knocked it across goal for Pallister to tap into an empty net. Then a few minutes later Pallister had the chance to pay Matthiessen back with a similar move but his pass was too close to the keeper.

S. Doukara then scored (22) after we failed to clear the ball.

It was quite an exciting game. We had enough chances. One which was good was when R. Green (Leeds keeper) came out and cleared the ball. It fell to one of our players and he shot it just wide with Green out of goal..

Half time 1-2 to Leeds.

Then bang! S. Dallas (47)
Bang! C. Wood (49)

Two quick goals put Leeds 1-4 up. I was thinking whether 20 mins game is a good idea because I was expecting a rout but thankfully it stayed the same. Yep we lost but we still played ok. I was quite impressed.

I have sold a GK and a WF. And have made an offer for a CB as we need one desperately. Details to come...

Next up will be Aston Villa away.

What do you guys think about 20mins games?

Also I finally got my brother into this but on the PS3. I'm trying to get him into manual everything. But he struggled when I played him the other day. Sometimes shooting backwards. I have suggested that when I play him, we play on assisted shooting for now. Is there too many shots on target on assisted shooting? I know on older versions there was.

This is what happened to me in 2016. Is just like 'wtf I'm playing with Kroos and I failed that pass...' The problem with 2016 is that it was too easy, so you could actually try to play manual at Top Player.

Back
Top Bottom