The Apple Thread - Macs, iPods & iPhones!

Hmm, it does seem a bit dodgy now this signal issue has come out yes... But the bumpers themselves are pretty smart I think, and I was going to get one anyway. Protects the corners and edges of the phone from knocks and dents too.

:LOL: yea, that's what they want you to think!

Hmm, it does seem a bit dodgy now this signal issue has come out yes... But the bumpers themselves are pretty smart I think, and I was going to get one anyway. Protects the corners and edges of the phone from knocks and dents too.

I don't think you can have a "but". If you've spent hundreds of pounds on a phone, you shouldn't have to put a bumper on just to use it as a phone.

If you really hate the bumpers, you're pretty screwed unless you just want to use the speaker phone.

£499 for a nice iPod Touch V4, or £524 for an iPhone with rubber around it.

People reckon the 3GS with iOS4 is doing it too, but I've just tried it in various combo's and nothing effects my (admittedly shit) signal.

Nah it's no where near as bad as people are making out, well, my phone isn't anyway. If I put my finger on the bottom left metal casing and hold it there for about 20 seconds, the signal starts to drop from full signal down to about 1 or 2 bars, and the mobile internet cuts out. But holding it and using it normally I don't really notice anything.

You shouldnt be losing ANY signal just because you hold the phone different. For a £500 device, it's not acceptable.

Would you accept such a big flaw from anyone else but Apple?

Say your 360 decided to only spin the disc up once every five attempts, otherwise you have to reload the game.

Say your TV kept powering off every few hours.

Say your brand new car stereo skipped CD's.

It wouldn't be acceptable then and you shouldn't think it's acceptable because it's Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holding my fingers over the antennas does not affect my signal whatsoever. I've tried blocking one, the bottom two, all three - nadda. My signal stays perfect.

No yellowly / brown blotches either, so my iPhone 4 is just perfect :) well worth the 5 hour wait haha

I knew it wouldnt be Apples fault! Even when I knew it was Apples fault, I knew it would be our fault!

Oh hail Apple! I have now been learned. All is forgiven :)

===

Thankfully, Apple shows us HOW to hold it correctly...

hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong.jpg

Sigh...

Last edited:
No, you're right, it's not acceptable at all. But what can we do though? :LOL: I'm going to the apple shop in Bluewater today so I'll see what they say about a free or reduced price bumper, but I seriously doubt I'll get anything given to me...

I just played with one this morning and my initial impressions are meh.

Performance wise its the same as any old iphone. The screen is better, the shape and overal feel of the phone is excellent but the design of the front is poor as theirs too many wasted space that could have been used to make the screen bigger.

overall not a bad phone but not £200-£300 better phone than a htc equivalent

I knew it wouldnt be Apples fault! Even when I knew it was Apples fault, I knew it would be our fault!

Oh hail Apple! I have now been learned. All is forgiven :)

===

Thankfully, Apple shows us HOW to hold it correctly...

Sigh...

Well it looks like you prefer signal loss issues then having a bad keyboard and lack of apps. cant have it all. there is no "perfect phone" all phones have flaws my friend but for me, if a phone has issues with its normal phone capabilities then thats a deal breaker for me as first and foremost it is after all a mobile phone, not a gameboy/sat nav/mini pc etc etc. all those comes second for my needs.

Maybe the loss signal is not such a wide spread thing and its just idiots moaning unnecessarily?

You shouldnt be losing ANY signal just because you hold the phone different. For a £500 device, it's not acceptable.

Would you accept such a big flaw from anyone else but Apple?

Say your 360 decided to only spin the disc up once every five attempts, otherwise you have to reload the game.

Say your TV kept powering off every few hours.

Say your brand new car stereo skipped CD's.

It wouldn't be acceptable then and you shouldn't think it's acceptable because it's Apple.

Well said. I guess some people dont mind any defects from apple but if its another company they will slag it off and get rid of it. Liek i said above, whats more important on a device. good keyboard/ millions of choosable apps? or signal loses?

i know which one i find more important

Last edited:
Well it looks like you prefer signal loss issues then having a bad keyboard and lack of apps. cant have it all. there is no "perfect phone" all phones have flaws my friend but for me, if a phone has issues with its normal phone capabilities then thats a deal breaker for me as first and foremost it is after all a mobile phone, not a gameboy/sat nav/mini pc etc etc. all those comes second for my needs.

Maybe the loss signal is not such a wide spread thing and its just idiots moaning unnecessarily?

Well said. I guess some people dont mind any defects from apple but if its another company they will slag it off and get rid of it. Liek i said above, whats more important on a device. good keyboard/ millions of choosable apps? or signal loses?

i know which one i find more important

Not got an IP4, was too expensive and doubly more so it doesnt work properly! I'll certainly not be buying one until I know that issue is sorted.

I've got a 3GS now and more than happy with it and is infinitely better than the Desire (for me).

PBB, did you say if you're able to recreate the problem on your 3GS? I am now seeing people saying that they can recreate signal loss on their 3G and 3GS's since iOS4.

This isn't good PR for Apple at all.

Not got an IP4, was too expensive and doubly more so it doesnt work properly! I'll certainly not be buying one until I know that issue is sorted.

I've got a 3GS now and more than happy with it and is infinitely better than the Desire (for me).

Yes keep the 3gs. it is a great phone mate. does almost everything the new iphone does but more reliable and more cheaper. I should try and upgrade my ipod touch to the latest iosx? Will i use my jailbreaking feature?

Haha Steve Jobs response in that email is incredible. You've gotta love the guy.

At the end of the day, your much more likely to hear from people who have a problem, then people who have none at all. Its always the same.

That doesn't excuse it however but I personally don't think its as widespread as it seems to be. I personally, am having no problems and a number of other people I know who got IP4s yesterday are having none either.

Jog on jabroni.

kiss my rudy poo candy ass!!:BOP:

Haha Steve Jobs response in that email is incredible. You've gotta love the guy.

At the end of the day, your much more likely to hear from people who have a problem, then people who have none at all. Its always the same.

That doesn't excuse it however but I personally don't think its as widespread as it seems to be. I personally, am having no problems and a number of other people I know who got IP4s yesterday are having none either.

if its not as widespread as the 3rrod on the 360 then its fine but if it is then its not fine mate.

PBB, did you say if you're able to recreate the problem on your 3GS? I am now seeing people saying that they can recreate signal loss on their 3G and 3GS's since iOS4.

This isn't good PR for Apple at all.

Nah, I've tried holding it all different ways (oo-er!) and its fine. I dont get brilliant signal here from O2 anyways, but never have dropped calls.

I'm on iOS4 and notice no difference to be honest.

Though if it was effecting 3Gs on iOS4, then thats a bit more positive for the IP4 users as it shows more likely to be a software than hardware problem that can be fixed with a patch.

If anyone is going to join GiffGaff, let me recommend you so that I get some points for a referral :)

My Mail isn't working properly... basically it's doubling everything up. So if I have 1 new email it says I have 2, if I have 2 it says 4 etc. Weird... :ANX:.

I'm intrigued, why all this hostility towards Apple jonney? Did someone try to force some fruit down you as a child or force you to bob for apples one summer or something?

:D;)

Any good free apps I should get? Got eBay, PayPal, Shazam and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom