The England Topic

Boro said:
Nicky Butt has been ruled out of the rest of Euro 2004 and Sky Sports News has just broken the news that England ARENT allowed to call up a replacement for him. So we're a man down for the rest of the tournament now...

That's really bad news, lets hope Gerrard doesn't get injured! Don't want to rely on Phil Neville in the holding position.

Phil Neville was awesome there for United last season. I wouldn't hesitate in playing him there.

hutch said:
Phil Neville was awesome there for United last season. I wouldn't hesitate in playing him there.

Really? . Never seen him play a good game for England. Shame about Nicky Butt though, he had a great world cup.

Yes NIcky Butt is a good player but we have now seen that dont need him, we outplayed France using Lampard in the midfield and he even scored a goal. Butt this season has only scored one goal in his limited apperances, so I really dont know whether he can play due to a lack of experience this season, however, I am almost certain that if he wasnt injured he would play against the Swiss. As he would get the nod over Hargreaves, Joe Cole and Kieron Dyer.

SulphuricX said:
Yes NIcky Butt is a good player but we have now seen that dont need him, we outplayed France using Lampard in the midfield and he even scored a goal. Butt this season has only scored one goal in his limited apperances, so I really dont know whether he can play due to a lack of experience this season, however, I am almost certain that if he wasnt injured he would play against the Swiss. As he would get the nod over Hargreaves, Joe Cole and Kieron Dyer.

Yes but all I was saying was that without Butt we are lacking cover for Gerrard in terms of someone who can play defensively in midfield... Lampard can't play the holding role, as seen vs. Japan. The team just looked completely unbalanced. Is it confirmed that Butt will miss the rest of the tournement?

i know u dont want to hear it but english fans cause trouble in portugal seen it on the news but dont worry uefa have said that there is nothing to worry about :roll: so much for their threat to kick out england if there was any trouble if that was a smaller nation like latvia they would have been booted out and made an example of.

biggertam said:
i know u dont want to hear it but english fans cause trouble in portugal seen it on the news but dont worry uefa have said that there is nothing to worry about :roll: so much for their threat to kick out england if there was any trouble if that was a smaller nation like latvia they would have been booted out and made an example of.
So we should get kicked out because of 10 people being contained? dont be daft mate

super mick mcarthy said:
biggertam said:
So we should get kicked out because of 10 people being contained? dont be daft mate

where did i say they should get kicked out i was only pointing out the a***holes at uefa saying if there was any trouble they would kick england out now they did not say how much trouble needs to be caused.

but i still think that if there was trouble on the scale of euro 2000 they would still s*** out of kicking them out they would rather make an example of a smaller nation first.

well thats it everyones played now

only been impressed by 3 teams and they are all outsiders

Greece , Sweden and Denmark

well thats it everyones played now

only been impressed by 3 teams and they are all outsiders

Greece , Sweden and Denmark

ClassicD said:
faiers said:
classic no ones denying theres more than england in the tournament. english people and the 'english' media wish to read and hear about england, including what the opposition think of us. it really isnt that hard a concept to understand. i cant believe you honestly think english journalists have no dignity because they asked the opposition what they think of england. its their job to get infomation which their readership want to read about. i cant imagine the practice is that different for scottish journalists or say with celtics matchday programmes.
Ok that's a very fair point, but that's fine if you live in England. I'd like some unbiased, non-England news once in a while, but it's not going to happen. I pay my license fee and tax like everyone else, why do I have to listen to this shite over and over, you tell me?

What about Bobby Robson last night:

Free-kick to France, 91st minute.

"If we can manage to get through this then I think we can hold out"

Then...

