The England Topic

you can only play well against the opponent you are playing. Rooney has done that so far and much more. Its almost as if ppl are annoyed at seeing a young english talented footballer. lighten up :roll:

Re: Rooney

**WARNING: POSSIBLE STUPID THREAD COMING AHEAD***

Its true, Rooney hasn't really played up against any world class defensive players but lets not forget that he's only 18 and only started playing for England a couple of games ago.

But the guy is a nutter. Whether you are Nesta or some random premiership reserve, he will kick you just to get at the ball and you don't see that in many players. Combine that with skill and, well, nuff said :mrgreen: .

I won't say that he'll definitely be even 1/10th of the player Maradona was. I mean, I can't imagine him solely taking Everton to league success as Mazza has done with Napoli but he does have that potential.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that most people, myself included, just place these legends on an irreachable pedestal of football history. Greats like Pele and Mazza had to start from somewhere and sometimes a big tournament like the European cup may be the kickstart to a glorious career.

I don't know whats goin on in Rooney's head at the moment but its worrying that this brief success might get to his head and seriously affect his development into becoming a truly world class player. This is particularly difficult coming from a 'Pool fan, but I reckon he should stay at Everton or go to a proven manager who has successfully developed young players like Wenger or Ferguson. But the way the current market is goin, it looks like he'll be heading for Chelsea (I don't really know much on Mourinho :( ).

For the sake of English football and football as a whole, I really hope things work out for WR. It seems nowadays people are more concerned with the new Beckham haircut or Totti's saliva than what its really about ;)

My two cents anyway......

csaunders said:
Frances defense is woefull??!?!?!?!!?!? Not sure your point mate..... Rooney tore up Frances defense, and croatia are not the swiss, Tudor anyone!?!?!? Simic?!!??! They have some class in the back, not Italy mind you, but they are not the Swiss. Silvestre is a very good defender, not sure your point again....

Silvestre is a very poor player, he's conceeded 2 penalties in the 1st 2 games and basically gave away a goal in the last match against the Swiss. Rooney beat Silvestre effectivly, once in that 1st match and got a penalty saying he tore up France's defence what planet are you on - most of the second half England were camped out in their own area. Maybe woefull is an overstatement but the French defense is the weak point of their team - the facts bear it out, theyve conceeded 2 goals to Croatia and even one to the Swiss - if Santini had played with Mexes or maybe Boomsong instead of Silvestre then the French defence would be much better.

The Croats dont have that many good defenders, im sorry but the likes of Simunic are not good defenders. Even Zikovic and Tudor are better going forward (esp. at heading) than defending, and their goalie Butina is the reserve, Pletikosa is the first choice. Croatia are a good attacking team with players like Rosso, Klasenic, Mornar, Pršo but their defence is not good, they made errors for all the England goals and the second french goal so far as I remember. Teams with better defences wont make these errors.

Wow some severe Rooney hating going on.

The kid has surpassed every expectation, he's out performing some of the so called big players and had scored 4 vital goals to get his country to the 1/4's..

What more could he do FFS.

Give him some credit, to do that at any age is something special but to do it at 18 is remarkable, hence the Pele comparisons, obvioulsy he doesnt play like Pele but they are similar in the impact they have had in their 1st major tourney.

CS, sorry mate your in America so I don't think you really have a valid opinion from what is going on the TV and radio, unless your over here?

what more do we see than what he see's may i ask?

He knows just as much as me and you

it wasn't too long ago(ok it was) that Owen ripped through the Argentina defence and scored one of the best World Cup goals, but look at him now.

Yeah look at him now, top England goal scorer and will easily go on to break all goalscoring records for his country and the premiership (if he stays there that is)

may i add

RRRROOOOOOOOONNNNNNEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

:D

super mick mcarthy said:
CS, sorry mate your in America so I don't think you really have a valid opinion from what is going on the TV and radio, unless your over here?

Right we'll trying something, you MrMc stick your tranny on a sports station and CS can do on his side of the ocean. See how much Rooney he hears over there.

FD

csaunders said:
Rooney tore up Frances defense
One good run does not constitute tearing up a defense, and as has been said already England defended for the majority of that match and let France have ball, so how can you possibly have done what you say :eh: ?

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Wow some severe Rooney hating going on.

The kid has surpassed every expectation, he's out performing some of the so called big players and had scored 4 vital goals to get his country to the 1/4's..

What more could he do FFS.

Not Rooney hating at all, it's only being pointed out that there is too much being made of him by both media and fans. There are lots of players outperforming the so called big players, they've already been mentioned. Rooney has achieved his success against mediocre defenses in world football terms, let's see how he faces up against a better quality of defender before saying he's the best player in Europe form-wise like Steven Gerrard was earlier. In terms of domestic club football, lately he's been anonymous, but 2 good games against teams England were expected to beat from the outset and one good run against France make him the best player in Europe at the moment, that's far too OTT.

Right we'll trying something, you MrMc stick your tranny on a sports station and CS can do on his side of the ocean. See how much Rooney he hears over there.

FD

has he not discovered the internet yet?

a quick scout around any british (scottish included im sure) website will at this time contain the hype about Rooney

Im sorry but i refuse to beleive just becuase he lives in America this will pass him bye, as the Lebron James thing didnt pass the English bye.

fd1972uk said:
So Coopz are you saying he's better than Pele? And Gerrard better than Viera? The shite count is clocking up.

FD

Gerrard is better than Viera yes and i have never seen Pele play so i cant comment

MrCoopz said:
fd1972uk said:
So Coopz are you saying he's better than Pele? And Gerrard better than Viera? The shite count is clocking up.

FD

Gerrard is better than Viera yes and i have never seen Pele play so i cant comment

I agree mate, Gerrard is better than Viera IMO. I thought Sven was comparing the impact that Rooney is having on a major tournament, like Pele did all those years ago, he wasnt comparing them as players, well thats jut what ive heard

People are over reacting with rooney, but you can't argue with the fact that he has been one of the stars of the tournment. Lets see how he does against portugal.

im sure we can all agree comparing rooney to players like pele, maradonna etc is ridicolous (media sensationalism, who'd think it ??)but its unbelievable how much some people are refusing to give credit where its due. the hype is a bit sickening but you cant play down the fact thats hes been amazing and is having a huge impact on the tournament thus far.

when people say all he did was make one run against the french you have to laugh really. fair enuff if they want to take the piss out of people like james but rooney played brilliantly that game whatever way you look at it. the swizz and croatia dont have the best defences but plenty of great players struggle against similar teams and scoring 4 in 3 in an international torny is no easy feat (unless your klose vs the saudis ;)). for example the 'world class' super serie a player trezeguet, has played against the same teams i believe.

laporta said that everywhere he goes everyone is talking about rooney as well. hes still has a lot to do if he want to be considered world class let alone go down as the player of the torny but to suggest hes been the best player so far is completely reasonable.

gerrard has had a better season than vieira but imo vieira still proved hes top dog in the england france game.

oh well, atleast you can always trust the scots to keep you amused. some of the excuses being given out have reached new depths of woefullness.

faiers said:
im sure we can all agree comparing rooney to players like pele, maradonna etc is ridicolous (media sensationalism, who'd think it ??)but its unbelievable how much some people are refusing to give credit where its due. the hype is a bit sickening but you cant play down the fact thats hes been amazing and is having a huge impact on the tournament thus far.

when people say all he did was make one run against the french you have to laugh really. fair enuff if they want to take the piss out of people like james but rooney played brilliantly that game whatever way you look at it. the swizz and croatia dont have the best defences but plenty of great players struggle against similar teams and scoring 4 in 3 in an international torny is no easy feat (unless your klose vs the saudis ;)). for example the 'world class' super serie a player trezeguet, has played against the same teams i believe.

laporta said that everywhere he goes everyone is talking about rooney as well. hes still has a lot to do if he want to be considered world class let alone go down as the player of the torny but to suggest hes been the best player so far is completely reasonable.

gerrard has had a better season than vieira but imo vieira still proved hes top dog in the england france game.

oh well, atleast you can always trust the scots to keep you amused. some of the excuses being given out have reached new depths of woefullness.
Top post mate

The media always hype up things, but i think what Sven was trying to say was Rooney is having the effect on world football that Pele was at his age.
He wasnt comparing how good each player was, merely what they were / are doing at their age respectively

Rooney has one hell of a future ahead of him though, this england team will be together for at least the next 4 years imo and will only get better :)

i completely agree with you mate but good luck trying to get the scots to understand that ;).

yeah we could definately have a top class side in 2006/08 if some of the younger players develop properly, hopefully with rooney recognised as one of the best in the world by then :mrgreen: . its scary to think he will still only be 20 by the next world cup.

It was funny reading the tabloids today - I mean, it clearly quotes what Ericsson says and we all understand what he is getting at.

But the editors must be thinking that we are fools by manipulating his words into saying that Rooney has become a great like Pele. :roll:

faiers said:
..and scoring 4 in 3 in an international torny is no easy feat (unless your klose vs the saudis ;)).

correct me if im wrong (and i might be coz these are just from memory) but last world cup:-

Tomasson 4 goals in first 3 games (2 v Uruguay, 1 v Senegal, 1 v France).

