The England Topic

jamie_mack said:
Sven said we will have to see how he is in seven months, I think its was disgrace that he got in as a midfielder over some other players in the premiership!
Why? Who missed out?

Scott Parker for a start id have Nicky Butt in over him anyday of the week or even Reo Coker or Joey barton on there current form, then you have although injured Carrick and he plays a different role Murphy!

I'd like to see Barton, Parker and Carrick get a crack at the holding role as well in some games, but i think Butt is a known commodity.

It may be better to play Ledley at DMF because with aggressive SB's like Cole and Neville who get up the pitch, Ledley would likely be a better defensive option than the other 3 mentioned above.

Still, Barton has played really well in the games i have seen this season, as has Murphy. I'd like to see how Sven ends up sorting all this out as 2006 rolls thru.

I certainly feel more optimistic of England's chances after Wednesday, compared with how I felt Saturday. We'll only manage the quarters (again) if we don't buck up our ideas though. Another thing, if I hear the words "world-class" again, I'll scream. Most overused term of endearment with our overpaid underplayed footballers.

Arrogant English Point Of The Day 2
From F365:

Football 365.com's mediawatch section said:
'The Scottish Football Association told a meeting of the four Home Nations associations in Belfast on Thursday that they have ruled out taking any part in any British football team at the Games.'

Mediawatch would assume that the Scottish players have probably ruled it out themselves, by embarrassing themselves consistently for the last 20 years...

Who else thought exactly the same thing when the read the scottish Fa's quotes! :D

What a match so far. Someone explain to me why no is linking Requelme with some of the big CL clubs? The man is lethal! What happened when he was at Barca? Rooney has once again looked absolute top quality, as has Beckham to be fair. Can't see this ending 1-1...bring on the second half!!!

england got a good chance of wining it. now i will start supporting england again HAHAHAH... GREAT WIN first time since WC98 that i have cheered for england hehehe and thats comingf rom a person who was born and raised here hahahah!!!

we need LOTS of luck if we was to win it nxt summer

rockykabir said:
WHAT A GAME!!!!! 3-2!!

best friendly ever!

yeah, the best i've seen anyway.

i liked the fact that sven changed the team around and made it more attacking.

joe cole made a big difference.

Can every match be like this? Excitement, mistakes, end to end, late goals, near misses, shots that hit posts.....perfect! Tbh, either way, the result didn't really matter but what a good game.

The thing with Crouch is, theres no use being 7foot tall, if you don't position yourself in the right area. Owen has scored some fantastic headers throughout the years for England, despite being 5ft 10

Brilliant game.

And who delivered the final cross? JOE COLE!

Haha, just kidding. It looks like Crouch actually pushed owen into taking that haeder.

It was a great team effort, out of the players who had an average game i can pick out Wayne Bridge, Luke Young, Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard, all looking slightly off par.

Other than that great win.

Crouch saw glory and ended up bundling into Owen, Owen was having none of it, and locked his arm round his head to prevent him from getting any where near it. :D

I think Crouch is a decent target man, but I'd still rarther have Owen on the end of any ball 10/10

rockykabir said:
btw......why are they playing in Geneva?

It was supposed to be Argentina's home game but they decided that as most of the players play in Europe there was no point making everybody trounce over the Argentina.

As to why Geneva specifically, you can't get more neutral than Switzerland!

Nickybaker said:
Who else thought exactly the same thing when the read the scottish Fa's quotes! :D
What was the score the last time the teams met?

SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

btw I don't hate the English, I don't even hate your team, I hate your media and 'Engerrlund' brigade who never fail to go over the top.

They'd come under that too yes, but mainly those who have a similar attitude to the media in that it's their god-given right to win the world cup/euros, talking about such things two matches into the qualifiers for these tournaments.

Sven-Goran Eriksson will quit as England coach following this summer's World Cup finals.

Eriksson met with FA officials on Monday and will leave the job after six years in charge.

The 57-year-old Swede said: "I am happy that we have reached this agreement and can now continue our preparations for the World Cup.

"It is important to stress how committed I am to success this summer. Let's go and win the World Cup."

A compensation deal has been agreed on Eriksson's £4m-a-year contract, which was due to run out in 2008.

The England coach continued: "I know that I have the full support of the players and the FA.

"I care passionately about this job and I want everyone to know that.

"I have always enjoyed the incredible support of the fans and I know how important they will be to us in Germany."

Eriksson has come under increasing pressure following an interview with an undercover reporter from the News of the World.

The latest revelations, published on Sunday, had him accusing Premiership managers of receiving illicit payments from transfer deals.

He has also been linked to jobs at Manchester United and Chelsea since taking over from Kevin Keegan.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick said: "The FA and Sven felt it was important to clarify his future.

"There has been so much speculation surrounding this matter in recent weeks and months, it was important to resolve it now.

"This is the right outcome and I would like to thank Sven and his advisors for their tremendous co-operation.

"Our main objective is giving Sven and the England team the best chance of achieving success at the World Cup and Sven is definitely the man to lead us in Germany."

Eriksson was watching West Ham play Fulham on Monday when the announcement was made at Soho Square.

SVEN'S SUCCESSOR
Sam Allardyce 5/2
Steve McClaren 7/2
Ottmar Hitzfeld 8/1
Martin O'Neill 10/1
Steve Bruce 12/1
Sir Trevor Brooking 20/1
Kevin Keegan 100/1

Its hardly the finest list of managers is it, I wouldnt want either of the two favourites

Back
Top Bottom