The England Topic

For all English, i have view the game "Switzerland vs. Croatia" and the game is the more poor game in international competition, and i think France and England go to the next round, easy. ;)

good night (Blue nightmare) sorry :D

Come on then lads, I wanna know, don't stop posting now; what do we take from this game into the next one? What do we have to do to win the next game? What does the manager have to say, what do the players have to say?

Jack Bauer said:
Come on then lads, I wanna know, don't stop posting now; what do we take from this game into the next one? What do we have to do to win the next game?

In the words of Fat Les "Score one more than you", You being the opposition obviously ;)

Defensively we can take alot out of the game. Except we now know James cant tackle. We need to keep our heads better - i.e HOOF THE BALL INTO THE STAND. Offensively we need more movement. We need to drag players out of position to create room for Owen. We need someone to support Rooney when he holds the ball up and we need to rain shots down on them.

just dont dwell on this result and we can get through easy. unless france lose all we need is 4 points, shouldnt be too hard.

classic no ones denying theres more than england in the tournament. english people and the 'english' media wish to read and hear about england, including what the opposition think of us. it really isnt that hard a concept to understand. i cant believe you honestly think english journalists have no dignity because they asked the opposition what they think of england. its their job to get infomation which their readership want to read about. i cant imagine the practice is that different for scottish journalists or say with celtics matchday programmes.

Jack Bauer said:
Come on then lads, I wanna know, don't stop posting now; what do we take from this game into the next one?
Team spirit, it takes defeats to bring teams together. Gerrard, Rooney, Neville, Lampard, King and James have experienced a terrible defeat.

The good thing is that this is at the start of a tournament. Usually a defeat means that you're out and many of the players will not be back next time around, Germany 90, Holland 92, Germany 96, Argentina 98, Brazil 2002, these have all been England's first defeats in their respective tournament and ones which have sent us home. But the defeat has bought the team closer together (apart from Heskey who can be sent home for all I care) and we know as a full group how bad it feels.

Pros:
King and Cambell defence looks solid
Rooney has proved he is top draw stuff
First half showed some good football

Cons:
Poor backpass
Never sit back and loose possesion of the ball once ahead
Beckham shouldnt take penaltys (when has he ever hit a clean one, for example like Greeces pen the other night)
Owen at times is non-existent, id give Vassel the nod ahead of him to start.

faiers said:
classic no ones denying theres more than england in the tournament. english people and the 'english' media wish to read and hear about england, including what the opposition think of us. it really isnt that hard a concept to understand. i cant believe you honestly think english journalists have no dignity because they asked the opposition what they think of england. its their job to get infomation which their readership want to read about. i cant imagine the practice is that different for scottish journalists or say with celtics matchday programmes.
Ok that's a very fair point, but that's fine if you live in England. I'd like some unbiased, non-England news once in a while, but it's not going to happen. I pay my license fee and tax like everyone else, why do I have to listen to this shite over and over, you tell me?

What about Bobby Robson last night:

Free-kick to France, 91st minute.

"If we can manage to get through this then I think we can hold out"

Then...

"What we don't want to do now is lose this game"

Well done ITV! :mrgreen:

Penalty Takers

We have seen that throughout the season, both Becks and Owen have struggled with penalties. My suggestion, use Lampard.

SulphuricX said:
Penalty Takers

We have seen that throughout the season, both Becks and Owen have struggled with penalties. My suggestion, use Lampard.

Id say Rooney. Young, no fear, bags of power. Just welly it.

Rooney would be good too, but ima go for Lampard, because he is a more calm player and wont rush it as Becks did last night, same thing against Turkey.

Can't believe we lost. We kept france at bay for the majority of the game. Passed the ball well i thought.

Ledley king had a great game. As it got to the second half i knew that france would be on top and we would spend the whole time defending, bit like the argentina game.

Just bad luck. Why james slid in with his feet i dont know. If he had stood his ground he could have got his hands on the ball.

Bring on the swiss. If we pass the ball well again then there is no reason why we cant win the remaining two games. The swiss croatia game was pants.

I think its time we put this match out of our minds and look to thursday. We played well enough to win the game but for two errors.

Its a funny old game innit?

Come on england!

Harvy2001 said:
Pros:
King and Cambell defence looks solid
Rooney has proved he is top draw stuff
First half showed some good football

Cons:
Poor backpass
Never sit back and loose possesion of the ball once ahead
Beckham shouldnt take penaltys (when has he ever hit a clean one, for example like Greeces pen the other night)
Owen at times is non-existent, id give Vassel the nod ahead of him to start.

Has everyone forgotten that penalty becks hit against Turkey, or the one against croatia in the friendly. He hit five consecutive pens before missin one against Turkey when he stacked it, thats unlucky, he had sent keeper wrong way. The one against France wasnt that good due to the height that he hit it, but a yard higher and Barthez was beat. Thats how it goes sometimes. To say he has never hit a clean one is bollocks.

Hmmm yeah I dont like Beckhams technique for Pens, he seems to run up like he taking one of his free kicks, thats what cost him in Turkey and well last night according to BBC Sport, Barthez had watched many of his pens and said he always go that way.

Lampard or even Scholes, or just give it a bloody striker they are naturals!

Yeah i dont know why he went there, knowin Barthez. Usually he hits them so low that keeper cant get there but unfortunately it was in the perfect place for Barthez. Ive not seen Scholes ever taken one but im sure that he must be quality. I say give becks one more. Hopefully we will be 2 up against switz and we get one, no pressure, he bangs it in to regain confidence!! Then we go on to play France in final. 90mins up, we win a freekick, up steps Becks, we know the rest!!!

are we talking about last nights match here or in the england v france

please can the mods just lock one topic and use one

dandandan said:
are we talking about last nights match here or in the england v france

please can the mods just lock one topic and use one

This is the thread to talk mainly about England, selections, tactics etc...
The other is purely about the game and will be locked soon enough.

We can take lots out of this game.
1) Rooney, he was wonderful
2) King, as was he.
3) General defending, i though we handled anything France could throw at us.
4) Lampard.

i think you've also gotta put Sol's performance in there too, i thought he was outstanding last night.

Zygalski said:
Do England usually lose when they are shown on ITV?

yes they do, and guess which channel has the switzerland game

I think Eurosport has it too - boycott England games on ITV with their stupid 4:3 picture

don't take croatia likely, they're some dodgy yoyo side, and would most probably beat france. england aren't garenteed maximum points for their last 2 games and i predict they would only get 4, so basically anything can happen :roll:

Usually I find Ian Wright ok, but last night his comments were shocking. Talking about Switzerland and Croatia, he said "those two teams are pee-poor" and "bring them both on, on the same night".

ClassicD said:
Usually I find Ian Wright ok, but last night his comments were shocking. Talking about Switzerland and Croatia, he said "those two teams are pee-poor" and "bring them both on, on the same night".

hes likeable only because hes stupid half the time, it proves you don't have to be smart to be a footballer, ehem beckham...

The guy could atleast have a shave and wear something respectable. What makes him think its OK for him to turn up lookin a right mess and making inappropriate comments.

Dont get me wrong...I dont really give a shit...do think he could be a little more professional though.

Nicky Butt has been ruled out of the rest of Euro 2004 and Sky Sports News has just broken the news that England ARENT allowed to call up a replacement for him. So we're a man down for the rest of the tournament now...

Back
Top Bottom