The England Topic

Sven said that he made some mistakes in the past with his selection but he's willing to take every risk since its his last competition so I'm not all that surprised with the squad.

RuneEdge said:
Sven said that he made some mistakes in the past with his selection but he's willing to take every risk since its his last competition so I'm not all that surprised with the squad.

If he was staying SWP & Defoe would of gone.

rockykabir said:
To be fair, Defoe has been playing well - it's just that Jol prefers to play Keane and Mido: who have been great this year. Otherwise he could have played a lot more.

But he did move from Charlton's youth side to West Ham....so I guess things will always come back to haunt ya ;)

Haunt Ya?

'Ya' being him??

I hope so, because he is the greedy fucker who only cares about himself.
He shits on everyone to get what he wants.

People like that ALWAYS get whats coming to them.

I think Defoe,SWP and bent and king deserved to go. One side of me understands that if your not playing regulary you shouldnt get picked. But then how does that little shit Wilcock get into the squad.

So if Owen and rooney dont make it, we rely on a make shift winger in Theo Wilcock who hasnt played a game this year. Along with a clumsy lanky dork in Peter Crouch. We may aswell call Heskey up to the squad, this isridiculous. I try to make sense of this squad but i cant. I just noticed Downing is in the squad, wtf someone please explain what this guy has done to get into the team? Luke Young on standby instead of KIng?

And expect more of this kind of selection cuz Mcclaren will be next in line in taking over and im sure he had his say in this mess and is reason why his lovechild downing has been chosen.

Downing? Not convinced he's worthy over SWP. That's my only real gripe.

I'm glad Sven has gambled on Lennon. He's had a great season and is a selection based on form and recent performances, not history and status.

Walnut? Even I'm speculative on this one. Just to think he will only be 21 at the NEXT world cup give you some perspective on how much a gamble this is. It should have been Walcott OR Lennon for me, not both.

PLus lennon and Wilcott are very similar players, neither are direct strikers.Really we are only goin with three real strikers and only one being fit in Crouch while rooney and owen are still recovering from broken foots and still when they recover, they wont be 100%. We are fucked. Sven might be doing this on purpose to get revenge bk for getting the sack lol.

King is not going because he is struggling with injury.
This twinned with the fact that we have some great CB's makes it understandable.

Also I think this influenced the decision to take Hargreaves.
Before he would have taken King to cover Carrick in the DM role and Young to cover the RB role.

Now King is out he can take Hargreaves to cover both!
Freeing up an extra place for someone else.

How drunk was Sven when he picked the names for the squad?!

Owen - Not 100%
Rooney - Not 100%
Crouch - Not really proved himself at International level
Walcott - Not even proved himself at club level

Is it too late to sack Sven now?

Alucard said:
Its funny cuz yesterday i think it was, Wenger came out and said Theo should go, actually here is the article. Acting like he didnt know he was gonna get called up, the slimeball. These guys seriously need to take up politics and i mean, Sven, Wenger and David Dein, all are sly and slimy.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?...d=&title=Wenger:+Walcott+for+England&channel=

I don't see the logic in that accusation....if Walcott goes and plays well: It'll be good for England and Arsenal. If Walcott goes and is a flop and/or gets injured, it is as bad for Arsenal as it is for England :confused:

rockykabir said:
I don't see the logic in that accusation....if Walcott goes and plays well: It'll be good for England and Arsenal. If Walcott goes and is a flop and/or gets injured, it is as bad for Arsenal as it is for England :confused:

Yeah.

I think Wenger mentioned Walcott recently to hint to the press and the rumours started.
Preparing the fans for the shock inclusion.
(Which Sven may or may not have had in mind for a while)

If Walcott goes on to play a blinder everyone will be hailing it as the best decision Sven ever made.

The flip-side of this is that if he goes and plays like some Sunday league footballer it will affect the lad for teh rest of his career

No matter whether Walcott is the new football demi-god and scores a hat-trick in the final or he flops. He won't probably even play. What matters is that Bent has not been called having done everything possible to deserve it, and Walcott has done NOTHING to deserve going.

