The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

I'd check with o2 but on Orange you just have to make sure that you have roaming enabled. For data I think you just rely on the vaseline coming through before you go.

The alternative is to leave it at home you big geek, you're going on holiday. :)

The plugs are standard European jobs.

You don't have to do anything mate. Just make sure Data Roaming is OFF. It is off by default so unless you've changed it you'll be ok. O2 charge £3 per MB on data roaming.

I'd check with o2 but on Orange you just have to make sure that you have roaming enabled. For data I think you just rely on the vaseline coming through before you go.

The alternative is to leave it at home you big geek, you're going on holiday. :)

The plugs are standard European jobs.

Cannot leave it at home! Run my own web design business, so always need to be contactable :(

You don't have to do anything mate. Just make sure Data Roaming is OFF. It is off by default so unless you've changed it you'll be ok. O2 charge £3 per MB on data roaming.

If data roaming is off though, does that mean it won't connect to 3G whilst I'm out there?

Yeah, of course it'll function as a phone with data roaming off... Data roaming is literally just using mobile data abroad, so you can ring people and they can ring you, do text messages. But no email or safari etc.

Yeah, of course it'll function as a phone with data roaming off... Data roaming is literally just using mobile data abroad, so you can ring people and they can ring you, do text messages. But no email or safari etc.

Ta! Think last time I went abroad I didn't even have a mobile :(

Will have to rely on wifi for email then, that'll do I guess.

My mates and I have released an iPhone game called "Atom Splitter" in our spare time.

There is a more detailed explaination in this post in "Other Games"... :-)

http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=2042811#post2042811

Atom%20Splitter%20Logo_256.jpg

During today’s Apple event, Steve Jobs not only bragged about iPod Touch outselling DS and PSP combined, but also announced that Game Center will finally be released along with iOS 4.1.

The news came along with an announce that 1.5 billion “Games and Entertainment” titles had been sold on the App store to date, and a reveal of the new iPod Touch, that’s supposedly “on par” with iPhone 4.

The device contains the same gaming capabilities as the hallowed phone, but without the pesky AT&T contract and picture texts of shoes from your sister at 1:00am.

The new Touch contains the A4 chip, a 3-axis gyroscope, and upgraded screen with Retina Display along with a front-facing camera (per Joystiq).

The new iPod Touch 8GB model for $229, 32 GB model for $299 and 64GB model for $399 - along with iOS 4.1 and Game Center - will hit next week.

iOS 4.2 for iPad, which also contains Game Center, will arrive in November.

Ta! Think last time I went abroad I didn't even have a mobile :(

Will have to rely on wifi for email then, that'll do I guess.

What I always do is unlock my phone through jailbreak then buy a local sim card. In Italy you can get a payg sim with no calling credit, but pay 2 euros a week for 250mb. I think it will be more or less the same everywhere else in Europe. Roaming charges are far too high and randomly change your signal due to randomly selecting the nearest antenna.

When I get back to the UK, I simply uninstall the unlock and keep Cydia installed for infinifolders etc.

check out Epic Citadel, didn't realise the iphone could do that much graphic wise
Just downloaded that, the grapphics are fantastic considering it's on an iPod!

The whole point of the app to show off the graphics though, I imagine if a proper game was actually made with graphics like that it wouldn't run so smoothly.

Impressive nonetheless!

It will run smoothly. They demoed Project Sword, developed internally at Epic Games and its using the Unreal Engine 3.0 for iOS devices. Its based off the Epic Citadel tech demo and features exactly the same graphics. Not only that but it will be fully functional with Game Centre.

Wow, great! Didn't know that! :)

I just assumed that any AI, 3D models, animations, shading etc. that having characters and stuff would add would slow it down.

Well you are right to an extent but the iDevices especially the new iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and iPad are actually really powerful. iD are busy developing a version of Rage specifically for them and they have done remarkable things in terms of graphics. It actually looks better than what a PS2, GameCube or Xbox could produce.

Hopefully my iPod Touch 3G doesn't get too outdated, with the new one coming out and the iPhone4/iPad being more powerful.

I'm not paying for another iPod Touch just so I can play some of the newer games with better graphics.

I suppose there will always be clever games without fancy graphics, and I mainly use my iPod for music anyway :).

Not liking the new iTunes 10 at all, the icon is ugly and the interface is horrible! Not liking it being in greyscale, the icons for the sound looks like a child designed it and the traffic light icons on the top left just look weird.

Other than that, the new iPod's and Apple TV look awesome!

Does anyone know of any Bluetooth apps other than iBlueNova (which doesn't work for iOS4) for the iPhone?

iOS 4.1 is out now.

Main features are Game Centre, proximity sensor fix, HDR Photos and improvements to iPhone 3G performance.

A jailbreak exploit for this firmware has been found and will work with all iOS devices including the new iPod Touch. It should be out in a couple of weeks.

I really need this update. My proximity sensor has caused many of my calls to either end, be put on hold or muted. Also Game Centre looks great.

We should have a list of everyones Game Centre ID's as I expect this service to grow hugely.

Back
Top Bottom