The England Topic

stesh said:
It's such a nice problem to have though, having so many midfielders. No one has metioned Owen Hargrieves yet, do you think he could play the holding role better than Butt? I dont really see enough of him to say myself. I think whatever England do it should have Gerrard at the centre, he is CLASS!

Hargreaves is quick, good passer, quite gifted technically. I agree he should be given a shot.

SulphuricX said:
Yeh, it sure is a nice problem, having a selection, with a wide range of talent and options.

Unlike the Scotland manager... :mrgreen:

Thomspon was hailed as the answer to England's left sided problem, however never given the chance, only played once with Sven, against Sweden i believe.

Sutton would do well i think, hes the sort of player who can do a job anywhere.....execept for chlesea! ;)

Or David Moyes :roll: :lol:.

We might be pish but we've won our last two games, slate the opposition all you like but Denmark could only draw with Estonia, and they beat you within the last 9 months. That reminds me, who have you beaten in the last 9 months again?

Listen mate, we know we're shite, we just don't delude ourselves by pretending otherwise :mrgreen:.

England havnt done that badly under sven, in professional games, hes only lost to Brazil, that cant be bad.

ClassicD said:
Or David Moyes :roll: :lol:.

LOL! :mrgreen: True mate.
I dont really think Scoltland are shit i was just jokin! lol

super mick mcarthy said:
Owen is a brilliant striker on his day, but better than a Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Raul, Trezeguet or even a Vieri? Think not.

At the end of all of the strikers careers that you mentioned there, Owen will be in the top 3 certainly of goals scored in there career

He's playing in the English league ffs, goals galore, if you packed him off to Italy, he'd get his ass slapped like Ian Rush did and get posted back recorded delivery to Britain. All he is, is a bag of pace, once that goes, he's done. The guys you are mentioning are playing in top leagues with good defenders and statistically have not got loads of goals per season for their top scorer. Henry has been a winger in his early career and is now being used up front.

And TwoBlind, do you listen to your manager apart from on Sky minutes before a game? He's been on giving it how fit they are and they're at the peak and how it doesn't compare a bit to WC 2002. Then old slappy says after the game that the players where tired after 30 minutes, last count that's a 3rd of a game, you'll need to be fucking amazing to win a game in that space of time. Lampard also said they where tired, saying about the training, so no training during Euro 2004 then? :roll:

FD

He's playing in the English league ffs, goals galore, if you packed him off to Italy, he'd get his ass slapped like Ian Rush did and get posted back recorded delivery to Britain. All he is, is a bag of pace, once that goes, he's done. The guys you are mentioning are playing in top leagues with good defenders and statistically have not got loads of goals per season for their top scorer. Henry has been a winger in his early career and is now being used up front.

Ah so Owen is just pace, heres me thinking he has a great finish too
if jay bothroyd can make it in Italy, im pretty sure Owen can

And as for rating strikers on what country they play in, Larrson couldnt hit a fucking barn door ;)

Italian football is over-rated anyway, its just a stereotype that italians must have good defenders.IMO

Larsson's got a great record at International tournaments though, and was the highest scoring player at a British club with regards to European goals.

As for Bothroyd, I think he scored once. Ravanelli might even have a better record than him this season and he was at Dundee before that :shock:.

Ahhhh, don't mind him CD, he's in a huff because we're slagging off his lover boy. He supports Sunderland, but has had Michael Owen as his avatar all season, must be one of them crushes he has. :mrgreen:

FD

But they do have Nesta and Cannavaro, not to mention Cordoba, Ferrari and Bonera.

Larsson's got a great record at International tournaments though

So has Owen?!? :l

Ahhhh, don't mind him CD, he's in a huff because we're slagging off his lover boy. He supports Sunderland, but has had Michael Owen as his avatar all season, must be one of them crushes he has.

Had Mcarthy, Owen and Kewell (Becuase i was Liverpool manager for the fantasy footy league), Kill Bill for the last 2 month and Owen for about a week now because of the upcoming euro championships (you wouldnt know i suppose)

na na na na na ;)

super mick mcarthy said:
Had Mcarthy, Owen and Kewell (Becuase i was Liverpool manager for the fantasy footy league), Kill Bill for the last 2 month and Owen for about a week now because of the upcoming euro championships (you wouldnt know i suppose)

It took me about 5 minutes to make sense of that sentence. I was sat there thinking "where the fuck does Kill Bill come into this?"
Silly me.

Owen does have a good record, but he doesent seem to be the player he used to be.

I never said Owen had a poor record? I do think at the top tournies apart from WC98 he hasn't done much and been very quiet. I think he's too one dimensional. I also think him and Rooney up front spells trouble for England as they're too alike for me and players that Scholes and Gerrard don't manage to get there with the runs as the strikers just run with the ball using their pace.

FD

Yes i did. If you were talking about the national squad, bonera is in the U21.

Sven has confirmed the squad

here are the no's

1 David James (Manchester City)
2 Gary Neville (Manchester United)
3 Ashley Cole (Arsenal)
4 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
5 John Terry (Chelsea)
6 Sol Campbell (Arsenal)
7 David Beckham (Real Madrid)
8 Paul Scholes (Manchester United)
9 Wayne Rooney (Everton)
10 Michael Owen (Liverpool)