The Euro 2020 Thread

Well dear English eating words yet again....
Congrats.
On the other hand I really enjoyd watching the Danes.
Would have liked a bit more time for Dolberg this match.
But the way that coach has put trust in this team was very nice.

And that was Sterling .. cheating
Fixed that!

Would have liked a bit more time for Dolberg this match.

Surprised he took him off so early, got in a couple of shots, one really good one that Pickford saved well and he looked a threat.

On the match. Really enjoyed the game, not something I get to say usually when watching England, for most of the game it was on a knife edge and could have gone either way. The fatigue played a part after that without doubt.

Bit of a sour taste to finally reach a final for the first time in my lifetime and have it via a really dodgy penalty. I think I did mention the other day about Sterling always looking for penalties, he does it all the time for Man City. He never releases the ball early because he's always looking to go down.

And in order to not be a hypocrite after our Italian timewasting/playacting comments I admit that I hate that it feels like we've not won it fairly. I was really hoping we'd get a third goal so it didn't all come down to that

Awful penalty from Kane too! Ironically it was the fact it was so close to Schmeichel that meant he could only knock it straight out, had it been a bit better penalty he'd probably have pushed it sideways away from the goal

Should be a good final hopefully and let's hope there's nothing iffy to decide it.

Boys - that was some game. If I was playing it - id have to go with -2 speed, coz the fuckers were like road runner..

Feel a bit sorry for Danes the way they went out - penalty was dodgy enough and if it wasnt enough - he saved it, but you cant take away how england was squeezing the shit out of them throughout the game. Danes were not afraid - they went all out. But so did England.

Congrats on the final, lads. Overall - you deserved it.

We got out of jail tonight, on the whole we didn't play too bad but we relied on lady luck. Lucky to have got the own goal, and lucky that Kane's bad penalty kick rebounded back to him. I did expect VAR to overrule the penalty decision TBH.
Of course i will take it, but like Matt said, it leaves a bitter taste, but it beats all those years of bad luck, we've endured.
I just hope we are that bit more convincing in the final third, on Sunday.
Great free kick though by Denmark, what a cracker! :TU:

We got out of jail tonight, on the whole we didn't play too bad but we relied on lady luck. Lucky to have got the own goal, and lucky that Kane's bad penalty kick rebounded back to him. I did expect VAR to overrule the penalty decision TBH.
Of course i will take it, but like Matt said, it leaves a bitter taste, but it beats all those years of bad luck, we've endured.
I just hope we are that bit more convincing in the final third, on Sunday.
Great free kick though by Denmark, what a cracker! :TU:

There's a certain sense of irony with penalty shoot outs so often being our demise that we should win it with a dodgy one!

I can't believe that, in my lifetime, we have got to a final. I also can't believe that it feels tainted - we may have been playing well but I think it was SO evenly-matched up to that point. A really good, really tense match-up - the game-plans were almost mirror-images of each other. The execution was so good from both sides.

For it not to be a moment of brilliance, but a penalty, and a PENALTY THAT WAS INITIALLY SAVED at that... Doesn't feel great.

Oh, and, there were two balls on the pitch when the foul was given! For a fairly long time! 9/10 times a referee will immediately halt the game in that situation!

...and yet we made it. Thank God we made it.

@mattmid could you imagine though Matt, if Kane's miss hadn't rebounded back to him. I would say we most probably would have finished on penalties. With Kane missing his in ET i would have been hiding behind the sofa. :YES: but thankfully we was speared that ordeal.

Tell you what though, when the Danes got that free kick, i sensed danger and bingo! There was that familiar sinking feeling again. I thought of you guys and knew you too were gutted. But alas, onward's we go!! :D

Whatever the final brings I've really enjoyed this tournament and bar perhaps 3 or 4 boring games they've ranged from pretty good to absolutely excellent games.

I thought in that first part of the second half of extra time that Southgate had messed up changing formation as we began to sit so deep. Fortunately I don't think the Danes physically had anything left (plus a man short) to give in the last five minutes and we saw it out fairly comfortably although I'm sure I wasn't the only one expecting a final twist!

@Buzzy Pickford had a bit of an 'Everton' night didn't he! Really should have done better with the free kick (good as it was) and twice got away with giving the ball straight to the Danes just outside the penalty area. Did make a great save from Dolberg but hopefully that's the end of his erratic league form and back to his generally never letting England down form!

His kicking reminded me of a great quote in commentary from Alan Parry. Can't remember the game now as it was probably 20 years ago or so but it always stuck with me. Seem to recall it was maybe an early round FA Cup game. Anyway one of the keeper's was continually kicking goal kicks out of play and he said "He washed his feet last night and can't do a thing with them today" :LOL:

Whatever the final brings I've really enjoyed this tournament and bar perhaps 3 or 4 boring games they've ranged from pretty good to absolutely excellent games.

I thought in that first part of the second half of extra time that Southgate had messed up changing formation as we began to sit so deep. Fortunately I don't think the Danes physically had anything left (plus a man short) to give in the last five minutes and we saw it out fairly comfortably although I'm sure I wasn't the only one expecting a final twist!

@Buzzy Pickford had a bit of an 'Everton' night didn't he! Really should have done better with the free kick (good as it was) and twice got away with giving the ball straight to the Danes just outside the penalty area. Did make a great save from Dolberg but hopefully that's the end of his erratic league form and back to his generally never letting England down form!

His kicking reminded me of a great quote in commentary from Alan Parry. Can't remember the game now as it was probably 20 years ago or so but it always stuck with me. Seem to recall it was maybe an early round FA Cup game. Anyway one of the keeper's was continually kicking goal kicks out of play and he said "He washed his feet last night and can't do a thing with them today" :LOL:
I agree, for now it's great just to be there from start to finish. If we did actually win, i will be on a pretty long bender :BEER:

Yep, Pickford first caught my attention late on in the Ukraine game. At times he has a knife for a foot, slicing balls too much at this level.
I was hoping he would have fixed that against the Danes.

Not only Pickford but all 11 players & subs will have to be immaculate on Sunday as this will be without doubt our biggest test of all.

I can't believe that, in my lifetime, we have got to a final. I also can't believe that it feels tainted - we may have been playing well but I think it was SO evenly-matched up to that point. A really good, really tense match-up - the game-plans were almost mirror-images of each other. The execution was so good from both sides.

For it not to be a moment of brilliance, but a penalty, and a PENALTY THAT WAS INITIALLY SAVED at that... Doesn't feel great.

Oh, and, there were two balls on the pitch when the foul was given! For a fairly long time! 9/10 times a referee will immediately halt the game in that situation!

...and yet we made it. Thank God we made it.
Chris, first of all, i wanted the Danes to win that match.
But England really deserved to win that match. Ok, it was with a questionable penalty, but for me it was also not a clear error, you see penalties like that regularly given. England deserved to win that match and don't feel gulty because you haven stolen it. To me that was not a clear error.

As a neutral, this English team does not excite me at all. I haven't seen a single performance where (as a neutral fan of good footnball) i have enjoyed watching England.

But should you guys care? No, not at all. Enjoy your final. Look at our team, in Russia we were the most entertaining team but lost to France. So we decided to play more realistic in order to win this time. We were boring as hell and went deservedly out in the quarter finals. Don't worry what people like me write. Enjoy it...this might well be once in a lifetime.

And as a neutral who wants to see a good final. I really hope England score first. If Italy scores first after 5 minutes, we will see a non match for 85 minutes.
In the match against us, in the second half they lost time for 12 entire minutes (yes somebody timed that, some people need to get a life).

Congratulations with the final, don't feel guilty, but bloody enjoy it!

And as a Spurs fan, i hope Kane scores a hattrick in order that bloody City or Real Madrid can pay us 200 million pounds for Kane. If he has to leave, let it be for an insane amount of money. Perhaps Levy will finally spend some of that money and buy some half decent players....

Good Luck!

...same shXX as 1966! :LOL: this time even with VAR... :LMAO:
as i said before... the fans are more than hungry, they are starving, i get that.

well, the universe will provide... it will all be good, i'm pretty sure! :D

Last edited:
But England really deserved to win that match. Ok, it was with a questionable penalty, but for me it was also not a clear error, you see penalties like that regularly given. England deserved to win that match and don't feel gulty because you haven stolen it. To me that was not a clear error.
Yeah I agree we did deserve to win it, it was tight for a long while but we had the best of the chances.