Hes not really rated as a star player... Also Wilmots and Pauleta got 3 in their first 3

In USA 94, the not very great Oleg Salenko was top scorer with 6 goals and his Russia side only played the first 3 matches - history has forgotton him.

funny you say that but i actually thought tomasson didnt get enough credit for his world cup performances. with pauleta and salenko (lol i remember him too, wasnt it 4 or 5 in one game ?) you always get the odd player getting a load of goals in the odd game but the differance with rooney is he has combined those with brilliant all round performances (thats more of a world cup thing though mind you). you may disagree but imo hes basically playing like gazza and sheringham combined. if rooney had just scored and played cr*p id hold my hands up but hes been top class all round.

Roomania is here!

espfutingpoli62880440.jpg

Lets here it for the boy! :D

cfdh_edmundo said:
faiers said:
..and scoring 4 in 3 in an international torny is no easy feat (unless your klose vs the saudis ;)).

correct me if im wrong (and i might be coz these are just from memory) but last world cup:-

Tomasson 4 goals in first 3 games (2 v Uruguay, 1 v Senegal, 1 v France).

Hes not really rated as a star player... Also Wilmots and Pauleta got 3 in their first 3

In USA 94, the not very great Oleg Salenko was top scorer with 6 goals and his Russia side only played the first 3 matches - history has forgotton him.

Truesay, but for Rooney its also been a case of his play outside the box. His aggression and ball handling has been incredible and you can sense he has added a new dimension to England's game. I have been very cynical of Rooney but it has been evident that there is more to his game which does make him special.

Given the right guidance, he has the potential to go onto great things. But this age (i.e. between 18-22) will be really crucial for him. If he can surpass expectations over the next few years, there is no reason for him not to become an England, or even a world, great..... ;)

People sensed that Owen will become a great. He is going through a rough patch at the mo' but I have the utmost belief that he will return to his best - lets not forget that he has already proven some of his talent to the world by winning the Ballon d'Or and UEFA cup.

Right lets get this topic back on track, England V Portugal arguably the biggest match of past decade, for mind it will be a 1 all draw, Rooney scoring in the 28th min and a late equaliser by Postiga in the 86th min, attributable to a David James fuck up.

scores will finish level after injury time followed by a penalty shoot out, England will win 5-4 and go to the next match.

pele83 said:
Right lets get this topic back on track, England V Portugal arguably the biggest match of past decade, for mind it will be a 1 all draw, Rooney scoring in the 28th min and a late equaliser by Postiga in the 86th min, attributable to a David James fuck up.

scores will finish level after injury time followed by a penalty shoot out, England will win 5-4 and go to the next match.

Keep dreaming!!!

With the likes of Ricardo between the posts those dream will soon become a reality, hope my Portuguese is correct in saying that he will more than likely cometer um frango!

fd1972uk said:
super mick mcarthy said:

FD
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH you crack me up!!! I have gotten every ITV and BBC pre game, post game, and every single match from ITV and BBC since the tourney started. I have not missed a match yet, I also have TIVO so I can record all the games. HEY GUESS WHAT ELSE MATE?!!?!??!!! I GET SKY SPORTS NEWS AS WELL, TWICE A DAY!!!! So i will tune to that and see how much coverage i get, FELLOWS I LIVE IN THE BIGGEST MEDIA COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, did you really think we dont get this action?!??! :)
Ok I admit I went overboard with my rooney tore thru frances defense, but
silvestre is not that bad... FD your post cracked me up, Super Mick, thanks for the support :)

Dont worry about fd1972uk, he's just a bitter scotsman! lol, only joking ;)

faiers said:
when people say all he did was make one run against the french you have to laugh really. fair enuff if they want to take the piss out of people like james but rooney played brilliantly that game whatever way you look at it.

What excuses, how can he possibly have been so good when England defended for the vast majority of that match and France had the ball?

You want to see a twisted opinion, let's look at his goals:

vs Switzerland: six-yard header, would have been a sitter had he missed. The second was an OG, not Rooney's.

vs Croatia: first was 'chocolate wrists' from the keeper, should have saved it. Second was a good finish.

:mrgreen:

vs Switzerland: six-yard header, would have been a sitter had he missed. The second was an OG, not Rooney's.

vs Croatia: first was 'chocolate wrists' from the keeper, should have saved it. Second was a good finish.

Nothing you can say about his header really, good build up but you have to be there to score them
His second was HIS goal, not an O.G (Ask FIFA ;) )

His first against Croatia was brilliant, the keeper got a touch on it but it was the power of the shot that sent it in
and his second, what can i say

Rooney is great, the kid is only 17 and still the haters want to hate, give him a chance, his bloody brilllant.

Back
Top Bottom