Here in Spain we're having some debates. Why is Guti probably not going to the WC having had a great year? Does Marcos Senna, who has not even debuted with Spain, and is just a handful of months Spanish, deserve the place more than Guti? Should Cesc play instead of Xavi? Torres or Villa? But all these debates involve players that have had a great season, have played Champions League games, have a lot of experience and are in very good form. If the Spanish manager called young promise Soldado instead of David Villa (topscorer) we would all think that he has gone nuts... and still Soldado has Champions League and La Liga experience, has scored a handful of goals and is Segunda División topscorer although he has gone with the first team for half of the season. Theo Walcott might be the next Michael Owen or the English Leo Messi in two years, or even in two months, but he has done NOTHING to deserve being called.

Sven's choice is unfair. Walcott should be happy... because I'm almost certain that he will be one of the very few players that will go to a World Cup not having played a single professional match.

Plus... is he that good? I just don't know him that well, never seen him play. :)

I think you have to get the 'deserved' bit out of your head mate.

Yes it may be unfair on Bent but tough shit.
Walcott is better than Bent.

No businessman made it big by being nice.

Can't get over Hargreaves making it again. I see the need for a player than can play in a bunch of positions, but seriously, does he even start in Germany these days?

I would like to have seen kieran richardson as a possible sub. He is *gasp* left footed, and while Downing's final ball is generally better richardson is much tougher to mark. And clearly youth and inexperience aren't negatives to sven...

MrCoopz said:
Isnt this just the squad for the friendlys?
No mate, basically his World Cup squad which will be named next week.

And 5 standby players, which I assume will travel to Germany and will be there as a replacement up to 2pm on the 7th June.

Wether they stay with the squad for the tournament for experience or go away on holiday is upto Sven/Club/player??

if rooney did'nt get injured would sven have taken so many risks? i doubt it....for someone who is on 5 mil a year, he is so reliant on a 20 year old...he's unbelievable!!

valroy said:
if rooney did'nt get injured would sven have taken so many risks? i doubt it....for someone who is on 5 mil a year, he is so reliant on a 20 year old...he's unbelievable!!

Who's the woman mate?

(I have to stop asking that question!!)

But it's you lot with the avatars!!;)

rockykabir said:

Dont see the logic in what? I didnt say he will not play well for england if thats what 'accusation' your assuming i made. My point was Wenger already knew Theo was gonna get selected when he made the suggestion of him getting called up, hence preparing everyone for the shock decision which was annouced today. Also im sure David Dein had a say in it. Sven has even come out and admitted he hasnt seen the boy in training this season.

The England squad selection has a few BIG BIG mistakes/probs in it now thanks to Sven!

Some extremely dubious and unjustified decisions like inclusion of Theo Wallcot, Hargreaves (this time he really shouldn't have made it) and exclusion of Nolan, Darren Bent who couldn't have possibly done more this season to EARN that place!

So having just read this thread, I'm all for the points Gedtillo and Alucard made cuz they're pretty much what I've been saying here in my own thread:
https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/22775/page-256

Can't be bothered repeating them over though cuz there's been too much said in detail and not just concerning these few players either.

Edit: And oh yeah Stevo, you know I usually agree with you and like you but this comment here:
steevio_uk said:
I think you have to get the 'deserved' bit out of your head mate.

Yes it may be unfair on Bent but tough shit.
Walcott is better than Bent. :shock:
is gotta be one of the biggest BS I've read in a while although I can respect if it is just "Your opinion" but you don't make it sound like that. You say it like it's a fact and I happen to disagree 110% and I'm actually pretty sure it's the other way around with in terms of "CURRENT ABILITY", Darren Bent compared to Theo Walcott is probably actually a huge mis-match!

Last edited:
So, steevio_uk, the facts you are basing your statement are that you have watched both and prefer Walcott. Might I ask which games worth mentioning has Walcott taken part in? On the other hand, Bent has scored 18 goals this season... and that's pretty much what's needed in a striker. He's been a consistent scorer in the U-19 and U-21 teams.

It will be pretty difficult to explain what does an English striker need to do in order to get to the World Cup squad. One might think that being the English top scorer, having played and scored regularly with the junior teams and having Premier League games experience could mean a thing... but instead the key points are not playing a single match, having zero caps and a short junior England experience, not having debuted in the Premier League and being praised by Arséne Wenger.

Gedtillo said:
but instead the key points are not playing a single match, having zero caps and a short junior England experience, not having debuted in the Premier League and being praised by Arséne Wenger.

:lol: That pretty much sums things up in what you really need to do to get into the England squad!

He probably based his opinion of Walcott on that dumb music video. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom