The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

fuck that, considering all changes i just ordered a reduced 1st gen ipad. it's a nice thing to carry around and stuff, but not worth waiting and the extra bucks with what they introduced.

i can see bigger things with the ipad 3, might spend the "real" money on that one.

+i will not be quite as paranoid carrying around a 350€ device instead of a 500€ one. should be better for "daily use" :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if theres a way to copy a .ipa to the USB memory section and then install the app from there?
I dont have iTunes and with Installous, I basically have to download what I want through the app. But I have all the apps I want on my Laptop in .ipa files. Any way to use those?

Does anyone know if theres a way to copy a .ipa to the USB memory section and then install the app from there?
I dont have iTunes and with Installous, I basically have to download what I want through the app. But I have all the apps I want on my Laptop in .ipa files. Any way to use those?
You can install them via iTunes by dragging and dropping the .ipa files onto the iPhone/iPod.

You'll need AppSync installed to do this though, but you must already have this to be using Installous :).

Yes you can mate. Via SSH protocol. Make sure you have OpenSSH installed from the Cydia repository. Then just get an SSH client for your computer. I use CyberDuck on my Macbook Pro. Use your iPhone's IP address and log in with your details.

I do it all the time. I wirelessly transfer my IPA files over to the correct sub directory within the iPhone's file system. If you have Installous you can place them in/var/mobile/Documents/Installous. From there you open Installous and it will find the IPA's. Then just click install. Job done. :)

Its even easier if you have Safari Download Manager from Cydia. You can actually download full files including ZIP and RAR archives (with unzipping facility) directly through your iPhone's browser and with iFile (again from Cydia) you can move the files around the directory system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, thanks a lot for that. Will try the SSH client method. Its pretty much what I was looking for.

What's the best way of playing avi's and MKV's on the iPad? Is there an app that will play them without any kind of converting? I saw VLC was capable but that's since been pulled.

Will also be jailbreaking my iPad today so doesn't matter if the app is only in Cydia.

Cheers!

Edit: Also, what's the best app to remotely connect to a PC? I'm going to have a desktop setup in the spare room and just use it for downloading but would be handy if I could connect remotely with the iPad.

Further Edit: Just saw that XBMC player will do it, pasting the details in here for further reference ;)

Add the source:

Index of /apt/ios

You can then search for it

Here's a link to instructions

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...on_iPhone/iPad

Also Oplayer seems to work.

Yeah either VLC or XBMC if your jailbreaking Dags. I hear it works really well on the iPad.

I've just taken the plunge and bought an iPad 2. Could anyone help or advise me on something?

I have an iPhone 4 and all my music on there. I don't want to have to put all the same music on my iPad as well. So is there any way I can stream my music from my iPhone 4 and play it back through my iPad?

I don't think the iPhone or iPad can be used as an audio source to stream elsewhere. Both can receive streams from a computer though.

If you go on places like Mac Rumors, people with dev accounts are validating devices for a tiny fee of something like $2-$3. Some are doing it free too. They will validate your UDID so it is eligible for betas for 1 year.

Ah that's pretty good! I'll head over now!

Yep, got it done, cheers!

I liked the setup at the beginning, seemed more classy.

The OS itself.... Not really much different? Notifications work well, Safari seems a little slower too. No checkboard but just seems like there's some lag at times. Tabs don't seem to remember the page most of the time, kinda making tabs pointless?

iCloud looks like it'll be really useful, kinda making iTunes obselete really.

Day to day use though, not finding much different.

There are lots of small little changes, such as custom vibrations, iMessage etc. I didn't find it to be as buggy as some people suggested, and so far think its quite a good beta. I really like the notifications.

Hmm I think I might've found my first game that crashes under iOS 5. Just bought Reiner Knizia's High Society and it crashes as soon as you see the loading splash screen.

The beta seems a bit unstable really. Had Safari crash a good few times and experiencing a lot of crashes from games as well.

If you have your UDID code registered, you will be able to get all the updates in the coming weeks.

So far my beta has been pretty stable - but to be fair, I don't really play that many games, but the ones I've tried are working. I've set up iCloud and so far find it to be quite straightforward to use. I've backed up without using any cables and it's pretty quick.

Anyone tested iMessage yet?

Not sure about that, but on my iPhone 4 it's been pretty stable. I've been playing stuff like Angry Birds Rio and Hot Springs Story without problems - I haven't had any app crashes yet. The only thing I've noticed is my battery drains a bit faster with most notifications on.

Back
Top Bottom