The England Topic

I reckon play Joe Cole in the hole behind Owen (ooooh!).

PLEASE. NO. CROUCH!!!!!!

England Squad:

Goalkeepers:
Robinson (Spurs), James (Man City), Green (Norwich)

Defenders:
Terry (Chelsea), R. Ferdinand (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), Neville (Man Utd), Campbell (Arsenal), A Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Chelsea)

Midfielders:
Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), J. Cole (Chelsea), Carrick (Spurs), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Spurs), Downing (Middlesbrough), Lennon (Spurs)

Forwards:
Rooney (Man Utd), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal)

No Defoe, King or Bent

:shock:

Looking VERY thin up front!! Why no Defoe, OK he's not the best striker we have but he has a bit of experience. Certainly more than young Theo!

Clockender said:
:shock:

Looking VERY thin up front!! Why no Defoe, OK he's not the best striker we have but he has a bit of experience. Certainly more than young Theo!

Element of surprise mate.

No one will know who the hell Lennon and Walcott are.;)

steevio_uk said:
Element of surprise mate.

No one will know who the hell Lennon and Walcott are.;)

Owen in 1998 anyone??????

Dead Man said:
Owen in 1998 anyone??????

Exactly... and Rooney too.

With Rooney doubtful, he and Lennon could be truly the only players that could make something out of nothing.

steevio_uk said:

With Rooney doubtful, he and Lennon could be truly the only players that could make something out of nothing.

Rooney should be fit for after group stages!

steevio_uk said:

I take your point, but Theo hasn't even played a Premiership game yet! Its asking a lot to compare him with Owen at the 1998 WC. He had made his Liverpool debut 12 months previosuly!

No World Cup squad will use all 23 players in the matches.

Walcott going will give him some WC experience and make him a better players for years to come.

Downing is crap, not much other choice for the left though.

I agree about Owen Hargreaves. ABSOLUTE CRAP.

King not being included is a major suprise, epecially since SOL is in. SOL HAS BEEN SHOCKING for ARSENAL. Unbelievably crap. The only reason I can see is SVEN doesn't view KING as a CB, and I would agree that Carrick is much better than King in the DM role. But I would have taken Ledders ahead of SOL for CB.

SWP is 100 times the player Lennon is...however, Chelsea have ruined him this season and he hasn't played. IF THIS IS SVEN'S CRITERIA THOUGH...WHY WALCOTT?! (probably for the reason I said above).

With Rooney I think HE HAS TO BE INCLUDED. Remember, we can change this up until 24 hours before the finals, so there is no harm in including him here...unless you reckon there will be aninjury crisis.

I can see why Bent hasn't been taken. He's a 'standard' player and defences all over the world will know his type. He's much the same as Defoe for me (maybe a little better at headin), but for me, BOTH Defoe and Bent were a no go. Defoe would always edge it for me. Still, Bent is in form but one good season in the Prem doesn't cut it.

Same with Andy Johnson...I can see him being a little bit different though. He has a good build, good speed and good skill. If Crouch or Rooney drops out it will be him Sven brings in...if it's Owen of Walcott then Defoe will be brought in. (having Bent there would be pointless).

I think we've stumbled on England's starting lineup as well (look at the way it was read out in the FA video, I bet sven handed the FA a peice of paper on which he had listed his starting 11 first):

Robbo
Neville
Rio
JT
Cole

Becks
Carrick
Fat Frank
Gerro (on left)

Cole
Crouch

(assuming Rooney and Owen don't play).

Seems strange that he'd put Stevie G on the left and not Cole, but that seems the way he's going.

This is the end of my squad analysis.

I'm all for Lennon. He would be my surprise package a la Owen '98. However, i do feel very very sorry for Darren Bent. Being the top scoring Englishman in the Premiership with some 20+ goals wasn't enough.

PS if Frank is Fat, what the hell is Robinson? ;)

The england line up is shocking. Its suprised me Sven has tried something new, althought i dont agree with some of his selections. It was very bold to select Lennon ahead of SWP, I bet SWP must be gutted! Thats what he gets for choosing money and glory over football. Overall i guess its fair cuz Lennon has actually been playing and doing the business while SWP has been on the bench.

I dont know how Thoe Willycock has warranted a place considering the boy hasnt even started a premiership match this season. Wenger must of tipped Sven off in some way cuz that is criminal. Its pure gamble but you got to give credit to Sven for being brave for once and making a decision from his own head.

