The Euro 2020 Thread

True, but he was also scoring regularly when the Dutch were playing 4-3-3 as well, I just wonder why Klopp didn't give him more freedom to break into the box when he is so effective at it, particularly last season when Mane and particularly Firmino were struggling for goals
I agree but (being devils advocate) I think Klopp used his versitality different aiming to have more football deeper in midfield while having less risk when being counterd.
When Wijnaldum played in the eredivisie he walked a lot with the ball and losing it more. He transformed as a player in Liverpool into a more mature player. The dutch now playing with 5 defenders are benefitting from this wijnaldum as he gets more freedom being covererd in his back he shows his simple passing mixed with his old instinct to get foreward.

Ha ha,yeah I've always connected 4-3-3 with Holland ,they even invented it I think,and Ajax plays it since the Cruyff days I think
yesh : )
Louis van Gaal played 5-3-2 at world cup 2014 overachieving with a squad we did't give a chance of reaching the knockouts. Now Frank de Boer is copying this calling it a 3-5-2 system being criticised heavily past month.

yesh : )
Louis van Gaal played 5-3-2 at world cup 2014 overachieving with a squad we did't give a chance of reaching the knockouts. Now Frank de Boer is copying this calling it a 3-5-2 system being criticised heavily past month.
Seems to be working in this competion though,think Holland has been playing great.
Especially since they were terrible just a few years back. 2016ish?
That had to be the worst Holland has ever been

They were : ) Damn : )
But being a small country we'll always have waves of ups and downs.
I just think we've not been tested propily yet.
Our backs looking propper with the space they had but I feel this could be very different against smart opposition.
And how will the team cope after conceding a goal, I'm not so sure.
I guess I'm cautious.

Last edited:
They were : ) Damn : )
But being a small country we always will have/had waves of ups and downs.
I just think we've not being tested propily yet.
Our backs looking propper with the space they had but I feel this could be very different against smart opposition.
And how will the team cope after conceding a goal, I'm not so sure.
I guess I'm cautios.
You're right,but you have always been a power house in European/world football.
Back then ,it had to be either the QF for 16 or 18,Holland finished way down in the table.
My memory might play tricks on me though

Great performance from Saka first half, still think we look iffy in defence though and better teams will punish us.

You're right,but you have always been a power house in European/world football.
Back then ,it had to be either the QF for 16 or 18,Holland finished way down in the table.
My memory might play tricks on me though
Thanks : ) but being dutch also means being trained with losing critical games.
Supporting ajax this means losing critical games in the last minute ; )
By the way its a shame Zlatan didn't make it, but Isak is something special too.

Thanks : ) but being dutch also means being trained with losing critical games.
Supporting ajax this means losing critical games in the last minute ; )
By the way its a shame Zlatan didn't make it, but Isak is something special too.
Yeah Isak will be a powerhouse in the future, nowhere near Zlatan though:)
He had trouble getting in to the Ajax system back in the day.
I listened to a Swedish podcast about Jari Litmanen, remember him?
Apparently he was voted best foreign player in Eredivisie and n history.
Even before OG Ronaldo.
Spectacular player Jari

Litmanen best teamplayer ever.
Ronaldo was gone after only 2 seasons.
He was crazy at that young age but really hit his prime and consistency at Barca.
Zlatan showed class and insecurity at the start at Ajax.
the spoiled fans in the stadium weren't patient with him.
He started to overreact while being booed sharing his elbow with opposition defenders a lot.
But during 02/03 season damn. Especially the CL campaign he was unstoppable.
That goal against Italy... unique. He desrves a CL win.

Litmanen best teamplayer ever.
Ronaldo was gone after only 2 seasons.
He was crazy at that young age but really hit his prime and consistency at Barca.
Zlatan showed class and insecurity at the start at Ajax.
the spoiled fans in the stadium weren't patient with him.
He started to overreact while being booed sharing his elbow with opposition defenders a lot.
But during 02/03 season damn. Especially the CL campaign he was unstoppable.
That goal against Italy... unique. He desrves a CL win.
Fun fact,I support Hammarby here in Sweden,where Zlatan owns 47%.
Last season before Serie A got going for him he trained and played friendly games for us.
Our players where pretty starstruck :)
And we've always had open trainings so people could go down and watch some magic from him

Fun fact,I support Hammarby here in Sweden,where Zlatan owns 47%.
Last season before Serie A got going for him he trained and played friendly games for us.
Our players where pretty starstruck :)
And we've always had open trainings so people could go down and watch some magic from him
You became champions right?

I also know Jari Litmanen, and remember he was one of my first player (Ajax) I see on TV and later playing Fifa99.

I was so young... :DUMMY::LOL:

Didn't watch the game,did pop in every now and then.
Bad?

A pretty good first half, Grealish and Saka in particular driving forward with the ball every time they had it. Second half, Henderson on for Rice, Czech's came back into it a bit but didn't really threaten but we showed very little ambition to add to our lead really then some more subs pretty much killed the game. Struck me that if we are going to play in this way, get ahead and sit on it we might as well get Mourinho in as manager! I mean it's job done but we've effectively played for 20 minutes at the start of the Croatia game and the first half tonight, with very little else of note. Need to play for 90 minutes next Tuesday.

Well that was yet another hugely underwhelming second half of settle for what you have football from Southgate.
The pressure on your team is always sooo big and the amount of youtube content they're producing during training camp now doesn't help either I feel.

Back
Top Bottom