"What we don't want to do now is lose this game"

Well done ITV! :mrgreen:

well classic you have to listen to this shite over and over again because the vast majority of the audience is english and thats the way the media works im afraid. i may be mistaken but im sure iv watched scotland games where theyv been referred to as 'we' and i really have no objections to that. i can understand why it may be annoying but to claim that 'weydom' in an england game is a reason for hating the english is a little bit unplausable. (btw earlier, you accused the english media of being arrogant then said they were looking for validation from the french ????)

if scottish people want un-biased, non england news then i dont understand why they dont just sort it out. its not impossible for a small country to do and you have the daily record as a good starting point :mrgreen: . if you can have you own government then surely you can sort out atleast one tv station ? (what about local radio stations and the internet)

the one thing that really gets me is that you guys arnt forced to watch england games yet you seem to spend more time moaning about england than you do worrying about your own team. its harder for you guys to avoid but if it really harms your existance so much why do you follow it so religously. on a lesser sclae as a spurs fan i have to put up with arsenal this, arsenal that in the media but at the end of the day i cant complain too much as no one is forcing me to watch/read it.

lol, some good points there faiers. . . . i think the moaning is just a Scottish trait tbh :mrgreen:

as long as france dont lose any of their games we only need 4 points which is more than 'doable'. thursday needs to come along quick, i just cant get the france game out of my head and it has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the torny (same feeling i get every week from spurs though :( ).

on a more positive note if we do recover from the defeat then theres definately a chance we could win it. no ones looked that great and from the two favourites we know france are beatable now and italy really dont look that special. they're basically france with out the pace power and strength plus quite a few of there players seem to be living off reputations. were by no means the best team in the torny but i dont think we should fear anyone as long as were at the top of our game.

ps. we need owen to turn up.

pps. rooney should have been mom.

yeah defo agree about owen, i would put becks in there as well. we need to see him popping up on the left and really trying to get involved a lot more.

yeah true. beckham hasnt really been the same player for quite a while now though. after the greece game he should have really pushed himself upto another level but it hasnt really happened (be it injuries, fall outs or whatever).

faiers said:
the one thing that really gets me is that you guys arnt forced to watch england games yet you seem to spend more time moaning about england than you do worrying about your own team. its harder for you guys to avoid but if it really harms your existance so much why do you follow it so religously. on a lesser sclae as a spurs fan i have to put up with arsenal this, arsenal that in the media but at the end of the day i cant complain too much as no one is forcing me to watch/read it.

yip we are not forced to watch england games but when i want to watch other teams play each other i dont want to hear england this england that fair enough that the majority of ppl watchin are english thats fine if its an england game i can understand that but not if its say sweden v bulgaria.
so i should not watch these games?

sorry i dont agree with that BT, the welsh get welsh tv, the irish have their own stations, and i'm sure the scottish have their own bbc at least?

watch these channels if you dont want to hear about england.

loz said:
just found a few articles on 365 for some of our scottish cousins to mull over ;)

wits wrong with not supporting england i know a few english ppl up where i stay and we slag each other off when our national teams get beat ect. to say that scots are sad and bitter for not supporing england is just utter s**** the problem is us scots know how s*** our team is but the english over estimate how good the english team are.

loz said:
sorry i dont agree with that BT, the welsh get welsh tv, the irish have their own stations, and i'm sure the scottish have their own bbc at least?

watch these channels if you dont want to hear about england.

yip we do but euro 2004 is shown across the uk from london its not as say if it was the scottsh cup final bbc scotland same with itv its on itv up here not stv.

its got nothing to do with how good the respective teams are, certain scots just seem intent on gaining enjoyment when england lose. . . .just seems plain dumb to me, tbh.

after tonights italy draw and now the fact its almost impossible for them to top the group we now if we finish 2nd in group b cant face italy or france in semi final

potential semis opponent would be sweden denmark, czech,holland or germany

:D

SkySports News reckons we'll be unchanged for the Croatia game. Campbell, Gerrard and Scholesy missed training with blisters, Scholes is also suffering still with his ankle but all are expected to train in the stadium tonight. The only doubt is Owen Hargreaves, still having trouble with a stomach upset but again could well feature in training. Therefore we have a fully fit squad for the Croatia game bar Nicky Butt.