Alucard said:
The england line up is shocking. Its suprised me Sven has tried something new, althought i dont agree with some of his selections. It was very bold to select Lennon ahead of SWP, I bet SWP must be gutted! Thats what he gets for choosing money and glory over football. Overall i guess its fair cuz Lennon has actually been playing and doing the business while SWP has been on the bench.

I dont know how Thoe Willycock has warranted a place considering the boy hasnt even started a premiership match this season. Wenger must of tipped Sven off in some way cuz that is criminal. Its pure gamble but you got to give credit to Sven for being brave for once and making a decision from his own head.

People always said he was not brave!

SWP should not of gone, He chose Chelsea for money now look!

Hope this shows EVERY PLAYER DONT SIGN FOR CHELSEA! When playing regular at your club

erm walcott? he hasn't played one single game, yet the top scoring english striker this season has been left out? Sven's loosing the plot.

I think Lennon was a good decision though.

There was a trend of players making that same mistake some time ago at la Liga when moving to Barça. Pizzi, Alfonso, Riquelme, Cuéllar, Kodro, they were top scorers at their teams and the local star... and then went to Barça and it all was over.

I guess being called by a big team might seem irresistible... but will it help your career at all if you do it too soon? On the contrary you can see how Wayne Rooney has succeeded at United despite his youth...

See Defoe left West Ham to further his career :lmao: :lmao:

No Champions League Football, No World Cup (Though he could still make it), No FA Cup Final.

Love It.

Only a matter of time before he fucks Spurs over and moves to a bigger club.
Mini Judas wanker.

Clockender said:
I take your point, but Theo hasn't even played a Premiership game yet! Its asking a lot to compare him with Owen at the 1998 WC. He had made his Liverpool debut 12 months previosuly!

I was just referring to that 'special ability'. The X-Factor if you will.

iam surprised he didnt include danny mills or emile heskey :lmao:

act of desperation.

THe squad is littered with injuries....mainly upfront..

I find it amazing that Sven does not call Defoe or, specially, Bent, and instead decides to call Theo Walcott.

I mean, I could understand that decision if Rooney and Owen were on fire, in perfect form, and Crouch was injured: then I'd think that Sven is confident about his starting pair (Owen-Rooney) and wants to give promising young star Walcott a chance to see how a WC is from the inside. I'd certainly pick Rooney and Owen above Bent, and although I would still pick the topscorer instead of a totally unexperienced player, I could be able to understand it.

But as of today I don't get it at all. Not only Owen and Rooney are likely to miss the WC or at least to get it at poor condition, but then Sven has a smoke and decides that top scoring Englishman Bent shouldn't either go, because, you know, let's make it exciting, given we've lost our two better stikers, wouldn't it be fun if we also choosed not to bring the guy who's scoring more through this season? Yeah! Let's pick Crouch and, errrr, lemme see... who do we have that's totally unexperienced, has proved nothing in the Premiership and is still to play a single minute of an important game? Yeah! That's Walcott! Let's pick him INSTEAD!

I'm not complaining that they called Walcott, I just find it stupid to do so INSTEAD of Bent. I'd pick Owen, Rooney, Crouch and Bent, and should any of the two first fail to come, THEN I'd call Walcott. But not before! :S

I take bakc all the credit i gave Sven bor Erikkson after noticing his love child Owen Hargreaves has been selected! Wtf does this guy do to warrent a place in the squad?!

steevio_uk said:
See Defoe left West Ham to further his career :lmao: :lmao:

No Champions League Football, No World Cup (Though he could still make it), No FA Cup Final.

Love It.

Only a matter of time before he fucks Spurs over and moves to a bigger club.
Mini Judas wanker.

To be fair, Defoe has been playing well - it's just that Jol prefers to play Keane and Mido: who have been great this year. Otherwise he could have played a lot more.

But he did move from Charlton's youth side to West Ham....so I guess things will always come back to haunt ya ;)

In other words... pick me! I've got the same Premiership experience!

I am not neither English nor a striker, but hey, does anything matter at this point! Sven, pick me, I want to go sightseeing Germany!

In other words... pick me! I've got the same Premiership experience!

I am not neither English nor a striker, but hey, does anything matter at this point! Sven, pick me, I want to go sightseeing Germany!

v v true Gedtillo - but I think Sven is taking the risk (hey - what has he got to lose?!) in discovering another new explosive player. The prob is, you simply can't plan these things - I hate to imagine all the pressure that kid is feeling atm.

We'll see....I don't think Rooney can make it so Defoe can still make it ;)

rockykabir said:
We'll see....I don't think Rooney can make it so Defoe can still make it ;)

Keep saying that if Rooney bone has healed by the start he will play after group stages.

Think he will be fit!

Back
Top Bottom