The England Topic

fd1972uk said:
JimJoeC said:
How you can argue that we don't have a chance is beyond me.

Bawheid, where did I say this?

Right, okay Jim, maybe you should be known as Mystic Jim now, as you know what I was ready to say now. After last night..............You have no fucking chance of winning it, no chance, your in it yes, but so are Latvia.

England will not win Euro 2004, you got me good and proper. I have said it now............I stand corrected. England do not have one player who could get in Europe's (never mind World) first 11.

And Japan molested you lot last night. Gerrard ain't a left sided midfielder and Lampard ain't a defensive midfielder. Even if you swap your left side goes tits up and bringing in Cole and Bridge on the left I think has someone who doesn't play in that role and brings problems.

FD

I've no idea why cant Sven just take off Scholes from the starting line-up when Scholes confessed himself isnt as FIT as Lampard. And I agreed with what "super mick mcarthy" sugguested.

What do you mean we dont have a player to get in europes 11? Is there a player in the whole of europe who is playing as well as Gerrard at the moment? What about Beckham, Owen on his day is a match winner. Sol Campbell is a rock in defence.

I posted this (my views on last nights game) in the Warm Up games thread, I have posted it here aswell as we are discussing the same thing in this thread aswell :roll: .

We were poor AGAIN like we always are! I know I'm not showing my national spirit when I say this but..."we have absolutely no chance of winning Euro 2004!!". How we can even be considered as contenders is beyond a joke. We are not a team, its just 11 blokes on a field with no idea how to play as a unit.

Japan going forward were far far more fluid than us, more inventive and a hell of alot more skillful on the ball. I lost count of the amount of times Scholes mis-controlled the ball - shocking.

Sorry to sound so negative but I haven't been pleased with an England performance for a long long time - we are sh*t!

PS The only good thing was I didn't hear the feckin England band play "The Great Escape" when we kicked off!

Yeah we were rubbish, but then what do expect when that Swede puts Lampard in a defensive role #-o and keeps picking Scholes ahead of him in the attacking mid role. Scholes out, Lampard in, Butt in. But you'll see, all he'll do is swap Lampard for Butt the nervous idiot.

PS if you didn't know him, could you guess which country FD came from? It's not hard is it? :lol: "your in it yes, but so are Latvia." would you like ketchup with that chip FD. ;)

I'm also REALLY worried that if our front men (not including Heskey) stood on each others shoulders they would reach a staggering 4ft 6". I know I'm biased because I support Saints but I honestly think he should have taken a second big man, like Beattie, incase Heskey gets injured.

You know I'm right Prof. :mrgreen: ;)

Beckham, ain't as good as Figo, let's all be honest and not let your heart rule your head, he's got far more in his armoury. Owen is a brilliant striker on his day, but better than a Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Raul, Trezeguet or even a Vieri? Think not. Gerrard is on top form at the moment, but between him and Viera, I know who I would want.

Scholes is brilliant too, although I think he's off form at the mo, but he still wouldn't get in the team. The rest........no chance.

FD

You'd have Figo in your European 11? I certainly wouldn't. People talk about the big guns at Real being dragged into the shit this season, but for me Figo wasn't one of them. He hasn't exactly shone this year.

Zidane, Vieira, Deco, Beckham, Ballack, van der Vaart - I'd take them all over Figo at the moment.

:mrgreen: LOL.............he's a fucking winger, I'd take Trevor Sinclair over Viera or Ballack if it meant them playing on the wing, get a grip.

FD

I'd have Gerrard over Viera. I didnt say i'd put Owen in i was just saying he aint that bad, i agree Henry is better, however Raul hasnt exactly been great this season has he.

fd1972uk said:
:mrgreen: LOL.............he's a fucking winger, I'd take Trevor Sinclair over Viera or Ballack if it meant them playing on the wing, get a grip.

FD

I think a lot of people would argue that he's more effective in the centre than on the wing. That's where he looks most comfortable to me. If it hadn't been for the arrival of Beckham in the summer, forcing him further outwide, then he might not have been so mediocre this season.

Though Beckham looks settled in that centre role at Real, I'd take him over anyone else in the world on the right hand side.

Well that's fine, however can you tell me who was Real Madrid's right winger before Beckham arrived then? I can't for the life of me remember anyone bar Figo, as Makalele and Guti where first teamers. So not sure where the pushed out wide comes from. He might've played the odd game in the centre, but he was their right winger for me.

FD

And about Raul, he's been poor, but has Owen been better? And I had the cheek to forget Schevchenko who's way better than him too.

FD

Figo has always played wide right for Real, although he was allowed to float infield. He can't do that now because Beckham isn't as good defensively as Makelele was and Real's central-defense is even poorer. Last year they could afford to let Figo play this position and style, but any mistake and they are punished now because they don't have the defensive players to cope.

Beckham is World class and that is that. it doesn't matter what people say he would walk into most people (except the scots) world eleven.

FD your Contradicting yourself by saying dont let your heart rule your head.

We were poo from about 35 mins on but only coz Japan finally woke up after we had scored.

Scholes is now Officially Shit in my book. how people reckon he has everything is beond me, Did you see him attempt a slid tackle last night.

Gerrard for me was our best player last night and he MUST play on the left only because no1 else does it as well as him.

I agree with you but saying Scholes is SHIT is a bit much. I personally think he a world class player who is suffering a dip in international form.

stesh said:
I agree with you but saying Scholes is SHIT is a bit much. I personally think he a world class player who is suffering a dip in international form.

Three years is a bit more than a dip. he dont play that bad for Manure. but come on he was awful. i would defenatly not call him World class, simply because he cant seem to perfom at all levels only when it suites him which i think is Gay!! :mrgreen:

Owen is a brilliant striker on his day, but better than a Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Raul, Trezeguet or even a Vieri? Think not.

At the end of all of the strikers careers that you mentioned there, Owen will be in the top 3 certainly of goals scored in there career

He's so underated its untrue, wait until Liverpool start playing good football that suites Owen's game, you will see the Micheal Owen of 2 - 3 seasons ago

Two_blindmonkeys said:
stesh said:

Three years is a bit more than a dip. he dont play that bad for Manure. but come on he was awful. i would defenatly not call him World class, simply because he cant seem to perfom at all levels only when it suites him which i think is Gay!! :mrgreen:

Yea i no hes been pretty poor for England for a long time. Sven should have dropped him in a few friendlies, its too late now right near a major final. The way i see it is Lampard and Gerrard MUST play if England are to do well. Do you think that Scholes's dip in for coincides with him moving position at Man U? I mean he plays as a second striker dont he at Man U, maybe Sven could move him there for England.

super mick mcarthy said:
Owen is a brilliant striker on his day, but better than a Henry, Van Nistelrooy, Raul, Trezeguet or even a Vieri? Think not.

At the end of all of the strikers careers that you mentioned there, Owen will be in the top 3 certainly of goals scored in there career

He's so underated its untrue, wait until Liverpool start playing good football that suites Owen's game, you will see the Micheal Owen of 2 - 3 seasons ago

I think Owen does so well considering the way that Liverpool play, it doesnt suit him at all.

Owen has been disspointing, where is the owen of the world cup, the one that was crowned 3rd best player of the world, the rocket?

Owen is a good Poacher. last night was the first time i have seen him produce a bit of skill in my life. Scholes has played in Center Mid his whole carrer and so should be playing badly for Manure not England. He has bigun to rot because he thinks he cant be removed. Even Scholes admits he is playing poo so i say drop the Ginga and Bring in Dyer, Lamps or cole to give the Opposition something to worry about.

Last night he played well, he had the Japs all over the place, but wouldnt we like to see some consistency, and how he used to be, scoring goals. Drop Ginger boy, put Lamps behind the two strikers, and bring Butt in as the holding midfield guy.

Couldnt agree with you more sulphuric! - Lamps was out of his depth last night in front of the back two. Dont get me wrong, he was no mug, but it's not a role he's used to. His form this year means he should def step up and sit behind the strikers, its what he does best, and with the attacking mind he has, he would leave gaping holes at the back when going forward.

Butt back in, Scholes out, Lamps top of diamond. Job done.

Yeh its a waste of his daimond him playing there. Even if Sven does not want to drop Scholes, at least play Gerrard in the centre holding role, since he has experience there, and put Lamps on the left where he has opportunities to go forward and attack!

It's such a nice problem to have though, having so many midfielders. No one has metioned Owen Hargrieves yet, do you think he could play the holding role better than Butt? I dont really see enough of him to say myself. I think whatever England do it should have Gerrard at the centre, he is CLASS!

Yeh, it sure is a nice problem, having a selection, with a wide range of talent and options.

Back
Top Bottom