biggertam said:
faiers said:

yip we are not forced to watch england games but when i want to watch other teams play each other i dont want to hear england this england that fair enough that the majority of ppl watchin are english thats fine if its an england game i can understand that but not if its say sweden v bulgaria.
so i should not watch these games?

if its a problem then scotland should sort out its own coverage and stop using it as an excuse for coming up with 1001 reasons to criticize england. if the potential audience of a sweden bulgaria game was 50 million scottish people and 5 million english people i really wouldnt have a problem with them discussing matter affecting the scotland team as it would be of an obvious interest. even so to suggest that a ten minute discussion of england and a small interview can contribute towards an obsessive hatred (i have no problem with banter) is pretty pathetic. if you know the the pre match build up and half time analysis may have content about england which you may find offensive why not just watch the game and nothing else.

i find it hard to believe no one has even set up a radio station to offer alternative commentry considering how much of a problem it seems to be for some of you. you could even write to bbc, itv, sky etc and ask them to offer alternative commentary through the intertactive services. problem is instead of actually doing anything about the problem all the scots seem to do is moan.

Hargreaves ruled out
Midfielder Owen Hargreaves is unavailable for England's game against Croatia - but there is better news for Nicky Butt. Stomach upset for Hargreaves.

Can someone open the thread for this game yet or must we wait till Sunday? Thomasgoal?

Collina is Reffing.

Croatia (probable): Butina, Simic, Robert Kovac, Simunic, Tudor, Bjelica, Rosso, Nico Kovac, Rapaic, Prso, Sokota

England (probable): James, Neville, Terry, Campbell, Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Rooney, Owen

biggertam said:
loz said:
just found a few articles on 365 for some of our scottish cousins to mull over ;)

wits wrong with not supporting england i know a few english ppl up where i stay and we slag each other off when our national teams get beat ect. to say that scots are sad and bitter for not supporing england is just utter s**** the problem is us scots know how s*** our team is but the english over estimate how good the english team are.

no one has a problem with scots not supporting england, its the obsessive behaviour from some scots that make them sad and bitter. banter is fine and is part of what makes the game great but with a few (lot) scots it seems to run much deeper than that.

to say we should accept were bad just because you do is nonsence. if scotland had players like gerrard, rooney, lampard, beckham, owen, campbell etc and had gotten results like thes ones against argentina, germany and turkey id doubt you go on about how sh*t you were. as far as over estimating our team goes, realistically every fan does it but for me the problem is the scots looks at the sun and clive tysdale and go 'look at the hype, everyone in england must think like this, hoorah we have an excuse to hate the english'. a lot of english believe we 'could' win it and i dont think you can ever have a go at a football fan for that. as far as i can see most people before were saying england were behind france and italy in a group of teams that 'could' win it and so far that seems to be holding up. most people accept we have no flair and cant pass a ball around to save our lives, were just good at abosrbing pressure, containing teams and getting results (againt big teams). if iv over estimated anything please tell me but considering my bias i would say that is completely rational.

I wouldnt say we over estimated how good England is. We've got quality players and we've had the results that prove how good we are when it matters. You can throw your friendlys out of the window right now and concentrate on the competitive games. But we played well vs France, we've beaten the Argies, the Germans, the Turks, and all in all we have a team to match the big players (possibly exlcuding France). Yes we arent the most attractive team to watch but that doesnt mean we arent a good team. If we get the result needed on monday then we're in the top 8 teams in Europe. How can you say that we're not good then.

iv got a bad feeling about this game. we have to be careful to not underestimate croatia as they can definately do us if we dont turn up.

it could all go wrong but what a result it would be if we ended up with greece and avoiding italy in the semis. we probably wont win but we definately have a chance. knowing england though would it be better to play greece or portugal/spain ? you know you would get a performance if it was one of the latter two but its quite hard to bring yourself to say you want to avoid greece against those two.

Back
Top Bottom