I think the penalty was one of those decisions where VAR will not intervene either way. Had he not given it they wouldn't have over turned it either. That said, as a top referee he should be well aware of Sterling's propensity to fall over.

Nice touch. :))

I think the penalty was one of those decisions where VAR will not intervene either way
They fucking shouldnt. No one should. VAR should be like in Rugby. Referee makes a decision - wants a confirmation - goes to the sideline and watches himself. Faster, more efficient and more fair. First and final decision should be the referee on the pitch.

I'd rather have it like it is in volleyball.
Do I (manager) think that the ref made a wrong call? I can ask for the call to be reviewed (spending one "token").
If I'm right, the call gets reverted and I get my token back. If I'm wrong, the call stands and I lose my token.
Once I run out of tokens, I can't ask for a video review anymore even if the call is blatantly wrong.

They fucking shouldnt. No one should. VAR should be like in Rugby. Referee makes a decision - wants a confirmation - goes to the sideline and watches himself. Faster, more efficient and more fair. First and final decision should be the referee on the pitch.

Yeah and it works perfectly well too. Then again Rugby's also a sport where players respect the ref's decisions unlike football where they've been allowed to question and berate the ref by the powers that be instead of it being stamped out.

can ask for the call to be reviewed
Reviewed by who though? I wouldnt care if it was tokens or not, but decision making should not leave the pitch. It should never be some invisible "experts" outside the pitch. Apart from soul destroying delays it creates lack of transparency. From all we know - Bob and Jim in VAR room might be playing rock scissors paper to make decisions there.

It's a shame Denmark's football odyssey came to an end but I do feel the better team won and of the both of them England deserved to go through more.

I knew the Danes would get tired as that 2nd half aged and as extra time loomed and we began to put more pressure on them. It was similar to their Belgium game, great in the first half but used up all their wind by the 2nd. Only difference being Belgium scored 2 fantastic goals and Denmark missed their own penalty.

I'm probably in the minority who thinks that was a penalty, yes I wish we beat Denmark more decisively through concise goals from open play but once in a while, even good teams have to scrape a result. I don't care how we get there, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to see England in a final in their own stadium and I think the form leading up to this has more than made up for it.

We are still underdogs compared to Italy though however Spain & Austria highlighted that even the Azzuri are vulnerable at the back.

It's their attack that I'm concerned about...

Reviewed by who though? I wouldnt care if it was tokens or not, but decision making should not leave the pitch. It should never be some invisible "experts" outside the pitch. Apart from soul destroying delays it creates lack of transparency. From all we know - Bob and Jim in VAR room might be playing rock scissors paper to make decisions there.
It is like the basketball, near the side line, where there is a desk of officials, secretaries, commissioners, whatever it's called in English, same position that the 4th referee stands in football. And they have all monitors.

I mean they can also watch the match by own eyes and by monitor if anything needs revision.

Commentator: "VAR seem to be taking a long time over this decision, they must be scrutinising every frame from every angle"

The VAR room
[HIDE][/HIDE]

I think Sterling (which played some unbelievable tournament, by the way.. best player hands down, to me) took a nice, clean dive, in all honestly.

But as I already said.. "state of football as a whole" :D . Which that's exactly the point I was trying to make in the other post.. you make it a question of principle for a single game or team, you better be ready to see your principles challenged very soon in first person.

Anyway, Denmark played a beautiful, intense match, with a remarkable tactical focus and discipline. However England was simply superior and I think they demonstrated it on the field. Saka is another fantastic winger I did not know before, togheter with Sterling is surely the player that impressed me the most yesterday. Also the defensive solidity is truly something else. A single goal taken in all the competition and on a free kick.. absolutely crazy.

In my opinion you guys fully deserved the final and should just be happy, and proud about it.

I truly hope sunday will be a nice day of football.. a celebration of sport.

Even if I think it's way more probable it will be a thrilling, rough drama:D

Back
Top Bottom