The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Its fine for me as I will always jailbreak my iPhone's and this will be another reason to do so.

i thought it was more to do with games being developed in flash and then people easily using them on a non jailbroken phone

= less money for apple or developers

i maybe wrong

i thought it was more to do with games being developed in flash and then people easily using them on a non jailbroken phone

i maybe wrong

Well, Apple is hardly making any money on the app store so that is not the reason. It's also important to notice that the reason why they don't want Flash in their browser and in the app store is for two different reasons.

When it comes to (mobile) Safari it's because..well, first of all Flash barely exists on any mobile devices yet. Other than that it's more likely it is because they believe that it doesn't make for a good user experience and that it's not worth the hassle. This is of course something that one could argue about, although I agree with what Apple does so I am happy about that (just as I am about that "horrible" "closed" app store etc).

The reason why they don't want Flash in the app store is much more obvious - take multitasking and so on, it would be a nightmare to have to wait for Adobe to enable it etc. Again..worse user experience.

Well, Apple is hardly making any money on the app store so that is not the reason. It's also important to notice that the reason why they don't want Flash in their browser and in the app store is for two different reasons.

When it comes to (mobile) Safari it's because..well, first of all Flash barely exists on any mobile devices yet. Other than that it's more likely it is because they believe that it doesn't make for a good user experience and that it's not worth the hassle. This is of course something that one could argue about, although I agree with what Apple does so I am happy about that (just as I am about that "horrible" "closed" app store etc).

The reason why they don't want Flash in the app store is much more obvious - take multitasking and so on, it would be a nightmare to have to wait for Adobe to enable it etc. Again..worse user experience.

You are kidding right? They have made millions!

LOL exactly!! You got to pay apple money just to test your app on a device nevermind deploying it in the app store :APPLAUD:

Not a bad thing as apple can use the billions of money they get in profit to beef up the app store and maintain the high quality control but to say they dont make any money is redicolous

No, I'm not kidding. It's coffee money for them. Everyone always believes that they do, but that is very far from the truth. Sure they make some money..like how much they make from 0,01 second of iPhone sales or so. Let's look at some numbers:

App store revenue: $189 millions
Apple revenue: £33.7 billions

They probably buy toilet paper for more than that a year.. Apple does hardware. It's amazing how many times I've had this discussion though.

http://www.slashgear.com/app-store-operates-a-bit-over-break-even-for-apple-suggests-analyst-2391163/

More sources:

http://www.thebigmoney.com/blogs/app-economy/2010/01/26/apple-s-app-store-no-gold-mine-s-ok

http://www.pcworld.com/article/164922/big_profits_from_app_store_maybe_not_for_apple.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20008540-37.html

App store revenue: $189 millions. Thats still a shit load of money they are earning.

Dont matter what there overal profit is but 189m is a lot regardless mate.

App store revenue: $189 millions. Thats still a shit load of money they are earning.

Dont matter what there overal profit is but 189m is a lot regardless mate.

Well, that's a strange way to look a it. The point is that the app store profit isn't important to them. They do the app store for user experience not for profit. As they do with all software. They create software to sell the hardware..not the other way around.

so wouldnt adding flash support help sell there hardware even more then? had the iphone 4 had flash support im sure its sales would increase and by your logic, thats what apple wants.

so wouldnt adding flash support help sell there hardware even more then? had the iphone 4 had flash support im sure its sales would increase and by your logic, thats what apple wants.

No, because they don't agree with you. They believe that it would give a worse user experience and therefore sell less. I agree.

I think their reasoning is quite good though. If they brought flash to their iPhones/iPads/iPods, they'd lose control over the developers, as Flash is a 3rd party software. Apple want to be able to control all content and don't want Adobe to be the ones who suddenly have some control over Apple's software. It's pretty strategic.

In last months Wired magazine they had an article about Adobe vs Apple, and its got quite a lot of history to it.. so there are a lot of politics involved too.

We know from painful experience that letting a third-party layer of software come between the platform and the developer ultimately results in substandard apps and hinders the enhancement and progress of the platform.
-Steve Jobs

HTML5 is going to be on the iDevice's and that's very similar to Flash.

I was going to agree saying Apple are right in blocking Flash for a variety of reasons - all of which I agree with.

But you are right Dags, HTML5 will give a very similar experience as Flash. Perhaps it is more secure (one of Apples worries with Flash) and less prone to crashing.

I think their reasoning is quite good though. If they brought flash to their iPhones/iPads/iPods, they'd lose control over the developers, as Flash is a 3rd party software. Apple want to be able to control all content and don't want Adobe to be the ones who suddenly have some control over Apple's software. It's pretty strategic.

In last months Wired magazine they had an article about Adobe vs Apple, and its got quite a lot of history to it.. so there are a lot of politics involved too.

-Steve Jobs

as if they are not more than enough sub-standard bulllshit apps, approved by apple, in the app-store...

Flash may be the standard, but it doesn't mean its the best. I'd say about 90% of crashes / slowness in my browser are down to flash. Its pretty buggy and a massive memory hog.

I certainly wouldn't want it on my iPhone and not once in all of the time I have owned an iPhone have I been bothered that it doesn't support flash. It works well on PCs and laptops, but isn't a necessity for a phone.

Flash may be the standard, but it doesn't mean its the best. I'd say about 90% of crashes / slowness in my browser are down to flash. Its pretty buggy and a massive memory hog.

I certainly wouldn't want it on my iPhone and not once in all of the time I have owned an iPhone have I been bothered that it doesn't support flash. It works well on PCs and laptops, but isn't a necessity for a phone.

This is true. Half the time I can't even open the Equipe.fr website without it crashing because of the flash ad.

App store revenue: $189 millions.

So having flash could put a big dent in that revenue and also a big dent into developers pockets which in turn woud affect Apple and their great apps which is infact the selling point of the device (there is an app for everything)

however i still think your opinion is valid, there is probably many reasons why flash isn't standard on it yet

I've seen loads of people selling iPhone 3gs' brand new and sealed, and I know that a lot of unofficially sold iphones can be stolen or blocked... so I was wondering if a brand new and sealed iphone could be blacklisted?

yes it can

for example a truck load of iphones gets hijacked and the contents robbed

all serials/imei on the iphones that are missing will become blacklisted and blocked

Back
Top Bottom